The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday May 21st, 2024

Today is End of the World or Rapture Party Day, I Need A Patch For That Day, and International Tea Day

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.--Chuck Palahniuk, Diary

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Baked Salmon in Foil
Drink of the Day - Sigani Sour
Wine of the Day - Loveblock Tee Sauvignon Blanc
Destination of the Day - Rabaul, Papua New Guinea

Today in History:
1932 After flying for 17 hours from Newfoundland, Amelia Earhart lands near Londonderry, Northern Ireland, becoming the 1st transatlantic solo flight by a woman

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska, Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00 ,18:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Trondheim, Norway 08:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Piraeus-Athens, Greece 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

Holyhead, Anglesey Island Wales 08:00 - 17:00

Volendam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 05-22

Zuiderdam

Cobh-Cork, Ireland 09:00 - 18:00

0521World.thumb.png.bd02cec08df00b8342b3769fa420272e.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 28

Posted (edited)

Today’s Care List:

Kazu seeing the vascular surgeon today

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

JazzyV’s BFF having surgery for a tib-fib fracture today

Victims of flooding and storms across the country; AZ and Canada fires

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues

Cruising-along’s BFF’s DIL Amber with a stroke, now in rehab

RMLincoln’s DH requiring eye drops & pressure massages daily

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Ottahand7 at her UP MI cabin

Nickelpenny post back surgery, now home, doing well

RMLincoln’s DH with eye drainage incision still open on last evaluation

Luvteaching having made progress with her stuck hip flexor muscle

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for MrSnuggleupagus (Koningsdam May 25 to June 1) Alaska Inside Passage

Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage), and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to June 8 ) 28d Passage to Normandy & Baltic Jewels + Zuiderdam (June 8 to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 26

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.
70 right now with a high of 91 this PM with abundant sunshine.

I’ll celebrate International Tea Day, I usually have a cup after dinner and always with a hearty teaspoon of honey.

The quote is spot on.

The meal works for me.

My knees were acting up yesterday from walking so much on our cruise last week so my swing was a tad slower along with some good tempo and lo and behold I started the round with 3 straight birdies and wound up shooting a smooth 76, go figure. Our team came in first and we beat the second place team by 10 shots.
Off to the dentist this morning to have a permanent crown put in place.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from a raining 52°F North East England.

Thank you Rich for today's daily reports.

3 good days.

Interesting quote.

Nice food.

Lovely wine.

Prayers 🙏 uplifted for all they will help.

I hope everyone has a happy day.

Screenshot_20240521_113030.jpg

Screenshot_20240521_112728.jpg

Screenshot_20240521_112415.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 21

Good morning friends!  It is 59F and partly cloudy in Cobh, Ireland.  It was somewhat foggy/misty early this morning.  There is a chance of afternoon rain.  After immigration we walked around the town a bit and looked in the shops here at the pier in the old train station.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for posting the Fleet Report and Daily today for us all.

Interesting days to celebrate, no comment on the quote, and nice meal, drink and wine today.  Another great day in aviation history and for women in flight.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the reports today.

Prayers for our Care list folks, especially Vanessa’s @JazzyV BFF as he undergoes surgery this morning.  I hope all the rest of you are improving, or get better news on health conditions.  Prayers too for DB, Alex’s baby boys, the people of Ukraine and Israel, the hostages still held, and the men and women in the military in the region.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping.  I’m betting today was a tough one to post being at the hospital.  Let us know how he’s doing as soon as you know. 

The port of the day is Rabaul, Papua New Guinea.  This is a first time appearance for that port of call.  We have been there once and I have some photos to post.  No links however today. 

I definitely have some kind of cold.  Mostly nose blowing and not a lot of extra coughing.  I ate a very light dinner but my sensitive tummy was bothersome.  Feeling better this morning.  I sat at home except for Christmas for 9 months and wasn't sick at all but a week into the cruise I catch a cold! 

