Pier Runners on Icon of the seas.

On 3/28/2024 at 6:46 AM, gavvy said:

There are so many reasons why someone could miss the ship - not all of them are the persons fault either.

I think regardless its a horrible situation to be in and I can't help feeling sorry for them, it's my worst nightmare having that happen to me.

A worse nightmare is the ship sinking.   At night.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SRF said:

There is a BIG difference between no sympathy and enjoyment.

Get real

Read the posts that she was responding to. People have posted about their enjoyment of watching pier runners right up to grabbing a drink and settling in to watch the show.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, when a high school students fails my class, I have little sympathy.  By the time that failing grade is written in permanent marker, I've warned the student, offered help, warned about absences, called parents, contacted guidance counselors and administrators.  I don't really feel sorry for them.  They're in a bad place, but they've made multiple bad choices to get themselves into that situation.  

I don't dance around singing, "Whoo-hoo, Johnny's going to summer school!"  

Teenagers make a lot of bad decisions. Some of those choices affect their health. I still feel sorry no matter how much direction I have tried to previously give them.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Read the posts that she was responding to. People have posted about their enjoyment of watching pier runners right up to grabbing a drink and settling in to watch the show.

There’s a big difference between watching the laggers run down the pier when you can see the gangway still out and laughing when someone actually misses the ship.  I’ve chuckled at pier runners who can easily get back onboard.  They usually just are panicking, maybe they’ll try to be earlier next time. I could never laugh at someone missing the ship, especially a family with children.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, TexanSailor said:

And the door is too small………

.. and once you've found your way in the darkness up to the door, you have to climb out and  across the hull and scale down the bottom of the hull on a rope and into the frigid oil slicked water (Costa Concordia).  

7 minutes ago, F27TW said:

.. and once you've found your way in the darkness up to the door, you have to climb out and  across the hull and scale down the bottom of the hull on a rope and into the frigid oil slicked water (Costa Concordia).  

☹️

18 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

☹️

..Hoping not to drown or be eaten by a shark or run over by rescue boats in the dark or washed up onto the jagged rocks by the waves.   (I'm just sayin... )

2 hours ago, F27TW said:

2 hours ago, TexanSailor said:

And you are holding third class tickets…..

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And the water is cold...

2 hours ago, F27TW said:

And the ship is lying on its side. 😳

And your name is Jack Dawson*

* - "Titanic movie reference.

• Haha 7

We've watched pier runners before, but just out of coincidence as we hung out on our balcony right before the ship began the process of leaving.  Never saw someone miss the ship though.  It was amusing seeing them run, fast walk, regular walk, jog again, then slow walk onto the gangway.  We never cheered or jeered at anyone, but just sort of smirked to ourselves.

I hope (confidently expect) that I never find myself in that situation.  If we do a private tour, I always keep a close eye on the time and we have always returned to the dock plenty early.

If a party misses the ship out of sheer arrogance, inconsideration, or by drinking themselves into oblivion, I have little sympathy.

15 hours ago, SRF said:

There is a BIG difference between no sympathy and enjoyment.

Get real

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

1 hour ago, ATG said:

There’s a big difference between watching the laggers run down the pier when you can see the gangway still out and laughing when someone actually misses the ship.  I’ve chuckled at pier runners who can easily get back onboard.  They usually just are panicking, maybe they’ll try to be earlier next time. I could never laugh at someone missing the ship, especially a family with children.

I like to maximize my port time so I'm usually one of the last people to get on board but I've always made it in time without impacting sail away.  I can remember on more than a few occasions, I'd be walking down the pier 20-25 minutes before all aboard time & seeing a long line at the gangway. Hating long lines, I'd stop and finish sipping my drink & take a few photo's. From the ship, I could hear people yelling "Run, Hurry".  Knowing that it was a 4-5 minute walk maximum, I ignored them. Heck, I could craw on my hands and knees, stop to eat a sandwich and still make it back in plenty time.  Next thing I see is a bunch of red-faced, out of breath not-in-the-best-shape people half jogging/half running back to the ship, only to wait 10-15 minutes in the heat on a long line to get back on ship.

