Have my parents been scammed by Princess Promotions?

7 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I don' think that they "target" the older population, but the older population is less internet savvy (they doesn't buy wifi or have alerts), less techie, and more trusting.  

The tactics are, however, ruthless.  With regards to the cold calls:  ONE reps were misrepresenting the Princess Promotions packages at the beginning stating that they were special offers for Elite Captain's Circle Members.  (I got 2 of these using this tactic.)  Then Princess decided to disguise calls from ONE reps as post cruise check-up calls as part of a "Welcome Home Program", which were really calls to sells Princess Promotions packages.  Futhermore, the cold call ONE reps try and build false trust by talking about your cruise history and future cruises, which they only know about because Princess shared your Captain's Circle profile with ONE without your consent.

Can't say I'm feeling the love with regards to Princess Promotions.  I DON'T LOVE THIS!

This thread talks about how the packages were a represented as a benefit of being Platinum and Elite.

The Princess press release talks about the "Welcome Home Program"

https://www.princess.com/en-us/news/news-releases/2023/02/princess-cruises-launches-welcome-home-program

Screenshot 2024-05-27 000935.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SCX22 said:

The tactics are, however, ruthless.  With regards to the cold calls:  ONE reps were misrepresenting the Princess Promotions packages at the beginning stating that they were special offers for Elite Captain's Circle Members.  (I got 2 of these using this tactic.)  Then Princess decided to disguise calls from ONE reps as post cruise check-up calls as part of a "Welcome Home Program", which were really calls to sells Princess Promotions packages.  Futhermore, the cold call ONE reps try and build false trust by talking about your cruise history and future cruises, which they only know about because Princess shared your Captain's Circle profile with ONE without your consent.

Can't say I'm feeling the love with regards to Princess Promotions.  I DON'T LOVE THIS!

This thread talks about how the packages were a represented as a benefit of being Platinum and Elite.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/news/news-releases/2023/02/princess-cruises-launches-welcome-home-program

Yes, I've gotten those calls but somehow I missed that news release.  After our New Zealand cruise in December I thought that perhaps I was receiving the call in response to what I'd said on the survey.  I think the agent was quite shocked at what I had to say (let's just say it was a problem that was allowed to continually happen at the buffet) and couldn't wait to move on to the sales pitch.  After I said not interested a couple of times she asked if there was something else she could help me with.  I mentioned something I was going to reach out to my CVP about and she said no, I'd have to contact him.  Pretty clear that the only purpose for the call was to sell me Princess Promotions.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

Yes, I've gotten those calls but somehow I missed that news release.  After our New Zealand cruise in December I thought that perhaps I was receiving the call in response to what I'd said on the survey.  I think the agent was quite shocked at what I had to say (let's just say it was a problem that was allowed to continually happen at the buffet) and couldn't wait to move on to the sales pitch.  After I said not interested a couple of times she asked if there was something else she could help me with.  I mentioned something I was going to reach out to my CVP about and she said no, I'd have to contact him.  Pretty clear that the only purpose for the call was to sell me Princess Promotions.

If it is not my CVP’s phone number I send the call immediately to voice mail. Using high pressure 3rd party marketers is not unique to Princess. I have actually had to call my Internet provider to get my number off of their 3rd party call list 

19 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Regardless, this is a black eye for Princess.  But I do not see them eliminating this promotion.  Do you remember when Princess Fine Arts was a reputable company with decent (even sometimes good) art like Wyland? 

Then Park West Fine Arts took over, first as Park West, then as Princess Fine Art? Now you have to register your cabin number to get a glass of their champaign.  In my opinion, they are shysters. 

I have so far managed to escape their cold calls or sales pitch on the ship.  I follow the adage: " too good to be true".  It is lucky for Cruise Critic Members to have these threads that forewarn them of such an approach.

Black eye indeed.  But will it change Princess' approach to making money?  No.  The goal is more money.  The methods they use seem to be "ends justifies means."  It's just so sad that the classy operation Princess used to be has devolved into all of this. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Since I have my profile marked to not receive calls from Princess, everything I get a call from ONE after a cruise I send a complaint to Princess with a copy to the CA Attorney General Customer Complaints Dept, as well as to the FTC.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Since I have my profile marked to not receive calls from Princess, everything I get a call from ONE after a cruise I send a complaint to Princess with a copy to the CA Attorney General Customer Complaints Dept, as well as to the FTC.

Has this stopped future calls?  Is it after x number of calls, they can be fined?

49 minutes ago, TRLD said:

I wonder how many complaints it will take to get the attention of the authorities. Maybe a massive fine would get their attention.

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Has this stopped future calls?  Is it after x number of calls, they can be fined?

When I first made the change the calls stopped for about a year. Then after a cruise in January, while I was actually on the second half of a B2B there were 3 messages from different people, but the same number left on my phones voice mail that followed the ONE script. At that point I sent of the complaint letters. No additional calls since, but gave not been on a Princess cruise since.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I wonder how many complaints it will take to get the attention of the authorities. Maybe a massive fine would get their attention.

I just figure that every little bit helps.

2 minutes ago, TRLD said:

I just figure that every little bit helps.

I applaud you and hope more do the same until they reach the critical point where one or both government agencies takes action.

• Like 1

I had received a phone message from someone trying to sell me Princess products. I listened to the message twice because he had my info. We had also bought some FCD's and thats apparently what triggered the sales call.

