Penthouse vs. Concierge

I have read the literature on Oceania’s site and scoured through here, but still undecided. TL/DR: Bucket list item for hubby. Trip is in October 2025 11 night Antiquity starting in Rome and ending in Istanbul. We tend to spend a lot of time on our veranda and enjoying each other’s company but do like to venture out. With this tiny bit of information in mind, is the suite worth it? The Concierge level is really, really nice, but the butler serving dinner from the speciality restaurants in the cabin sounds really luxurious. Does anyone have personal experience and thoughts? Thanks for any responsess.

We prefer the Penthouse because the room is bigger and has a larger shower as well. 

Having a butler is great. Ours checked in with us at least once a day to see if we needed anything. We never requested dinner in our cabin, but he did get us several extra dining reservations. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The butler is a nice add on but make sure that you will actually use their services on your cruise.  We had a butler on our Silver Seas cruise and did not use the service very much which was our fault/omission. 

Use the forums to determine everything the butler can do for you and confirm in your mind that you will actually use those benefits and services. 

If the room size/bigger shower and hopefully a few more specialty dining reservations are worth the extra cost (in base fare and higher gratuities) then go for it and fill your "bucket"

Enjoy the trip no matter which you choose.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We've sailed PH and Concierge (once each).

• Dinner served in your PH by your butler was so-so because of the small table and -- at least in our case -- he had other things going on, so he wasn't as much to hand as a waiter would be; you refilled your own coffee cup, etc.

• We'd really rather not sail with an 'R'-class non-suite bathroom again.  Nevermind the shower, the commode was awkward, too.

• If 6:30pm non-shared specialty reservations are important to you, then PH is important to you, but that makes them *expensive* reservations.

• If you have to quarantine, you *will* appreciate the extra space.  ...and for the record, in-your-cabin dinner from the specialties in that case does not include butler service -- they put everything in one pile on a waiters stand outside your door and play ding-dong-ditch.

Edited by Snaefell3
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, thebsinmiss said:

The butler is a nice add on but make sure that you will actually use their services on your cruise. 

We had a butler on Nautica last year. We'd booked a penthouse because of the regular mention of the shower cubicle being very small in lower grade staterooms. We had no use for him, with the exception of one night we ordered the freebie canapes. They weren't very nice, so never repeated it. 

• Like 1

We often spend from 75-100 nights annually on O ships and, as sloop sailors, see zero need for any cabin larger than B (veranda) or A (concierge). 
The significant price difference to move up to a PH - basically for unnecessary space and an equally unnecessary butler would only serve to test our budget’s ability to stay the course of having O serve as our regular vacation home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Love the penthouse and would not reserve anything smaller.  We do make use of the butler a great deal.  We generally have breakfast in our room and do have room service from specialties a few times on each cruise.  The table may be small; but the butler can serve you course by course.  It still beats getting showered and dressed up after a long day of sightseeing.

WE have also felt that the cultural exchange with our butlers has been a highlight of our cruises.

And, there is no better authority on where to find things and what is happening on the ship than the butler.  If he doesn't know, he will find out.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

I have read the literature on Oceania’s site and scoured through here, but still undecided. TL/DR: Bucket list item for hubby. Trip is in October 2025 11 night Antiquity starting in Rome and ending in Istanbul. We tend to spend a lot of time on our veranda and enjoying each other’s company but do like to venture out. With this tiny bit of information in mind, is the suite worth it? The Concierge level is really, really nice, but the butler serving dinner from the speciality restaurants in the cabin sounds really luxurious. Does anyone have personal experience and thoughts? Thanks for any responsess.

Yes. as asked above, which ship?

We've had PH suites on the Riviera (and also on larger suites on other cruise lines/ships).

However, I have a bit of a mobility problem, so we tend to spend more time in our suite than we would have when younger.  So the extra space and services do make a real difference (although we would do quite fine without these extras, and have done just that on some other ships and still had wonderful trips!).

We have a big breakfast delivered almost every morning.  There's not much better on vacation than waking up to the aroma of coffee and bacon, and perhaps a few gentle clinks of china.

NOTE:  We tell our butler to IGNORE any "privacy" sign, that if we really don't want anyone else, we'll bolt the door.  That is, if they are bringing us something, knock (or ring bell), wait a short time, and then just come right in.

They are professionals.  They can be very unobtrusive when that's what's called for, and very friendly when *that* is what is called for, etc.

And we do enjoy extra specialty restaurant meals, so we tend to get those en suite, given the limitations on "in restaurant".

