The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday March 24th, 2024

kazu

Today is International Day For Achievers, International Day for the Right to the Truth conce, and National Adverse Drug Event Awareness Day

Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.--Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Meal Suggestion for today - Shrimp Tacos
Drink of the Day - Apple Martini
Wine of the Day - Beronia 2015 Gran Reserva Tempranillo (Rioja)
Destination of the Day - Kiriwina Island PNG, Trobriand, Papua New Guinea

Today in History:
1603 Scottish King James VI son of Mary Queen of Scots, becomes King James I of England in succession to Elizabeth I, thus joining the English and Scottish crowns
1837 Canada gives its black citizens the right to vote
1721 Johann Sebastian Bach dedicates his Brandenburg Concertos to Christian Ludwig, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt

Ship Locations

Eurodam

St Thomas Island USVI, Charlotte Amalie, US Virgin Islands 08:00 - 16:00 

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Mexico eta 03-25

Nieuw Amsterdam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 10:00 - 18:00 

Nieuw Statendam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 15:00 

Oosterdam

Callao-Lima, Peru 08:00 - 26 Mar 10:00 

Rotterdam

Pointe-a-Pitre, Grande-Terre Island Guadeloupe 08:00 - 17:00 

Volendam

Moorea Island, Society Islands French Polynesia - 17:00 

Zaandam

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala 08:00 - 16:00 

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Gisborne, New Zealand 08:00 - 17:00 

Westerdam

Aburatsu-Nichinan, Japan Miyazaki 09:00 - 19:00 

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Colombo, Sri Lanka eta 03-28

• Like 18
  • Thanks 23

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Haljo1935’s DD DB’s Heavenly Birthday

Princess Catherine and King Charles undergoing cancer treatment

2 crew members killed due to steam line bursting on Nieuw Amsterdam

Victims in Moscow concert shooting

Texas schoolbus struck by concrete truck, 1 child and 1 adult killed. Numerous others injured.

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; Haiti unrest

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

RMLincoln’s SIL in Rehab hospital, getting radiation treatments

StLouisCruisers’ DB with pulmonary fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Bon Voyage RedneckBob!

Cat shepherd’s DSis released to home yesterday

USN59-79 debarks Sojourn in Taipei, to spend 17 days there

Vict0riann’s DD not requiring surgery for her fractured humerus

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

5 days for Smmessineo (Rotterdam Mar 29 to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer

5 days for POA1 & Huskerchick (Rotterdam Mar 29 to Apr 7) 9d S. Caribbean Wayfarer

6 days for Ocean sounds (Zaandam Mar 30 to Apr 13) 14d Solar Eclipse & Mexican Riviera

7 days for Sailingdutchy (Nieuw Statendam Mar 31 to April 7) B2B 7d E. Caribbean + (Nieuw Statendam Apr 7 to May 5) 28d Bermuda, Brittany & Canary Island Allure

Crazy For Cats (Eurodam to Mar 27) 11d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, Scrapnana (Rotterdam to Mar 29) 12d E. Caribbean Wayfarer, Suslor (Zaandam to Mar 30) 14d Panama Canal, Lazey1 (Koningsdam to Mar 30) 7d Mexico,  RedneckBob (Nieuw Statendam to March 31) 7d E. Caribbean, GTVCRUISER (Koningsdam to Apr 6) B2B 7d Mexico + 7d Pacific Coastal, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 23

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today's daily reports.

46°F and sunny here.

3 good days and quote.

I hope everyone is safe and well.

Prayers for those who our prayers can help.

Best wishes for a wonderful day for us all 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 22

Posted (edited)

It was a busy day in Halong Bay with three ships in port. Though it was a rather foggy day it was still beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed our day excursion looking at some of the over 1,900 island. Visited a fishing village, caves and had a wonderful time onboard our excursion boat. We will spend the night here and sail tomorrow at 1PM.

