Sanctuary Collection on Sun Princess

KLM3164

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, capriccio said:

That price difference is between January and April!  There is nothing ‘normal’ about a $2700 increase in less than 100 days.

My aft-D0 Sun is now $5788 higher with the Sanctuary benefits (I was to get when I booked).

and My S9 suite is now $3310 higher with crowded sanctuary & dining rooms plus a premium drink package.

My Star TA was cancelled by Princess and all cabins show no availability on Sky TA.

Edited by dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, keldaria said:

I’m fairly certain suites had access to both the sanctuary and the signature sun deck before. So they had access to the entire area but had a private suite only area within that area which has now disappeared.

Ok now I’m really confused. The “entire area” of the Sanctuary minus the signature Sun deck was $100 per day, and now it’s included, correct? Am I missing something?

7 hours ago, J18ktleo said:

I booked my group in February.  S9's for $3300 and Penthouses (S4's) for $3500pp all with Premier.  They are now over $2200/2 more.

This also happened when I booked Celebrity's newest ship in Suites, within weeks. 

The reason we booked the suites was for the 'dedicated dining, lounge and pool area'.  Now that is being sold to the mini's and Deluxe Balconies and an area that was designed for 80 suites now has 135 more cabins included which means crowds at the pool and for dining.

Yes, there are some of us that like the benefits of a larger ship but also like some 'less crowded' time not amongst the masses and are willing to pay a bit more for it.

For Princess to change these aspects of this class of cabins, basically to sell access on a bit by bit basis depletes the benefits to all.

Not sure who's brilliant idea this was ('hey, let's open up the exclusive suite benefits to twice as many cabins, it'll be FINE')?

They’re also removing all of the C1 and C2 minis from private dining and removing day passes from the sanctuary. I think it is premature to assume that the numbers won’t even out when both the subtractions and additions are made. Even MSC’s Yacht Club and Celebrity’s Retreat don’t have enough space in their dining room and private deck for every single person in suites to be present at the same exact time. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, happy cruzin said:

….but now there is NO dedicated suite space. 

I don’t think we need it….the whole area is now exclusive, with exponentially more space and a lot less passengers than under the old system.  If you’re worried about the “lower class” type passenger, they’ll be priced out of the sanctuary club rooms anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

I don’t think we need it….the whole area is now exclusive, with exponentially more space and a lot less passengers than under the old system.  If you’re worried about the “lower class” type passenger, they’ll be priced out of the sanctuary club rooms anyway 🤷🏻‍♀️

True, eventually. 
I will not be paying the Sanctuary Club fare in the future. Pushing the premium drink package with these high prices on these categories most likely will be short- lived.

So as a “lower class” passenger you’ll just have to put up with me on two cruises in the Sanctuary Club.

I welcome all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

True but for those that had already booked, they paid for it. They are removing it without compensation and giving it to M1 who previously booked ,fo  free. It also means that in the future, there is no adult only section available to those that don’t pay these ridiculous prices that really don’t justify the fact by simply  adding the premier package. 

they are adding kids areas, taking away adult only areas. At least on Celebrity you have the solarium.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dog said:

True, eventually. 
I will not be paying the Sanctuary Club fare in the future. Pushing the premium drink package with these high prices on these categories most likely will be short- lived.

So as a “lower class” passenger you’ll just have to put up with me on two cruises in the Sanctuary Club.

I welcome all.

lol I should clarify that is not my personal assessment of the DO category passengers, in fact I sail in a variety of cabins from an ocean view to a mid level full suite. I’m just responding to the somewhat distasteful vibes I’m getting from people on this topic. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

True but for those that had already booked, they paid for it. They are removing it without compensation and giving it to M1 who previously booked ,fo  free. It also means that in the future, there is no adult only section available to those that don’t pay these ridiculous prices that really don’t justify the fact by simply  adding the premier package. 

they are adding kids areas, taking away adult only areas. At least on Celebrity you have the solarium.

