Emissions

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I think it was 60% reduction by 2035 and zero emissions by 2050 is the target.

Those old ships won’t be around for long.

It’s not just the fuel used to move the ship it’s all the stuff in Hotel . Incandescent lighting,old fashioned air conditioning,water production. It all adds up.

On the edge the other week the captain said it uses 17% less fuel than a solstice.

Thats a fair bit.

A lot of benefit comes from engineering some efficiency into it. Some of the newer ships require your cruise card in the slot to run the lights & aircon. Not any card like the old days, but a cruise card with RFID. 

Fuel efficiency of the hull and propulsion is a big deal, and a decision to schedule max speed at 16 knots instead of 19 has massive savings on cost & fuel efficiency.

Yes, the dinosaurs will be dead, and P&O will have other old ships by then.

48 minutes ago, arxcards said:

A lot of benefit comes from engineering some efficiency into it. Some of the newer ships require your cruise card in the slot to run the lights & aircon. Not any card like the old days, but a cruise card with RFID. 

Fuel efficiency of the hull and propulsion is a big deal, and a decision to schedule max speed at 16 knots instead of 19 has massive savings on cost & fuel efficiency.

Yes, the dinosaurs will be dead, and P&O will have other old ships by then.

There’s a rumour that Quantum maybe converted to duel fuel when isn’t in dry dock this November. Diesel / Methanol,  Ready for California.

Apparently one of the biggest problems with ethanol is the flammable vapour  in the fuel tank.

The void in the tank has to be filled with an inert gas like nitrogen .Plus the fuel lines have to be double walled and the void filled with nitrogen.

The vapour of the methanol is a lot more volatile than diesel.

• Like 1

The best thing would be to get rid of the smaller ships and just build and run the larger ones that can fit substantially more passengers on them. That's more efficient. It's a win for everyone, the environment and the passengers who end up with more to do on the ship. Having fewer ships would also please the residents of the countries who complain they are swamped with ships.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, colourbird said:

The best thing would be to get rid of the smaller ships and just build and run the larger ones that can fit substantially more passengers on them. That's more efficient. It's a win for everyone, the environment and the passengers who end up with more to do on the ship. Having fewer ships would also please the residents of the countries who complain they are swamped with ships.

This would cut down on the number of suitable ports in Australia, NZ and the south west pacific. There would be more tendering which is tiresome at the best of times. Not everyone likes the bigger ships. Our local cruise industry would likely struggle even more.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, colourbird said:

Ahm, I for one would not enjoy being on the latest mega ship, the shear thought of being on a ship that has 8000 pax, all there for a water park/amusement park, does not interest me.

Why would you go on a cruise, if all you want is a water world/dream world, is beyond me.

I'm not saying that people should not, just saying one size does not fit all.

Viva the old Sun Class!!! and yes small ships = more ports.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Ahm, I for one would not enjoy being on the latest mega ship, the shear thought of being on a ship that has 8000 pax, all there for a water park/amusement park, does not interest me.

Why would you go on a cruise, if all you want is a water world/dream world, is beyond me.

Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's bad or there is anything wrong with it.

Massive sized ships are obviously popular as they keep building more of them, which they wouldn't if they couldn't get people to sail on them.

We are looking forward to our trip on Icon and so too are thousands of others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, colourbird said:

Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's bad or there is anything wrong with it.

Massive sized ships are obviously popular as they keep building more of them, which they wouldn't if they couldn't get people to sail on them.

Sorry colourbird, did not mean to offend you, I'm ok with people who like big ships, as indicated the last part of my post. just don't understand theme parks on ships, seemed to me to miss the point of going cruising.🤷‍♂️

I was replying to your post were you said "The best thing would be to get rid of the smaller ships and just build and run the larger ones that can fit substantially more passengers on them".

I was pointing out one size does not fit all, and I would like to keep some smaller ships.🙂

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Sorry colourbird, did not mean to offend you, I'm ok with people who like big ships, as indicated the last part of my post. just don't understand theme parks on ships, seemed to me to miss the point of going cruising.🤷‍♂️

I was replying to your post were you said "The best thing would be to get rid of the smaller ships and just build and run the larger ones that can fit substantially more passengers on them".