Time to get ready for libations and dinner. Local cultural show onboard tonight. 
Bon Voyage Red Neck Bob and thanks for the postings. Bruce

image.thumb.jpeg.b2cb6b45d5a997cfa50a98f87fa35b16.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b098992a33e417af3489cedf130a70d7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.65cabc742559fc8c7fc0458129ab03ce.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.404a141139835c79fefe7f1d997affec.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d7ab740f75aafdf658061017fc1e90af.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.d23a49fac5395c29be3e876c16216abd.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 12

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

62 heading up to a pleasant sunny 81 this afternoon.

Good selection of days as is the quote.

I love shrimp and enjoy tacos but I’ve never had a shrimp taco.

I’m not a big basketball fan and don’t watch the NCAA tournament, even though I left Chicago 31 years ago I am happy that Illinois has advanced to the Sweet Sixteen, Northwestern will probably lose to UCONN today, from what I’ve read Illinois has a good shot of making the Final Four.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Apple Martini cocktail:

An apple martini is a cocktail containing vodka and one or more of apple juice, apple cider, apple liqueur, or apple brandy. It is not a true martini, but is one of many drinks that incorporate the term martini into their names. Wikipedia
Main alcohol: Vodka
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Vodka, 1/2 oz (1 part) Apple Schnapps / Calvados, 1/2 oz (1 part) Cointreau
Preparation: Mix in a shaker, then pour into a chilled glass. Garnish and serve.
Served: Straight up
Standard garnish: Apple slice, Cherry
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 6.41.26 AM.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 19

Happy Sunday and thanks to Roy, Rich, Vanessa, Ann, Debbie & Dixie for their dedication.

Good collection of days - especially this one which we should all observe.  -  On March 24th, the International Day for the Right to Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights violations and for the Dignity of victims is observed. The day pays tribute to the memory of Monsignor Oscar Arnulfo Romero who was murdered on March 24, 1980.  He was actively engaged in denouncing the violations of the human rights of the most vulnerable individuals in El Salvador.  

IMG_1714.jpeg.d1abde75a6d263aec64fbc98c11feac1.jpeg

That quote by Chbosky is so true, sadly. Shrimp tacos?  YUM.  Sounds like a plan.  Great days in history.  I am proud that Canada began its diversity practice so long ago & gave the right to vote so quickly.  The 15th amendment doing the same didn’t happen until many years later.

IMG_1713.thumb.jpeg.c948d4d60c7132765e822ed0a7279d1b.jpeg

Well, HAL might have cancelled our port and changed our itinerary next year but they didn’t credit me back my HIA excursion credit which I would like to apply elsewhere.  ‘Sigh’.  I have a feeling I am going to be bounced around on the phone tomorrow when I try to get it fixed 😉 😞   It’s pouring out now and the winds are so loud Ivan couldn’t hear me when I called him to come in.  So, I had to go out in the mess to get him.  My day is not off to a good start LOL.

IMG_1712.jpeg.9bb1fb127cc7d0619fad750fdd4b1d57.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏.  Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 4

Good morning.  Thanks for the report.

Another very cold morning here, only -10°C (14°F).  I thought it was spring, but I am incorrect.

Three good days to observe.

Good quote.

I'm sure I'd like the meal and the wine, but I'll pass on the cocktail.

Prayers for so many.

Have a peaceful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning friends!  It is chilly this morning at only 42F.  The morning hours should be sunny but by 2 pm the clouds will move in and we will have a high temp of 65.  

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for posting the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps for Rich @richwmn.  Many unique days to recognize today.  I like celebrating achievers and adverse drug event awareness.  Both important.  But I had questions about what the second day was so checked it out on NationalToday.com.  The full name is International Day For the Right to the Truth Concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and For the Dignity of Victims.  Whew!  A shorter name might make it easier to recall.  But let's support them too.  The quote is so true.  I don't like shrimp tacos, don't drink martinis or red wine.  Great days in history.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for your reports today.

Prayers for all on the Care list, my DB, great nephew Alex's twin boys, friends Scott, Susan and Sandy, the people at war in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, troops in the region, the NA crew members who died, and the victims of fires, horrific crashes and concert shootings.  The world is really being tested.  Congrats to those celebrating happy events and cruisers.  Bon Voyage @RedneckBob!!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your list keeping skills.  Wishing you the best as you prepare for your surgery and hope for a full recovery.

