Pier Runners on Icon of the seas.

The few times we've seen pier runners, they have been either carrying shopping bags or weaving as they "walked".  The two port we've seen this the most is Cozumel and Nassau.  We haven't actually seen anyone left but have heard rumors a couple of times. The only time we've been up against boarding time was a couple of ship sponsored excursions in Canada. Otherwise, we are always back to the ship at least an hour or two before all aboard.

• Like 1

We were on the boat. Definitely had people miss it in St Thomas.  Also had a few medical emergencies this week so they were going much faster than normal on the way down to the islands and back up

Posted (edited)

Cruising is travel.

Travel includes the anticipation of the unexpected: sometimes you get a last-minute suite upgrade, sometimes you get "cancellated" or miss the damn boat. 

In either case, stay humble and have a plan (and insurance!) and you'll have a great story to tell for years to come. Oh, and make sure your phone is set to ship's time before you get off.

While I do feel bad when people, either through "force majeure" or their own stupidity, miss the ship, and I won't be one of the people derisively cheering them as they run to the ship, I have little sympathy for those who casually saunter in, thinking the ship would certainly hold for them. 

Personally, I always plan to be back on board with a drink in my hand in plenty of time to watch any pier runners, which coincidentally also ensures I won't be a pier runner.

Edited by TheMichael
Word order important is.
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, klfhngr said:

I missed the ship in 2014, no ones fault but my friends 😉

Your signature says you missed the ship in Nassau.  Were you able to catch the ship at the next port?  Did you get points for the missed night(s)?

4 hours ago, soremekun said:

Your signature says you missed the ship in Nassau.  Were you able to catch the ship at the next port?  Did you get points for the missed night(s)?

I had to spend 2 days in Bahamas, fly to Ft Lauderdale then fly to Jamaica. Not sure about the points, I didn't care at that point, lol!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

I had to spend 2 days in Bahamas, fly to Ft Lauderdale then fly to Jamaica. Not sure about the points, I didn't care at that point, lol!

I was going to click HaHa but it was I would not like to make fun of that situation at the time. It is only that now you can look back upon it and laugh.

Not something that we choose do but it is what is is and you took care of business.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I was going to click HaHa but it was I would not like to make fun of that situation at the time. It is only that now you can look back upon it and laugh.

Not something that we choose do but it is what is is and you took care of business.

It's ok to HAHA, lol! It's been a while. I guess you can find my whole story here on CC. I did learn a lot though, and hopefully the info helped others. That's why I posted the entire ordeal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

It's ok to HAHA, lol! It's been a while. I guess you can find my whole story here on CC. I did learn a lot though, and hopefully the info helped others. That's why I posted the entire ordeal.

I remember reading that. Quite some experience. I think you handled it amazingly well.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2024 at 9:53 AM, MiniChunks said:

This is not even a remotely a fair comparison. Nobody is subject to bodily harm, long term health issues or a lifetime of pain because they missed the ship. I would never wish pain, illness or even missing the ship on anyone. All I'm saying is that if you can't make it back to the boat on time, I'll sit on my balcony and waive with a drink in my hand while we pull away and still sleep like a baby at night. 

Nah - waiving to someone who is being left behind indicates a lack of something....perhaps a heart? 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Only part of the account I don't believe:

"On the way there, a worker comes up to me and says "are you Klfhngr?""

How do you even pronounce that.  Nope, didn't happen, lol.

Edited by soremekun

On 3/28/2024 at 9:43 AM, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Whilst it cant be a good feeling or experience to miss your ship, the fact is there are rules in place and if you fail to follow them then its your own responsibility. 

They should have made it back on time or ensured if something out of their control happened then they contact the powers that be. But at the end of the day its 100% their fault and RC has every right to leave them behind. 

When I saw your use of the word "whilst," I looked to see if you're from the UK. Charming🤗

I read through the first page and a half of posts and I just want to know what it would take for CC to add a "smh" button on to the response choices..........

It's a shame they missed the boat, I don't give a damn what the reason was.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rrraydon said:

I read through the first page and a half of posts and I just want to know what it would take for CC to add a "smh" button on to the response choices..........

