Sanctuary Collection on Sun Princess

KLM3164

14 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Interesting.  It looks like the Reserve Collection Cabana Deck Mini-Suites are no more.  There are still Cabana Deck Mini-Suites that offer access to that special seating area on Deck 9, but they have removed the "Reserve Dining" perk that used to come with them.  Here is a comparison of the descriptions of a Sanctuary MS (none of which have Cabanas) and a Cabana Deck MS:

Sanctuary Mini-Suite

• Approx. 304 sq. ft., including balcony
  • Sleeps up to 4 guests
  • Sanctuary benefits, including exclusive dining, events and entertainment
  • Larger than a balcony stateroom and includes a separate seating area with sofa bed as well as two flat-panel TVs, and premium bathroom amenities

Cabana Deck Mini-Suite

• Sleeps up to 4 guests, aprox. 389 sqft., including cabana & balcony
  • Access to exclusive Cabana Deck
  • Balcony with seating & cabana
  • Luxury mattress/pillows, two TVs

If you go to book a Sanctuary MS, you bypass the screen that allows you to opt in to Premier or Plus as you already have Premier built in as a "Sanctuary benefit."  When you go to book a Cabana Deck MS, you are taken to the Premier/Plus page to opt into one of those packages. I guess they figure that if you have a Cabana Deck MS, you don't need to go to the Sanctuary.  But with that assumption comes the stripping away of the Reserve Dining Room.

Yep, although they are grandfathering in the reserve dining room for those who have already booked it, but not included in new bookings 

It is still about as clear as mud.  We received the email confirming Sanctuary upgrade, as well.  We are booked in a full suite S4. There seems to be no benefit for our booking, as all the claimed benefits were present before the upgrade.  One thing I did notice was the wording on the email regarding the suite lounge, (formerly the Concierge Lounge). 

"Personalized service, bespoke amenities, exclusive wellness activities and special events. Enjoy it all. And if you’re a Sanctuary Suite guest, you’ll have exclusive access to the Suite Lounge, the perfect place for your morning coffee, a mid-day retreat or meeting up for drinks before your evening begins."

It sounds like they are indicating the lounge is still dedicated to full suite guests otherwise the underlined text makes no sense.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, kitty2264 said:

It is still about as clear as mud.  We received the email confirming Sanctuary upgrade, as well.  We are booked in a full suite S4. There seems to be no benefit for our booking, as all the claimed benefits were present before the upgrade.  One thing I did notice was the wording on the email regarding the suite lounge, (formerly the Concierge Lounge). 

"Personalized service, bespoke amenities, exclusive wellness activities and special events. Enjoy it all. And if you’re a Sanctuary Suite guest, you’ll have exclusive access to the Suite Lounge, the perfect place for your morning coffee, a mid-day retreat or meeting up for drinks before your evening begins."

It sounds like they are indicating the lounge is still dedicated to full suite guests otherwise the underlined text makes no sense.

Yes, the suite lounge is only for those in S9 and higher.

• Like 1

Yeta another marketing fiasco from the geniuses at Princess HQ. Once again, Princess appears to be reacting rather than innovating - something they are quite familiar with doing.

The problem as we see it is access - other lines make it much easier to choose a level of service appropriate to one's budget/wants. On Princess, it's a shell game. 

We booked a Cabana Mini sometime ago but once we saw the ship in service we were wary of the cabin's balcony lack of privacy. Now we get a notice that "we're changing whatever call your cabin". It's never that simple with Princess - if you get a notice like this, it comes with caveats. 

We loved Princess for decades through several class changes because we always felt we knew exactly what we were paying for. Still we occasionally "cruised around" to see how the other half lived. But this transition (to the new Sun class ships) is a wholesale one for the line. Fine for Princess if that's the way forward for them but for us - itineraries notwithstanding - it's just much less stressful to book elsewhere, pay one price, and be done with it.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, loge23 said:

Yeta another marketing fiasco from the geniuses at Princess HQ. Once again, Princess appears to be reacting rather than innovating - something they are quite familiar with doing.

The problem as we see it is access - other lines make it much easier to choose a level of service appropriate to one's budget/wants. On Princess, it's a shell game. 

We booked a Cabana Mini sometime ago but once we saw the ship in service we were wary of the cabin's balcony lack of privacy. Now we get a notice that "we're changing whatever call your cabin". It's never that simple with Princess - if you get a notice like this, it comes with caveats. 

We loved Princess for decades through several class changes because we always felt we knew exactly what we were paying for. Still we occasionally "cruised around" to see how the other half lived. But this transition (to the new Sun class ships) is a wholesale one for the line. Fine for Princess if that's the way forward for them but for us - itineraries notwithstanding - it's just much less stressful to book elsewhere, pay one price, and be done with it.