The port today is Kiriwina Island, Papua New Guinea Trobriand.  It was the port only once before on July 14, 2023.  We were there in 2017 on Sun Princess on our Papua New Guinea segment of 4 back to back cruises.  Very interesting!  Here is the link for your convenience.

DD is driving down from Ohio after Palm Sunday mass, will stop in Atlanta to pick up an item at Ikea for DGD, and make her way down to our house to spend the night.  Tomorrow she drives down to see her DD Morgan in Clearwater and enjoy a short visit this week with her.  Wishing her safe travels and patience in the Atlanta regional traffic jam she will no doubt encounter.  We always do!

Hope you have a terrific Sunday, and please stay safe and keep well!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

We're not fans of hot climate cruises like so many others are, but we manage to find ourselves in the heat often enough.  This time it was November 19, 2017 on Sun Princess on four back to back cruises which included Papua New Guinea.  On the 19th we arrived at Kiriwina Island.  It was a pretty neat spot to visit for a day.  We had to anchor out and tender into the small dock (but at least they had one!).

First view00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJkikJsI-22ZJG7qDOd1ba1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618158

Here's the dock00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLoycx_4WxJJ85ggY5v6dGr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618179

These boats will offer rides to people.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGuOc9TPBPtI8EpF_RX7qR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618239

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlT6-Bp0EDvGo90aBo_HiB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618240

Here come the crowds!  Some will lounge around on the beach all day, others just want to walk around and see what is happening, including locals setting up shopping opportunities.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ2d0yAUBLjCUd3spm1oVwO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618251

Step right this way to the "pedestrian shopping" path.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXPS4xGV3BpqTbbqFdbor_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618268

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHtH7PaP1cdzvgcl7zjWfA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618264

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYPXyq8djxVNYZ0TAfLk23?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618279

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJI1yYQ_zlrBTC6YtxQUnav?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618283

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLanWz8Bx9xR-kBuE-7NDF4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618294

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLWt-PFQUNAvps1oQBBFnka?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618301

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOKxsxvo6VX0fY3vohXZVb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618308

After our morning exercise on the island we dined on the ship for lunch.  Afternoon photos of Kiriwina Island00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJiALjwiDYUCCd4whXqcCRN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618354

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5GzVy3Q-_Fdur9ghIUa8V?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618357

I hope we see more of these islands on the port of the day list.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 10

Happy Sunday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Cold but sunny today. I hope Spring returns soon. 

Finishing my last day of EMDR training. 

Bon Voyage to @RedneckBob.

StickerTalk 10in x 3in Bon Voyage Cruise Ship Magnet, 10 inches x 3 inches

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Happy Sunday! | Good morning meme, Morning cat, Funny cats

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR& D, Jacqui! Roy, thank you for our maps! A very windy start to our day, after an evening of torrential downpours and one very close lightning strike & thunder BOOM. 

Vanessa, thank you for keeping up with all of us. Praying that your upcoming surgery takes care of your problem - for good. 

An almost normal Sunday for me. Gym, Aldi, Bindi walks and then heading to my Sister’s to see what is happening. She let me know that she slept from 8 last night until 6 this morning. She was so happy to be in her own bed again. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Those suffering from pain, debilitating conditions, loss of a loved one, trauma. The caretakers. Thinking of you & Tana, Terry. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Beronia 2015 Gran Reserva Tempranillo (Rioja)

This Rioja sounds lovely, and I would love to add a bottle or two into my wine “cellar “.  A decent number of online distributors with online prices starting at $28.99.

Winemaker Notes

Beronia Gran Reserva is a deep maroon colour. On the nose it displays many different aromas, from fruit such as strawberry and blackberry to cocoa and black licorice, with notes of cedar reminiscent of the wood in its natural environment and notes of menthol that add tremendous freshness. It delivers distinct notes of fruit and nuts on the palate, which provide structure and tannin. The wine is long, very complex, balanced and also sophisticated.

