Carnival ridiculous overpriced merchanise

Jkfg

50 minutes ago, sredish said:

I don't get it...every other tourist attraction (Disney, other cruise lines, gift shops in tourist beach destinations, fake "outlet malls", etc) all have overpriced merchandise you can get cheaper elsewhere and at home.  Why let it bother you so much?  It isn't just Carnival.  Nobody is forcing you to buy it.  If you need a purse that badly, get it at a Walmart in port.

Nowhere in a Disney gift shop do they have signs extolling the value of "tax and duty free" shopping, nor do they have shopping advisors constantly telling you how much cheaper things are onboard or in the ports of call vs. at home. Etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Nowhere in a Disney gift shop do they have signs extolling the value of "tax and duty free" shopping, nor do they have shopping advisors constantly telling you how much cheaper things are onboard or in the ports of call vs. at home. Etc.

They don't have to. After every ride and attraction you're dumped into a gift shop. They figure sooner or later they're going to get you! 😁

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jamman54 said:

They don't have to. After every ride and attraction you're dumped into a gift shop. They figure sooner or later they're going to get you! 😁

Eventually you get tired of the kids screaming for a bubble machine or a set of ears or something, you'll pay anything to get it to stop. LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, sgttami said:

Not something I'd eat for free!...lol

I see the day coming where a lot of food will have an added fee:  Guys Burgers, Deli and pizza for starters.

I hope I'm wrong.

Sadly tho,I believe you're 100% spot on. 😕 

• Like 2

On 4/21/2024 at 5:43 PM, ontheweb said:

Talk about price gouging, my DW needed cough drops at the airport in Reykjavik. I finally found them and bought them charging in the local currency. When I got my cc bill, they were over $6 American money.😒  And they were not even individually wrapped and were all stuck together.

Fishburger and 2 beers in Iceland was 65.00 US

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kdr69 said:

Hamburger ($28) and 2 beers ($12 ea) in Midtown Manhattan is $67 including tax ($4.60) and 20% tip ($10.40).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mz-s said:

How many vacation gift shops constantly tell you how great of a deal they are because it's "tax and duty free" etc?

How many vacationers boast about all of the amazing investments they've made on rooms, food, and beverage? 

• Haha 1

i can boast as i always booked a tba room, always got upgraded, as a solo traveler i was willing to take what was left over - did it at least 10 times and it worked well for me. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

Happy hour in Gulf Shores M-F at a Wing style restaurant, smash burger $6, beer $1.

God Bless the free state of Alabama.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I paid $2 US for a token to use the bathroom at a tourist stop in Iceland.

Pretty sure the bathrooms are still free on a Carnival ship.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I paid $2 US for a token to use the bathroom at a tourist stop in Iceland.

Pretty sure the bathrooms are still free on a Carnival ship.

Although the main reason we go to museums on many of our ports is that DW is a (now retired) art teacher, another reason is that their bathroom are also free.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Although the main reason we go to museums on many of our ports is that DW is a (now retired) art teacher, another reason is that their bathroom are also free.

What about the WiFi?

• Haha 1

Same in ports.  In one of the port duty free stores, my teenager wanted to check out the designer perfumes.  She said it was the same price at home (aka still too expensive for her part time job salary lol).

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

McDonald's in NC - McDouble $3.19 (was $1.19 not even 3 years ago), fries free in the app.

Funny story about McDoubles....my 12 year old wanted a cheeseburger when we were on a road trip and stopped at McD's for restroom/food.  The app had a promo for 2/$3 or something, so I ordered her a McDouble and fries for $3, but she was insistent that she only wanted a single burger.  So we customized it on the kiosk to take off one patty.  They gave her a grilled cheese 😞  I had to go back inside after leaving the restaurant to get it fixed, and they told met to just order a single CB next time bc it's cheaper, but I had to tell them it wasn't cheaper with the app promo, and I then told my child that she will take off the extra damn meat patty next time!  She was insistent to not have to do that this time.  Kids!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On the Celebration there is a green Chanel bag (pre loved) for 2K. That same bag has been there since the inaugural sailing (I've been on the Celebration 6x). Together with its LV brothers and sisters and a VERY bored store attendant in a prime location that's such a waste of real estate. 

Even an additional coffee shop there  would generate more income for Carnival. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

On the Celebration there is a green Chanel bag (pre loved) for 2K. That same bag has been there since the inaugural sailing (I've been on the Celebration 6x). Together with its LV brothers and sisters and a VERY bored store attendant in a prime location that's such a waste of real estate. 

Have you ever seen anyone buy sunglasses at a Sunglass Hut?  I haven't but I have see the Sunglass Hut's owner's mansion and yacht.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, dlphn501 said:

Funny story about McDoubles....my 12 year old wanted a cheeseburger when we were on a road trip and stopped at McD's for restroom/food.  The app had a promo for 2/$3 or something, so I ordered her a McDouble and fries for $3, but she was insistent that she only wanted a single burger.  So we customized it on the kiosk to take off one patty.  They gave her a grilled cheese 😞  I had to go back inside after leaving the restaurant to get it fixed, and they told met to just order a single CB next time bc it's cheaper, but I had to tell them it wasn't cheaper with the app promo, and I then told my child that she will take off the extra damn meat patty next time!  She was insistent to not have to do that this time.  Kids!

Our funny McDonald's story---we were on a land trip in Paris and DW wanted decaf coffee. (We figured McDonalds was the same everywhere.) And the girl behind the counter said, "only normal".

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

I don't know about Carnival but on other cruise lines, the shops are not operated by the cruise line. They're operated by a third party and they just lease space from the cruise line.

If that's how it's done on Carnival, it makes no difference to Carnival if the goods sell or not - they are getting their lease paid either way.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, mz-s said:

If that's how it's done on Carnival, it makes no difference to Carnival if the goods sell or not - they are getting their lease paid either way.

As long as they fill the ships.

• Like 1