Yeah I’ve always been bothered by the fact that Princess charges for their solarium equivalent. When I do my pros and cons list between Princess and RC/Celebrity, that’s a big thorn in my side with Princess. I think the answer on Sphere class is to just get a cabana mini or otherwise large balcony. You’re going to need it if you want shade anyway. 

ETA: Ironically, this move is making the C1 minis more attractive, until you consider the removed private dining. All these changes are just making it harder to pick the right cabin category.

Edited by vjmatty
ETA
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

Nope - not at all a “lower class” thing. 

I’m concerned about the possibility of 428 other people (215 cabins at double occupancy) impacting my ability to use the space and get suite-level service, that I paid for with my suite booking. 

With the dedicated suite space that was not a concern. 

• Like 5

Ok now I’m really confused. The “entire area” of the Sanctuary minus the signature Sun deck was $100 per day, and now it’s included, correct? Am I missing something?

Suites already had access to the entire area at no additional cost plus a private suite only area that’s been removed. Everyone else could buy into the sanctuary space for $100 a day but not the suite only area. The “Upgrade” for suite passengers is losing their exclusive area and gaining nothing.

Passes for the sanctuary were also limited in availability. The number of people was effectively capped in both scenarios but suites still had a private area before that.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

I’m concerned about the possibility of 428 other people (215 cabins at double occupancy) impacting my ability to use the space and get suite-level service, that I paid for with my suite booking. 

Rightly so.  It is not what you paid for now with these changes.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

I think it was even more of a concern. If we assume as you seem to that everyone will be out there at once, that tiny area was not enough for 160 people. The thing about day passes with the old system, if someone buys it they’re almost 100% likely to use it. Less likely with permissive included access of the 215 cabins.  As I mentioned above, even Celebrity and MSC don’t have enough seating on their decks or restaurants for every passenger entitled to be there at the same time.

But hey, we’re both speculating. We won’t know who’s right until October. 

They’re also removing all of the C1 and C2 minis from private dining and removing day passes from the sanctuary. I think it is premature to assume that the numbers won’t even out when both the subtractions and additions are made. Even MSC’s Yacht Club and Celebrity’s Retreat don’t have enough space in their dining room and private deck for every single person in suites to be present at the same exact time. 

Long term? Sure, short term all C1 and C2 cabins are grandfathered in to private dining based on their prior reserve status. Last I checked those were all sold out on my cruise next April (most cruses in general since a cabana mini-suite on the cabana deck plus reserve dining proved to be a popular combination) so in effect it will be more crowded until the grandfathered status works it way out of the bookings.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, keldaria said:

Long term? Sure, short term all C1 and C2 cabins are grandfathered in to private dining based on their prior reserve status. Last I checked those were all sold out on my cruise next April (most cruses in general since a cabana mini-suite on the cabana deck plus reserve dining proved to be a popular combination) so in effect it will be more crowded until the grandfathered status works it way out of the bookings.

I’m seeing a lot of availability with those but to be fair I’m only booked on Europe and transatlantic sailings in the Sphere class. I don’t sail the Caribbean on Princess because they fail to service the northeast adequately, and there are so many better options in the tropical market. As for short term vs long term, at my age time goes by fast so short term is gone in the blink of an eye lol.

ETA: I should add however, that the lack of shade in the Caribbean might actually make the sanctuary unpleasant.

Edited by vjmatty
ETA
  • Like 1

I love a table so just dropping this on the 215 staterooms that now form part of the Sanctuary Collection:

Category

Name prior to October 14 2024

Sanctuary Collection Name

Total Number of
Staterooms

S9

Signature Suite

Signature Suite

S4

Penthouse Suite

Vista Suite

S2

Owner’s Suite

Grand Suite

S0

Sky Suite

Sky Suite

M1

Reserve Collection Mini-Suite

Sanctuary Mini-Suite

M2

Reserve Collection Mini-Suite

Sanctuary Mini-Suite

D0

Premium Deluxe Balcony

Sanctuary Balcony

Note sure of the dining destination for everyone but the Signature Restaurant has a capacity of 124 and the Reserve Collection Restaurant can cater for 180 guests at a time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

I think it was even more of a concern. If we assume as you seem to that everyone will be out there at once, that tiny area was not enough for 160 people. The thing about day passes with the old system, if someone buys it they’re almost 100% likely to use it. Less likely with permissive included access of the 215 cabins.  As I mentioned above, even Celebrity and MSC don’t have enough seating on their decks or restaurants for every passenger entitled to be there at the same time.