It seems Princess had no clear idea on how to launch this new class of ship.  Why wasn’t this all laid out before people were able to book?  They should rename the Sanctuary because it is no longer the same product as on their other ships.  It looks like any other pool deck - minus the shade.  We cancelled.  Our excitement about this new ship is gone.  We would have made it to Elite, but now may never get there.  I’m sure there are many people who will be thrilled with the Sun and Star - and that’s a good thing.  Just not for us.  

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

I will make no determination about this new ship-within-a-ship....   Many will abhor it, and many will be excited.

What I will pass judgement on is how Princess has handled this.

It not only shows complete incompetence, but a lack of respect for all guests who have been booking.  Not to mention a complete lack of transparancy.

This seems to be another example of how the roll-out on this new ship exposes huge problems and incompetence and shortcomings all the way up to Corporate.   

NOTE:  Those who had booked Signature suites are not benefitting...  Those whose cabin has been reassigned just got a 'gift'.   I don't understand why those with Suites might not be happy, as they have lost nothing at all.

I can't believe I didn't see all of this coming, when watching this roll-out and seeing the confusion about those D0 premium balcony cabins.   I am usually pretty perceptive.

it seems clear that 'RESERVE' will disappear.   Princess could either have two choices of SANCTUARY (signature) restaurants...   which might be necessary with all of these new SANCTUARY cabins...  Or the Reserve Dining Room will be changed over to a different, revenue producing, restaurant/venue.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I will make no determination about this new ship-within-a-ship....   Many will abhor it, and many will be excited.

It not only shows complete incompetence, but a lack of respect for all guests who have been booking.  Not to mention a complete lack of transparancy.

This seems to be another example of how the roll-out on this new ship exposes huge problems and incompetence and shortcomings all the way up to Corporate.   

NOTE:  Those who had booked Signature suites are not benefitting...  Those whose cabin has been reassigned just got a 'gift'.   I don't understand why those with Suites might not be happy, as they have lost nothing at all.

I can't believe I didn't see all of this coming, when watching this roll-out and seeing the confusion about those D0 premium balcony cabins.   I am usually pretty perceptive.

it seems clear that 'RESERVE' will disappear.   Princess could either have two choices of SANCTUARY (signature) restaurants...   which might be necessary with all of these new SANCTUARY cabins...  Or the Reserve Dining Room will be changed over to a different, revenue producing, restaurant/venue.

You make some very good points. I would like to point out that people who booked an S9 may have saved a lot of money booking a Sanctuary mini suite.  Giving up a lounge (and in room coffee maker) would not have been a big deal to us.   This is a total cluster.  I also wonder if the restaurant on the back that has never opened is going to be re purposed?

3 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

You make some very good points. I would like to point out that people who booked an S9 may have saved a lot of money booking a Sanctuary mini suite.  Giving up a lounge (and in room coffee maker) would not have been a big deal to us.   This is a total cluster.  I also wonder if the restaurant on the back that has never opened is going to be re purposed?

That restaurant is a licence deal with some artist (Britto?), I don't think they can back out that easily.  I also think based on cost it will be pretty much empty most of the time, but time will tell.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

I think they will have to just combine the Reserve and Signature restaurants.  I am assuming the number of cabins eligible has stayed the same or increased?

10 minutes ago, galveston gal said:

I think they will have to just combine the Reserve and Signature restaurants.  I am assuming the number of cabins eligible has stayed the same or increased?

Number of Sanctuary Cabins is roughly the same as the number of Reserve and Signature (suite) cabins from before the change. Some reserve cabins (cabana) got dropped off but some deluxe cabins got added. I think there may be 10 or so less cabins in the new collection total so not a huge swing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

The reason some of the suites may not be happy is perks that were previously part of the suite package are essentially being devalued by becoming part of a larger class. S9 suites for example now have very little in benefit over former reserve mini-suite packages even though the upfront cost was more for them. Those in larger suites have similar complaints but they still enjoy larger rooms so some differences in cost would be anticipated.

i think the biggest gripe to me is the idea that this is being sold to the suites as an upgrade when in reality the main difference we will notice is the signature restaurant will be more crowded and less exclusive (an assumption but a reasonable one given the lack of clarity here compared to the specific statements regarding the lounge) and the Sanctuary being an included perk vs pay to play will mean that it will likely be more crowded since benefits in inclusive perks tend to be more utilized (to get your moneys worth) than benefits that are al la carte which you’d only pay for and use when you absolutely want to use it.

im sure there will still be plenty of room in these areas and it won’t be a massive degradation of service but the half hazard roll out is disappointing and selling it as an “upgrade” to suites is terrible.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, galveston gal said:

We are on October 19th so the fiasco should be in full swing as they are implementing the changes.

