Norfolk departure

We learned yesterday that the Pride 4-21-24 cruise will not be sailing from Baltimore, but will sail from Norfolk. 

Southwest was very helpful in changing flights at no additional charge to Saturday from Sunday. Now of course, we need a hotel. Three older ladies in one room. There are so many hotels in the area, so I'd like to ask for recommendations if I could. If possible a place with comp. breakfast and shuttle service would be ideal. Thanks in advance.

I looked in the East Coast departure board, and did not see anything for Norfolk.  As it is just a seasonal home port, not all that surprising.  Here is hoping some that have sailed from there chime in.

9 hours ago, MURCOTT said:

We learned yesterday that the Pride 4-21-24 cruise will not be sailing from Baltimore, but will sail from Norfolk. 

Southwest was very helpful in changing flights at no additional charge to Saturday from Sunday. Now of course, we need a hotel. Three older ladies in one room. There are so many hotels in the area, so I'd like to ask for recommendations if I could. If possible a place with comp. breakfast and shuttle service would be ideal. Thanks in advance.

Four of us, all adults, stayed in a room with a pull-out couch close to airport (it was Marriott brand, had breakfast) then took Uber to cruise port next morning, ride reasonable, maybe $30. However searched but could not find hotel we stayed at. But wanted you to know trip to cruise port is not a terrible price from a hotel near the airport. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MURCOTT said:

22 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Four of us, all adults, stayed in a room with a pull-out couch close to airport (it was Marriott brand, had breakfast) then took Uber to cruise port next morning, ride reasonable, maybe $30. However searched but could not find hotel we stayed at. But wanted you to know trip to cruise port is not a terrible price from a hotel near the airport. 

Tried editing but too late - was mistaken - did further research - we stayed at Holiday Inn Express Norfolk Airport (not a Marriott).

Posted (edited)

Norfolk is a great city if you stay downtown so you have things to do before your cruise. I'd recommend staying in one of the hotels right near the waterfront (there's a Hilton and two Marriott hotels) or getting an airbnb in that area.

It's pretty quick and easy to get from the airport to the port, though, but realize that there's not a whole lot to do out by the airport.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by notscb
  • Like 1

We are in the Marriott Waterside right now to catch Legend tomorrow. There are a bunch of hotels that are almost walking distance from the port.  Marriott, Hilton, etc.

Thanks to all of you. Since we learned so late about using Norfolk, many of the hotels were sold out. We found the Hyatt Place Chesapeake and booked it. Seems to be right in between the airport and the cruise port. 

You guys are the best, thanks again.

• Like 3

For those leaving on the 4/21 cruise Carnival is still providing comp bus transportation from Baltimore to Norfolk and back.  Info supposed to be e-mailed by tomorrow to secure a reservation according to the J Heald page.

A good alternative for those driving from the north to the port..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MURCOTT said:

Thanks to all of you. Since we learned so late about using Norfolk, many of the hotels were sold out. We found the Hyatt Place Chesapeake and booked it. Seems to be right in between the airport and the cruise port. 

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.  Let us all know how it works out.

We stayed at Farfield by Marriott 5800 Burton Station Rd. Room was nice and it was about 15-20 minutes from port. Lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. Room was clean and there were three of us also. 

Only concern was getting an uber to the port. Luckily someone was getting dropped off in a taxi and we were able to grab him. We had two ubers cancel on us before that. We had no problem getting an uber from the port back to the hotel to pick up our car. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, pohlerbear said:

Only concern was getting an uber to the port. Luckily someone was getting dropped off in a taxi and we were able to grab him. We had two ubers cancel on us before that. We had no problem getting an uber from the port back to the hotel to pick up our car. 

It helps if you Uber a block or two away from the port, and then walk a few blocks.  The area by the terminal gets super congested, so a lot of drivers don't like it.  The last time we Ubered to the Hilton right by the port, and just walked a few blocks.  Super easy walk.

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, StephPS79 said:

It helps if you Uber a block or two away from the port, and then walk a few blocks.  The area by the terminal gets super congested, so a lot of drivers don't like it.  The last time we Ubered to the Hilton right by the port, and just walked a few blocks.  Super easy walk.

We didn't have any problem getting an uber at the port. We had two cancel on us trying to get from the hotel to the port. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, pohlerbear said:

We didn't have any problem getting an uber at the port. We had two cancel on us trying to get from the hotel to the port. 

I understand, what I am saying is, if you Uber from your hotel to the port, the port is very congested, so it's not uncommon that drivers cancel.  Instead, don't Uber to the port, but Uber to a location a block or so from the port and walk to the port.  We Ubered from our house, we randomly picked the Hilton because we know the area and know it would be easy to get dropped off there and walk to the port.

