Has Silversea Really Changed That Much?

lolawpb

10 minutes ago, Archipelago said:

My last trip on the Shadow I had a seafood chowder. I was sick on my stomach and nauseated within 40 minutes from food poisoning. I felt okay once I got rid of that tainted chowder . First time I've ever gotten sick on a cruise ship's food . No more seafood or fish for me 

Chundered chowder. 

4 hours ago, DavyWavey70 said:

There's no cure Lola, If Bro-coli goes anywhere near my food

For me, it was asparagus.  But with counseling, a patient spouse, and enough wine, I worked through it.

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)

I have noticed no real difference in the level of service after 10 cruises, the last 3 being back to back. I think I have about 200 days.  (Don't underestimate free laundry after 100 days.  Even my underwear came back folded separated by sheets of tissue paper).  I don't like caviar which to me tastes like salt.  Lobster I won't miss because I Ilve in New England and there is a lobster glut.

The comments above about costs is pertinent.  For us to go into New York City for a weekend (1 night), a show and dinner costs about $3000-  $1000 for a hotel, last time we stayed at the Lagham, another $1000 for show tickets,  dinner for near $1000 -we did eat at 11 Madison Park, which used to be the best restaurant in the world until they went to their vegan menu, but we had the wine pairings,  (Replacing 11 Mad Park as the best restaurant in NYC and perhaps the world is also about is Le Bernadin-go before someone screws that up too) for its $1000 (for 2)-tasting menu with wine, tip and taxes,  So $1600ish per night on SS doesn' really phase me.  We looked at going South to an Island this winter and the prices were even more stratospheric.  The Ritz Carlton Dorado Beach is $1895 per night with nothing, add food, a $350 round of golf, tips and taxes you are looking at $3000 a night.  And add Business Class air to that.  I won't even mention Paris which can make NYC look cheap.  I know I will get push back on being entitled etc. but I am and don't apologize for it.  I am guessing the average net worth of a Silversea passenger on a longish cruise is north of $5 million.  (they do need to keep their market in mind)  We can afford to pay high prices and there will be a mass exodus if they start getting cheap and cutting corners.  I fear that Ms. Muckermann might have read the tea leaves and jumped ship tp Crystal before RCL manages to screw up SS.  

I have had the seamless service that I look for to Silversea for, transfers, hotels etc. for all of my voyages without them messing it up.  So I am staying with SS until, or if, they stop getting it right, which I obviously hope does not happen.  I don't want to go through am audition process of Regent, Seabourn, and the rest of the higher end cruise lines, especially since if go through all the trouble of taking a cruise I want to be at sea around 30 days, so I am always doing B to B's which I highly recommend.   

Edited by chrism23
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hey Le Bernadin was the best before 11 Madison Park even existed. The year 11Madison opened Eric Ripert was aclaimed the best chef in New York. Our son worked in NYC for 7 years and between 2002 and 2018 we went to Le Bernadin nearly 20 times. Not bad for an Australian.

• Like 5

Many years ago we went to a very fancy restaurant in New York called Lutece.  We were staying at a hotel called the Mayfair Regent and the night we went to Lutece the restaurant in our hotel fed Woody Allen and Mia Farrow.  Pity we missed them.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Many years ago we went to a very fancy restaurant in New York called Lutece.  We were staying at a hotel called the Mayfair Regent and the night we went to Lutece the restaurant in our hotel fed Woody Allen and Mia Farrow.  Pity we missed them.  

The night I went to Lutece, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were there. Shows how long ago that was!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, chrism23 said:

I fear that Ms. Muckermann might have read the tea leaves and jumped ship tp Crystal before RCL manages to screw up SS.  

Is this fact or speculation?  It seems plausible that she might have moved to Crystal (If there was no noncompete arrangement), but I was not aware that such a move had taken place.

17 minutes ago, Observer said:

Is this fact or speculation?  It seems plausible that she might have moved to Crystal (If there was no noncompete arrangement), but I was not aware that such a move had taken place.

