*LIVE* Random observations from a Haven Vet trying Yacht Club - MSC Seascape March 23-30

Lupush

Food is subjective, but we didn't love the YC restaurant either (except for the pasta dishes, which were all excellent & the Tiramisu dessert!)  Getting coffee after dinner to have with dessert, took forever. We did like the YC poolside buffet for breakfast & lunch. We tried the YC restaurant for breakfast one morning and even though our order was promptly taken, our food never arrived (despite those around us, who arrived later, getting their food).  We said something and they apologized but our food still didn't come out (apparently, they were struggling that morning with scrambling eggs). 

My husband wished they had a poolside dinner buffet as well (he dislikes the wait time in between courses. He's not a big fancy dinner service guy.)

• Like 1

Really enjoying your observations.  Sorry to see your YC dining experience is lacking.  So strange the lack of consistency from ship to ship.  We have never sailed the ship you are on currently, but have enjoyed Meraviglia, Seaside (least favorite ship) and Seashore.  In all three experiences, the YC food and service have been great!  Hoping it gets better for you!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 12:58 AM, Two Wheels Only said:

I don't like the balcony on the Royal Suites for the World Class.

You are the cabin expert. What is it about the balcony of the RS and OS that does not compare to those on the Seaships?

14 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

You are the cabin expert. What is it about the balcony of the RS and OS that does not compare to those on the Seaships?

With them both being forward-facing, MSC uses higher glass to block the wind. This makes taking photos more difficult and doesn't feel as "open" as a RS/OS side balcony on the Sea*** ships. The World Class RS balcony seems enclosed like the Meraviglia RS balcony. 

For World America, I booked a Duplex Suite which has a 2nd balcony that is higher and more open. The lower balcony is shielded by the high glass but the upper balcony feels more like a balcony. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

With them both being forward-facing, MSC uses higher glass to block the wind. This makes taking photos more difficult and doesn't feel as "open" as a RS/OS side balcony on the Sea*** ships. The World Class RS balcony seems enclosed like the Meraviglia RS balcony. 

For World America, I booked a Duplex Suite which has a 2nd balcony that is higher and more open. The lower balcony is shielded by the high glass but the upper balcony feels more like a balcony. 

Sehr gut ! You are right, though I notice that the Duplex loungers do not have the cushions and for the long hours I spend, I need a cushion lounger. 

On 3/24/2024 at 9:17 AM, Lupush said:

It does not seem like they vacuum the carpets enough, however.  Not that the carpets are dirty per se, there are small pieces of paper, crumbs, etc. that have been noticeable in various areas of the ship

Now let me be nitpicky as well. Here is the chair in the atrium on the Regent Grandeur at 6 am disembarkation day. A close-up of the crumb DW found and would not sit down. So I guess it happens on every cruise ship, no exceptions.

IMG_3838.jpg

IMG_3837.jpg

13 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It does not seem like they vacuum the carpets enough, however.  Not that the carpets are dirty per se, there are small pieces of paper, crumbs, etc. that have been noticeable in various areas of the ship

This was our balcony in the Haven.

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

Good Afternoon from Cozumel!  Enjoying MSC so far.  Skipped the YC Restaurant last night and did Kaito Sushi instead. It was excellent and my Son really enjoyed the experience.  Our Butler Ram has been the best we’ve experienced on any sailing.  Him and our Cabin Steward, Tweety have been exceptional.  Currently sitting in a hot tub, drinking a beer docked next to NCL Prima. No complaints. IMG_6333.thumb.jpeg.335245ee865b8cbca7a27d21787388f6.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Best bets for breakfast and lunch in YC are up at the One Pool. Good variety, excellent service and no waiting like in the YC restaurant. Butcher's Cut is also excellent for dinner - at least one night! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

• Like 2

For the  YC restaurant, we go on embarkation day and talk to the Maitre' d about getting a set dinner time and table with the same table staff. Has worked every time as we prefer a 6 or 6:30pm seating. Once you get past 7:30pm, they hesitate as that gets into peak dinner service time.

We've only had great service this way as our servers get to know us, have our preferred bottle of wine waiting at our table when we arrive, know that we like a family-style plate of risotto to share as a side, and learn which dishes to recommend to us based off previous orders/likes/dislikes, etc.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gimletgal said:

Best bets for breakfast and lunch in YC are up at the One Pool. Good variety, excellent service and no waiting like in the YC restaurant. Butcher's Cut is also excellent for dinner - at least one night! Enjoy the rest of your cruise!

