Many cancellations next year

Yeah, this is a bummer for us, we were booked on the Star for June 9-25, 2025. Time to find another cruise to replace it with! The letter I got said it was due to charters, I wonder if that applies to all of those cancellations.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

How is the alternative to the May 18th 2025 sailing of the Viva the May 18th 2025 sailing of the Viva?

From what I read it’s redeployed to another area

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah, this is a bummer for us, we were booked on the Star for June 9-25, 2025. Time to find another cruise to replace it with! The letter I got said it was due to charters, I wonder if that applies to all of those cancellations.

Redeployments? Dry dock? I doubt all of those sailings are charters

1 minute ago, njkate said:

Redeployments? Dry dock? I doubt all of those sailings are charters

Yeah, could  be. (Although the Viva is probably too new to need a dry dock already). I noticed that they offer alternative sailings, but the one for ours omits the one port that was the basis for our entire sailing (Longyearbyen in Norway). Of course, we all know that ports can and do get skipped for various reasons, but the itinerary is always an important aspect of cruising for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah, could  be. (Although the Viva is probably too new to need a dry dock already). I noticed that they offer alternative sailings, but the one for ours omits the one port that was the basis for our entire sailing (Longyearbyen in Norway). Of course, we all know that ports can and do get skipped for various reasons, but the itinerary is always an important aspect of cruising for us.

For sure a bummer for many! People are also complaining even with the 10% fcc trying to switch is costing more out of pocket money. At one time, not sure if they still do it, when Royal cancelled they had what was called a shift & lift where you could book a comparable cruise with your original price locked in

• Like 1

My Panama Canal cruise on the Jade just got cancelled.  I’ll paste part of my email from NCL below:

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners, 

We have important information regarding your upcoming sailing on board Norwegian Jade. Travel Partners are asked to share the below information with impacted guests.

As part of a fleet redeployment to accommodate strong demand for cruises through the Panama Canal and to the Bahamas, we have canceled Norwegian Jade's sailings from February 20, 2025 through and including March 24, 2025. We will be redeploying her, and her new enhanced itineraries will be available to book soon beginning in April.

A full monetary refund of the fare paid will be automatically returned to the form of payment provided at the time of reservation. No further action is required; your refund will be automatically processed within 30 business days. You will see the refund returned to the original form of payment seven to 10 business days from the processed date. The visibility of the funds is dependent on each financial institution's internal policies. 

For those reservations paid via a previously issued Future Cruise Credit (FCC), 100% of the FCC used will be automatically re-applied to your Latitudes account within 10 days of the cancelation date. No further action is required. 

As a genuine acknowledgement of the inconvenience caused, we will be extending a 10% discount in the form of an FCC to be used towards any of our published sailings through December 31, 2025. The FCC will be available for use beginning on April 4, 2024.

Our dedicated team is available to help you rebook your dream vacation when you are ready. Please contact us at 1-800-327-7030 or your travel professional to get started. Guests residing outside of the U.S. or Canada should visit www.ncl.com for local contact information. 

We sincerely appreciate your understanding and look forward to welcoming you aboard very soon.

Sincerely, 

Norwegian Cruise Line

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, njkate said:

For sure a bummer for many! People are also complaining even with the 10% fcc trying to switch is costing more out of pocket money. At one time, not sure if they still do it, when Royal cancelled they had what was called a shift & lift where you could book a comparable cruise with your original price locked in

Yeah, I have heard of that from Royal. Ironically, NCL is currently offering a Triple Up deal where you can apply up to 3 CruiseNext certificates, but the offer expires on April 2. According to the letter we received, they won't be crediting us back until April 4, and we don't have 3 CN's left to use right now. It's not a big deal, though. My wife is saying maybe we should visit Alaska, since we've never been there. We'll get over it.

mmackey. Once again, i'm not a cheerleader for NCL, but i understand that Panama is restricting use of the canal. apparently they dont have enough water flowing through the canal at this time.

21 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yeah, I have heard of that from Royal. Ironically, NCL is currently offering a Triple Up deal where you can apply up to 3 CruiseNext certificates, but the offer expires on April 2. According to the letter we received, they won't be crediting us back until April 4, and we don't have 3 CN's left to use right now. It's not a big deal, though. My wife is saying maybe we should visit Alaska, since we've never been there. We'll get over it.