There was absolutely NO need for those people to run. As I mentioned some were out of shape or a bit too old to run. What would happen if one of those people had a heat stroke or heart attack from over exertion?? Those that encouraged them seem to get enjoyment out of this & I suspect  some of the holier-than-thou posting on this thread would do the same. I took my time sauntering back to the ship much to the disappointment of those urging me to run. Still made it back with plenty of time to spare.

Some people like to get back on ship 3 hours before sail away "just to be safe". That's fine but it doesn't make you a better passenger.

• Like 1

I don't think it's about ridiculing at all, really  .. its all just part of the fun.  What i've seen is people up on deck whooping and cheering them on as they run toward the gangway and then the claps, etc. when they make it on. 

I only ever saw someone denied once .. and it was more because he was wasted drunk and combative and was screaming and throwing his fists at the ship gangway/security staff in Cozumel last April. .  People did cheer when they yanked up the gangway and left him behind .. being carted off by the Mexican police .. which he deserved. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, TeamCan said:

On our last 2 Alaska cruises, on Radiance and Brilliance, in Juneau we always dock at the furthest dock from town.  Holland America, Princess, Celebrity get the berths closest to town.   So if Royal always books a berth last, that’s why they get the furthest dock from town?  I thought Princess pays more to get the dock right in town.

Payment is also a reason for a ship to get a better position.

But most ports would not admit that. 😉

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, F27TW said:

I don't think it's about ridiculing at all, really  .. its all just part of the fun.  What i've seen is people up on deck whooping and cheering them on as they run toward the gangway and then the claps, etc. when they make it on. 

I only ever saw someone denied once .. and it was more because he was wasted drunk and combative and was screaming and throwing his fists at the ship gangway/security staff in Cozumel last April. .  People did cheer when they yanked up the gangway and left him behind .. being carted off by the Mexican police .. which he deserved. 

Agreed, when it's good-nature cheering & clapping congratulations, it's fun. I've given a friendly wave to those on nearby balconies when boarding with 10-15 minutes to spare.  Speaking from only my experience, it seemed there were a few annoyed people who were cheering in a divisive manner, judging from their expressions.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, F27TW said:

Don't watch last week's episode of 9-1-1. It would scare any first time cruiser for eternity.

4 hours ago, F27TW said:

But those ships are too big to sink.. right 🙂

22 hours ago, F27TW said:

And the ship is lying on its side. 😳

21 hours ago, TexanSailor said:

And the door is too small………

20 hours ago, F27TW said:

20 hours ago, F27TW said:

..Hoping not to drown or be eaten by a shark or run over by rescue boats in the dark or washed up onto the jagged rocks by the waves.   (I'm just sayin... )

19 hours ago, HBE4 said:

And your name is Jack Dawson*

And you're a pregnant, elderly parapalegic.  (Reference to the article)

18 hours ago, F27TW said:

I only ever saw someone denied once

I kinda saw someone denied once.  It was either in Aruba or Curacau.  

When security scanned the ID of the woman directly ahead of me, lights flashed and a buzzer sounded.  The security guard said politely, "M'am, you are attempting to board EXPLORER of the Seas.  You are a passenger on ADVENTURE of the Seas, which is docked right over there", and he pointed.  We weren't even close to sail-away, but she screamed and ran down the gangplank.  

18 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

Payment is also a reason for a ship to get a better position.

But most ports would not admit that. 😉

Payment for placement is a quiet, behind-the-scenes business.  It's kinda a big thing in grocery stores.  Name brands can pay for their products to be placed at eye level (or on the end-aisles). 

I'd never considered that cruise companies might be paying for better dock spaces, but I do believe it.  

On 4/4/2024 at 9:38 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

I'd never considered that cruise companies might be paying for better dock spaces, but I do believe it.  

Apparently RCI is above being shaken down.