Tranquility gone in Beyond Solarium

6 minutes ago, asctony said:

People sleeping is all over the ships. Pool deck, atriums, sky lounge, etc. 

Crew member should carry squirt guns to wake up those who are sleeping. 😆 

oh you gave me an idea too.

I think laying down to sleep in rude. One thing to nod head while sitting but to lay down for over an hour and snore is just darn rude.

I am amazed at the hands off attitude of a lot of crew members who are more worried about any ratings they get instead of enforcing rules or keeping the ship experience nice for everyone.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Miaminice said:

As mentioned… common sense! 
Quote Celebrity: The Solarium offers a perfectly serene atmosphere where you can restore both your tan and your sanity.

Definition of serenity: The meaning of SERENITY is a state of utter calm and unruffled repose or quietude.

And you think they keep the kids out so the adults are able to make noise 🤔

Btw: I think it is posted in the Solarium rules.

So just to add another anedotal data point - for whatever it's worth - I was on the Reflection a few weeks back and I remember thinking the Solarium felt quite different from my last cruise several years ago.

Best word to describe the vibe was "lively". No one was behaving obnoxiously or inappropriately necessarily, but there was definitely more of a more traditional "by-the-pool" social vibe vs the hushed spa feel on past sailings.

Louder, more animated conversations, lots more people wandering around, packed pool with many talking, laughing, etc, vs a few folks lying in loungers with closed eyes.

I was sailing off season: very few kids on sailing. There was a "kids allowed" 2 hr timeframe on that ship late each afternoon as well.

Despite what they're writing on their marketing materials, (as the above poster mentions,) I don't get the feeling that Celebrity is necessarily discouraging this change. If they wanted to, they could easily post signs explaining it was a "quiet" or "tranquil" zone for those wanting to rest/recharge and asking people to refrain from loud voices, etc.

My traveling companion (who sailed X before) thought it was a big improvement. I preferred the more tranquil vibe of before, but I don't spend much time by the pool anyway. 🙂 

Edited by Flafun888

44 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

That is my pet peeve! Have witnessed the worst of that on the Silhouette, where four elderly people hogged two tables, one where they were playing cards, another where they set up a game and their towels and one of the women shooed away every one who eyed that table with a cane. She also then yells at one of the guys with her to go and put some more towels on "their" loungers she was reserving in row 1 by the pool. 😆. People were looking all over for a table to sit and eat at, but they were not moving or letting anyone sit for a bit t eat, and then vacate their reserved table after eating. Lot of people got yelled at. Till one brave couple said they will sit to finish their lunch and then leave. Lady calls over a crew member passing by to complain that the couple sat on her reserved table. Crew member explains about no reserving  and gets yelled at too, but he was firm and rearranged their towels, books and game board to let the couple sit. The foursome were grumbling and complaining and threatening about putting it in survey, to which other people witnessing this said they got their video and will put on social media.
This behavior from our respected elderly senior citizens!

how awful. People can be such pigs.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

I think laying down to sleep in rude. One thing to nod head while sitting but to lay down for over an hour and snore is just darn rude.

I am amazed at the hands off attitude of a lot of crew members who are more worried about any ratings they get instead of enforcing rules or keeping the ship experience nice for everyone.

Not sure why you're amazed that crew are afraid to enforce the rules due to receiving poor ratings that cost them money - and possibly their jobs.

This is not the crew's fault - it's poor leadership and compensation structure.

If management REWARDED crews for enforcing rules instead of penalizing them when cranky or self entitled passengers complain on surveys, you'd see a very different scenario. 

Think of it this way: do you or have you ever worked for a boss? Picture yourself working an entry-level job that you need to support your family. Are you going to continuously do something you know your boss won't like and will be angry at you for doing? (i.e. causing complaining passengers.) Bosses don't like complaining pax and many will blame the well-meaning crew member.

I sure wouldn't rock the boat, so to speak.

Edited by Flafun888
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

We were on a Celebrity ship last year. A couple had their bare feet on a table while they were sleeping. An officer walked by. I stopped the officer and said to look at those two people sleeping with their bare feet on the table. The office said 'I can't do anything as I would get in trouble.'

Sooooooooooo.........

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Exactly..I'm not sure why some people expect silence wherever they go...