We ALWAYS tell our butler that we are usually *very* flexible about timing (and if we aren't, we'll make that clear).  So IF we have requested service at what ends up being a busy time, just give us a quick call about a better time and do it that way.

One thing we REALLY enjoy/prefer is a forward view, and we prefer that a lot!  But not all ships have cabins/suites with forward views that work well for us, so we are flexible with that, too.  (Or they are limited and we just can't get those...)

But we can make do and enjoy quite a variety of "amenities", or lack thereof.  We've been places that didn't even have simple room service, and we had wonderful times, there, too. 🙂 

Until now, we have been somewhat time limited on taking vacations, so we don't mind spending a bit more (on land or at sea).  If we start doing more traveling, we may cut back a bit on some of the luxe if that seems prudent.

There hasn't yet been a single trip where we didn't have a *wonderful* time!

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My opinion (for what its worth) is that if this a bucket list trip, and you can afford it by getting a penthouse room and will not have to scrimp in another area of your life, I would go for that.

(Please note that my comment is coming from someone who has never stayed in a penthouse room!  LOL)

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

@coolbluegreenseas First, I have not read all the responses to your question.  I think you are looking for an opinion so let's start with that.  If you are asking about these two staterooms, it lets me know either are within your budget.  I would do a Penthouse. Be very careful how out imagine this cruise in your mind.  I learned this lesson.  Always have Realistic Expectations.  

I also will be cruising, in October 2025 on the Vista leaving from Monte Carlo and end in Venice.  My cruise is 10 days.  I am in a Penthouse and our friends are in a Concierge stateroom.  Last year we did a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise on the Oceania Riverina. We did a Vista Suite and they did a Penthouse.  They are fine with the Concierge stateroom this time because they did not effectively utilize the butler.  We did.  None of use even once had dinner in the suites.  That is nice once in my opinion.  Everything seems to be better at the actual restaurant. Remember, my opinion only.

Everyone wants something different from a cruise.  Be true to yourself.  Life is to short.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 6

I appreciate the responses! As far as budget goes, I can make either work. What I hate to do is purchase a service and never really use it. Still, the larger cabin and bathroom just might be worth it. I have time to think this over.

Thank you so far!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We did Concierge on Riviera in June 2022 (Mediterranean), and PH on Vista in January 2024 (Caribbean).  We loved having the butler, but perhaps didn't make full use of their services.  We had him unpack for us (very nice!).  We also had him bring fresh coffee each morning to our room at a designated time (15 minute or so window), and probably had about 4 breakfasts brough to us.  This was much better than standard room service, in that he set our table, and our breakfasts were in individual plates and not just thrown together).  One night we did specialty dining after a long, exhausting shore excursion.  It was amazing.  He also served us our sparkling from embarkation day, which we had been saving.  A great experience overall! 🙂

Edited by DENIE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

I appreciate the responses! As far as budget goes, I can make either work. What I hate to do is purchase a service and never really use it. Still, the larger cabin and bathroom just might be worth it. I have time to think this over.

Thank you so far!

We have travelled mainly on the R class ships and would only sail in PH on them as the lower cabins are just too small. On the Riviera we have sailed both PH and Concierge. Concierge is ‘adequate’ but PH is just that much more spacious with a much wider balcony.

We didn’t have much use for the butler on the Riviera, but then it was not only our first Oceania cruise, it was our first ever ‘modern’ cruise. We learnt as time went on that actually the butler was a ‘lovely’ extra. He would more or less bring what we wanted, olives, nuts and crisps instead of the canapés that we didn’t enjoy. One really rough night in the South China Sea we had tea and English muffins in the early hours of the morning. There were lots of other nice touches too. It’s just a case of ‘asking’ and it they can they will.

However, in saying all that there is 24 hour room service. We just found the PH suites just that much more ‘special’. It’s a ‘bucket list trip’ and you can do PH so I  would say go for it!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We always sail in a PH - the primary reason being more space. Concierge veranda staterooms are too small for our comfort level.  We make limited use of the butler. Usually one morning per cruise we’ll have breakfast in the cabin and we’ll order the canapés a couple of times but that’s it. 
We’re sailing on Vista for the first time next year and we’ll be in a PH. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, coolbluegreenseas said:

Thank you so far!

If you ever decide to do one of Oceania’s “R” ships, where some “larger” folks find many of the cabin showers to be “too small,” here’s a proven strategy for enjoying the shower:

1. Only shower when the ship is underway in rough sea conditions.

2. Get wet and lather up completely with soap.

3. Under running overhead shower, spin around against the shower walls allowing ship motion to agitate you (just like a washing machine).

