Noises in cabin on Celebrity Ascent and Beyond

dacf

Hello 

We were thinking of booking a cruise on the new Ascent until I read some people saying that they were hearing noises from their cabin at night, like someone banging on a pipe.  These complaints were coming from both ships.   A friend of mine got off of the Beyond last month and she said the same thing.

So I'm wondering if it's just certain cabins or certain areas on the ship that are experiencing this noise or are all cabins hearing it?  Your feedback, especially anyone who's been on the Ascent is greatly appreciated.

Sad to hear that ASCENT has joined the creaky party ! 

Why sea trials did not  reveal  this is a big miss!

Hope the new XL will be tested big time!

We were lucky with EDGE and hoping APEX will be OK

I haven’t read any reports of banging on Ascent. We stayed in 2 different cabin categories on different decks… one forward and the other mid ship. The only noise I heard at night was made by the freight train sleeping next to me. 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, dacf said:

Hello 

We were thinking of booking a cruise on the new Ascent until I read some people saying that they were hearing noises from their cabin at night, like someone banging on a pipe.  These complaints were coming from both ships.   A friend of mine got off of the Beyond last month and she said the same thing.

So I'm wondering if it's just certain cabins or certain areas on the ship that are experiencing this noise or are all cabins hearing it?  Your feedback, especially anyone who's been on the Ascent is greatly appreciated.

There was definitely banging on the Beyond and it was a topic conversations at dinner and at functions.  That did not appear to be the case on Ascent.  I would suggest Ascent over Beyond.  No brainer for me .

54 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I havnt read reports of banging on Ascent. We stayed in 2 different cabin categories on different decks… one forward and the other mid ship. The only noise I heard at night was made by the freight train sleeping next to me. 

We had banging and popping in a mid ship sky suite on Ascent last week but maintenance was able to place multiple shims around the veranda door frame and then recaulk the seams and it was totally gone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been on Beyond twice in sunset aft cabins and had no noise issues. Also never had any conversations with other guests complaining about noise. My parents were in a IV cabin on deck 8 mid ship and also had no noise issues. 

19 minutes ago, cruisinsusin said:

We had banging and popping in a mid ship sky suite on Ascent last week but maintenance was able to place multiple shims around the veranda door frame and then recaulk the seams and it was totally gone.

Our sky suite was cabin number was 10120.  We had no noise at all.  There must be a way to map the noise for future travelers.  I'm glad they were able to resolve your noise issues.  I wonder why caulk and shims works for some and not others...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

Have there been any reports of noise issues in the porthole veranda cabins?

On our first leg we were in a PV on deck 8...room 8118.  We had no noise issues.  It seems pretty random.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Our sky suite was cabin number was 10120.  We had no noise at all.  There must be a way to map the noise for future travelers.  I'm glad they were able to resolve your noise issues.  I wonder why caulk and shims works for some and not others...

we were in 11209- we were very glad it was resolved with that repair and only had one sleep deprived night.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to all who replied.  It really seems like it's hit and miss.   We were planning on Mediterranean cruise.  To fly all that way plus money for a cruise, I think we'll stick with the older ships where we know we'll have a good night sleep.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dacf said:

Thanks to all who replied.  It really seems like it's hit and miss.   We were planning on Mediterranean cruise.  To fly all that way plus money for a cruise, I think we'll stick with the older ships where we know we'll have a good night sleep.

We are cruising the Med next year and if sailing with Celebrity, we'd make the same decision as you regarding an older ship.  The Med is so port intensive that it's not about the ship anyway.  Having said that, we are booked on Regent Grandeur...a ship the same age as Ascent and I have read several reports of popping noise as well as paper thin walls.  They don't build cruise ships like they used to, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, cruisinsusin said:

We were in an AQ Prime stateroom Port side 10219 and we had the same banging and popping sound the first night on our seven day cruise. We also called maintenance and they were able to fixed the problem. There was no banging or popping sound after that fixed by maintenance.

Excellent cruise . 

Edited by cruise47

I totally agree with Georgia_Peache.  It's so port sensitive, that we can't take the risk of sleepless nights.   However it would have been nice to be on a new ship.   What's the deal anyway?!   Why can't they just make them the way they use to?  As word travels fast, I'm wondering if this is going to effect how many choose these ships moving forward?   

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 9:30 AM, helen haywood said:

Have there been any reports of noise issues in the porthole veranda cabins?

We had the cracking, popping and banging in our porthole veranda cabin and this was on the Edge.  Was especially bad in the higher seas.

19 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

We are cruising the Med next year and if sailing with Celebrity, we'd make the same decision as you regarding an older ship.  The Med is so port intensive that it's not about the ship anyway.  Having said that, we are booked on Regent Grandeur...a ship the same age as Ascent and I have read several reports of popping noise as well as paper thin walls.  They don't build cruise ships like they used to, I guess. 

I was told that the issue was similar to that with some models of automobiles.  With the increased use of plastic, some car models experience a cracking sound coming from the dashboard area.  When maintenance went into the walls, it was noted that there was an increase in plastic components.  It was known by Guest Services on the Beyond that there was a problem in a number of rooms.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dacf said:

I totally agree with Georgia_Peache.  It's so port sensitive, that we can't take the risk of sleepless nights.   However it would have been nice to be on a new ship.   What's the deal anyway?!   Why can't they just make them the way they use to?  As word travels fast, I'm wondering if this is going to effect how many choose these ships moving forward?   

Less weight is the goal and less steel is used but more plastic and similar material that looks shiny but is less solid and creates more movement and noise. 

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, cruise47 said:

We were in an AQ Prime stateroom Port side 10219 and we had the same banging and popping sound the first night on our seven day cruise. We also called maintenance and they were able to fixed the problem. There was no banging or popping sound after that fixed by maintenance.

Excellent cruise . 

how was the problem fixed?

was it a quick adjustment  or more of a " project"?

Edited by hcat

I have booked a Panoramic OceanView cabin in October and was worried about noise coming from deck 5 below. Our cabin is 6128 which is near the front bank of elevators. Maybe there are nosier places to be?