Did Alaska twice once on Bliss and once on Jewel. I would jump on the 10% off coupon for the latitudes cruise but it’s late September and last August/ early September it was quite windy and cold so I can only imagine very late September 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MMackey348 said:

As part of a fleet redeployment to accommodate strong demand for cruises through the Panama Canal and to the Bahamas, we have canceled Norwegian Jade's sailings from February 20, 2025 through and including March 24, 2025. We will be redeploying her, and her new enhanced itineraries will be available to book soon beginning in April.

The stated reason for the Jade's redeployment is strong demand for Panama, yet the four cruises cancelled were all going through the canal.  Maybe a megaship will be redeployed there later to replace the Jade.

Oh well, at least we have another 10% voucher to add to our collection!

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, complawyer said:

mmackey. Once again, i'm not a cheerleader for NCL, but i understand that Panama is restricting use of the canal. apparently they dont have enough water flowing through the canal at this time.

I’ve read that and also read cargo ships take priority and rightly so. I was looking at Jade for Panama in January but think I’ll wait to see where they are redeploying her to. She’s my favorite NCL ship

26 minutes ago, njkate said:

Did Alaska twice once on Bliss and once on Jewel. I would jump on the 10% off coupon for the latitudes cruise but it’s late September and last August/ early September it was quite windy and cold so I can only imagine very late September 

Thank you for that. I'm looking at Alaska on the Jade or the Encore at this point. I'll check on other ships for summer 2025.

• Like 1

I was really looking forward to the Jade.  We always enjoyed the Gem and were looking forward to trying the Jade.  I think I'm going to wait and see where she is redeployed.  But I am eyeing the 2/9-2/20/25 Panama Canal on the Jade.....decisions, decisions.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MMackey348 said:

I was really looking forward to the Jade.  We always enjoyed the Gem and were looking forward to trying the Jade.  I think I'm going to wait and see where she is redeployed.  But I am eyeing the 2/9-2/20/25 Panama Canal on the Jade.....decisions, decisions.  

Depending on where she will be deployed I might be booking that one too 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

The Svalbard cruises (2) are still on this year on the Star. May30-June10 Reykjavik-Tromso and June10-21 Tromso-Reykjavik. We're on the latter which is identical to your now-cancelled June9-20, 2025 cruise.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

The Svalbard cruises (2) are still on this year on the Star. May30-June10 Reykjavik-Tromso and June10-21 Tromso-Reykjavik. We're on the latter which is identical to your now-cancelled June9-20, 2025 cruise.

I saw that they are doing that for 2024. But we're going on a family trip to France June 8-21 so that won't work, unfortunately. We're just SOL

Edited by DCGuy64
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would love to know how much it would cost to charter the entire Jade or Gem...   🙂  Yes I realize if I have to ask I can't afford it.  My wild quess is about $10,000,000 for 7 days.  Here's a nice brochure with usefull info for all the ships, chartered or not.  https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/826201_CMI_Brochure_Web2_4_26_2023.pdf

Edited by davencl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Also on the June 10, 2024 cruise - panicked when I saw the comment from @DCGuy64 until I realized those are 2025 cruises. 

I lost my December 2024 Australia cruise when they chartered the Spirit - their suggested substitute offering was for cruises in Asia, with a 20% discount on the Jewel - through February 2024 - not even close. I know my geography isn't great but I'm pretty sure Australia isn't in Asia!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, njkate said:

Royal still did it last summer. Best deal we have ever got. We had I think a 12 night TA cruise they cancelled and one of the choices offered was a 17 night TA. Same price which was really a low price to begin with for gty balcony and we ended up with an angled balcony. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

4 hours ago, njkate said:

I’ve read that and also read cargo ships take priority and rightly so. I was looking at Jade for Panama in January but think I’ll wait to see where they are redeploying her to. She’s my favorite NCL ship

Actually the Panama Canal Authority recently increased the number of daily transits based on increased confidence in the return of a more normal rainy season starting to replenish the water supply.

https://www.marinelink.com/news/panama-canal-increase-daily-transits-512152#:~:text=In response to the current,available in the Panamax locks.

• Like 1