25 minutes ago, psmarkle said:

For the  YC restaurant, we go on embarkation day and talk to the Maitre' d about getting a set dinner time and table with the same table staff. Has worked every time as we prefer a 6 or 6:30pm seating. Once you get past 7:30pm, they hesitate as that gets into peak dinner service time.

We've only had great service this way as our servers get to know us, have our preferred bottle of wine waiting at our table when we arrive, know that we like a family-style plate of risotto to share as a side, and learn which dishes to recommend to us based off previous orders/likes/dislikes, etc.

Agree with both.  Having sailed the MSC YC 70N pre-pandemic from 2017-2019, both posts represent our typical 'plan' outside of nights outside.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, psmarkle said:

Good info. 

We hope things go well for you

Having sailed MSC YC 8 times in a few years--we can say we are hooked

Re food-- MSC leans into Euro - Ital and less salt, smaller portions etc

That said--we just did a YC on Seashore and a YC on Divinia..in the last month. Dishes on Seashore like Asparagus Pannacotta were Amazing and a huge miss on Divinia.

Embarkation lunch which we have had 8 times--varies by kitchen/supervising chef even with the same menu. Yet its been executed differently. 

Have done  6 Mera sailings (B2B)

then, Merav B2B2B2B, then Seashore and Divinia

We were a bit surprised to see the variation from the kitchen. 

That said, we will be interested to hear what you think.

We absolutely avoid sailing during spring break-with families-kids

• Like 1

Love Divina. Have sailed 3x YC on her and at least as many on the Seax ships. 

The YC Divina in February was seriously underwhelming. As though no chef in charge. Fillets that were so poorly cut as to be inedible (well, not really, but not YC quality), cold dishes, when asked for a “double” given two plates instead of being replaced as one …cold risotto

The service is wonderful. Mehmet is amazing. But the chef is totally absent. 

• Thanks 1

Good morning from somewhere off of Ocean Cay!  Unable to dock due to high winds, but word is the Captain is going to give it another try around noon.  Mustafa the YC Director chatted with us and asked specifically of our experience in YC Restaurant. We gave him our honest opinion and he was genuinely appreciative of the feedback. We were surprised to find a complimentary specialty dining experience letter with his compliments waiting for us in the cabin.  So, Butchers Cut will be the spot for our last night.  In fairness, the food and service in the restaurant has improved as the week went along. Italian night last night was very good.  The YC’s pistachio crusted rack of lamb is among the best I’ve ever had. 

Took us a few days to figure out the best way to do YC. We do breakfast and lunch at the pool buffet. Service has been excellent and enough variety for the whole family.  The pool bar service has been the best we’ve ever had.  In the evenings, me’ve learned going early is the best bet.  

We’ve enjoyed our week on Seascape, and decided to book an Owners Suite on a 4 night Spring Break cruise on Seashore next year.  Haven remains our preference, but it’s nice to have another comparable option.

Some pics from the pool deck. You can get an idea of the wind today by looking at the flags on the mast.IMG_6339.thumb.jpeg.654a9207bc77e711b6f906eae490b3f7.jpegIMG_6337.thumb.jpeg.8aeeaf5c831b37f774770a57e462953f.jpegIMG_6338.thumb.jpeg.01e4f55961b663ff0280194c39ecb503.jpegIMG_6340.thumb.jpeg.5ea1a3192cd13f9cf80129404ec322c9.jpegIMG_6341.thumb.jpeg.e32b92738616aab955aa389e7a48b6fe.jpeg

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Lupush said:

The YC’s pistachio crusted rack of lamb is among the best I’ve ever had. 

Yep, that is why I plan to ask for it 2-3 per week on our B2B starting tomorrow.  It's my favorite at sea and, after reading your earlier comments about the YC restaurant, was really glad to see this note.  👍

48 minutes ago, Lupush said:

Took us a few days to figure out the best way to do YC. We do breakfast and lunch at the pool buffet. Service has been excellent and enough variety for the whole family.  The pool bar service has been the best we’ve ever had.  In the evenings, me’ve learned going early is the best bet.  

Now you're on top of things!  Congratulations.  

13 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

Love Divina. Have sailed 3x YC on her and at least as many on the Seax ships. 

The YC Divina in February was seriously underwhelming. As though no chef in charge. Fillets that were so poorly cut as to be inedible (well, not really, but not YC quality), cold dishes, when asked for a “double” given two plates instead of being replaced as one …cold risotto

The service is wonderful. Mehmet is amazing. But the chef is totally absent. 

I’ve ordered filet in the YC twice this week, both times medium rare. Both times the temperature was extremely over.  Hope Butcher’s Cut gets it right.