Tonight's dress is casual with a splash of orange.  I can handle that!  The Orange Party is at 9:30 pm in the Rolling Stone Lounge.  I doubt if I attend.  I'm nearing the end of a good book and want to finish it.  Hoping you all have a good day!  Praying for good news from Jacqui's @kazu doctor visit today.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

Good morning. Just checking in. I was awake at 2:30 am and out the door about 3:50. No traffic, as you might imagine, as I headed to get BFF and we arrived at the hospital right around 5 am. He’s now in a holding area, where they aren’t letting me back there. So now it’s just waiting. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 21

Rabaul, Papua New Guinea

On Nov. 18, 2017 we stopped at Rabaul on the Papua New Guinea portion of our Australia/New Zealand B2B2B2B Sun Princess cruises.  The smaller island ports were much more interesting to me than the two larger ports of Rabaul and Alotau. 

The view from the ship of the “town”.  Left side, right side, and a zoom to the action outside the port gates.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Our entertainment

Local volcanoes caused havoc in 1994 when they erupted and buried the town, once known as the Pearl of the Pacific.  In the second photo you can see some evidence it is still active.  They are Mt. Vulcan and Mt. Tavurvur.

When we left the port gates we headed left on this main road where everyone in the region seemed to have set up their wares to sell to the gullible tourists.

Photos taken prior to departure from the port

A nice fishing boat

• Like 25
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

We had a thunderstorm last afternoon and evening and that scuttled our plans to BBQ.  So, hubby went and got us a pizza for supper.  He's quite a hunter.😉  Thunderstorms overnight too, Bertie ended up in bed with us.  But the forecast for today is clear skies and sunshine.

Interesting days to observe.  I love tea, I often need a patch but I don't believe in the Rapture.

I don't necessarily agree with the quote.

The meal sounds good, not sure about the drink and I know I'll like the wine.

Prayers for so many.  I hope everyone can find something to celebrate.

Have a great day.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  It is 59F and partly cloudy in Cobh, Ireland.  It was somewhat foggy/misty early this morning.  There is a chance of afternoon rain.  After immigration we walked around the town a bit and looked in the shops here at the pier in the old train station.  Thanks Rich @richwmn for posting the Fleet Report and Daily today for us all.

Interesting days to celebrate, no comment on the quote, and nice meal, drink and wine today.  Another great day in aviation history and for women in flight.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the reports today.

Prayers for our Care list folks, especially Vanessa’s @JazzyV BFF as he undergoes surgery this morning.  I hope all the rest of you are improving, or get better news on health conditions.  Prayers too for DB, Alex’s baby boys, the people of Ukraine and Israel, the hostages still held, and the men and women in the military in the region.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the list keeping.  I’m betting today was a tough one to post being at the hospital.  Let us know how he’s doing as soon as you know. 

The port of the day is Rabaul, Papua New Guinea.  This is a first time appearance for that port of call.  We have been there once and I have some photos to post.  No links however today. 

I definitely have some kind of cold.  Mostly nose blowing and not a lot of extra coughing.  I ate a very light dinner but my sensitive tummy was bothersome.  Feeling better this morning.  I sat at home except for Christmas for 9 months and wasn't sick at all but a week into the cruise I catch a cold! 

Tonight's dress is casual with a splash of orange.  I can handle that!  The Orange Party is at 9:30 pm in the Rolling Stone Lounge.  I doubt if I attend.  I'm nearing the end of a good book and want to finish it.  Hoping you all have a good day!  Praying for good news from Jacqui's @kazu doctor visit today.

I'm sorry to hear you have been unwell Sandi but thankfully you are feeling better and are able to walk around the lovely Cobh.

Just a thought about your cough.

I don't know if you are on any medication but if you are it's worth reading the leaflet in the medication box.

My HBP tablets Perindopril the main side effect is a cough which fortunately didn't happen to me.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Rabaul, Papua New Guinea

On Nov. 18, 2017 we stopped at Rabaul on the Papua New Guinea portion of our Australia/New Zealand B2B2B2B Sun Princess cruises.  The smaller island ports were much more interesting to me than the two larger ports of Rabaul and Alotau. 

The view from the ship of the “town”.  Left side, right side, and a zoom to the action outside the port gates.

