Cancellation Options

Posted (edited)

We have Icon booked in June (great price the day it went on sale) and we just passed final payment date a couple weeks ago. We found this week that summer school is that week so we may have to change our plans.

Anyone had any luck moving dates past final payment date (not looking for money back)? I know we could have moved for a $100 per person penalty before final payment but I think that doesn’t apply now. We could cancel pay the current penalties as a last resort.

Just curious of real life experiences with Royal.

Edited by CruisingHogFan

After final I'm not aware of any good options to cancel. The sooner the less you lose. 

I lost a cruise last year, my TA didnt know of any way to get a refund even back then other than a positive covid test which I doubt works now. Call and ask to move it and see if they will mlve it is all I can suggest. .. try..

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

After final I'm not aware of any good options to cancel. The sooner the less you lose. 

I lost a cruise last year, my TA didnt know of any way to get a refund even back then other than a positive covid test which I doubt works now. Call and ask to move it and see if they will mlve it is all I can suggest. .. try..

Yes, that’s my understanding as well but thought I would ask on here.

We have a room for 3 and could “sell” our cruise to friends but I rather not go through that.

10 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

We have a room for 3 and could “sell” our cruise to friends but I rather not go through that.

Have to leave one original pax on the booking unless it's some kind of wierd charter where you can. If you can manage to recoup some money why not?

56 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

You can't sell your cruise to friends without leaving one of the original people in the cabin.  We have cancelled after final and have been able to use cancel for any reason insurance that we had purchased.  We tried to move the cruise but were not allowed.  Don't wait to make your decision as you are likely near the next level of penalty.  You might still "only" lose 25% depending on dates.  I would also look into whether you can remove the third person before outright cancelling.  That might get you that person's cruise fare back.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/booking-cancellation-refund-policy?

2 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

We have Icon booked in June (great price the day it went on sale) and we just passed final payment date a couple weeks ago. We found this week that summer school is that week so we may have to change our plans.

Anyone had any luck moving dates past final payment date (not looking for money back)? I know we could have moved for a $100 per person penalty before final payment but I think that doesn’t apply now. We could cancel pay the current penalties as a last resort.

Just curious of real life experiences with Royal.

Post Covid there are no exceptions.  For the first 15 days you are in the 25% cancellation phase, after that you jump to the 50% phase, sound like you are right on the wire.

Prior to Final Payment Due Date No Charge (except for Non-Refundable Deposit amounts)

89 to 75 Days Prior to Sailing...25 % per Guest

74 to 61 Days Prior to Sailing...50 % per Guest

60 to 31 Days Prior to Sailing...75 % per Guest

30 to 0 Days Prior to Sailing...  100 % per Guest

47 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Pretty sure they don't have insurance which is why they are asking

We always buy insurance just not the xtra for cancel for any reason. If we end up canceling I’m still coming out ahead over the years buy not getting it as this is the first time I’ve had a issue

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Post Covid there are no exceptions.  For the first 15 days you are in the 25% cancellation phase, after that you jump to the 50% phase, sound like you are right on the wire.

Prior to Final Payment Due Date No Charge (except for Non-Refundable Deposit amounts)

89 to 75 Days Prior to Sailing...25 % per Guest

74 to 61 Days Prior to Sailing...50 % per Guest

60 to 31 Days Prior to Sailing...75 % per Guest

30 to 0 Days Prior to Sailing...  100 % per Guest

Thanks!! This is what I expected.

I don't mind the cancellation fee. It will be less than 1k as of now. It’s just losing the great price we have and I’ve been looking a replacement dates.  Every sailing on Icon for the next year is at least double what we paid. Plus I have the deluxe package at $70 and refreshment at $23.

Guess I can see if some TAs have any blocked off rooms left as I usually book on my own

Edited by CruisingHogFan

2 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

We always buy insurance just not the xtra for cancel for any reason. If we end up canceling I’m still coming out ahead over the years buy not getting it as this is the first time I’ve had a issue

That's what I told myself last year when I just didnt show up for my own cruise. I never needed insurance for 20 years, until that time, cost me less than paying insurance for that many cruises. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Pretty sure they don't have insurance which is why they are asking

What happens to cruise planner purchases if I have a couple that wants to take over the booking? Do the names transfer for the onboard purchases or is everything canceled and must be rebooked?

I have the drink packages and 3 night dining package which is sold out.

13 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

What happens to cruise planner purchases if I have a couple that wants to take over the booking? Do the names transfer for the onboard purchases or is everything canceled and must be rebooked?

Cruise planner purchases are tied to the spot on the reservation and not the name so they should stay with the new guest with the exception of drink packages if an underage person replaces an adult.  At least this is the way it has been in the past.  Not sure if that has been recently changed

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

As others have stated, you can’t “sell” your cruise to another party. The closest thing you can do is change the names of the passenger(s) going on the cruise as long as at least one of the original passengers is still in the cabin. When you change passenger names, the computer system will automatically cancel any purchases made by the passenger being removed from the booking (I have seen this first hand many times). Also, keep in mind if the original passenger still on the booking doesn’t show up for the cruise, you could face penalties from RCI for “reselling” your cruise which is not allowed. 

OP - if you are going to cancel then cancel any cruise planner purchases first.  Processing the refund is far faster for this than the processing after you cancel.

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

OP - if you are going to cancel then cancel any cruise planner purchases first.  Processing the refund is far faster for this than the processing after you cancel.

I planned on it except for the deluxe drink package for me since everyone has to have it in the room. Figure it would just refund once I no showed. 

• Like 1

No, if your final payment date has passed, they're not going to help you.  Beyond the posted rules, They. Do. Not. Care.  

Summer school ... let's try thinking outside the box: Does your student have the option to take the summer school class through a different venue?  Community college, online, or an adjacent county?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

No, if your final payment date has passed, they're not going to help you.  Beyond the posted rules, They. Do. Not. Care.  

Summer school ... let's try thinking outside the box: Does your student have the option to take the summer school class through a different venue?  Community college, online, or an adjacent county?  

I wasn’t going to reply because I didn’t want to show my ignorance, but since you mentioned a little more details about summer school, am I missing something? When I was in school a long time ago I never went to summer school. My kids who are now in their mid 30s never went to summer school either. Has something changed and kids are now required to attend summer school? Or is this a requirement based on where you live?

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

As others have stated, you can’t “sell” your cruise to another party. The closest thing you can do is change the names of the passenger(s) going on the cruise as long as at least one of the original passengers is still in the cabin. When you change passenger names, the computer system will automatically cancel any purchases made by the passenger being removed from the booking (I have seen this first hand many times). Also, keep in mind if the original passenger still on the booking doesn’t show up for the cruise, you could face penalties from RCI for “reselling” your cruise which is not allowed. 

3 weeks ago I changed the name on my cabin mate for our Med cruise on Voyager for September. My original friend had to cancel, her mom was just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. She purchased the drink package and the dining package a long time ago. My new cabin mate now has those 2 purchases listed under her name, both purchases automatically transferred into her name. They didn't automatically cancel.

My new cabin mate, my SIL, was just diagnosed with lymphoma last week.😢

I originally booked this cruise 2 years ago. We paid the fee a year ago to change the date as my first friend couldn't do the original one, then she got the news about her mom and had to cancel all together...this particular cruise is a frustration. 

Edited by rrraydon
  • Like 1