kazu

Today is As Young As You Feel Day, Daffodil Day, and International Goof-off Day

While there's life, there's hope. - Marcus Tullius Cicero

Meal Suggestion for today - Healthy Raspberry Coconut Cake
Drink of the Day - Pineapple Mojito
Wine of the Day - Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Cabernet Sauvignon 
Destination of the Day - Falmouth, Jamaica 

Today in History:
1954 Northland Center, the world's largest shopping mall at the time, opens in Oakpark, Michigan
1896 Charilaos Vasilakos of Greece wins 1st modern marathon in 3:18 at the Panhellenic Games

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Castries, St Lucia Island 08:00 - 17:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination San Diego, California eta 03-23

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 14:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Cozumel, Quintana Roo Mexico, Riviera Maya 11:00 - 21:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Pisco, Paracas-Puerto General San Martin, Peru eta 03-23

Rotterdam

Fort-de-France, Martinique 08:00 - 17:00 

Volendam

Vaitape, Bora-Bora, French Polynesai 08:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Puntarenas, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica 08:00 - 16:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Auckland, New Zealand 7:00-17:00 

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Kagoshima City, Japan Kagoshima eta 03-24

Zuiderdam

Singapore 08:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 26

Good morning Dailyites and thank you for the Daily Report.

The forecast is for rain today and early tomorrow. We can use it and the best benefit is clearing out some of the pollen. 🙂

I hope everyone here has a wonderful weekend!

20231105_050439.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Cruisins sister’s DS’s heavenly birthday

Seasick Sailor’s DH Allen with several skin issues

Nickelpenny having leg/hip numbness and pain; surgery in May

Haljo1935’s medical issues affecting working

JazzyV with R leg pain, numbness, seeing Neurosurgeon today

15 yo killed in MD fire.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; Haiti unrest

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s SIL in Rehab hospital, getting radiation treatments

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory issues

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Vict0riann’s DD not requiring surgery for her fractured humerus

Bennybear’s DS doing well with masters defense

RMLincoln’s DH’s eye pressure more stable

SusieKIslandGirl in Hawaii

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy discharged to home!

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for Lazey1 (Koningsdam Mar 23 to Mar 30) 7d Mexico

1 day for GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam Mar 23 to Apr 6) B2B 7d Mexico + 7d Pacific Coastal

2 days for RedneckBob (Nieuw Statendam Mar 24 to Mar 31) 7d E. Caribbean

7 days for Smmessineo (Rotterdam Mar 29 to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer

7 days for POA1 & Huskerchick (Rotterdam Mar 29 to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer

Lady Hudson (Vision of the Seas to Mar 23) 8d Southeast Coast & Bahamas, with her sister, USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei, Crazy For Cats (Eurodam to Mar 27) 11d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, Suslor (Zaandam to Mar 30) 14d Panama Canal, Scrapnana (Rotterdam to Mar 29) 12d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, RedneckBob (Celebrity Reflection to March 24) 8d E. Caribbean, then (Nieuw Statendam March 24 to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 26

Posted (edited)

Hmm, I suppose feeling young and goofing off could pair well together - I've got too much work to do to goof off today. Daffodils are pretty, although I don't have any. I like the idea of the quote - don't think it's always true, but wish it was. Cake for a meal? Ok but pass on the coconut, yes to the drink and wine. I was in Falmouth Sept 2022 - no pictures as they're on my computer. 

Today is full of work as I prepare for a 3 day weekend. And maybe bring a box in if my eclipse glasses arrive.

Please, Lord, no more house fires this weekend; there's been enough tragedy - let's have something wonderful happen instead.

Currently 55° headed to rainy 66°. The yard is beyond needing to be mowed, but there's still standing water in the back. The guy was going to come do just the front, but it rained again.🥺

Prayers 🙏 and positive thoughts for all. 

20240322_052134.thumb.jpg.8cae18df3da287a1d5c25162529db454.jpg 

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 31

Good morning friends!  This morning the temp is 55F with a high of only 60 expected and rain moving in by noon.  Why does it rain every Friday here??

