Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses into Patapsco River in Baltimore after vessel crashes into support column

Was this the bridge that was too low to allow larger cruise ships access to the port of Baltimore?

If so, build a new bridge taller to allow the larger cruise ships out of Baltimore. 

1 minute ago, jedi bobs said:

Prayers to all the people on the bridge when it went down.  

What to do about those that are on the Pride and other cruise ships that go in and out of Baltimore?  My guess is debark in either Philidelpha or Norfolk.

Heard there were 8 workers on the bridge as well…..  interesting aspect on the debark for current cruisers.  Have not looked at how many ships are currently sailing from there.  I think there are 4 cruise lines in total but not sure on the frequency.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

Heard there were 8 workers on the bridge as well…..  interesting aspect on the debark for current cruisers.  Have not looked at how many ships are currently sailing from there.  I think there are 4 cruise lines in total but not sure on the frequency.

One Carnival and one Royal Caribbean ship sail out weekly/regularly.  There are a few other cruise lines that did/are doing one or two special cruises out of Baltimore, but the cruise terminal is really only big enough for Carnival and Royal. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, iamsteph said:

One Carnival and one Royal Caribbean ship sail out weekly/regularly.  There are a few other cruise lines that did/are doing one or two special cruises out of Baltimore, but the cruise terminal is really only big enough for Carnival and Royal. 

Understand, I have sailed out of there 4 times.  I should have been more clear, understand the two weekly cruises, but kew there were at least two other lines and was unsure as to where they were cruising now.  Thanks for the reply.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pomc99 said:

Was this the bridge that was too low to allow larger cruise ships access to the port of Baltimore?

If so, build a new bridge taller to allow the larger cruise ships out of Baltimore. 

there is another bridge that sails under: William Preston Lane Jr. Memorial Bay Bridge

Posted (edited)

First thing in my mind is a deliberate act of terrorism or sabotage. The videos I am looking at do not show that ship anywhere near the center of the channel. If one person really wanted to f*** up Baltimore, one of the biggest  shipping port in the USA and the surrounding metro area of MILLIONS of people who commute over that bridge. They did just that. Yes, it could be an accident, but this looks extremely suspicious.

Edited by MRVEGAS711
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pomc99 said:

No, the cargo ship would have cleared the span, it was a dead on hit the main channel support.  Some video show what appears to be a power failure on the ship before it hits the span.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, shof515 said:

there is another bridge that sails under: William Preston Lane Jr. Memorial Bay Bridge

You are correct, and while I am not certain I believe that one has a lower span, but not sure.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

No, the cargo ship would have cleared the span, it was a dead on hit the main channel support.  Some video show what appears to be a power failure on the ship before it hits the span.

Actually I meant is this the bridge that limits the size of the cruise ships? I know there are two bridges the ships pass under. Maybe both are not high enough to allow the larger cruise ships. 

Just now, caribsun said:

Prayers to family and friends... Just a thought, until repairs are made maybe the Norfolk Port could be utilized. 

My guess is that they are totally focused on this week’s debark.  The domino affect of following weeks cruises will closely follow, certainly an option. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caribsun said:

Prayers to family and friends... Just a thought, until repairs are made maybe the Norfolk Port could be utilized. 

They are renovating the Norfolk port this year to support year round operations next year when Sunshine arrives. I don't know if they would be ready to get Norfolk up and running now.

• Like 2

Just now, Pomc99 said:

Actually I meant is this the bridge that limits the size of the cruise ships? I know there are two bridges the ships pass under. Maybe both are not high enough to allow the larger cruise ships. 

Do not know, I am sure I have been out on deck for going under both, but remember the existing one being lower, but it has been a while.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pomc99 said:

Ships sail under this bridge and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (note, different from the tunnel at the opening of the bay).  This is the bridge that limits the size of cruise ships able to get into the cruise port.  When the Port of Baltimore got their fancy new cranes delivered, they closed traffic over this bridge while the cranes passed under.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jedi bobs said:

What to do about those that are on the Pride and other cruise ships that go in and out of Baltimore?  My guess is debark in either Philidelpha or Norfolk.

the next ship to return to Baltimore is the Legend on Sunday March 31.  Royal Caribbean Vision of the seas due to on April 4. Pride returns to Baltimore on April 22

lots of things can happen between now and sunday for ships to enter to the cruise terminal area

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, iamsteph said:

Ships sail under this bridge and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (note, different from the tunnel at the opening of the bay).  This is the bridge that limits the size of cruise ships able to get into the cruise port.  When the Port of Baltimore got their fancy new cranes delivered, they closed traffic over this bridge while the cranes passed under.  

I may be mistaken but ships sail over the tunnels of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Aircraft carriers make that transit frequently. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

I may be mistaken but ships sail over the tunnels of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. Aircraft carriers make that transit frequently. 

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is different from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.  The Bay Bridge connects Annapolis to Western Maryland. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, shof515 said:

the next ship to return to Baltimore is the Legend on Sunday March 31.  Royal Caribbean Vision of the seas due to on April 4. Pride returns to Baltimore on April 22

lots of things can happen between now and sunday for ships to enter to the cruise terminal area

I was just reading about the 1983 I-95 bridge collapse in Connecticut. They had a temporary bridge in place in 3 weeks and the bridge repaired in 3 months. When something that impacts an economy this much happens things tend to happen quickly. They need to ensure that there are no navigation hazards in the channel and once that's clear ships will be able to make that transit (my layperson's understanding, anyway). (ETA- just saw some pictures and parts of the bridge are visible in the water so those will need to be removed before the channel can re-open.)

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, iamsteph said:

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is different from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel.  The Bay Bridge connects Annapolis to Western Maryland. 

Ah, thank you.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

From reports on ship tracking it looks like the ship lost power twice, slowed..... went off course (no steering) and hit the bridge. Since the ship had a harbor pilot onboard will know sooner than later

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Love to hear from our local expert Chengkp75 on the Key bridge fiasco

@chengkp75 is posting on a similar thread on the RCI board.

Possibly a small American Cruise Lines ship was scheduled for Baltimore today. Wonder where they will divert, thinking Norfolk makes the most sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The next sailing for Carnival out of Baltimore would be this Sunday and it would be the "spring break" at full capacity with kids and families. I could be wrong but I do not see this being investiagted and cleaned up that quickly. Carnival is going to have to call an audible quickly - I was thinking maybe to Hampton Roads but that's quite the hike compared to say Philadelphia.

3 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

@chengkp75 is posting on a similar thread on the RCI board.

Possibly a small American Cruise Lines ship was scheduled for Baltimore today. Wonder where they will divert, thinking Norfolk makes the most sense.

Looks like it went to Washington DC according to cruise mapper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Afttastic said:

The next sailing for Carnival out of Baltimore would be this Sunday and it would be the "spring break" at full capacity with kids and families. I could be wrong but I do not see this being investiagted and cleaned up that quickly. Carnival is going to have to call an audible quickly - I was thinking maybe to Hampton Roads but that's quite the hike compared to say Philadelphia.

I tried some searching and possibly American Constitution is coming in now; a small ship but still 170 guest capacity. Maybe a good test for managing the upcoming CCL and RCI sailings at an alternative port. Logistical nightmare but probably doable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, gsmith2424 said:

Looks like it went to Washington DC according to cruise mapper.

Is there a suitable port / dock? I realize being tiny, American Constitution has got additional agility that even an older smaller mainstream ship doesn’t. The cruise ships from the 90s and aughts are the original mega ships in spite of having been overtaken by newer behemoths.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1