Live: Apr 20, 2024 Summit 14 Night Panama Canal Westbound Cruise!

mahdnc

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from mahdnc! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

mahdnc was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

My wife and I are flying out to Miami today for this 14 night Panama Canal sailing on Summit.  This will be our 18th sailing with Celebrity, our second time on Summit, and our first full canal transit cruise.  

Here is our current trip plan (link)

image.thumb.png.484d244cbe3a6d37208e3b12ed506582.png

Since this original itinerary (below) was posted by Celebrity, it has since changed.  We are scheduled to be docked at Costa Rica from 5:15 am to 6:00 PM

image.png.968aa80537d658848d576e04dac8bb

Today's trip objective involves flying out of Chicago (ORD) at about 11:00 am on a 3.2 hr non-stop United flight to Miami.  We are planning on renting a car and driving to Key Largo and staying there for the night.  On Friday will go diving before driving back to Miami to catch the ship which leaves on Saturday.

I hope you find this Live thread to be informative.  To broaden the documented experiences, I have invited other people on our roll call to post as well--we will see what happens.

Our ride to the airport will be at our house in 45 minutes......

David and Marcia

• Like 22

4 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

My wife and I are flying out to Miami today for this 14 night Panama Canal sailing on Summit.  This will be our 18th sailing with Celebrity, our second time on Summit, and our first full canal transit cruise.  

Here is our current trip plan (link)

image.thumb.png.484d244cbe3a6d37208e3b12ed506582.png

Since this original itinerary (below) was posted by Celebrity, it has since changed.  We are scheduled to be docked at Costa Rica from 5:15 am to 6:00 PM

image.png.968aa80537d658848d576e04dac8bb

Today's trip objective involves flying out of Chicago (ORD) at about 11:00 am on a 3.2 hr non-stop United flight to Miami.  We are planning on renting a car and driving to Key Largo and staying there for the night.  On Friday will go diving before driving back to Miami to catch the ship which leaves on Saturday.

I hope you find this Live thread to be informative.  To broaden the documented experiences, I have invited other people on our roll call to post as well--we will see what happens.

Our ride to the airport will be at our house in 45 minutes......

David and Marcia

Safe travels David and Marcia!!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, beachwritr said:

Safe travels David and Marcia!!

Thank you, Marge. I look forward to meeting Joe and you. 

• Like 1

@mahdnc

Bon Voyage! Looking forward to following your Summit sailing live thread. We board her in L.A. after she traverses the Panama Canal, so please keep her shipshape for us, thanks!

Oh I’m so excited to follow your full transit! I loved your Galapagos Live and got such great information for our upcoming Galapagos cruise in September!

We did this cruise in 2018 and it is still one of my favorites!!  In fact, I would love to go again!!

Have a wonderful trip David and Marcia!

2 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

Enjoy David and Marcia! Transiting the canal is an amazing experience 

Thanks, Susan. We will finally meet—a year from now in Solstice. I’m looking forward to that, too. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

We arrived about 2.5 hrs before our flight. We checked our bags and breezed through security. 

We currently relaxing in a United Club near our gate. Like the airport itself, it is not very crowded. 

IMG_7051.thumb.jpeg.2ef10a5f748ed657d18206b86b92eb3f.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 6

We had a nice ride to the airport (ORD) today. It’s about an hour away from our house. 

For the last few years we’ve booked a private car through a driver. It’s $89 each way. 

Lately the person who has been driving us is his son. He’s in his late twenties. Nice kid.  He is into cryptocurrency. I asked him how his investments were doing. He told me that he cashed some of it in for the new car he was driving us in. It was a nice hybrid Lexus and he bought it last week. I don’t think the $89 fare covered the depreciation on the car though. 

We had a long talk about ChatGBT. He uses it quite a lot. It was an illuminating discussion. I may try it at work when I get back from this cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mahdnc ChatGPT is great for first drafts of marketing language, emails, procedures, briefs, etc. Use it regularly as a starting point. Does collect some bad data from time to time, so not perfect. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to following along, we join Summit in LA to Vancouver then in Sept do the E Bound PC. Haven’t been on Summit for almost 10 years back when Captain Kate was at the helm!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galaxy2004 said:

@mahdnc ChatGPT is great for first drafts of marketing language, emails, procedures, briefs, etc. Use it regularly as a starting point. Does collect some bad data from time to time, so not perfect. 

I just heard a presentation from our company lawyers about AI - we were warned that whatever is generated by AI (including ChatGPT) is not copyrightable. The AI company owns it. I found that very interesting!

• Like 2

Just now, JackE said:

I just heard a presentation from our company lawyers about AI - we were warned that whatever is generated by AI (including ChatGPT) is not copyrightable. The AI company owns it. I found that very interesting!

And looking forward to following along @mahdnc! Have a wonderful time!

• Like 1

@JackE Not only not copyrightable, but also have to worry about whether content you use from it infringes on someone else's copyright as it's just grabbing and aggregating information. Lots of interesting issues to be worked out in AI. 

• Like 1

Hello!

Looking forward to another great review!

The itin looks great ..if you write that Summit is in good shape,  we might just look for this itin. We would book AQ Class or Concierge.

.We have never done the FULL transit,  and east to west is best for us based on time zones!

Also interested in posts about your  pre cruise trip.

• Like 1

Following with great interest.  We will be on this same itinerary next April.  We have been on the Summit 3 time (twice before re-do and once after).  We love the ship but have been reading some not so favorable comments lately.

Hope you have a great trip and the Summit is back up to her excellent standards.

• Like 1