I was pointing out one size does not fit all, and I would like to keep some smaller ships.🙂

No worries!

I love cruise ships and I love water parks, I'd never been on one of the mega sized ships, but when Icon was announced, I had to make a booking (which I did immediately), we always book at least two years ahead so Icon will be the destination for our two November 2024 cruises, although we have also booked the thrill water park in CocoCay twice (so we will be getting off the ship)!

If it's economical, some of the older small ships should be replaced by newer, more environmentally friendly ones. We were on Coral Princess last year and the captain was saying they were likely to withdraw her within the next five years, but there were no plans to build a replacement. 

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Couldn't agree more, John. Been there, done that mega ship-wise and absolutely prefer the smaller ships. I'm really not interested in a floating fun park.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, colourbird said:

I was waiting for the backlash LOL

I like the big ships and the small ones,they all have something going for them.

The secret with the big ships is to find a nice little place to hang out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

...and there are a lot of places to choose from!

When we were on Oceania Vista recently, that was a smaller ship with the least number of passengers of any cruise we have been on and that was only time everything seemed crowded. The small restaurants were often crowded, the buffet was too. I gave up on the theatre or finding a seat on deck.

The small ships may have fewer passengers, but they are scaled.

Ovation is the largest ship i've been on so far and although it was at capacity, people could spread out and there was always space available (except in the theatre when seat hogs would claim whole rows for family and friends who were yet to arrive).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colourbird said:

...and there are a lot of places to choose from!

When we were on Oceania Vista recently, that was a smaller ship with the least number of passengers of any cruise we have been on and that was only time everything seemed crowded. The small restaurants were often crowded, the buffet was too. I gave up on the theatre or finding a seat on deck.

The small ships may have fewer passengers, but they are scaled.

Ovation is the largest ship i've been on so far and although it was at capacity, people could spread out and there was always space available (except in the theatre when seat hogs would claim whole rows for family and friends who were yet to arrive).

We’re boarding Vista in just over two weeks.  We love the Oceania fleet, our last one, Sirena, is even smaller than Vista.  It’s older though, and therefore not as modern, but still very comfortable.  It depends also, of course, on the accommodation.  We don’t cruise more than once a year, or even two years, so we always reserve a comfortable suite.  We’ve never found an O vessel to be crowded, and we love the more intimate dining venues.  Full is not necessarily crowded, but a vast MDR that’s full would seem crowded to us.  At the end of May, we’re boarding Cunard’s Queen Anne, which is a much larger vessel.  It will be interesting to compare two new ships from different lines.  We’ve sailed in NCL’s Haven, which we really loved, on different NCL vessels.  Much larger than any Oceania ship, but once outside the Haven, the ships did feel a little crowded, simply because there were more people aboard.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, colourbird said:

And then all the ports would ban them because they have too many passengers - it's not the number of ships that is the problem, it is the number of passengers they carry.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, colourbird said:

People like new ships with new features and at a good price or value for money.

Cruise lines like big ships as they are more profitable to operate if they can fill them.

Thus, the new ships are big ships and that is why the big ships are popular.

I like small ships, I like big ships. As Chili says, you don't need to enjoy all of a big ship. Just pick a "neighbourhood" that suits. Itinerary first though, every time!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Couldn't agree more, John. Been there, done that mega ship-wise and absolutely prefer the smaller ships. I'm really not interested in a floating fun park.

Even as an old geezer, if there is a water slide I'll try it. Would like to try the flow rider like on Ovation but it was too crowded so had to settle for the water slides. If I got the opportunity in the future to try a flow rider it would be on a boogie board on which I am proficient, I would take too long getting to my feet on a surfboard these days - had to sell mine.

Having said that, I also have a preference for smaller ships but, for me, a greater priority is the itinerary.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It's not the size that matters. It's what you do with it...

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The blue pill continues the delusions while the red pill provides understanding.

You weren’t in the C.I.A ‘s experimental program where mic ,I saw a lot of monkeys in that testing session.

To keep all the greenies out there happy, the next Edge class ship,   Xcel to be launched in  November 2025,  is to built to operate on methanol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1