Our entertainment

Local volcanoes caused havoc in 1994 when they erupted and buried the town, once known as the Pearl of the Pacific.  In the second photo you can see some evidence it is still active.  They are Mt. Vulcan and Mt. Tavurvur.

When we left the port gates we headed left on this main road where everyone in the region seemed to have set up their wares to sell to the gullible tourists.

Photos taken prior to departure from the port

A nice fishing boat

Interesting photos and descriptions Sandi.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another exquisite morning here. I am in my breakfast nook watching one of this year’s fawns getting breakfast from Mom & then getting cleaned behind the ears. This makes up for Mom eating all my African iris flowers. 

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with all our happenings. Praying everything goes smoothly for BFF and his recovery is quick. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores - it will be a great day to wash the car & definitely some pool time. 

IMG_2896.jpeg.4792d699229756246bbee7097682e54e.jpeg

IMG_4643.jpeg.b42a85f11d871e785932c82a4c56e462.jpeg

IMG_2891.jpeg.5760a2b54ee561e93a54bcdcfdaa0ccc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @ger_77 Gerry, praying that Maurice’s surgery is not postponed and that all goes smoothly tomorrow. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. 

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Loveblock Tee Sauvignon Blanc 2022

This New Zealand SB sounds interesting from a winemaker who helped bring New Zealand wines to the attention of the world. I used the 3022 vintage, since it is available. Widely available, reasonably priced with lots of fans. Online prices start at $20.95.

Winemaker’s notes

Here at Loveblock, we always make wine with lower levels of added sulphur, and TEE explores the elimination of added sulphur to wine (the traditional wine preservative). Oenological tannins are commonly used in the winemaking process to perform various functions. We found that the tannin extracted from green tea leaves (Camelia sinesis) also provides powerful protection against oxidation and spoilage as a natural antioxidant. The palate is elegant, with juicy mandarin, earthy cumin, sweet basil and ripe yellow star fruit (carambola). Layered and textured, the wine is clean and fresh with flavours of ripe pineapple and a mild tannin note sitting over a layer of umami. Organic, vegan friendly and from a single vineyard. Grown with love, made with care.

Pairs with goats’ cheese, oysters, seafood, pasta and chicken

Colour: Pale straw with a hint of green and gold. Aroma: This wine has lifted aromas of mandarin zest, quince, yellow peach, sweet basil, gooseberry, white pepper and distinct wet stone minerality, with structured herbal notes. Palate: The palate is elegant, with juicy mandarin, earthy cumin, sweet basil and ripe yellow star fruit (carambola). Layered and textured, the wine is clean and fresh with flavours of ripe pineapple and a mild tannin note sitting over a layer of umami.

Vineyard Notes 

The grapes for this wine came from a small parcel of vines on our certified-organic Woolshed vineyard on the Loveblock Farm, in the Lower Dashwood sub-region of Marborough’s Awatere Valley. The soil type is predominately aged alluvial loams containing some silt loam over stone. Dependent on vigour, the vines are pruned to two or three canes and trained in a normal vertical shoot position. Harvest occurred in the month of March. No sulphur was added in the vineyard. Use of regenerative growth, manure and horn on the vineyard is employed to promote balanced, fertile soil, biodiversity and healthy grape growth in order to produce wine without the use of chemical pesticides, fungicides or additives of any kind.

Vinification 

Here at Loveblock, we always make wine with lower levels of added sulphur, and TEE explores the elimination of added sulphur to wine (the traditional wine preservative). Oenological tannins are commonly used in the winemaking process to perform various functions. We found that the tannin extracted from green tea leaves (Camelia sinesis) also provides powerful protection against oxidation and spoilage as a natural antioxidant. Every time the juice/wine was exposed to oxygen (i.e. every time it was moved), 5 mg/L of green tea extract (tannin) (Ti Premium® SG produced by Enologica Vason S.p.A.) was added.

Analysis 

Alcohol 12.5% pH 3.25 TA 6.7 g/l

Residual sugar 2.4 g/l

Winemaker: Kim Crawford

Tasted: October 2022

Awards 

GOLD MEDAL – Aotearoa Regional Wine Competition

• Like 23
  • Thanks 16
  • Haha 1

Happy Tuesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet report. 