Nothing about Ms. Muckermann on Crystal, at least, not yet. 😏

1 hour ago, Mahogany said:

The night I went to Lutece, Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were there. Shows how long ago that was!

I proposed to my wife in Lutece (1985).  Lutece was THE top restaurant in NYC for many many years.  Andre Soltner was a true pioneer of French cuisine in NY.  One of the first celebrity chefs. He seemed like a decent humble person also.

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

Hey Le Bernadin was the best before 11 Madison Park even existed. The year 11Madison opened Eric Ripert was aclaimed the best chef in New York. Our son worked in NYC for 7 years and between 2002 and 2018 we went to Le Bernadin nearly 20 times. Not bad for an Australian.

Your son has great taste.  If I were to recommend one restaurant in NYC it would be Le Bernardin.  Truly magnificent.  Looks like dinner is only $210, a relative value these days  Thats only $50 more expensive than La Dame on the Nova 🙄(no wine of course). 

https://www.le-bernardin.com/menus/dining-room/dinner

• Like 5

I know I'm both late to the thread and an interloper on this board but felt so much vindication reading thru the comments here. We cruised on Muse in Alaska last summer, our first on SS, and felt on several occasions like we must be taking crazy pills.

In Atlantide we ordered the tuna steak rare/med rare and it came out gray. Sent it back for another. Same thing (see pic below for try #2). Eventually talked to a manager and he said that they pre-cook the tuna steak and if you want it rare you must give them 24 hours notice. What??? Why on earth would you even serve tuna steak if that's how you're going to prepare it???

image.thumb.jpeg.44270a24abff72fa0f18228f87ab9c6c.jpeg

Our allergens meeting with the head chef was bizarro, as he basically talked trash about his staff in front of us. (And it turned out his staff was right and he was wrong!)

Our sushi lunch at Kaiseki was fine except the unagi was smoked eel with, and I kid you not, actual bbq sauce on top.

Our one attempt at the famed pizza was inedible mush in the center. 

I know all lines and ships are not perfect all the time, but I couldn't figure out for the life of me why SS got rave reviews. 

Btw, @UKCruiseJeff, loved reading your analysis of the industry and the underlying trends. Would love to read more of it!

• Like 2

On the Muse currently.  Have 130 days on SS.  We have two more booked but we just booked a Seabourn where we only have 18 days onboard.  SS has basically no enrichment or learning, the quality of the entertainment outside the Venetian has deteriorated, and the food quality has gone down.  There is  and rush for dinner at 700, and we have often not even been able to get in to Atlantide until almost 850.  Too many people at one so food is slow coming out and then folks sit around and chat while others are waiting for a table.  

There is a lot of new competition out there, Ritz, Explora, Atlas, Four Seasons and Eclipse not to mention Seabourn and Regent.  SS needs to step it up a little but afraid the new CEO will take it down further.

• Like 2

We are on the Spirit now. I must say that the level of service improved significantly compared to our previous two cruises. But the menus in Atlantide shrank. And black caviar is not in the menu anymore, although it is still available on demand. But overall a better experience due to better service.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

On the Muse currently.  Have 130 days on SS.  We have two more booked but we just booked a Seabourn where we only have 18 days onboard.  SS has basically no enrichment or learning, the quality of the entertainment outside the Venetian has deteriorated, and the food quality has gone down.  There is  and rush for dinner at 700, and we have often not even been able to get in to Atlantide until almost 850.  Too many people at one so food is slow coming out and then folks sit around and chat while others are waiting for a table.  

There is a lot of new competition out there, Ritz, Explora, Atlas, Four Seasons and Eclipse not to mention Seabourn and Regent.  SS needs to step it up a little but afraid the new CEO will take it down further.

Notwithstanding your other comments, I think one of the pleasures of dining is to sit after the meal and enjoy conversation. Perhaps with another wine, a coffee or a port/liqueur.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Notwithstanding your other comments, I think one of the pleasures of dining is to sit after the meal and enjoy conversation. Perhaps with another wine, a coffee or a port/liqueur.

