Just Booked Celebrity w/ the Kids... Having 2nd Thoughts

gvgseg

My wife and I just booked our first Celebrity cruise on Solstice to Alaska later this summer including our 12 year old daughter and 9 year old son. We got caught up in the excitement of booking another cruise and the urgency of locking in a dwindling supply of available cabins, but we are now having buyer's remorse about whether Celebrity/Solstice is a good line/ship to take the kids.

Our kids are experienced cruisers, who love a good buffet and typically enjoy cruising, but they only know the world of larger Norwegian ships (Escape, Joy, Encore) that are filled with water slides/parks, a wide variety of specialty dining options (that don't require cover charges,) and many other areas for entertaining younger passengers. Neither of them are very fond of going to the kids' clubs and we try not to drop them off there unless there is an activity or evening show that isn't appropriate for them to join us. This will also be their second Alaska cruise, so there isn't the novelty of the Alaskan scenery/wildlife either. 

Should we be worried that they are going to be bored on this ship? Help put our minds at ease now that our $1,000 non-refundable deposit is paid and final payment is a mere 2 weeks away.

Signed,

Concerned Cruiser w/ Kiddies

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gvgseg said:

My wife and I just booked our first Celebrity cruise on Solstice to Alaska later this summer including our 12 year old daughter and 9 year old son. We got caught up in the excitement of booking another cruise and the urgency of locking in a dwindling supply of available cabins, but we are now having buyer's remorse about whether Celebrity/Solstice is a good line/ship to take the kids.

Our kids are experienced cruisers, who love a good buffet and typically enjoy cruising, but they only know the world of larger Norwegian ships (Escape, Joy, Encore) that are filled with water slides/parks, a wide variety of specialty dining options (that don't require cover charges,) and many other areas for entertaining younger passengers. Neither of them are very fond of going to the kids' clubs and we try not to drop them off there unless there is an activity or evening show that isn't appropriate for them to join us. This will also be their second Alaska cruise, so there isn't the novelty of the Alaskan scenery/wildlife either. 

Should we be worried that they are going to be bored on this ship? Help put our minds at ease now that our $1,000 non-refundable deposit is paid and final payment is a mere 2 weeks away.

Signed,

I took my kids on the Summit to Bermuda (and Alaska on Disney Wonder the year prior to that and Wonder didn’t have crazy amenities either) at that age and had no issues whatsoever. Mine weren’t club kids either but enjoyed just hanging around.  I think it all depends on your kids and whether they enjoy just doing their own thing. One way I’ve made more adults more enjoyable for kids is giving them some ownership like each gets to plan one port day within a prescribed budget or each gets to plan a sea day for the family.  

Most of us somehow survived childhood boredom.  If it was a mistake, it was a mistake, but you won't know that until it's done.  Are you willing to lose the $1K?  Otherwise, go and make it a fun trip for your family.  Celebrity is more sedate than NCL.  Knowing that now, you can plan for it. 

Do it!  When my kids were very young (up until age 8 we did the normal Disney trips, resorts, main line cruises, etc. Since that time, 6 years ago, they have travelled the world on what would be considered adult type trips - Africa a few times, Galapagos, Egypt, 3 Silversea cruises in which there were no or only a few kids and multiple scuba liveaboards where they were the only kids on the boat every time.  They loved every minute of the “adult” trips and learned a great deal about the world and other cultures. On each trip I found the other adults severely underestimated the value of brining their kids on those types of trips but afterwards regretted not doing so after seeing ours. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

My kids (now 14 and 12) started cruising when they were both infants. For context, they’ve sailed on most major cruise lines including some family favorites like Royal, Disney, Carnival, and MSC in different regions of the World.

We’ve also taken our kids on more “adult oriented” cruise lines like Celebrity and Holland America, and on every single cruise, they’ve had an absolute blast. Before each cruise, I tell the kids where we’re going and what the ship is going to be like. That way, they know what to expect and there are no disappointments when “this cruise isn’t like the last one”.

We did Celebrity Solstice to the Mexican Riviera when the kids were 10 and 12. Kids still rave about that cruise and say that it was one of their favorite.They were BUSY most of the time, and when they had some down time, it was a welcome change. They loved hanging out at the pool and participated in every scheduled activity or game that they could squeeze in. Loved the silent disco and ABBA parties at night. They’re not that interested in kids clubs anymore so they didn’t attend. For down time, they often enjoyed just laying on the grass at the Lawn Club and watching a movie or game. Ashore, I made sure to book fun activities to get their adrenaline flowing like off-roading in ATV’s. 