Thanks Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for today's Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet locations maps.  I would like to feel young every day, enjoy daffodils, and goof-off occasionally. 🙂  The quote is nice and I would enjoy the cake but can't say that's a meal!  I'd better eat something else first.  No thank you to the pineapple mojito or Cabernet Sauvignon.  Interesting facts about this day in history.  Thanks to our F&B ladies for their reports today - Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard.  

Prayers said while walking this morning for all our Care list people, DB, great nephew Alex's twin boys, Scott, Susan and Sandy, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages being kept from their families, and our men and women in uniform in the region.  There was quite a list of Daily friends when I said all your names during prayers. 🙏 I wish the best for all of you!  Cheers to all on the Celebration list, anyone with a special event to celebrate, and all the cruisers.  Seems like more are gone than are here some days!  😀  Thanks to our C&C reporter Vanessa @JazzyV for your hard work keeping up the lists.  Prayers for your return to health ASAP and good luck at your neurosurgeon visit.🙏

Our destination today is Falmouth, Jamaica, an alternative to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay.  I haven't been there before because the last time we had it scheduled on a cruise they switched to O.R.  This was our port only once before last year on May 17, 2023.  Here's the link for your convenience in retrieving your photos.

Not sure what we will do today though I should do some dusting and vacuuming.  DD is coming down on Sunday to spend the night and then she will drive on down to Clearwater to spend some time with her DD Morgan.  It is spring break week for DD's school district.  I have done nothing to prepare for a guest but will have that rectified by Sunday. I know I will do more stitching today for sure.  Meanwhile, I hope everyone has a good start to their weekend.  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 28

Good morning.  Happy Friday.  Thanks for the Report.

Cold and cloudy this morning, more snow in the forecast.  We missed the worst of the storm yesterday.  We only got about 5cm (2in) of snow.

Three good days to celebrate.  I'm not sure how young I feel, it's too early.  Our daffodils in the garden have stalled because of the cold weather, when spring arrives they'll pop into bloom.  Today is a good day to Goof Off.

Love the quote.

The "meal" sounds good.  How can cake be healthy?  I'll pass on the drink.  I hope the wine is a good one.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List. 

Have a great day.  Stay safe.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

67 this morning, raining right now with showers and thunderstorms expected throughout the day, high of only 72, unfortunately no golf today.

Meh on the days but the quote is fine.

We’ve been to Falmouth and Jamaica many times but can’t remember the last time we actually stepped ashore. Climbing Dunn’s River Falls back in 1991 is still one the most fun things we ever experienced while in a cruise port, also enjoyed rafting on the Martha Brae river.
Pass on the meal.

Since we now have 2 official pieces of mail with our new address we can now get our new driver licenses and auto registration, good day to get this out of the way what with the all day rain.

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 27

Pineapple Mojito cocktail:

Ingredients
10 fresh mint leaves, divided
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh pineapple
ice
6 fluid ounces pineapple juice
2 fluid ounces rum
1 splash club soda
1 wedge fresh pineapple
Directions
Muddle mint leaves, sugar, and pineapple in a highball glass.
Fill glass with ice cubes. Pour in pineapple juice and rum. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with pineapple wedge and remaining mint leaves.

Screenshot 2024-03-22 at 6.57.01 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 20

16 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

...We’ve been to Falmouth and Jamaica many times but can’t remember the last time we actually stepped ashore. Climbing Dunn’s River Falls back in 1991 is still one the most fun things we ever experienced while in a cruise port, also enjoyed rafting on the Martha Brae river...

Our first cruise in the early 90's we also climbed Dunn's River Falls and consider it to be among our best experiences - very pretty. Sept 2022 cruise we also went rafting down the Martha Brae and thoroughly enjoyed it. At a stop where the guides went into the trees and swung out into the river, DH asked if he could go too. They let him! 

• Like 30

Good morning from a sunny 48°F North East England.

3 fun days today.

We are going to Goof off today.

A very true quote.

Today's food sounds nice.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

IMG_20240316_125542.jpg

• Like 26
  • Thanks 4

Happy Friday. Thank you for the daily and fleet reports. 

I will be attending round two of EMDR training today, Saturday, and Sunday. 

My Daffodils have been up for several weeks now. Every year it seems we get more and more. 

