Sanctuary Collection on Sun Princess

KLM3164

1 minute ago, pool_lounger said:

I'm interested in finding out if suite guests will still have exclusive access to the Signature deck portion of the Sanctuary still? It was included as a perk before the release of the Sanctuary Club, but I haven't seen it referenced in the new material... Our email just confirmed we would still have access to the Sanctuary. Wondering if the designated suite area of the Sanctuary will still be there after Oct? 

Doesn’t look like it!  Seems to be one big space now  🥺

image.thumb.png.84da272a751b0880045f18fd27d2dfe9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, J18ktleo said:

In 2023 Princess changed the Premier pkg and it required an additional charge which offered more perks that are now standard.  It was very confusing and many, who didn't pay the upcharge, boarded thinking they had the entire pkg but they didn't since the name hadn't changed but, again, Princess 'adjusted' the program perks and there was really no way for passengers to know they did or didn't have the upgrade dpackage (since the name was the same🤪).

I just looked at my group booking and we all have Premier which was included in our booking back in February for the suites, whew, thankfully that's good!  But I don't recall there being an option to book a suite without the Premier pkg.

Yes when we booked you could book a signature suite with no package, Plus or Premier. Of course the pricing changed accordingly. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pool_lounger said:

I'm interested in finding out if suite guests will still have exclusive access to the Signature deck portion of the Sanctuary still? It was included as a perk before the release of the Sanctuary Club, but I haven't seen it referenced in the new material... Our email just confirmed we would still have access to the Sanctuary. Wondering if the designated suite area of the Sanctuary will still be there after Oct? 

Speculation has been that the signature sun deck is being merged into the sanctuary club. If you look at the deck plans the signature sun deck is no longer there implying that it’s a lost perk but there hasn’t been any official word on that from what I’ve seen. 

i did email a princess rep to see if they knew anything but not gotten anything back yet. I’m not hopeful that i will, I doubt anyone but upper management knows for sure.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, J18ktleo said:

In 2023 Princess changed the Premier pkg and it required an additional charge which offered more perks that are now standard.  It was very confusing and many, who didn't pay the upcharge, boarded thinking they had the entire pkg but they didn't since the name hadn't changed but, again, Princess 'adjusted' the program perks and there was really no way for passengers to know they did or didn't have the upgrade dpackage (since the name was the same🤪).

I just looked at my group booking and we all have Premier which was included in our booking back in February for the suites, whew, thankfully that's good!  But I don't recall there being an option to book a suite without the Premier pkg.

Ahh, I understand. Didn’t realize this was an old gripe. Just that nothing changed this time around.

• Like 1

With this change, what is the benefit of booking a S9 - Signature Suite versus a sanctuary mini suite? 

Outside of some “minor” suite benefits you get (the lounge, mini bar setup, laundry, priority embarkation/disembarkation), I don’t see the allure of spending thousands more on a signature suite. 

• Like 4

Since there will be no more Reserve mini suites or Reserve Cabana mini suites, it seems like the new Sanctuary mini suites and Sanctuary balconies would eat in the Reserve Dining Room, not the Signature Dining Room.

I sure am glad that I am booked in a Reserve Cabana Mini Suite before Oct. 14 as having the Reserve dining was an important part of our decision to go with this category of room.

I could be reacting too quickly,  but the more I am seeing here with this new ship, I am seriously second guessing our booking.  No adult area,  No opportunity to book a Sanctuary.....   THESE are the things that we enjoy when cruising...  not all of the 'Screens' and glitz...    And a class system, that as many had complained, might seriously take away from our enjoyment of the cruise.  Seeing  " Sanctuary CLUB "  with the word CLUB could be the straw that seals the deal.

Not sure if we will keep this booking.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I could be reacting too quickly,  but the more I am seeing here with this new ship, I am seriously second guessing our booking.  No adult area,  No opportunity to book a Sanctuary.....   THESE are the things that we enjoy when cruising...  not all of the 'Screens' and glitz...    And a class system, that as many had complained, might seriously take away from our enjoyment of the cruise.  Seeing  " Sanctuary CLUB "  with the word CLUB could be the straw that seals the deal.