Foggy this morning. Hot and humid today. Typical summer weather here in PA. 

Finishing up grading of assignments. Working on my presentation coming up in a couple of weeks. Busy, busy. 

Thinking of all on the care list.

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Image result for tuesday cat memes

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Sigani Sour cocktail:

The "Sigani Sour" cocktail is a delightful twist on the classic whiskey sour that brings together the rich flavors of Korean soju with the bright and tangy notes of citrus. Named after Sigani, the Korean word for "time," this cocktail invites you to slow down and savor the moment with each sip. The Sigani Sour combines the smoothness of soju with the zing of fresh lemon juice and a touch of sweetness, creating a perfectly balanced and refreshing libation. Indulge in the Sigani Sour and let its harmonious flavors transport you to a moment of pure enjoyment and relaxation.

Ingredients:

1 oz. lemon juice
3/4 oz. simple syrup
1 egg white
2 oz. soju

Directions:

In a cocktail shaker with ice cubes add soju, fresh lemon juice, simple syrup, and the optional egg white. Shake vigorously for about 20 seconds.
Strain the cocktail mixture into a rocks glass filled with ice and garnish the Sigani Sour cocktail with a lemon wheel.

Screenshot 2024-05-21 at 7.23.14 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 23

Posted (edited)

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here! 

We booked our MSC cruise for January yesterday for the three of us. Another cruise to look forward to! So many people complain on CC about how difficult it is to communicate with MSC. I have never had a problem and probably won't as we use an MSC Concierge which is similar to a HAL PCC. I can liken MSC to an acquired taste for some. It works for us!

DSIL groomed Sam last evening out in the yard for over an hour in the cool grass. He just loves to be touched, petted and combed with all of his fur. That should be the end of blowing his winter coat.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 38
  • Thanks 1

THANK YOU for the FR & D!!!  

Hello and hugs to all Dailyites!!!

I hope I go in the blink of an eye when it's the Day of the Rapture!!!  So, celebrating now, is good!!!  (But predicting a day and time...  NOPE!!!)  

And, Tea Day...  YES!!!  I have hot tea and iced tea all day long!!!  I pray all the tea I drink is humanely planted, cultivated, processed, and shipped!!!

I love Salmon...  I look forward to recipes!!!  Easy recipes, and this one sounds easy!!!

• Like 31

Good morning everyone.  Just about all settled in.  Thanks for the daily and maps Rich.   Thanks for enlightened us about today's days Graham.    A nice quote to aspire to.  Thanks for the photos of today's port Sandi, I hope your cold gets better.   Pass on the salmon and cocktail but today's SB sounds good.   

Prayers for your BFF Vanessa for a smooth surgery.   Thanks for doing our cares and celebrations reports for us.  Prayers for Maurice, Chuck, Tana and Pennie and everyone else who are ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own.  Have a lovely Tuesday.  Nancy 

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good sunny morning. It’s supposed to get up to 85 today and again tomorrow. 
I had a news alert from the BBC and Sky News about a Singapore airline flight from London to Singapore that encountered severe turbulence and had to be diverted to Bangkok. One person was killed and many more were injured. 🙏

Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 20

Good morning, everyone!

We had some thunder bumpers roll through last night, but nothing serious here.  Everything is still wet and damp outside, but the sun is out.  We have another in the mid 80s on tap for mid-Michigan today.  Sue and I are going up to Reed City for River's final soccer game this season.  