But hey, we’re both speculating. We won’t know who’s right until October. 

Nope - never made that assumption. 

Early in the thread, it was mentioned that there was a Princess webinar, for TAs I believe, to discuss the new Sanctuary Collection.  Anyone on here or following attend it?  I'm curious if any meaningful information came out of it.

3 hours ago, vjmatty said:

ETA: I should add however, that the lack of shade in the Caribbean might actually make the sanctuary unpleasant.

Don't be surprised if they manage to rig up some of the gauze "sails" they use on other ships.  IMO, it doesn't do much at all on Royal Class, so I wouldn't expect a lot of coverage for Sun Class, but they'll make an effort I expect.

I also expect there will magically be more pads on loungers that didn't have them before.

• Like 2

Just now, reiddg said:

Early in the thread, it was mentioned that there was a Princess webinar, for TAs I believe, to discuss the new Sanctuary Collection.  Anyone on here or following attend it?  I'm curious if any meaningful information came out of it.

It was yesterday afternoon and you can find it on Carmen Roig's YouTube page.  It was more of the usual rah-rah sales gab.  I didn't see all of the questions answered either, nor many of the issues raised here addressed.  That would not be in line with the rah-rah session style.

• Like 1

Just now, Steelers36 said:

It was yesterday afternoon and you can find it on Carmen Roig's YouTube page.  It was more of the usual rah-rah sales gab.  I didn't see all of the questions answered either, nor many of the issues raised here addressed.  That would not be in line with the rah-rah session style.

Thanks, I'll look at it.  Can't find where I left my look of surprise but when I find it, I'll use it...😉

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, reiddg said:

My TA attended - it confirmed what we had already figured out. Not many questions or concerns were addressed, it seems. Princess stated that they feel this new plan is "better for the guests".

Not sure I agree - especially since the suites lost things that I feel were important to the suite experience they had promised when we booked.

Edited by happy cruzin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, watched it live since it wasn't restricted to registered TAs in the end and nothing new. Here are some screen grabs. 

sanclub-1.JPG.488b8630585ad9fb57b3e3f039cd64e0.JPG

sanclub-2.JPG.ea1d10e3f07e275ae137ef687b900c27.JPG

sanclub-3.JPG.734369aefd9988e5367c06bd66ce9ad3.JPG

sanclub-4.JPG.b376d8ad75db0ce5c2ea41d80e3517b7.JPG

sanclub-5.JPG.bb8c933c41fc007b04e50447e4f73b08.JPG

sanclub-6.JPG.2b99bc771fee2ab71641f92142ee0d96.JPG

sanclub-7.JPG

Edited by dides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Don't be surprised if they manage to rig up some of the gauze "sails" they use on other ships.  IMO, it doesn't do much at all on Royal Class, so I wouldn't expect a lot of coverage for Sun Class, but they'll make an effort I expect.

I also expect there will magically be more pads on loungers that didn't have them before.

Good question….if they make the whole area homogenous then the cushions will have to match. The question is whether they will do as you say and supply more of the loungers with them or just downgrade those in the former suite area.

Edited by vjmatty
Typo

18 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I watched it post live and did not find anything noteworthy beyond what we already know here. Definitely over the top promotionalism if that’s a word. I’m also disliking her husband the more I hear about him lol, especially the dissing of Amtrak irritated me because I love trains. Anyway I am sure they filtered out a lot of the questions we all had because she either didn’t have an answer or didn’t want to answer. 

• Like 1

What does “GRANDFATHERS CABANA INDICATOR” mean on my C2 Sun and Star Princess bookings?  

Do I still have Reserve Collection restaurant?  

I see that my Sun Princess M2 booking now has “SANCTUARY CLASS INDICATOR” added.

I’m getting confused by all these changes…

Thanks for any clarification 🙏