Even though there were no flow riders, zip lines, ice skating rinks or water slides like on other ships they’ve sailed on, they had a great time. My son has repeatedly said that it’s nice to sail on a ship that is “simpler” (although he does miss the flow rider). He’s learned that cruising is about more than all the gimmicky stuff. 

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 4

Solstice is a nice ship..but no water slides or such..It will be different  than NCL but they may make friends  and find things to do..movies etc.  They might even enjoy the Kids Club program..let them try it!

lucky kids going on a second Alaska cruise!

21 minutes ago, gcornell said:

Since that time, 6 years ago, they have travelled the world on what would be considered adult type trips…

They loved every minute of the “adult” trips and learned a great deal about the world and other cultures... 

I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve taken a similar approach with my kids. Their first cruises were easy, Caribbean/Bahamas cruises close to home, but a few years back, we started expanding our horizons to new destinations. It’s been a wonderful and eye opening journey for the whole family.

They still take the occasional Caribbean/Bahamas cruise, but they most look forward to the next big vacation where we get to explore something new. 

• Like 1

Solstice will definitely be a more calm and peaceful ship experience compared to the other amusement park types. Frankly, my opinion is that Alaska itineraries deserve the quiet of the Solstice. Having said that, your children can have a ton of fun!  Since they’ve been before, maybe this time around they can dig deeper into the beauty of their surroundings. Here’s a couple things I might consider doing if I were taking my kids:

1.  Picture challenge:  Who can capture the most wildlife photos? 
2.  Scavenger hunt bingo card (made in advance)

3.  Experience Challenge:  “The one new thing I did today…. Ate today…. Saw today..

since it’s summertime, the chances of your children meeting others their age are really good. I think you have the opportunity to make this a vacation they will never forget…the ship is just the vessel!  Have a wonderful time!

if I may suggest an activity, it would be the Raptor Rescue Center in Sitka,   They rehab many bald eagles, owls and other birds.  After a presentation with a resident bald eagle, you can wander and check out the eagle flight training centre as well as the many birds housed outside. 

Agree with others that there are many ways to keep kids involved   This is could be a nature cruise. ..spot the seals, might even get to hear an iceberg calve.    Bring  binoculars  for each child.  ( Depending on cabin Celebrity has 1 pair per cabin. ). 

Have fun

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Have sailed Alaska on Celebrity with my kids. At the time they were 15yrs & 9yrs old and they had a blast! We made our family adventure 100% about Alaska and booked many fun and exciting excursions. Sometimes kids surprise us, they don't always need water slides or rockwalls to enjoy what the planet has to offer. 

Go...Enjoy...Soak in your family time! Trust me, it goes by way too fast! 

Patty 

Edited by cw2go
  • Like 2

We've taken our boys on several cruises, all on Celebrity, since 2016, starting when they were 13 & 15. Interestingly, one is an introvert and one an extgrovert. They both have had a great time on each cruise. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Besides, it's Alaska, just tire them out with excursions in port each day.

6 hours ago, gvgseg said:

Signed,

They are your kids and you know them best,  Nobody here knows them and can only post about their own kids and experiences.  Given that, how can anybody truly put you mind at ease?  If you are really concerned enough to post here on this topic, then maybe your gut is telling you something about your situation?

You'll always get polarizing answers to this question. A few people will surface to tell stories about how Celebrity is their kids' favorite cruise. There are generally very few kids on Celebrity and there is reason for it. If your kids are okay with generally nothing geared towards kid friendly activity, lack of multiple casual eating options and staying busy off the ship during the day, it may be fine. If they need entertainment and the RCL/NCL type attractions, it's not a good fit. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

They are your kids and you know them best,  Nobody here knows them and can only post about their own kids and experiences.  Given that, how can anybody truly put you mind at ease?  If you are really concerned enough to post here on this topic, then maybe your gut is telling you something about your situation?

Ah, once again we are like-minded as this was pretty much what I was going to post. Not knowing OP's children, all we have to go on is their posted comment, which seems to indicate that yes, they made the wrong choice. I suspect, however, that all will survive the trauma of an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gvgseg said:

1--Our kids are experienced cruisers, who love a good buffet and typically enjoy cruising,

2--Should we be worried that they are going to be bored on this ship?