Professional Ratings

• 92James Suckling

Peppercorn and chili chocolate to the blackberries with a hint of bark. Savory, medium- to full-bodied on the palate with dusty tannin's and a long, creamy finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Good morning. It was a beautiful sunrise after a crazy rain all day yesterday. We did get water in the basement but so far the sump pump is getting rid of it. A lot of flooded roads here as well with people requiring rescue after driving through….I do not understand why they think their cars are amphibious vehicles.

Thanks @kazu for reminding us about Father Romero in El Salvador. 
i will celebrate achievers and I have not been to the port. Yesterday I made the chicken, broccoli and mush room dish and it was well received. The vegetarians enjoyed their broccoli and mushroom that I made separately. We had the teenager’s girlfriend for dinner  also and enjoyed her company. They took the dogs out for the last walk of the day for us which was appreciated.

Enjoy the day everyone.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We're not fans of hot climate cruises like so many others are, but we manage to find ourselves in the heat often enough.  This time it was November 19, 2017 on Sun Princess on four back to back cruises which included Papua New Guinea.  On the 19th we arrived at Kiriwina Island.  It was a pretty neat spot to visit for a day.  We had to anchor out and tender into the small dock (but at least they had one!).

First view00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJkikJsI-22ZJG7qDOd1ba1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618158

Here's the dock00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLoycx_4WxJJ85ggY5v6dGr?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618179

These boats will offer rides to people.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLGuOc9TPBPtI8EpF_RX7qR?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618239

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlT6-Bp0EDvGo90aBo_HiB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618240

Here come the crowds!  Some will lounge around on the beach all day, others just want to walk around and see what is happening, including locals setting up shopping opportunities.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ2d0yAUBLjCUd3spm1oVwO?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618251

Step right this way to the "pedestrian shopping" path.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLXPS4xGV3BpqTbbqFdbor_?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618268

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJHtH7PaP1cdzvgcl7zjWfA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618264

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYPXyq8djxVNYZ0TAfLk23?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618279

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJI1yYQ_zlrBTC6YtxQUnav?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618283

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLanWz8Bx9xR-kBuE-7NDF4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618294

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLWt-PFQUNAvps1oQBBFnka?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618301

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLOKxsxvo6VX0fY3vohXZVb?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618308

After our morning exercise on the island we dined on the ship for lunch.  Afternoon photos of Kiriwina Island00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJiALjwiDYUCCd4whXqcCRN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618354

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ5GzVy3Q-_Fdur9ghIUa8V?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1513618357

I hope we see more of these islands on the port of the day list.

Nice photos Sandi.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning from the Eurodam,  thanks for today's daily fleet report.  It's another beautiful day.  Today's task will be to book a cruise for fall next year.  I'm surprised at how few there are out of Port Everglades, we aren't flying to Miami.  

We were first in today. 

20240324_080553.thumb.jpg.5b851565cf9f2b35fba16f9e6ebdb41b.jpg

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Jacqui, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, Dixie, and Graham/Father David.  I like all 3 of today’s days, and 3 great days in history.

Definitely a thought provoking quote today.  I have not been to Papua New Guinea.

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Honey Pineapple, Rack of Lamb, and Black Forest Cake.

dishes24.jpg

A cold Palm Sunday here.

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Nice to see sun this morning after yesterday’s downpours and the howling winds last night, but chilly morning at 27, going up to 49, warmer than all last week. 

Is NA still in Half Moon cay?  Investigation maybe?  What about debark/embark?  What a mess for so many!  

Happy for Ann @cat shepardand her DSis being home finally. Hoping for continued healing. That first day on your own at home can be a real eye-opener. 
Safe travels for Sandi’s DD and a smooth visit with Morgan. 
Terry, water in the basement is a mess you don’t need on a weekend!  

Going to a local playhouse this afternoon, a first try, and maybe out for supper?  Would also be a first here. Or come home for leftovers, something I accumulate because dinners in our dining venues tend to be too much for me. 

Blessings for a calmer day and a safer world. Relief for those in need of it from whatever hampers your joy. 
Maureen

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2