Today's meal is a good one.  We had salmon the other day when the MOD was salmon bowls.  We just didn't have it in a bowl.  I put it on a metal sheet with holes in it.  I cover the sheet with aluminum foil and poke holes so the steam and smoke can come through.   I just use a bit of cooking spray on the sheet and put it on the grill and it is so good.  It stays moist, but is crispy on the outside.  Mmmm.  Today's recipe reminds me of that.  And, it is super easy to do.  Baked Salmon in Foil

bakedsalmoninfoil1.thumb.jpg.38b5ccfc2e44623478581b86993b3433.jpg

That looks scrumptious to me!   All I need are some grilled veggies to go with it!  This next recipe is a honey garlic salmon and it sounds just as good as the first one.   Honey Garlic Salmon in Foil

bakedsalmoninfoil2.thumb.jpg.035d036f76ab385d745ba128da3a3098.jpg

This one by Giada De Laurentiis is totally different.  It is made with chopped tomatoes and shallots.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/salmon-baked-in-foil-recipe-1914818

bakedsalmoninfoil4.thumb.jpeg.558f6c593f2b3361b11a7498c88cd764.jpeg

Thinking of those who have medical appointments and procedures today and hoping all goes well, especially @kazu Jacqui and @JazzyV Vanessa's BFF.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 22

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.

It’s 56F and will get up to 83F today I think I’ll have dig out a pair of shorts to wear for the first time this season.  

I’ll celebrate tea and patches but not the other. I think it’s quite arrogant to claim to know what God is about to do.  

The meal sounds delicious and I would definitely give the drink a try.  It might go nicely with the salmon.

Not sure that I agree with the quote but for some it may be true.

I have not been to today’s port so thanks for sharing your photos.

Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and for those who need them.  Happy ________ to those who are celebrating.  There seems to be a lot to celebrate at this time of year.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites! @cat shepard I too have two keypads for my work computer, as one is built into the laptop, but Furnando ripped off the D and the shift key .  When that happened it was impossible to work if notes were needed, so the company sent me another keyboard.  So my desk looks alot like that picture.

Even though my neighbor is home this morning, she wants me to walk the dog, so it's make breakfast, walk dog, go to work for 3 hours, fix lunch, go to the store, and then go back to work.

Two of the kittens are now eating real food, but it's not their first choice.  Eating her food, and their food is Munchkins choice.  Bob, my big orange cat sits at the screen and growls at them all, guess he knows what is coming next.  Soon, in a week, or so, they must be introduced, guess that will happen after next Tuesday which is their next vet appointment.

I love the quote.  I think too many people feel that they will never pass on, but in a way I think they procrastinate living.  

My old boss, Lisa, is so over educated that she is finding it very hard to get a job.  So, ingenious as she is, she and her mother are creating digital art with Bible verses. She is selling on etsy, and asked if I knew people who like digital art to share for you.  I'm not sure if I like the art, but I loved her as a boss, and I miss her. So DH and I will buy something to help them out. https://llgifts101.etsy.com .  If you like digital art, please check her page out.  And yes, her mom is in her late 80's and was working for the company, and doing what I do. So as long as I can keep my mind, I will probably work for another 10 years....

974725269-Minion_2Baging.jpg

Regarding the fish dish

556f07465eb6f09f5bf44f7e00de697c.gif

And now to cook breakfast!  Have a wonderful day every one!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Good morning. Our weather is the same as @Mr. Boston’s report. I would look for shorts too but only if I am solely inside. I will say nothing about one day but will use patches in all meanings of the word. I drink tea at night and have always enjoyed it. The recipes look quite delicious, thanks Debbie @dfish. And thank you Sandi for the port pictures @StLouisCruisers. I hope your cold is a quick one.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, I hope all goes well for BFF. And I hope all is well with you after your recent surgery.

@kazu, Jacqui, I hope the doctor visit is helpful and that the drive was alright.

The city is paving our street finally. The gas line replacement project is finished after several years of digging in the neighborhood. It will be nice to drive down the street without huge potholes.

Our teenager is taking his girlfriend to her prom. She is a year older and goes to one of the Catholic schools. I amazed her by showing a picture taken at their venue in 1970 when my school had their prom at the same place. I had made my dress myself and she could not wrap her head around that! Times change but some things remain the same. 
Have a great day everyone.

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie I’ll celebrate Tea and needing a patch but pass on the Rapture.

I like the quote today

Another great day in Aviation history.

I have not been to Rabaul...

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is Fruit Palette and Oven Roasted Chicken as served on MS Prinsendam May 21, 2015,.:

A sunny morning today.

Roy

• Like 35