My interpretation of Bohaiboy's comment was that they were sitting around talking waiting for food, not AFTER the food.

2 hours ago, ak1004 said:

We are on the Spirit now. I must say that the level of service improved significantly compared to our previous two cruises. But the menus in Atlantide shrank. And black caviar is not in the menu anymore, although it is still available on demand. But overall a better experience due to better service.

Good to know.  We embark next week in Civitavecchia.  Any other feedback would we welcome.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Good to know.  We embark next week in Civitavecchia.  Any other feedback would we welcome.

Both  pre and post .  Atlantide overwhelmed by customer at 700.  Then customers sit around chatting   We arrived at 835 pm tonight. Not seated until 905 pm. Missed 930 show.  We just booked a SB cruise.  Fed up with SS and the RCL management

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, bohaiboy said:

Both  pre and post .  Atlantide overwhelmed by customer at 700.  Then customers sit around chatting   We arrived at 835 pm tonight. Not seated until 905 pm. Missed 930 show.  We just booked a SB cruise.  Fed up with SS and the RCL management

I thought you were on Muse?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

My interpretation of Bohaiboy's comment was that they were sitting around talking waiting for food, not AFTER the food.

I think he meant they were remaining at the table chatting after eating, and therefore blocking other passengers who were waiting to dine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

we had dinner yesterday 7pm. Group of 6. The service was excellent. The place was not full. Menu more limited than previous sailings, but still plenty of choices.

5 hours ago, bohaiboy said:

Arriving in the dining room at 8:35pm, there was no way you were going to be finished and out for the 9:30pm show anyway.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

we had dinner yesterday 7pm. Group of 6. The service was excellent. The place was not full. Menu more limited than previous sailings, but still plenty of choices.

Do you happen to know how many passengers are on the ship?  I cannot recall Atlantide's not being full by, say, 7:30 or 7:45 pm on a heavily booked cruise. 

1 hour ago, Observer said:

Do you happen to know how many passengers are on the ship?  I cannot recall Atlantide's not being full by, say, 7:30 or 7:45 pm on a heavily booked cruise. 

I will ask tomorrow but most categories were waitlisted months before the cruise started. 

On the Muse now. We were told it is completely full (at least for the leg from Tokyo to Seward). Trying to eat around 8 pm (2 people)  we were turned away from Atlantide multiple times and had to eat in Indochine (which has been dreadful this cruise). Mentioned the issue in the mid-cruise comments and Igor, the restaurant manager, told us, essentially, that we needed to make  reservations elsewhere if we want to eat around 8. If we want to eat at Atlantide we have to eat earlier.

Last night we arrived at 7:15, waited in line for about 10 minutes and got one of the last tables for 2. It was near the door and we watched couples being turned away or waiting until almost 9 to be seated.

We  were on the Muse last year for a fully booked cruise and never experienced this. Indeed, in over 350 days on Silversea we've never experienced this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sea bright said:

On the Muse now. We were told it is completely full (at least for the leg from Tokyo to Seward). Trying to eat around 8 pm (2 people)  we were turned away from Atlantide multiple times and had to eat in Indochine (which has been dreadful this cruise). Mentioned the issue in the mid-cruise comments and Igor, the restaurant manager, told us, essentially, that we needed to make  reservations elsewhere if we want to eat around 8. If we want to eat at Atlantide we have to eat earlier.

Last night we arrived at 7:15, waited in line for about 10 minutes and got one of the last tables for 2. It was near the door and we watched couples being turned away or waiting until almost 9 to be seated.

We  were on the Muse last year for a fully booked cruise and never experienced this. Indeed, in over 350 days on Silversea we've never experienced this.

Ship is not 100% full.  We were offered to move to another ste because our neighbors play their television too loud.  

We too have never experienced waits like this.  Something does add up here.  And last night my duck was not edible it was so tough.

• Like 1