Not sure if we will keep this booking.

According to the press release…the “sanctuary club“ is still adult only - 16+

IMG_1620.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Wishing on a star said:

Just to clarify...  that is not an 'adult area'...  that is a very exclusive area, that is not available to most guests.   There is no open and available adult area onboard.  

That disappoints me so much!  We've only cruised once on the CB last summer and spent all our time in either the Sanctuary or the adult only pool by the Lotus Spa.  I wish there was an adult only area on the Sun - either the Wake View and/or Dome/Sea View area (during the day).  Pretty sure the Sun will be a one and done ship for us.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Just to clarify...  that is not an 'adult area'...  that is a very exclusive area, that is not available to most guests.   There is no open and available adult area onboard.  

In the past you paid a premium to gain access to the adult only area, right?  That is my understanding of the Sanctuary on other Princess ships.  This is more of the same, just the access is determined by you paying for the class of room rather then a week long pass.  Either way, it is "exclusive" to those who wish to pay.  Please correct me if I have that wrong?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

LOL.  You just described the Sanctuary on ANY Princess ship.  It is designed to be exclusive so that the vast majority of guests are EXCLUDED.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, pool_lounger said:

In describing the new Sanctuary Collection the Princess website shows the following description for Penthouse Suites and Sky Suites. Description of other accommodations i.e. Mini-Suites does not include the part about the Signature Lounge, Signature Restaurant and Signature Sun Deck.

The Most Relaxing Accommodations at Sea

Surrounding you with deluxe accommodations, a spacious Signature Penthouse Suite with balcony includes all the amenities of our Signature Collection, including access to the Signature Restaurant, Signature Lounge and Signature Sun Deck, a private area of The Sanctuary. Enjoy more living space, a separate seating area with sofa bed, enhanced amenities that range from priority embarkation and disembarkation to a complimentary mini-bar setup in suite and so much more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kitty2264 said:

In describing the new Sanctuary Collection the Princess website shows the following description for Penthouse Suites and Sky Suites. Description of other accommodations i.e. Mini-Suites does not include the part about the Signature Lounge, Signature Restaurant and Signature Sun Deck.

Surrounding you with deluxe accommodations, a spacious Signature Penthouse Suite with balcony includes all the amenities of our Signature Collection, including access to the Signature Restaurant, Signature Lounge and Signature Sun Deck, a private area of The Sanctuary. Enjoy more living space, a separate seating area with sofa bed, enhanced amenities that range from priority embarkation and disembarkation to a complimentary mini-bar setup in suite and so much more.

Interesting!
But on the new deck plans, I do not see any separation of the "Sanctuary Club" like before with the Signature Suite area that was identified as part the Sanctuary.  🤷‍♀️

New:
image.png.92f16643fa564935d5bbf4cc584df153.png

Old:

image.png.7a6ea3adf5c7230f4e9cf64b15a2c2b0.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oteixeira said:

In the past you paid a premium to gain access to the adult only area, right?  That is my understanding of the Sanctuary on other Princess ships.  This is more of the same, just the access is determined by you paying for the class of room rather then a week long pass.  Either way, it is "exclusive" to those who wish to pay.  Please correct me if I have that wrong?

Yes, the Sanctuary was a pay area,and at $40 for a day, reasonable for most, and available to anyone regardless of cabin type.

There was ALSO no fee/free adult only deck and pool areas available to everyone, regardless of cabin type.

Aft wake pool and deck. Retreat Pool and deck/bar.. Lotus Spa poo and deck space. 

Those were all included, no extra charge, adult only areas - lovely. 

None are available on Sun, including Sanctuary - unless you buy a certain cabin class. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kitty2264 said:

I wouldn't put too much faith in that. Those are left over descriptions from before sanctuary collection was announced. If you look at the mini-suites they still reference that some have reserve collection benefits. "Enjoy Reserve Collection upgrades on select Mini-Suites. In addition to the great amenities found in all Mini-Suites, you will receive Reserve Collection upgrades, including access to the Reserve Collection Restaurant.".

