Drink packages

Depends on the package rules and your habits. You probably need to ask on the board for the cruise line involved, and also look at the rules and requirements of the package on that cruise line.

• Like 3

Ditto what @CruiserBruce said. There are drink calculators online that allow you to input how many drinks you would drink per day on a particular cruise line, and it will tell you whether or not you would save money. How many sea days you will have and how many port days (and how long you will be ashore) are also considerations. Typically, if you have 6 or 7 mixed drinks every day (this can be averaged out) then you will at least come close to breaking even with most packages. If you only drink beer you would need to drink more to break even. You also need to consider the drinking habits of your travel companion since many cruise lines require both adults in a cabin to purchase a package.

@CruiserBruce has the right suggestion.  But to add, most drink packages are relatively expensive IMO and you typically need to consume about 6-7 drinks per day per person to break even. And remember this will include port of call days when you most likely will be off the ship for the better part of the day. Most cruise lines require that all people over the age of 21 in the stateroom purchase it.  Also keep in mind that most cruise lines wouldn't offer them if it wasn't attractively profitable to them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

there is a WIDE range of price in the 'drink package' across various lines.  On my current preferred line it is $25 per day .... last time I sailed RCCL when it went 'on sale' at a reduced price it was $65 per day . .  .  😬

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

On Princess, and perhaps other lines, they have more comprehensive packages that include drinks, wifi, gratuities, dining options, etc.  Folks claim to "break even" with fewer drinks.   I don't know if that would be better or worse for your situation.  Just tossing it out there.  

They aren't for me. I prefer to drink what I want when I want it and not have to think about whether what I've ordered is in the "package." There are also times when I don't wish to drink but the packages can be an incentive to drink more than you might otherwise. YMMV. 

Along with what's already been said, please define "Worth It" to you.

Out of 100 people, there are probably 100 different answers to Worth It.

• Like 1

Depends on the cruise line package price/rules and what you drink.  Top shelf and at least 4-5 alcoholic bevs a day? Probably worth it.  We buy it each time to never have to even think about it.  If order a $14 drink and it isn't to my liking, I can toss it and start over.  Otherwise I would feel the need to drink it just to not waste the money.  Also, I drink a lot of sparkling water every day.  That plus a coupe of diet sodas and my 4/5 drinks throughout the day, a glass of wine with dinner and maybe a drink at a show...we usually save money.  Even if it is very little.  Hubs is not a big drinker at home but he enjoys some frozen drinks on a cruise and definitely enjoys the fresh squeezed juice at breakfast.  On Royal we buy at a price we can live with, then if it goes down you can cancel and rebook.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, K32682 said:

They aren't for me. I prefer to drink what I want when I want it and not have to think about whether what I've ordered is in the "package."

Understand completely, but just want to point out that with a number of packages, RCCL and Celebrity in particular, there is nothing that would be not "in the package" as their packages are based on types and brands of alcohol, which typically can provide mixes for any type of cocktails, along with wines and beers. They are not based on a selection of included and excluded cocktails.

This of course may vary by other cruise lines.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Mr.TedEBear said:

Is it worth it to purchase the alcohol drink packages?

I can confirm, after 11 nights on celebrity constellation, it I'd definitely worth it, if you drink like we did.

• Haha 2

Only you can figure out if it is 'worth it' to you--it totally depends on your drinking habits and the cost and also what is included in the package.

So far I've never been able to make it work for us, but then we rarely drink alcohol.  It might come fairly close on packages that included wifi, gratuities and some other perks, such as on Princess.  

i always get the drink package.  But before I do, I see what the total is without the package.  I add up ( loosely) the price of about 7 drinks per day + gratuity.    Some cruise lines add in other things like gratuities, dining, wifi.  On NCL, their "FAS" only adds about $50.00 to the price.  Other cruise lines, the package adds over $700 to the price.  I cant drink ( well, I could) drink $700 on a cruise in a 2 week period of time.  SO do the math, then have a drink after getting a headache figuring out all the pricing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2024 at 8:33 AM, Mr.TedEBear said:

Is it worth it to purchase the alcohol drink packages?

If you meet any standard definition of “problem drinker” (usually more than four drinks per day for a man or three for a woman) it can be worth it. From posts here it seems like six or seven is the minimum target. I don’t understand wanting to get a buzz on every day on a cruise, but if it important for you to do so, go ahead.  Of course if a person regularly drinks that amount year round, he probably can handle that amount and stay what he feels is “sober” (disregarding what he is doing to his liver).

34 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you meet any standard definition of “problem drinker” (usually more than four drinks per day for a man or three for a woman) it can be worth it. From posts here it seems like six or seven is the minimum target. I don’t understand wanting to get a buzz on every day on a cruise, but if it important for you to do so, go ahead.  Of course if a person regularly drinks that amount year round, he probably can handle that amount and stay what he feels is “sober” (disregarding what he is doing to his liver).

