Speciality desserts on Princess Plus - any substitutions?

lorri111

13 hours ago, lorri111 said:

Yum! Does anyone know if this speciality cake option at IC is available on all ships?

Just off the Sky and it was at the gelato shop along with the other ones. Location varies by ship.

I typically just have been asking for a cup of ice cream with a little bit of raspberry/chocolate syrup on it rather than trying to get them to remove a bunch of things.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 1:52 AM, Cdude said:

Just to clarify, we had pre booked the drink package and on embarkation day we started getting charged on drink one. We had it fixed but racked up a bunch of drinks already and they never took them off after updating our account to reflect the drink package. This is why I had made multiple attempts throughout my cruise to get it fixed. Honestly, it was annoying and felt like a job while trying to vacation. After the cruise, I recalled having folio issues on all four prior sailings with Princess and that had been one of the reasons I stopped sailing with them over 15 years ago. It all came back to me. I have sailed with NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and never had one accounting issue with them. Suffice it to say, my next sailing is booked on RCCL SOTS and the one after that on Celebrity Apex.

I had over-charging issues on an NCL cruise.  Went to GS the evening before disembarkation day and was assured it would be sorted.  It wasn’t.  Queued up next day and had to wait while someone went off to the specialty restaurant to check it out (that’s where the charges had been added).  As we had an early flight, I told them I couldn’t wait any longer.  I was told not to worry, they’d look after it.  My cc was charged with the over charges included. Contacted NCL and finally had a rebate to my card.  However, as the onboard charge was in USD, I had incurred a loss due to currency exchange and bank commissions, then lost again as the rebate - in USD - was converted back to Euros, falling victim to the exchange rate and commission charges a second time. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 8:00 PM, beltsbear said:

The desserts are a bit much.  This varies ship by ship but on the royal princess they would not just give me the gelato I wanted which was cheaper and easier.  So first time I ordered the big Sundae which is free for me with the gelato flavor I wanted.  The second time I ordered the big sundae without two of its features, no brownies and no coating the glass in chocolate.  They made it as asked. The third time i deleted everything but the gelato but they still put brownies and whipped cream in.  I was on princess premier.  The next time (in two months) , I will further experiment with the Jack Nickelson method of just getting gelato. 

I do a mean Jack Nicholson impression, do you think they would get it?

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2024 at 8:22 AM, 555 said:

Can you blame them?

Other people take their time getting what they want but throw a fit when they have to wait behind someone else. I can't blame them but I can ignore them.                                                                                                                                                                

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 8:38 PM, Thrak said:

One should keep track of their account while onboard. It's extremely easy to do with the app. I check every day and it takes almost no time at all. Getting an erroneous charge fixed while onboard is simple. Doing it once one has disembarked could be problematic.

If one can't view the folio after disembarking, just to be cautious, I will probably screen shot the folio in app before I leave. Hopefully I won't have any issues but at least this way I'll have documentation.

43 minutes ago, ninka26 said:

If one can't view the folio after disembarking, just to be cautious, I will probably screen shot the folio in app before I leave. Hopefully I won't have any issues but at least this way I'll have documentation.

Just get a printout from the machine...

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 8:25 PM, lorri111 said:

The pics I have seen of the speciality desserts look a bit much - are you able to substitute anything else for them? I seem to recall someone mentioned gelato- is this true of all ships and where is the gelato bar (Royal specifically).

On the Regal Princess, we asked the server if we could just have 1 or two scoops of ice cream instead of the Speciality Desert.

His answer….no problem.  

On 3/31/2024 at 3:34 PM, jean-lynd said:

cake.jpg

We had Princess Plus…but to be honest, we had so much food that either between lunch and dinner, or late at night we just had tea and a chocolate chip cookie. 

• Like 1

I had a piece of the red velvet cake last year on the Majestic and did not like it. I found the cake to be dry and tasteless, and the icing didn’t taste anything like cream cheese icing, and I love cream cheese icing

57 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Just get a printout from the machine...

Machine?? Sorry ... 1st time cruiser and 1st time on Princess.

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

On the Regal Princess, we asked the server if we could just have 1 or two scoops of ice cream instead of the Speciality Desert.

His answer….no problem.  

I still want to  know it the lollypop is wrapped or not so we could bring it home for the nephew. 

1 hour ago, rocker57 said:

I had a piece of the red velvet cake last year on the Majestic and did not like it. I found the cake to be dry and tasteless, and the icing didn’t taste anything like cream cheese icing, and I love cream cheese icing

Princess seems to make all their icing from whipped cream. Even their carrot cake isn't make with cream cheese nor their Italian cannoli's aren't all that good. 

7 hours ago, CrazyTrain2 said:

I do a mean Jack Nicholson impression, do you think they would get it?

Given the average age and countries of origin of the crew, I doubt that many have seen that movie.  Asking one of them to hold the brownie between their knees might invoke a rather odd reaction! 

A bit of movie trivia.  The young woman sitting across from Jack in that scene is Toni Basil, the singer of the "Hey Mickey, He's So Fine" song.

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

A Kiosh where you can print a copy of you bill in real time.  

Would that be located near guest services? Thank you for the tip!!!

I had mixed results on the Sky in February attempting to just have gelato without all the add-ons. The first time I asked, it was no issue at all. The fellow asked what flavors I would like, and I was soon on my way with two scoops in a small bowl. The second time, the very next day, the fellow manning the counter that time, said there was no varying from the fixed menu options. He was very determined to uphold the rules even though I had politely said the accommodation was made just the day before. He then raised the ante by saying that also vanilla was the only gelato option. I gave up after that. It wasn't worth the possibility of another awkward encounter.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ninka26 said:

Would that be located near guest services? Thank you for the tip!!!

It was actually @Thrak’s tip.  I was just explaining what he met by machine.  

if I recall correctly, yes.  You can also request a print out at the desk.

Edited by jagoffee

6 hours ago, 555 said:

I still want to  know it the lollypop is wrapped or not so we could bring it home for the nephew. 

When ordering, I asked if I could get the lolly still in the wrapper and they obliged :O)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Palo4911 said:

When ordering, I asked if I could get the lolly still in the wrapper and they obliged :O)

That's great. Thanks for the comeback.

10 hours ago, StellaGrace said:

I had mixed results on the Sky in February attempting to just have gelato without all the add-ons. The first time I asked, it was no issue at all. The fellow asked what flavors I would like, and I was soon on my way with two scoops in a small bowl. The second time, the very next day, the fellow manning the counter that time, said there was no varying from the fixed menu options. He was very determined to uphold the rules even though I had politely said the accommodation was made just the day before. He then raised the ante by saying that also vanilla was the only gelato option. I gave up after that. It wasn't worth the possibility of another awkward encounter.

I hope you gave him an excellent review on the survey. 😉

• Haha 1