It's a shame they missed the boat, I don't give a damn what the reason was.

I do. For some reasons I would feel sorry for them. For other reasons I would say they got what they deserved.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, soremekun said:

Only part of the account I don't believe:

"On the way there, a worker comes up to me and says "are you Klfhngr?""

How do you even pronounce that.  Nope, didn't happen, lol.

That's cliffhanger, but he said my real name. I didn't want to reveal my real name. But it did happen.

• Like 2

I think this is the difference between seasoned travelers/cruisers and those who are inexperienced.  

We see it here all the time, in all the time, regardless of cruise line.  More likely if you're on an excursion, and the excursion is in a foreign (to you) country).  The rules are different...right down to telephone exchanges.

Just a few examples....

-have a passport and keep a picture copy of it on your person.  I don't care if the "law" says you only need a birth certificate or an enhanced ID.  Something happens, and you need to travel THROUGH a country who requires a passport, you'll appreciate having one.

-People are afraid to carry money because they might get mugged.  If you're going to get mugged, you'r going to get mugged regardless of whether you have money or not.  Cash solves a lot of problems.

-The ship's phone number.....carry it with you...just in case something goes sideways and you can communicate that with them.

-bring a. credit card with plenty of room for large changes.  Also, carry one that offers international assistance if things go sideways.

-don't put yourself or your family in bad situations.  The travel conveniences are not nearly as reliable in some of the Caribbean countries as they are here.  If all aboard is 5:00 p.m. plan to be on board by 3:00 p.m.  Not 4:45...not 4:30...not 4:00!        (cont)

-it does not matter what the laws are in your country, your state or your municipality regarding Cannabis. It doesn't matter if you have some sort or prescription for Cannabis. On cruise ships, it's for bidden.  Bad things can happen if you're caught with it.  You can be tossed off the ship. Even worse, they report you were tossed off the ship because of a Cannabis violation and you're then subject to the laws in a foreign country.  That IS NOT a good position to be in.

-the throbbing music and pretty drinks are attractive in some of the restaurants and clubs in foreign ports.  Sure, have a good time.  But, if you are planning on being the "party animal" in your group, make sure you have someone who can be responsible for a) keeping you from getting into a fight or arrested, and b) get you back on the ship without incident.

-don't argue with ship security.  They're a humorless bunch.  And, bad things will happen if you decide to push them.

I haven't experienced most of this, but I've certainly witnessed all of it.

At least these folks were stranded in the Caribbean.  Norwegian recently left 9 people behind in Angola.  Were on a late returning non-ships tour.   Tour operator said they notified ship but when they returned despite ship still being tied up at pier captain wouldn't allow them to board.  When Angolan Coast Guard later tried to ferry them to ship they were turned away.

https://www.wral.com/story/south-carolina-couple-stranded-in-africa-cruise-ship-left-without-them/21357016/

4 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

At least these folks were stranded in the Caribbean.  Norwegian recently left 9 people behind in Angola.  Were on a late returning non-ships tour.   Tour operator said they notified ship but when they returned despite ship still being tied up at pier captain wouldn't allow them to board.  When Angolan Coast Guard later tried to ferry them to ship they were turned away.

https://www.wral.com/story/south-carolina-couple-stranded-in-africa-cruise-ship-left-without-them/21357016/

São Tomé and Príncipe is an independent country and not part of Angola.   And the ship was never docked there.  It was anchored and people had to take tenders.  The anchor was up as was the floating entry to the ship.    They failed to return before the last tender.   That's a risk you take when you don't use a ship tour.  

• Like 5

On 3/28/2024 at 3:47 AM, FionaMG said:

That's what I was wondering. A smartphone changing the time automatically could potentially cause this. Not everyone realises they need to be mindful of this.

Our last cruise included at least 3 time changes and it usually took a while for our phones to catch up. Best to wear a watch and set it when your hear the announcement.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Etta1213 said:

When I saw your use of the word "whilst," I looked to see if you're from the UK. Charming🤗

The screen name sort of gives the location away.🙂

1 hour ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Interesting story.