Plenty of people drink more on a cruise than they normally would at home. My husband, for example, never drinks unless on vacation. I rarely drink unless on vacation. When we do cruise, we can have 5,6 or even 7 drinks a day and not “get a buzz” everyday. We tend to not only eat more but also get more steps in (walking in ports, taking the stairs, etc.) so a “buzz” isn’t happening all day, everyday.

And actually, anything over 2 standard drink per hour, 2 per day or 3 on any given day (no more than 14 total in a week) is a problem that needs to be addressed. Women often need to adjust the guidelines as in most cases, women has less body fluid than men. So if you have a medical condition, take medications, chronic tiredness, etc., you would also need to make adjustments to the guidelines. Anything over 3 standard drinks in a day can raise your tolerance level so no one should be having four drinks per day in “real life.” Quantity and frequency are the biggest issues to be aware of, along with heredity. Biology sets your trigger point, your choice move you closer or further away from that trigger point. Biology, meaning do you have a close family member with A&D issues, sets where you begin. Choices, high risk or low, determine if you hit the trigger point. 

biology+choices=outcome

All that to say, just because someone buys a drink package and takes full advantage of it on a cruise does not mean they have a problem or are staying buzzed or drunk the whole cruise. Comments like these are a pet peeve of mine so I feel like I need to respond. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, MandyMooToo said:

Plenty of people drink more on a cruise than they normally would at home. My husband, for example, never drinks unless on vacation. I rarely drink unless on vacation. When we do cruise, we can have 5,6 or even 7 drinks a day and not “get a buzz” everyday. We tend to not only eat more but also get more steps in (walking in ports, taking the stairs, etc.) so a “buzz” isn’t happening all day, everyday.

And actually, anything over 1 standard drink per hour, 2 per day or 3 on any given day (no more than 14 total in a week) is a problem that needs to be addressed. Women often need to adjust the guidelines as in most cases, women has less body fluid than men. So if you have a medical condition, take medications, chronic tiredness, etc., you would also need to make adjustments to the guidelines. Anything over 3 standard drinks in a day can raise your tolerance level so no one should be having four drinks per day in “real life.” Quantity and frequency are the biggest issues to be aware of, along with heredity. Biology sets your trigger point, your choice move you closer or further away from that trigger point. Biology, meaning do you have a close family member with A&D issues, sets where you begin. Choices, high risk or low, determine if you hit the trigger point. 

biology+choices=outcome

All that to say, just because someone buys a drink package and takes full advantage of it on a cruise does not mean they have a problem or are staying buzzed or drunk the whole cruise. Comments like these are a pet peeve of mine so I feel like I need to respond. 

Word mistake and I couldn’t edit it so I corrected the quote. It should read no more than 1 standard drink per hour, 2 per day when drinking daily and no more than three on any given day. 🤦🏼‍♀️

Edited by MandyMooToo

10 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

And actually, anything over 2 standard drink per hour, 2 per day or 3 on any given day (no more than 14 total in a week) is a problem that needs to be addressed. Women often need to adjust the guidelines as in most cases, women has less body fluid than men. So if you have a medical condition, take medications, chronic tiredness, etc., you would also need to make adjustments to the guidelines. Anything over 3 standard drinks in a day can raise your tolerance level so no one should be having four drinks per day in “real life.” Quantity and frequency are the biggest issues to be aware of, along with heredity. Biology sets your trigger point, your choice move you closer or further away from that trigger point. Biology, meaning do you have a close family member with A&D issues, sets where you begin. Choices, high risk or low, determine if you hit the trigger point. 

biology+choices=outcome

I drank more on the first night than I did in the previous 6 months.

I wasn't well in Florence.

To be fair we got on the ship early. The sun was out and the joy was palpable 

• Haha 1

Just now, DarrenM said:

I drank more on the first night than I did in the previous 6 months.

I wasn't well in Florence.

To be fair we got on the ship early. The sun was out and the joy was palpable 

Still I had to write Florence off.

It was a torturous 90 minute coach drive there. 

I suapect I paid for the drinks package by day 3.

Hi. My names Darren. I am a cruise alcoholic.

And so's my wife.

• Haha 3

And fornl those that don't understand why. I don't actually care. The cocktails were delicious.

I also did 6 no. 5km runs in 11 days.

I can also confirm I am better shape than the vast majority on our cruise.

Many of whom looked like the drank 10 pints  a day And went to the buffet far too often.

14 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

biology+choices=outcome

Thank you! I wasn’t looking for a reprimand for how much I drink! Just wanted to understand how much drinks cost and the value of a drink package. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2024 at 11:56 PM, DarrenM said:

I can confirm, after 11 nights on celebrity constellation, it I'd definitely worth it, if you drink like we did.

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, DarrenM said:

And fornl those that don't understand why. I don't actually care. The cocktails were delicious.

I also did 6 no. 5km runs in 11 days.

I can also confirm I am better shape than the vast majority on our cruise.

Many of whom looked like the drank 10 pints  a day And went to the buffet far too often.

I think you need help.  Who voluntarily runs 5km every other day on a cruise!   

• Haha 4