Regent Seven Seas Voyager debacle

1 hour ago, kjbacon said:

Yes but usually we board in time for their delicious carved rib lunch and an afternoon of cocktails 🍷 lol instead of early evening. I prob have too much time on my hands right now, recovering from minor surgery!!

However... the cost of the cruise includes food and drinks, so I would suppose that 10% of the price includes food and drink... 

I think I have too much time on my hands too (at least my wife keeps telling me I do), and I can't blame it on recovering. 🤣

Hope your recovery goes well and you're back cruising soon. 

Posted (edited)

I kind of get the OP's anger toward the entire situation.  I've had my issues with Regent off and on over the last 15 years as well (I'm sure many of us have had some disappointments at times) but over time I think we've all come to realize that ANY cruise line is subject to issues like this.

IMO, Regent's biggest problem isn't delays or missed ports or changing arrangements, it's communication, plain and simple.  From Miami to their agents to the ship's officers to the website to the passengers there always seems to be a disconnect in the info flow which leads to more aggravation for us, the paying customers.

Sure do wish someone at corporate could take a look at this and find a way to be more forthcoming when there are issues like this - I think it would go a long way toward minimizing complaints like this.

Edit to add:  Having said all this, from what I've read about this Voyager issue I think Regent handled it as well as possible...with the exception of communicating with their disgruntled passengers.

Edited by UUNetBill
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

IMO, Regent's biggest problem isn't delays or missed ports or changing arrangements, it's communication, plain and simple.  From Miami to their agents to the ship's officers to the website to the passengers there always seems to be a disconnect in the info flow which leads to more aggravation for us, the paying customers.

Bingo!  The coverup is always worse than the crime.   

Edited by Lonedaddy
  • Like 2

We experienced a similar situation with Holland America back in 2014.  The ship was not permitted to enter the port in Barcelona due to wind conditions.  We all were sitting in the port area for about 5 hours with very little communication.  Eventually they provided sandwiches and water.  Later we were told to collect our luggage, and assigned to buses to a hotel for the night.  The people in line in front of us at check in were given the last room.  We, and the people behind us were told “sorry, there are no more rooms”.

No representative for HAL to speak with.  We persuaded one of the bus drivers to call the local ship representative, and another hour later we were taken to another hotel, checking in about 7pm.

it was frustrating, exhausting, and wasted a day we could have enjoyed in Barcelona (we had our own hotel and transport to the port prior to the cancelled embarkation).  The next day we were taken back to the port.  No idea how they handled all the passengers who missed their flights.  Very little compensation for the missed day, and we lost one stop in the Azores also.  Their attitude was, well we paid for your hotel and dinner….

At least we knew the cause for the delay.

14 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

I may have missed it, but has this subject ever been revisited by the OP? Did he/she just rant and disappear?

Seems to be the case.  I presume OP is still on the Voyager so we will see if we get anything after the cruise.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, makai 7 said:

We experienced a similar situation with Holland America back in 2014.  The ship was not permitted to enter the port in Barcelona due to wind conditions.  We all were sitting in the port area for about 5 hours with very little communication.  Eventually they provided sandwiches and water.  Later we were told to collect our luggage, and assigned to buses to a hotel for the night.  The people in line in front of us at check in were given the last room.  We, and the people behind us were told “sorry, there are no more rooms”.

No representative for HAL to speak with.  We persuaded one of the bus drivers to call the local ship representative, and another hour later we were taken to another hotel, checking in about 7pm.

it was frustrating, exhausting, and wasted a day we could have enjoyed in Barcelona (we had our own hotel and transport to the port prior to the cancelled embarkation).  The next day we were taken back to the port.  No idea how they handled all the passengers who missed their flights.  Very little compensation for the missed day, and we lost one stop in the Azores also.  Their attitude was, well we paid for your hotel and dinner….

At least we knew the cause for the delay.

That is pretty bad not know how many hotel rooms they needed and I would think that many that were on board may have had a room reserved at local hotels.

Edited by Lonedaddy

The only power problem I experienced was for about 20 minutes while docked in Istanbul.  We were dining in Chartreuse at the time.  There was emergency lighting so we weren't in the dark.  The captain came on and explained the situation.  A few minutes later the lights came back on and all was well for the remainder of the cruise.  I don't know if there were any other electrical problems while I was off the ship.

Also, during the cruise (about day 4 as I recall) the ship started putting into place safety precautions as some passengers had developed a gastro-intestinal bug.  My friends and I all stayed well throughout the cruise.  I never met anyone who was afflicted so I don't know how wide spread the bug was. As is always the case, for those who did get sick, I'm sure it wasn't pleasant.

On 4/24/2024 at 1:53 PM, Lonedaddy said:

Seems to be the case.  I presume OP is still on the Voyager so we will see if we get anything after the cruise.  

Looks like cruise ended in Athens, April 26th, unless OP is doing a B2B should be home soon.  Will we get a follow up?

Edited by Lonedaddy

Me too, it is aggravating not to get a full report on this sort of topic, but my guess is they either decided they were actually enjoying things after the bad start, or feel a bit silly for posting their original moan, or most likely want to forget all about it and can't be bothered.

• Like 2

On 4/23/2024 at 11:15 AM, papaflamingo said:

However... the cost of the cruise includes food and drinks, so I would suppose that 10% of the price includes food and drink... 

I think I have too much time on my hands too (at least my wife keeps telling me I do), and I can't blame it on recovering. 🤣

Hope your recovery goes well and you're back cruising soon. 

Thanks so much! Doing well and looking forward to getting back on the water.

• Like 1