Expecting a rainy weekend. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

SMILE... IT'S FRIDAY! And if that alone isn't enough, have another cup ...

• Like 34

TGIF - and thanks as always to Rich, Roy, Vanessa, Dixie, Ann & Debbie.

Daffodil day is a big one for me and all those who want to help fight cancer.  It is a day to remind everyone of Cancer and the fight.  For many years, daffodils were sold by the Cancer Society to raise money and awareness.  if today is as young as I feel, I’m in trouble 😂. I will try to goof off later once I get everything done.

IMG_2220.jpeg.ba9a624b22d2ee0739990a1e2155f58e.jpeg

I like the Cicero quote.  Baffled on the Healthy Cake today.  If there really is a healthy recipe, it will be interesting to see 😉 I’ll pass on Jamaica thanks.  Yes, climbed Dunn River Falls years ago - beautiful - but other than that - no thanks.  Too  much harassment for me and my friend at the time - we got back on the ship and I have no desire to return.

image.thumb.png.9dfe77bfc1d27390aa73422b8a537088.png

Thanks for the different suggestions on trying to solve my back and aching leg issue.  Much appreciated and I will be discussing with my physio.  Just got notice that our port of Sete, France has been substituted with Marseille on our April, 2025 cruise.  Saying I’m disappointed (and pretty sure a number on the roll call will be) is an understatement..Oh well, not much one can do about it and lots of notice, at least.  This meme is true of all of my 5 previous dogs - but not Ivan.  He treasures his:

IMG_2213.jpeg.8fcce9b7034e7910187c8d5ebd4d33c2.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering loss, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising.  🥂 

• Like 34
  • Haha 2

Happy Friday!  I love daffodils.  This photo was taken in Baltimore’s Patterson Park by Barbara Haddock Taylor from The Sun staff.IMG_0324.webp.55d4b7dfe3060d1a5f3cf87d280e2ebc.webp

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

William Wordsworth

• Like 30
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone!

It is a cold and snowy morning here in mid-Michigan.  Schools are closed and my water fitness class is cancelled.  We may be delaying Farkle till tomorrow if it gets as bad as the forecast promises.  The heavy snow is supposed to come this afternoon.  What we have now is just playing with us.  We're hoping that they are able to clear roads tonight as Sue is heading north to pick up River tomorrow morning.  Actually, they are supposed to get less snow up there, so once she gets a bit north she should be ok.  I guess today will be popcorn and Netflix.  

So, we're having dessert for dinner today.  Oh, why not?  We've been eating healthy stuff like carrots and parsnips and turnips.  Time for some fun!  A perfect dinner for when you're snowed in watching bad movies all day.  What makes it healthy is that they substituted Greek yogurt for the butter in the batter and also for some of the cream cheese in the frosting.  And the cream cheese they did use is the light stuff.  I don't know how healthy it is, but it looks good!  https://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/coconut-raspberry-greek-yogurt-layer-cake/

raspberrycoconutcake1.thumb.jpg.c11b83d6179d99d8ae9918edb49e0604.jpg

This one is more like a coffee cake and might be appropriate since we're having it for a meal.  https://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/raspberry-coconut-cake-with-coconut-streusel/

raspberrycoconutcake2.jpg.f398ccab0cab0b10756e2e1190c448d6.jpg

This one is paleo and gluten free.  I think I'd opt for the first one with real ingredients.  https://www.cookedandloved.com/recipes/paleo-raspberry-coconut-cake/

raspberrycoconutcake3.thumb.jpg.46927d8fbbf5b1a4d59f662fad8d3f58.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day or at least better than yesterday.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 19

Good morning,

Just a quick note to all.

Thank you to Jacqui, Roy, Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie and Ann for your undying dedication to this thread.

I am off to the foot doctor for a second injection.  I have a neuroma on my right foot.  Had an injection two weeks ago.  It helped some, but not enough.  Going to try another.

It is raining and promises to keep doing so all day.  I have to drive to Hilton Head to the doctor.  Always lots of traffic.  Rain makes it worse.