These are just left overs from the original setup. I have no doubt they will be cleaned up and updated in the coming days. My expectation is that all sanctuary collection benefits will be offered to every cabin in the collection and that the only suite exclusive area will be the Suite Lounge since they specifically went out of their way to state this. If they intended to keep the dining areas or sanctuary areas separate they would be also indicating this too. They are effectively attempting to side step the issue in an attempt to keep from upsetting the suite class cabins which are loosing exclusive benefits they otherwise paid for.

Edited by keldaria
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Yes, the Sanctuary was a pay area,and at $40 for a day, reasonable for most, and available to anyone regardless of cabin type.

There was ALSO no fee/free adult only deck and pool areas available to everyone, regardless of cabin type.

Aft wake pool and deck. Retreat Pool and deck/bar.. Lotus Spa poo and deck space. 

Those were all included, no extra charge, adult only areas - lovely. 

None are available on Sun, including Sanctuary - unless you buy a certain cabin class. 

Ahhh, so I get it now. 

Your complaint is the removal of the aft wake pool and deck. Retreat Pool and deck/bar as well as the Lotus Spa pool and deck space adult only spaces. 

I understand, but that really has nothing to do with the conversation about the change of a pay per day/week adult area to a pay per cabin adult area.  Because both were, and are, exclusive and pay to play areas on the Sun. 

Your real complaint should be that Princess got rid of those other areas on the new class of ship, which again I don't think has anything to do with the conversation here.  

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

Ahhh, so I get it now. 

Your complaint is the removal of the aft wake pool and deck. Retreat Pool and deck/bar as well as the Lotus Spa pool and deck space adult only spaces. 

I understand, but that really has nothing to do with the conversation about the change of a pay per day/week adult area to a pay per cabin adult area.  Because both were, and are, exclusive and pay to play areas on the Sun. 

Your real complaint should be that Princess got rid of those other areas on the new class of ship, which again I don't think has anything to do with the conversation here.  

Not my complaint 

But, in general - yes, the Sanctuary was the only AO section of Sun/Star, even though it was pay to play (and more than twice any other ship). and now there's none for anyone unless they pay for a Sanctuary Club cabin...  Whereas other ships, there was both upgraded pay, and other included options..   yet another major departure by Princess... 

Also, and unfortunately - the Sanctuary being AO/16 and up - means families booking Sanctuary Club rooms for space, amenities, whatever - can't use it together - unlike "ship within sjio" concept private decks on all other kines...And there's no larger cabins in lower categories for families or larger non-Sanctuary Club options...  

Very weird departure for Princess to both build a ship more appealing to multiple generations, then make the choice to block those same multiple generations from some areas, even if they're a perk of the cabin...

Marketing genius at work I guess...

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Very weird departure for Princess to both build a ship more appealing to multiple generations, then make the choice to block those same multiple generations from some areas, even if they're a perk of the cabin...

Marketing genius at work I guess...

Totally agree on this and guessing if they REALLY want families they will change this to be kids allowed with the parents in the area, but we will see.

I have two main observations/questions on this matter since Suite accommodations are not in our future (save for a freak Powerball or or Mega Millions win).

Several posters have mentioned how much the Suites and Minis included in the new Sanctuary badging have jumped in price.  On a pure math front, PCL has bundled in the Premier Cruise Fare package at $80/day.  They have also bundled in Sanctuary access (Sun/Star) which is $100/day.

Did the prices of these cabins jump more than $180/day?  Not withstanding perceived value of these new forced inclusions, any price increase beyond $180/day seems like gouging and not in line with the increased value-add.

IDK the interest of Suite and Mini guests for the Premier plan versus the Plus plan, but my impression from posts is several book it, but many don't see the added value of $20/day over the Plus.  I also wonder how many Suite guests have interest in Sanctuary since you get loungers and spacious balconies with Suites.  I am not sure I have read a high correlation here, so not sure if those guests who prefer to book Suites really want to be forced into the bundled extras.

