New HAL passport requirements?

We are on the Westerdam next week for the 14 day Japan Explorer cruise.  I just received an email from HAL at 10:53 PM with some new to me requirements.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Is this a requirement for Japan?  We have surrendered our passports to HAL on other itineraries before.  Here is the text from the email:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
In order to streamline our embarkation process, all guests must bring two photocopies of their passports which will be collected at check-in for your cruise. While color copies are preferred, black and white photocopies will be accepted. In addition, guests should also keep a photo of the passport photo page on their personal device to ensure a digital backup is available. Copies should be clear, good quality images on letter-sized or A4 paper.

As a reminder, all guests on this voyage are required to present a passport book that is valid for six months after the completion of travel at cruise check-in. Please ensure the name on your passport matches your name as it appears on your booking. Your passport must contain at least three blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any required visas; guests with insufficient blank passport pages may be fined by shoreside authorities. To expedite your embarkation, please register your passport via Online Check-In or in the Navigator app.
Ships'

• Like 1

3 hours ago, I like vacation said:

We are on the Westerdam next week for the 14 day Japan Explorer cruise.  I just received an email from HAL at 10:53 PM with some new to me requirements.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Is this a requirement for Japan?  We have surrendered our passports to HAL on other itineraries before.  Here is the text from the email:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION
In order to streamline our embarkation process, all guests must bring two photocopies of their passports which will be collected at check-in for your cruise. While color copies are preferred, black and white photocopies will be accepted. In addition, guests should also keep a photo of the passport photo page on their personal device to ensure a digital backup is available. Copies should be clear, good quality images on letter-sized or A4 paper.

As a reminder, all guests on this voyage are required to present a passport book that is valid for six months after the completion of travel at cruise check-in. Please ensure the name on your passport matches your name as it appears on your booking. Your passport must contain at least three blank pages for entry and exit endorsements and any required visas; guests with insufficient blank passport pages may be fined by shoreside authorities. To expedite your embarkation, please register your passport via Online Check-In or in the Navigator app.
Ships'

They asked us for extra copies of our passports - but never collected them.   They ended up giving us copies they made.   They may collect yours as @Gail & Marty sailing away said to save themselves paper.   I suspect this may be the new passport language for many itineraries.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, I like vacation said:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION

Ships'

This was required of us on our February cruise on the Westerdam. The copies were to expedite the visa waiver requirements for our stop in Shanghai, China. One of the copies was endorsed by Chinese officials and was used in lieu of our passport while stopped in Shanghai. Our passports were returned to us prior to our Japan stops.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, I like vacation said:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION

Ships'

We got this email several months ago.  I immediately made copies as it was not a part of my ‘normal’ routine to get ready to cruise….   Think it maybe HAL saving a step/and or paper.  

In 2018 we were told to bring a copy of our passport (identification page) in color. Once onboard we were told if we didn’t have one to go to the FD and ask for one. ( We had to turn in our passports on embarkation.). We were told to carry the copy onshore- a staff member later said it was to make it easier to identify you should the need arise.

@2inSETexas and @I like vacation nothing personal I am asking you to disclose, but are either of you taking prescription medication with you to Japan?. I'm trying to suss that out and not sure about the language and pre authorized form, if the doctors letter is required, etc. I did get an answer on supplements, but they didn't answer regarding bringing those in original containers or what. So I will have to write back. As far as supplements, they are fine. 

I am surprised that they are requesting 2 copies of the passport that will be collected at check-in as someone will have the verify that each copy is an actual copy of the passport.  That can make for a very long and slow check in process.

39 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

@2inSETexas and @I like vacation nothing personal I am asking you to disclose, but are either of you taking prescription medication with you to Japan?. I'm trying to suss that out and not sure about the language and pre authorized form, if the doctors letter is required, etc. I did get an answer on supplements, but they didn't answer regarding bringing those in original containers or what. So I will have to write back. As far as supplements, they are fine. 

Unless Japan's policy has changed in the last four years, simply carrying the prescription meds in their original container, which gives the date and the physician's name, is sufficient pre-authorization.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tampa Girl said:

Unless Japan's policy has changed in the last four years, simply carrying the prescription meds in their original container, which gives the date and the physician's name, is sufficient pre-authorization.

That's what I am doing.  I think it may become an issue if you are staying more than 30 days, then you need to submit the form for approval prior to arrival.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKJonesy said:

We didn’t have any problem with any of our prescriptions. We didn’t pre-disclose them, but did review the Japan list of unapproved meds (none were on the list) and kept them in original containers.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, cbr663 said:

I am surprised that they are requesting 2 copies of the passport that will be collected at check-in as someone will have the verify that each copy is an actual copy of the passport.  That can make for a very long and slow check in process.

From our experience, it had almost no impact on check-in. There was just an additional kiosk to stop at to submit the copies. It only takes a quick glance at the passport and copies to confirm they were legitimate copies. 

2 hours ago, Tampa Girl said:

Though one should also be aware that some common  over the counter medications in the US are not allowed in Japan.

2 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Though one should also be aware that some common  over the counter medications in the US are not allowed in Japan.

Such as?

16 hours ago, I like vacation said:

IMPORTANT NOTIFICATION

Ships'

On similar cruise. Received the same email for our cruise (30- Day Japan and Pacific Crossing) and assume it has something to with Japan or our stop in S. Korea as we have never been asked to  two have two copies of passport. 

As for the rest of the email they have always recommended you make a copy of your passport as a backup if you loose it.

.We are travelling to Europe in May (Norway, Lerwick, Kirkwall, Scotland, England). I presume from previous comments that HAL does not require 2 copies of our passports for these ports. Am I correct? We always carry one copy for ourselves, just in case it may be required. 

30 minutes ago, Funsun60 said:

.We are travelling to Europe in May (Norway, Lerwick, Kirkwall, Scotland, England). I presume from previous comments that HAL does not require 2 copies of our passports for these ports. Am I correct? We always carry one copy for ourselves, just in case it may be required. 

Correct, no copies required.

Another note about passports: we usually don't take our passports with us on excursions, but a while ago in Rome the Italians were demanding to see everyone's passport before letting them reboard after excursions. They wouldn't even accept copies. For some reason I had taken mine, so I had to go to the room, get my wife's, and bring it back so that she could get back on board.

This is to facilitate South Korean entry and the reentry to Japan. 

Do take note:  foreign residents are required to have their passports on their person while visiting Japan.  There is a ¥100,000 fine if you cannot produce original identification (no copies) when asked by police to do so, and only passports are accepted for foreign nationals who don't have Japanese issued identification.

This means that the ship cannot collect passports at check in.  Presenting the physical passports for South Korean entry and exit would mean collecting all of them in a short period after leaving Fukuoka and returning them prior to Kanazawa.  The use of photocopied biodata pages is a courtesy.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Wow. Furosemide (ladies) Is on that list. 

Your post is puzzling. Furosemide is a diuretic used to reduce extra fluid in the body caused by conditions such as heart failure, high blood pressure, liver disease, and kidney disease. None of these are ladies-only conditions.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 1:41 PM, TRLD said:

Tylenol cold, nyquil, actifed, Sudafed are some examples

Many of the US cold products.

As well as anything contained the ingredients on this list

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/dl/Ingredients_name.pdf

It looks like at least some of those are legal to bring into Japan with a prescription. Furosemide (Lasix) is one of those. Adderall is an example of a drug that's legal in the US and illegal in Japan.