Drink packages

23 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I am sure that there are people that do try to take the most advantage they can of the drink package, it's only human nature. But I cannot control what they do so I don't worry about it. 

This.

This thread is bizarre.

I dont go on the ship to ensure I get my "moneys worth"

But if we are having "one of those days" where the booze is flowing and we enjoying ourselves, having the premium drinks package means I dont have to worry about a bill at the end.

And when I am on vacation, worrying about money, or bills, is just not acceptable.

I am there to enjoy myself 100%.

Now if Celebrity have made a saving from us on our cruise of 2 weeks back, well done celebrity. You have some amazing buyers.

I had a great time, tried nearly every cocktail on board, and just let the world pass me by. 

And when back for 2nds and 3rds on quite a few of them.

OK Florence wasnt great because of it, but hey, Florence isnt all that anyway. (Controversial)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I have a spreadsheet. Trust me, I've run every scenario.

I totalled up our first night on cruise and it came 220 dollars approx.

I could do that because I could vaguely remember how much we drunk. And the bartender in the sunset bar reminded me the following day.

By about day I reckon we were in credit, but who's counting?

39 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I get it: you believe that cruise lines offer drinks package to reduce passengers’ spending on drinks.

Thats not what they are saying. They are only talking about themselves. No one else.

I am pretty sure I got more than twice my moneys worth on the premium drinks package on celebrity. But that was just us.

For example. Pre evening meal, last night of cruise. We both had 2 cocktails in the martini bar. Thats 68 dollars there, and it was only 6pm.

Its hardly heavy drinking either.

I darent tell you what followed in the MDR, where the drinks really flowed. We met a lovely couple from Vancouver and we had a blast on the last night. Arrest us.

The answer here is what is a win for both sides. Using HAL's numbers (and some of our personal numbers), if it costs the pax $55 per day for the drink package, and a passenger buys 6 glasses of champagne ($11 each), 2 cokes ($2.95 each) and 2 cans of water (5.95 each), that would cost, rounded up, $84. We saved $29 dollars. 

I don't have exact knowledge of HAL's costs, these are estimates ( based on a little experience and I suspect they are actually lower, particularly the non-alcoholic drinks)..$5 for each champagne, $1 for each coke and water),  the cost to HAL is $34...they make $21 on that passenger. Of course, I am not including the typical included tip. Maybe they only earn 5 to 10 dollars on that passenger,  that day. It adds up.

That's a win-win situation for both, and why HAL wants you to feel you are saving money on a drink package. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

I get it: you believe that cruise lines offer drinks package to reduce passengers’ spending on drinks.

I know that we save money by buying the drink package. That's all I really care about. If someone else overspends by buying it that's their issue.

• Like 1

I'm sure the cruise lines have more advanced "spread sheets" than anyone here. If the drink packages weren't advantageous to them they wouldn't be offered. 

7 minutes ago, K32682 said:

I'm sure the cruise lines have more advanced "spread sheets" than anyone here. If the drink packages weren't advantageous to them they wouldn't be offered. 

Exactly. I've participated in a lot of discussions over the years along the line of "if the cruise lines only did X they'd make more money". I am sure that they have considered all of the angles and if there were a way to make more money, they would do it.

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

It's will known that alcohol sales and excursions are the two most profitable parts of the cruise business. The next step, which many cruise lines seem to now be mastering, is what is the best rate to charge for a drink package to maintain the high profits on alcohol sales.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The answer here is what is a win for both sides.

That's a win-win situation for both, and why HAL wants you to feel you are saving money on a drink package. 

Bingo! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Much depends on the individual cruise line drink package you are considering. Generally, I LOVE them. On my latest Holland America cruise, the Elite drink package included top shelf liquor, soft drinks and the clincher barista-made coffee drinks. We definitely took advantage of cappuccinos before breakfast and after dinner. Not to mention any martini you could imagine.

• Like 1

NCL FAS I will definitely win on. 2 drinks a day is all it takes to cover the gratuities you have to pay. I rarely drink when not on vacation. Maybe 1 or 2 drinks a month. But when I’m on vacation I really enjoy myself. Hung over hiking in Alaska here I come.

RCI is a tougher one where you need to have at least 6 drinks a day but that package covers more options. Usually it wouldn't be worth it for me but with lots of sea days and it being a big family trip I might. I’ll see what kind of sale comes up and how much family drama I should expect and do the math.