1---LOL--- There's the answer--- 

Save losing the $1000---and forever " guessing " whether you did the right thing.

Also, your question is impossible for anyone on CC because I doubt anyone knows your children.

Most likely there will be other children on board---- somehow, they will find each other and have a great time.

2---( Been there, done that )----So, If they are bored --- LOL----" Find something to do " !!

How ya feelin now ???

7 hours ago, gvgseg said:

Signed,

If I post and say that my kids loved it and then the following post says their kids hated it, it doesn’t solve your “situation”.  Time for mom and dad to come to a consensus because they know their kids, we do not.

When do you go to Alaska? Keep in mind that there is a high chance that it will be too cool (even in July) for any outdoor waterslides, pools to be enjoyable (even if they're open). So it wouldn't matter whether you are on an NCL or Royal ship with those things. 

Alaska is about the scenery and ports anyway. I bet they'll be just fine.

As follow up, if your kids have only experienced one type of vacation, it's challenging to know if they will like a different type until you try.  They don't know what they are missing because they haven't experienced it.  As I said above, we were doing typical kid vacations until we decided to introduce something different to them.  Looking back, there were no signs my kids were ready for adult type vacations.  We gave it a shot, built up the excitement talking about the new experiences and places.  They talk about it every day at school with teachers, their friends and with us.  The maturity and confidence level of both my kids, but especially my midde school age daughter, has been incredible.  She dives with sharks, drove an ATV through the packed streets of Cairo, rapelled down 250ft waterfalls, viewed Lions within just a few feet, etc.  Priceless.  So again, my suggestion is to go for it and expand their world.

I wouldn't take kids that age on Celebrity myself.  I know others have perfect kids, etc.. I just don't see it being fair to most kids, especially kids who have only known mega ships with slides, etc...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Probably the best answer you'll see today.  ^^^^

• Thanks 1

Also consider that the water activities of the bigger ships may not be much of a draw on a cooler Alaska sailing - enjoy the trip you have planned.  When we sailed with our kids at that age none of the ships had much in the way of slides, etc and we had a great time as a family.

Posted (edited)

We just booked a cruise for March of 2025, it will be our 4th. We try to cruise every 3-4 years if financially viable. We did take time away from cruising for 8 years, feeling a child under 8 does not benefit from a cruise that much. We often (atleast in Belize and Roatan) try to visit both a local grocery store, local neighborhood, local school and even visited an orphanage on Roatan. A visit to a local zoo or recognized natural Park is also educational. I know my kids loved wandering Cozumels undeveloped side of the island as well, crashing waves, rock formations, little critters all new to them. As young teenagers now, they still learn stuff. Basically, we tend to make the trip educational for the kiddos and not just waterslides and beaches

Edited by KarlK

OP here...

Didn't think this would get that many replies, but appreciate them all (even the snarky ones.)

In general, I think we will be ok. My kids are pretty calm and not super energetic and are generally fine with sticking with us and checking out the trivia, cooking demos, art auctions, etc. However, it is nice to have some more kid-friendly options now and then.Overall though, I think they will just enjoy being on the cruise ship.

I agree that Alaska will also mean less time at the pool/waterslides, but it looks like the Solarium only offers very limited (mostly meal times) for kids to use the Solarium indoor pool.

On another note, I saw that the specialty restaurants had a children's price. Does that require them to order from a kids menu or can we have them order off the regular menu?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gvgseg said:

On another note, I saw that the specialty restaurants had a children's price. Does that require them to order from a kids menu or can we have them order off the regular menu?

They can order off either menu--- 

For a " special treat " try Murano if it is on that ship.

Excellent food--- French service--- nice memory

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

all we have to go on is their posted comment, which seems to indicate that yes, they made the wrong choice.

I don’t think that the OP’s post is necessarily indicative that they made the wrong choice, but more of an attempt in their part to set realistic expectations. 

Their post reminds me of when we I booked a Holland America cruise when the kids were 9 and 11. I “impulse booked” it without thinking twice because I found a killer deal (way cheaper than the family friendly cruise lines). The excitement was followed by the “oh crap” thoughts, thinking that, not only the kids would kill me, but my wife would kill me for booking “an old people” cruise. Like the OP, I posted on the HAL board to know what to expect. 

Long story short, it all worked out and we had a great cruise. But part of it was because we prepared ourselves for what we could expect. Hopefully it will be the same way for the OP and their upcoming Celebrity cruise. 😀

• Like 2