4. Rinse off thoroughly.

5. Towel dry.

BTW: if the seas are extremely rough, you won’t even need to go to the spa for that massage!

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Money aside, on R ships, we would go to PH (regular cabins are just a bit smaller than our comfort level). On O ships (and Vista), regular cabins are very nice size, no need for PH only to get more space (at least for us), but other perks are nice if you use them.

Always better to be young, handsome, rich and healthy than old, ugly, poor and sick, so if you can afford PH, why not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Having a butler can be nice.  Best butler got our suitcase fixed, carried my laundry back and forth to the laundry room, and got us dinner reservations at some specialty restaurants.  Some butlers never do anything. On one cruise, we saw the butler on the last day. He was looking for an extra tip. $0. I don’t book a suite for the butler. I book it for location and space.  On R ships, only book suites.  The regular cabins are very small. On O ships, Marina, Riviera, or Vista, regular cabins are ok.  They have adequate space and nice bathrooms.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@coolbluegreenseas First, I have not read all the responses to your question.  I think you are looking for an opinion so let's start with that.  If you are asking about these two staterooms, it lets me know either are within your budget.  I would do a Penthouse. Be very careful how out imagine this cruise in your mind.  I learned this lesson.  Always have Realistic Expectations.  

I also will be cruising, in October 2025 on the Vista leaving from Monte Carlo and end in Venice.  My cruise is 10 days.  I am in a Penthouse and our friends are in a Concierge stateroom.  Last year we did a 10 day Mediterranean Cruise on the Oceania Riverina. We did a Vista Suite and they did a Penthouse.  They are fine with the Concierge stateroom this time because they did not effectively utilize the butler.  We did.  None of use even once had dinner in the suites.  That is nice once in my opinion.  Everything seems to be better at the actual restaurant. Remember, my opinion only.

Everyone wants something different from a cruise.  Be true to yourself.  Life is to short.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

We also will be on that cruise in a Penthouse.  Looking forward to meeting you in person.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Vallesan said:

We have travelled mainly on the R class ships and would only sail in PH on them as the lower cabins are just too small. On the Riviera we have sailed both PH and Concierge. Concierge is ‘adequate’ but PH is just that much more spacious with a much wider balcony.

We didn’t have much use for the butler on the Riviera, but then it was not only our first Oceania cruise, it was our first ever ‘modern’ cruise. We learnt as time went on that actually the butler was a ‘lovely’ extra. He would more or less bring what we wanted, olives, nuts and crisps instead of the canapés that we didn’t enjoy. One really rough night in the South China Sea we had tea and English muffins in the early hours of the morning. There were lots of other nice touches too. It’s just a case of ‘asking’ and it they can they will.

However, in saying all that there is 24 hour room service. We just found the PH suites just that much more ‘special’. It’s a ‘bucket list trip’ and you can do PH so I  would say go for it!

Hopefully CoolBlueGreenSeas won't mind me tagging onto their post here.

Please elaborate on size a bit. My husband is six foot six and dad-bod, so he takes up a certain amount of space just by necessity. I found videos of a six foot six fellow not quite so dad-bod who demonstrated he fits in the showers even in the Ocean View cabins on several different Oceania ships. This is going to be a big anniversary cruise for us so I really think at least a concierge veranda room, but that nice space in the bathroom in the PH cabins really looks nice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you ever decide to do one of Oceania’s “R” ships, where some “larger” folks find many of the cabin showers to be “too small,” here’s a proven strategy for enjoying the shower:

1. Only shower when the ship is underway in rough sea conditions.

2. Get wet and lather up completely with soap.

3. Under running overhead shower, spin around against the shower walls allowing ship motion to agitate you (just like a washing machine).

4. Rinse off thoroughly.

5. Towel dry.

BTW: if the seas are extremely rough, you won’t even need to go to the spa for that massage!

Oh my stars and little fishes this did give me a chuckle! Husband was not as amused. Some people just don't have a sense of humor. 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

Hopefully CoolBlueGreenSeas won't mind me tagging onto their post here.

Please elaborate on size a bit. My husband is six foot six and dad-bod, so he takes up a certain amount of space just by necessity. I found videos of a six foot six fellow not quite so dad-bod who demonstrated he fits in the showers even in the Ocean View cabins on several different Oceania ships. This is going to be a big anniversary cruise for us so I really think at least a concierge veranda room, but that nice space in the bathroom in the PH cabins really looks nice.

Which ship are you considering? It makes all the difference. 

4 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

I'm not sure what a dad-bod is, but my husband is 6'2" and he manages fine in an R class regular shower.   I'm short.  No problem for me.

• Like 1