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 3

They specifically won't let Ubers or Taxis get close to the port because of congestion. Technically they're supposed to drop you off at the port's parking lot and you ride the port's shuttle buses to the terminal.

So yeah the best workaround is to have the Uber drop you off a block or so away and walk in, if you are able.

• Like 1

Just embarked yesterday.  They are making people get dropped off on the street in front.

There is NO assistance available.  The cop directing traffic said the porters came out there, but it turns out they are NOT ALLOWED TO DO SO.

Luckily fellow cruisers are nice people and will assist you.  Otherwise you would sit out there until after the ship left.

If you have a choice, STAY AWAY FROM THIS PORT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Just embarked yesterday.  They are making people get dropped off on the street in front.

There is NO assistance available.  The cop directing traffic said the porters came out there, but it turns out they are NOT ALLOWED TO DO SO.

Luckily fellow cruisers are nice people and will assist you.  Otherwise you would sit out there until after the ship left.

If you have a choice, STAY AWAY FROM THIS PORT.

Sorry you had to go through that. I know when I cruised out of Norfolk last year they recommended that everyone be dropped off at the offsite parking lot, they had accessible shuttles and porters there. But I don't know if they have the same setup this year since this was all so last-minute. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mz-s said:

Sorry you had to go through that. I know when I cruised out of Norfolk last year they recommended that everyone be dropped off at the offsite parking lot, they had accessible shuttles and porters there. But I don't know if they have the same setup this year since this was all so last-minute. 

they do.

if you are embarking and you will need assistance with your luggage, the cruise parking lot is really the best option.

• Like 2

So, the recommendation from Carnival to drop luggage at the terminal and then go park is not a good option?

I can pull up a map of the harbor area. Where is the Carnival recommended parking?

Have there been porters at the parking area to collect ship luggage or do they expect it to be lugged aboard the buses?

Thanks for any and all help.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, John Reid said:

So, the recommendation from Carnival to drop luggage at the terminal and then go park is not a good option?

I can pull up a map of the harbor area. Where is the Carnival recommended parking?

Have there been porters at the parking area to collect ship luggage or do they expect it to be lugged aboard the buses?

i can't speak to the first question because i haven't gotten the notification for our cruise yet, but all drop offs will occur across the street from the terminal as only the Carnival buses will be allowed in the circle. there will be porters on the other side of the seawall as I understand it, but they are not allowed to come and help curbside.

the previous info from Carnival has directed people to the Cedar Grove lot.

the porters will be at the Cedar Grove lot and will collect luggage there and take it separately to the ship.

the lot will also have ADA-compliant buses for anyone who needs one.

Edited by wxtrix
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, John Reid said:

I don't know what they're recommending this year. Last year when I cruised out of Norfolk, Carnival told everyone to go to Cedar Grove parking, even if you were being dropped off. They had porters and shuttles there. This was to prevent congestion in the downtown area and to ensure everyone had the assistance they needed.

I chose to park at Asphalt Lots, which is a private offsite company not affiliated with the cruise port or city at all. They ran their own shuttles and dropped us off across the street from the cruise terminal. We had to wheel our luggage to the terminal on our own.

My wife and I travel light (we shared one suitcase) and are able bodied so that was not an issue at all for us.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 11:09 AM, MURCOTT said:

We’re on the Legend right now. We left Norfolk on the 15th so I’ll share our experience.

We actually stayed at the Hyatt Place Chesapeake on Sunday night! It was good value and was walkable to several eateries in the strip mall off the parking lot, which was a big plus. We paid $33 for a Lyft XL to the port from there.

At the port:

They had a section of the street in front of the port blocked off for taxi and Uber/Lyft drop-offs with staff and police directing traffic. We had to walk about half a block to give our bags to the porters. It was simple and quick and staff was there to direct us every step of the way. 

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, cdoncruise said:

We’re on the Legend right now. We left Norfolk on the 15th so I’ll share our experience.

We actually stayed at the Hyatt Place Chesapeake on Sunday night! It was good value and was walkable to several eateries in the strip mall off the parking lot, which was a big plus. We paid $33 for a Lyft XL to the port from there.

At the port:

They had a section of the street in front of the port blocked off for taxi and Uber/Lyft drop-offs with staff and police directing traffic. We had to walk about half a block to give our bags to the porters. It was simple and quick and staff was there to direct us every step of the way. 

Enjoy your cruise!

This is very helpful info. and one of the things we were stressing about. Thanks for that. Walking long distances is not one of our strong points. Now we have to wonder if there will be taxis right there for ride back to the Norfolk Airport?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MURCOTT said:

This is very helpful info. and one of the things we were stressing about. Thanks for that. Walking long distances is not one of our strong points. Now we have to wonder if there will be taxis right there for ride back to the Norfolk Airport?

We called Uber and asked that we be picked up at Starbucks which is just across the street. Sorry, not sure where taxis line up.