Please Help with Packing Clothes!

I pack the day before, but go through my clothes, try on, make sure they are all clean, etc. and then hang or lay them in a separate area in my closet.  I do the same with other things I take, like otc meds, travel size toiletries, etc. I make a list and cross things off as they are added.

If I pack too far ahead I just end up taking it all outand, rearranging it, double checking or repacking it more than once.  My husband packs the day of, if we have a late flight or the day before if an early flight.

Plus, I don't like leaving my clothes in the suitcase that long.

We pack the night before. But dh does the laundry that morning so that all our clothes are clean when we start packing. And I've been working on the packing list for months.

We don't have enough clothes to pack days before. We'd have nothing to wear in the meantime! 🤣

• Haha 2

Hubby packs 3 days before but has to unpack at least once to get something he packed.  I usually pack the evening before we spend the night in a hotel.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

we leave next Wednesday, I started making piles of clothes 2 weeks ago.  I will be trying on clothes tomorrow. (I'm sure that will be a LOT of fun) 😪  The good news is that because I have a broken foot and am now in a boot for 4 more weeks, I can take twice as many shoes because I only need one of each.  😉

Our evening clothes stick to "Smart Casual" or "Country Club Casual" and then cocktail dress for chic night.  We enjoy getting dressed for dinner.  Other people do not.  Just dress the way that makes you happy and comfortable.  

• Haha 1

Well, time is nearing. I fly to NJ on Saturday morning........cruising to Bermuda on Sunday😃

I am going to pack later this morning.. Tomorrow?  I have 2 separate medical appts.........figured I would get ahead and pack today and just get it done. I also have clothes on the bed in the spare bedroom.

@screwsmcernst hope your foot will be ok!!!! 

• Like 1

I have a funny way of packing.  I always include some clothes that I plan on leaving behind.  Not a lot, just a few shirts that are still in good shape, but I just haven't worn for years.  Great way to thin out the wardrobe, I assume that workers on the ship can use them, or send them home to family members.  I wish the cruise lines would offer a discount program for travelers that donate clothes ( maybe a 100.00 cruise certificate).  The cruise line can then donate the pile to any charity they choose.

41 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I have a funny way of packing.  I always include some clothes that I plan on leaving behind.  Not a lot, just a few shirts that are still in good shape, but I just haven't worn for years.  Great way to thin out the wardrobe, I assume that workers on the ship can use them, or send them home to family members.  I wish the cruise lines would offer a discount program for travelers that donate clothes ( maybe a 100.00 cruise certificate).  The cruise line can then donate the pile to any charity they choose.

I think you are making an incorrect assumption.  It would be insulting to even make that offer, IMO.   If you want to leave your old clothes on board, put them in the trash can.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well, time is nearing. I fly to NJ on Saturday morning........cruising to Bermuda on Sunday😃

I am going to pack later this morning.. Tomorrow?  I have 2 separate medical appts.........figured I would get ahead and pack today and just get it done. I also have clothes on the bed in the spare bedroom.

@screwsmcernst hope your foot will be ok!!!! 

@Lois R thank you so much.  It will be fine.  I did order a waterproof cover for the boot.  So now there is a good chance that it won't rain in Seattle or Alaska. 😂😂

We leave in 6 days, so I spent the morning trying on outfits.  I have been dreading this because I haven't really exercised since before my foot surgery, and I have put on a few pounds.    

But I have everything put in piles and I will do one more clothes edit and then all will be ready for suitcases on Monday.  

Edited by screwsmcernst

I am packed...........just finished up. So tomorrow I won't have to do anything except stick the luggage in the car. I always drive myself to the airport. We have economy lots that are only 8.00 per day😃..pretty cheap if you ask me. I will look over the bags tomorrow but I think I am all good😃

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I think you are making an incorrect assumption.  It would be insulting to even make that offer, IMO.   If you want to leave your old clothes on board, put them in the trash can.  

And there are tons of charities at least in the US that don't even take clothes any longer.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 9tee2Sea said:

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

I wanted to circle back around in case my comment comes as too harsh.  I mean to say I think your intentions, while good, could backfire.  My opinion only of course.   

• Like 1