Carry on luggage rather than drop bag……

Globaler

Can you carry your luggage on rather than leave it outside to be delivered later? Going to Europe for 3 months and don’t want to risk anything getting lost.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Luggage has to fit the the x-ray machines which seem to be the same size as those at airport security.  And obviously you have to do all the lifting.

Edited by capriccio

16 minutes ago, Globaler said:

Can you carry your luggage on rather than leave it outside to be delivered later? Going to Europe for 3 months and don’t want to risk anything getting lost.

So long as you put the Princess luggage tags on your bags properly, there's very little chance they will not be put on board the ship and delivered to your cabin.  One time one of my smaller bags lost it's tag and it was at Guest Services with several other bags that also were without tags.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Globaler said:

60 Princess cruises and zero bags lost   Be aware that if rooms are not ready when you board that you may have to haul those bags around the ship

Edited by memoak
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, eclue said:

We cruise a lot and always carry our large luggage on the ship. Have never had a problem. They fit through the scanners just fine.

We are also on a 2 week med cruise boarding in civitavecchia.

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Not everyone has an iPhone. Airtags are only compatible with iPhones.

We have AirTags but if your bags are left not much can be done 😳

15 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

They do make luggage tags for Androids.  For examples, just search Android luggage tracker tags on Amazon.

• Like 3

Air Tags are great.  They've helped us in the past.  
Just make SURE you can very easily lift your suitcase to the conveyor belt for the scanner.  Too many people struggle with it and all their other belongings and it holds up the line.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

Air Tags are great.  They've helped us in the past.  
Just make SURE you can very easily lift your suitcase to the conveyor belt for the scanner.  Too many people struggle with it and all their other belongings and it holds up the line.

Since we are traveling for a while past the TA, we are bring the medium sized suit case so not to big.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, capriccio said:

They do make luggage tags for Androids.  For examples, just search Android luggage tracker tags on Amazon.

The only ones that actually work are specifically for Samsung phones. Again, not nearly all people with Android phones have Samsung phones.

I should clarify that the reason only the Samsung ones really work is that, like AirTags, they only require people with a specific type of phone to be in BlueTooth range, but it doesn't have to be YOUR phone. All the others, like Tile, require the tag to be in BlueTooth range of YOUR phone. Great for finding your keys in your house, but not great for finding your keys across town.

Edited by JamieLogical

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

There is an android version.  I use the Samsung version which is exceptional

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

Even if the room isn't ready when you board you can always drop off the bags & go straight to lunch.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 555 said:

Even if the room isn't ready when you board you can always drop off the bags & go straight to lunch.

not always...sometimes they close the fire doors and not allow any access to cabins.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, chrysalis said:

not always...sometimes they close the fire doors and not allow any access to cabins.

Definitely true depends on time and ship. The stewards are very busy and do not need people getting in their way

• Like 3

This is one off situation...In Barcelona on the Grand Princess many moons ago, the forklift used to transfer luggage malfunctioned causing some people's luggage to fall into the water below from the luggage carts.  Mine and my grandma's luggage were some of the casualties.  Guest Services gave us OBC in the amount of the cruise fare while we were onboard and when we got home both of us received a $1000 check from Princess.  

Tracking tags won't help if this is the situation.  As the airlines advise, it's best to have meds and anything of value in your hand carried luggage where it's always in your possession.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Guest Services gave us OBC in the amount of the cruise fare while we were onboard and when we got home both of us received a $1000 check from Princess

I'd trade that for my forever lost luggage. 

"Yeah, I'm wearing a 'Princess' t-shirt on formal night, so what?  What are you looking at?!"

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

There is an android version.  I use the Samsung version which is exceptional

Right, but that one requires you to have a Samsung phone. There is no version that works with other brands of Android phones.

5 hours ago, Globaler said:

Sounds good they are medium size bags so not so sure can fit on scanner.

I can’t speak for every port but lately, I’ve seen people in San Francisco bringing their pieces of luggage onboard with them. I’ve not really seen that in the past before CoVid but I always see it now.  

• Like 3