• Like 1

Another issue raised is that access to Sanctuary is not possible for the masses on Sun and Star (and presumably the ships that will follow).  It is now turned to an exclusive area for most expensive cabins (save for a handful of special deluxe balconies. 

For me, based on the early reports of what the Sanctuary is on the Sun for $100/day, I have zero interest in booking it, whereas I am all over it for Caribbean sector voyages on most of the rest of the fleet.  So, the loss of even having the option on a Sun/Star voyage doesn't really concern me.  That said, I presume they will upgrade the whole thing by this Fall because they only had the nice padded loungers primarily in the exclusive Signature Suite section and I doubt anyone included in the new Sanctuary Class is going to be happy to be laying out on a crowded sun deck in regular loungers.  I continue to believe the lack of much shade is going to be a huge problem until they resolve that. 

I still want to experience the Sun Class one day - because it is new and different for the most part.  I don't see this change really affecting us as I would not have been attempting to book the Sanctuary even in the Caribbean.

Other than trying this new Class out, I would prefer one of the older ships if I was taking a Caribbean cruise in order to have a decent Sanctuary experience.  Who knows if Princess will look to alter the experience on the older ships - particularly Royal Class - in order to deliver at least some level of this new change of Ship-Within-A-Ship?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"Your real complaint should be that Princess got rid of those other areas on the new class of ship, which again I don't think has anything to do with the conversation here. "

The two are almost inseparable.

...You guys can question and mis-quote all you want....  but, it is all very clear.

Most every ship has an adult area....  an open access adult area... NOT just the exclusive 'Sanctuary'....    Carnival has open adult areas.

The Sun princess, does not....  Not at all.  No adult only option for the majority of guests.

That is a huge 'MISS'

Questioning and throwing comments and doubts does not change that.

Again,  we certainly did not book this cruise, months ago, for the Ports....  The biggest draw was the new ship.  Now that the light of day is shining, and the veil has been lifted... It seems that there is no adult area for guests (non-Sanctuary) onboard.  And it also seems that the ship has a totally different vibe, with a lot of large open spaces.. flashing screens, etc...  That is not what we have enjoyed while cruising Princess.   And, the things we might have looked forward to are no-more.

For us, there are other options out there, and we will be considering whether we will cancel our booking.

Anyone is free to have a different opinion.  No need to go after any other person who is commenting.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have two main observations/questions on this matter since Suite accommodations are not in our future (save for a freak Powerball or or Mega Millions win).

Several posters have mentioned how much the Suites and Minis included in the new Sanctuary badging have jumped in price.  On a pure math front, PCL has bundled in the Premier Cruise Fare package at $80/day.  They have also bundled in Sanctuary access (Sun/Star) which is $100/day.

Did the prices of these cabins jump more than $180/day?  Not withstanding perceived value of these new forced inclusions, any price increase beyond $180/day seems like gouging and not in line with the increased value-add.

IDK the interest of Suite and Mini guests for the Premier plan versus the Plus plan, but my impression from posts is several book it, but many don't see the added value of $20/day over the Plus.  I also wonder how many Suite guests have interest in Sanctuary since you get loungers and spacious balconies with Suites.  I am not sure I have read a high correlation here, so not sure if those guests who prefer to book Suites really want to be forced into the bundled extras.

Those of us who already have reservations in the Signature Suites are already paying for the Sanctuary (actually the formerly named Sun Deck that is now part of the Sanctuary Club).

Here's the difference for my S9 cabin between my

• booking made in January for two with the Plus package web price: Signature category S9 (deck 15): $2629 plus $153 taxes and fees per person (total = $5564)  (My TA charged $5164)
  • booking for two today with the Premier package web price: Signature category S9 (deck 15):  $3979 plus $153 taxes and fees per person (total = $8264)

A difference of $2700 with the only additional benefit being $20 per day/per person ($280) for the Premier package is highway robbery.  Especially when it seems the Sanctuary and Restaurants may be much more crowded than originally planned.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1