I'll pray for you!  We are not on until Feb 2025 so hopefully things will be sorted out by then - but then again who knows what other changes they'll decide to make.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

That restaurant is a licence deal with some artist (Britto?), I don't think they can back out that easily.  I also think based on cost it will be pretty much empty most of the time, but time will tell.

Saw on Instagram & a post on fb about Britto- soon.

We feel pretty lucky to have booked an S9 with premier a week ago on one of the last European cruises this year and are quite relieved that we won't be subject to this change.  Really wanted to experience the standard of service that @Sox Fan Cruiser had experienced and these changes would appear to dilute that. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, keldaria said:

The reason some of the suites may not be happy is perks that were previously part of the suite package are essentially being devalued by becoming part of a larger class. S9 suites for example now have very little in benefit over former reserve mini-suite packages even though the upfront cost was more for them. Those in larger suites have similar complaints but they still enjoy larger rooms so some differences in cost would be anticipated.

i think the biggest gripe to me is the idea that this is being sold to the suites as an upgrade when in reality the main difference we will notice is the signature restaurant will be more crowded and less exclusive (an assumption but a reasonable one given the lack of clarity here compared to the specific statements regarding the lounge) and the Sanctuary being an included perk vs pay to play will mean that it will likely be more crowded since benefits in inclusive perks tend to be more utilized (to get your moneys worth) than benefits that are al la carte which you’d only pay for and use when you absolutely want to use it.

im sure there will still be plenty of room in these areas and it won’t be a massive degradation of service but the half hazard roll out is disappointing and selling it as an “upgrade” to suites is terrible.

Well said.

Princess just:

1) Provided an incredible gift to the D0 balcony cabins of private dining and sanctuary access (whoever said you can't get something for nothing have not met Princess management);

2) Provided a substantial gift of sanctuary access to those booked in Reserve Mini's; 

3) Shafted those in S9 suites which are basically the same as Reserve Mini's but who probably paid hundreds if not thousands more (versus the Reserve Mini's) just for access to the lounge; and

4) Degraded the experience of those in higher level suites who now have to deal with a much more crowded Sanctuary and private dining.

Edited by CalTexCruiser
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Well said.

Princess just:

1) Provided an incredible gift to the D0 balcony cabins of private dining and sanctuary access (whoever said you can't get something for nothing have not met Princess management);

2) Provided a substantial gift of sanctuary access to those booked in Reserve Mini's; 

3) Shafted those in S9 suites which are basically the same as Reserve Mini's but who probably paid hundreds if not thousands more (versus the Reserve Mini's) just for access to the lounge; and

4) Degraded the experience of those in higher level suites who now have to deal with a much more crowded Sanctuary and private dining.

Do we know how many additional cabins now have access to the Sanctuary - in addition to the 80 that were Signature Suites?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Well said.

Princess just:

Posted when I booked :

IMG_5678.jpeg

Edited by dog

1 minute ago, happy cruzin said:

Do we know how many additional cabins now have access to the Sanctuary - in addition to the 80 that were Signature Suites?

I believe there were 90+ or even 100+ Reserve Mini-suites under the old system, so at least those number of cabins will now have access to the Sanctuary.

LOL

6 minutes ago, happy cruzin said:

From the Sun Princess thread, this is a quote from yesterday’s press release:

The new Sanctuary Collection aboard Sun Princess includes three levels of stateroom types – Signature Collection Suites (80), Mini Suites (123), and Premium Deluxe Balconies (16)

I think there are fewer than 20 S9 cabins so this seems more than a doubling of the number of cabins in the Sanctuary Collection.

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

The new Sanctuary Collection aboard Sun Princess includes three levels of stateroom types – Signature Collection Suites (80), Mini Suites (123), and Premium Deluxe Balconies (16)

I think there are fewer than 20 S9 cabins so this seems more than a doubling of the number of cabins in the Sanctuary Collection.

The 80 Signature Collection Suites breakdown:
SO - Signature Sky Suite - 4
S2 - Signature Owner's Suite - 10

S4 - Signature Penthouse Suite - 36

S9 - Signature Suite - 30

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Thanks!

I'm new to Princess - never sailed with them before, but have done the Haven, MSC YC, and MSC Explora Journeys.  Curious how these 219 cabins having access to the Sanctuary compares to the total people in the Sanctuary on other ships where they sold day passes.

Edited by happy cruzin