Now, after reading some posts, I am grateful I didn't call back.

• Like 2

This is, hopefully, my last update on this topic. 

My dad was going to follow-up with Princess Promotions again this morning, but, when he was checking his online banking to make sure he had the amounts correct, he noticed that the "monthly installment" of $250 USD had also been refunded.

I didn't mention it previously, but there was also a mysterious charge last week of $179 in Canadian dollars (I don't know what it was in USD before the conversion). We thought my mom, who is currently floating off the coast of Alaska somewhere, had gone rogue and gone back to the FCD. But the $179 has also now been refunded. No clue what that was charge was for.

I'm going to mention this one last time because my dad said that, if he had known this at the time, it would have made a difference - the Future Cruise Desk staff do not work for Princess Cruises. They work for Princess Promotions (aka O.N.E.). As someone in this thread said, 'forewarned is forearmed'. 

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here so I won't, but, if you're reading this and thinking of purchasing one of Princess Promotions packages, you might want to first watch the video on this topic by 'Don's Family Vacations' on YouTube from March 2023. I'm sure these packages are a good deal for someone, but please just have your eyes wide open when you hand over your credit card. 

On 5/25/2024 at 4:18 AM, ontheweb said:

Maybe your Mom could stay some distance away from them, but carry a sign warning others that they should be very wary of anything they say, 😉

If it was me, I would be loudly talking about what happened everywhere that I went on the ship! 😆Actually, I would have started while at the pier, waiting to board!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

On 5/25/2024 at 12:55 PM, cbcruiser said:

Lessons, if it's too good to be true it probably is, Read everything especially small print.  Don't take for granted what salesmen is telling, read contract.  Our fault.  We are in 70's and were cocky.  We have been Princess cruisers since Sitmar days. 

Funnily enough, my parents have also been cruising with Princess since Sitmar days. And those Princess Promotions folks can see that. Someone here said that they target people of a certain age. Maybe that's true? Who knows? I bet they target cruisers with 'Elite' status. If I went on a cruise next week, I could probably hang around the FCD all day and they wouldn't waste their time on me. 😅

I wouldn't say that my parents were cocky, but they were complacent. They were on a cruise, having a good time, eating nibblies at the Elite lounge. Someone asked to see their credit card and they handed it over. 🤷‍♀️

5 hours ago, PastryPal said:

This is, hopefully, my last update on this topic. 

My dad was going to follow-up with Princess Promotions again this morning, but, when he was checking his online banking to make sure he had the amounts correct, he noticed that the "monthly installment" of $250 USD had also been refunded.

I didn't mention it previously, but there was also a mysterious charge last week of $179 in Canadian dollars (I don't know what it was in USD before the conversion). We thought my mom, who is currently floating off the coast of Alaska somewhere, had gone rogue and gone back to the FCD. But the $179 has also now been refunded. No clue what that was charge was for.

I'm going to mention this one last time because my dad said that, if he had known this at the time, it would have made a difference - the Future Cruise Desk staff do not work for Princess Cruises. They work for Princess Promotions (aka O.N.E.). As someone in this thread said, 'forewarned is forearmed'. 

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links here so I won't, but, if you're reading this and thinking of purchasing one of Princess Promotions packages, you might want to first watch the video on this topic by 'Don's Family Vacations' on YouTube from March 2023. I'm sure these packages are a good deal for someone, but please just have your eyes wide open when you hand over your credit card. 

If it was me, I would be loudly talking about what happened everywhere that I went on the ship! 😆Actually, I would have started while at the pier, waiting to board!

Great that your parents have now got back all of their money. 😊 Maybe with all that money saved with your help they could take you on a cruise.  😉

I hope all of us posting in this thread with advice helped you and your parents. I think if you read through some other threads, the problems people post are not always met with sympathetic, helpful responses. But the problem that your parents ran into was one that definitely was one others wanted to help with. And we all thank you for bringing this borderline scam to everyone's attention.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PastryPal said:

Funnily enough, my parents have also been cruising with Princess since Sitmar days. And those Princess Promotions folks can see that. Someone here said that they target people of a certain age. Maybe that's true? Who knows? I bet they target cruisers with 'Elite' status. If I went on a cruise next week, I could probably hang around the FCD all day and they wouldn't waste their time on me. 😅

I wouldn't say that my parents were cocky, but they were complacent. They were on a cruise, having a good time, eating nibblies at the Elite lounge. Someone asked to see their credit card and they handed it over. 🤷‍♀️

Well, we have won part of the battle.  Our $666/Month payment which first alerted us that we weren't getting what we wanted has been credited on appeal to credit card company and with Princess Promotions agreement and no more monthly payments.

When I contacted Princess to get credit for $3000 deposit either refund or credit for future credit, they told me I need to contact Princess Promotions.  We had not disputed this originally because we thought deposit was with Princess.  Tough lesson.  Have filed with credit card company and starting part 2.

To the OPs point, maybe they do go after people with certain age or status, but when we booked onboard during our first Princess cruise a couple of weeks ago, they never even mentioned it to us. I did see it posted on the persons desk of course. With how we travel, we would have said no anyways, but I had caught this thread before the trip, so I was ready for the sales pitch. 

We also by choice sale insides now, so maybe they don't think we could afford the promotion, which works in our favor.