Will try to post again later.  Have a 9:45 appt.   Have to get going.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It is cold here with lots of rain heading our way by tomorrow. I guess I better get out and about today. My head still feels young but the body has different ideas. Daffodils have been spotted here over the last week but they will have to deal with the cold temps now. Goofing off sounds nice but needs a plan…which defeats the purpose, right? I have not been to Jamaica. The cake looks mighty fine to me but someone else should make it as my baking skills are not the best.

Yesterday I took my BFF to see her sister in another town. It was so nice to see the sisters reunited. They had both had health issues and no longer drive and hadn’t seen each other since last summer. I was glad that I could bring them together and we planned another visit for mid April. 
I was so sorry to read about our Dailyites that are going through such painful  situations. Sending hugs and prayers to all, @kazu, @Nickelpenny, and @JazzyV as well as @Cruzin Terri. It takes so much energy to manage when the pain is exacerbated. 
Enjoy the day today.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Jacqui! Roy thank you for our maps. It is raining today. Much needed and a much more gentle rain than Monday’s wild T-storm. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that your neurosurgeon can find a permanent solution to your pain. Soon. 

My Sister is ready to come home tomorrow. Her PT & OT gurus have really shown her how to manage to be independent and provided a path for her to grow stronger. Now she just has to do it. Brayden is going to be her coach. She has a tendency to play victim so Brayden will need to be strong. 

Brayden put together the rollator his Uncle ordered, and the tub transfer seat that we ordered last night. We installed the transfer seat this morning and the rollator is in the back of my car already for tomorrow. We are all ready for this to happen!

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, thinking of you and Tana. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Cabernet Sauvignon 2020

I used the 2020 vintage info, since it should still be easy to find. A gazillion distributors with online prices starting at a very reasonable $12.98.

Distributor notes

The Francis Coppola Diamond Collection began in 1997 as an ambitious endeavor to make wines of character and complexity at an affordable price. Sourced from California vineyards that not only have proven track records but are also managed according to winemaker Corey Beck's rigorous standards. Their Diamond Collection Cabernet Sauvignon is a classic California expression of the varietal, with immediate drinkability. Offering a fruit-forward, multi-dimensional flavor profile, this is a perfect California Cabernet Sauvignon when you just want to grill on the BBQ and enjoy a glass of wine.

The Wine Buyer: 91 Points

"Harmonious, with plenty of flavors of black cherry, plum, wild berry, anise and leather that fold together nicely into a structured long finish. The tannins are evident and will provide at least 2-3 years of aging.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 14

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning from a sunny 48°F North East England.

3 fun days today.

We are going to Goof off today.

A very true quote.

Today's food sounds nice.

I hope everyone has a lovely day.

IMG_20240316_125542.jpg

Photo last week from our hotel balcony in the English Lake District.

I hope everyone is happy and enjoying today.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Sunny and cold at 25, at least yesterday’s wind seems mostly over. And sun is nice!  

DH got bloodwork results and his psa has gone up more, not what we want to see but I guess not unexpected, it’s been trending up since he finished radio in 2020. We’ll hear what his oncologist thinks when we have the phone consult in a couple of weeks. He’s gotten us this far so we’ll keep going down the path. 

I was very sore last night after zoom chair-yoga, hoping today the hip recovers. It’ll be an easier day, I’ll phone in to join my spiritual companioning group in Maryland. That’s usually very nourishing. 

We’re looking at options for an Easter outing. Considered visiting my parents graves but the cemetery is closed Sundays!  As a child I remember always going to the two family cemeteries on Palm Sunday with fresh flowers and palms. I guess times change. I was to their graves in 2014 when our cruise around South America terminated in NY… we added a day to hopefully see my brother then but he refused us, so we used that opportunity to visit my old area from my teens and early twenties. Doesn’t seem like it was 10 years ago!  Never thought I’d be living in this region again!  

Blessings sent for all in need. Lifting up those in pain, grief, despair. May your path be guided to healing, comfort and hope!  
Cheers for all the celebrations, it’s important to remind us all that Life is Good🌈

Smooth travel blessings for all away especially our cruisers. 
Enjoy something beautiful today!🌷

Maureen

@erewhon, missing you, hoping you both are ok, off enjoying the world!  

• Like 31