I talked to my husband in a normal tone of voice in the Persian Garden and was "shushed".  But he does say I bark like a dog.  I blame my father.  😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, asctony said:

We were on a Celebrity ship last year. A couple had their bare feet on a table while they were sleeping. An officer walked by. I stopped the officer and said to look at those two people sleeping with their bare feet on the table. The office said 'I can't do anything as I would get in trouble.'

Sooooooooooo.........

and so it goes on - bad behavior because no one is enforcing the rules.   just a shame but then again society is changing a log.  More and more I think ships are full of self absorbed people who know they can get their way for exactly what you just said.  The mindset is "What are they going to do to me - nothing".   oh well

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MissyDot said:

Ok this why I rarely post on these forums because of the obnoxious troll always finding me 😞  thx to all others giving perspective .   I’m a long time celebrity sailer. The solarium has always been marketed as an adult only relaxation space part of the spa .  For this May cruise there’s been quite a difference FOR ME . Heavy drinking , drunk behaviors, it’s not pleasant Just wanted to ask if others see or feel the same.  Maybe this specific cruise has the big parties IDK

I do think of the solarium as an adult only relaxation space. I do understand having kids hours on sailings like Alaska. I have not seen what you saw. Might it have some to do with your sailing being 6 nights. More of a party cruise.

1 hour ago, bigbenboys said:

I do think of the solarium as an adult only relaxation space. I do understand having kids hours on sailings like Alaska. I have not seen what you saw. Might it have some to do with your sailing being 6 nights. More of a party cruise.

There is always that one exception. Each cruise is different and may be up or down.

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

People without the slightest trace of common sense or respect but with a giant feeling of entitlement - that’s what’s happening to Celebrity 🤷🏻

On our last cruise, there was a couple that always wore homemade buttons that read, "CELEBRITY ELITE MEMBER". I thought it was hilarious ... like they expected people to be in awe of their status. There's a lot of that, 'do you know what level I am?' thinking. 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

and so it goes on - bad behavior because no one is enforcing the rules.   just a shame but then again society is changing a log.  More and more I think ships are full of self absorbed people who know they can get their way for exactly what you just said.  The mindset is "What are they going to do to me - nothing".   oh well

"Kids these days"...Half the time aren't even aware they're breaking the rules, they just do what they want without thinking and the trend will continue in this direction.  I hate to put it like this, it just means I'm getting old... 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

On our last cruise, there was a couple that always wore homemade buttons that read, "CELEBRITY ELITE MEMBER". I thought it was hilarious ... like they expected people to be in awe of their status. There's a lot of that, 'do you know what level I am?' thinking. 🤣

I'm so tempted to create a "Preview" button and wear it around on my next sailing...ha ha

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You can thank the drink packages for most of this. Same problem with flying. People drinking before flights and during. This is wha you get when the desire for profits clouds your good judgement. I have been sailing Celebrity for 25 years and the behavior of passengers flying and sailing has certainly changed. Drink package needs to revisited.

4 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Well you did bow, right?  There is nothing more irritating that cruisers who don’t follow proper protocol.  🙄

• Haha 9

22 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

You can thank the drink packages for most of this. Same problem with flying. People drinking before flights and during. This is wha you get when the desire for profits clouds your good judgement. I have been sailing Celebrity for 25 years and the behavior of passengers flying and sailing has certainly changed. Drink package needs to revisited.

Not everyone has "good judgment" when sober...Yet I do agree with your premise, it's all about odds so odds are, alcohol will make one's judgment worse, even if they already have terrible judgment

On 5/29/2024 at 10:31 PM, MissyDot said:

Hey Sailors I’m currently on the 6 night W Carribean June 26th sailing. Feeling a bit frustrated about the situation with Solarium. It’s now a party drinking loud talking zone.  What’s going on Celebrity?  

Those gay bears can have fun. 

I’m very puzzled by the number of comments saying a six-night cruise (Sunday to Saturday) is likely to be a “party” cruise.  It’s only one night shorter than a standard week-long cruise!

As I mentioned earlier, I’m on this cruise and haven’t felt it’s any different in terms of atmosphere than a usual X cruise.  The solarium, however, is much hotter than we’ve found it to be on other ships.  I’ve heard comments from other passengers that the ship is warm in general, and I agree.

As we all know, the crew is always going to avoid conflict with a passenger, even when someone is violating a rule.  X (and other cruise lines) need to realize they are upsetting a lot more people by not dealing with inappropriate behavior.  Definitely a change in the review and reward process is in order.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

“Kneel, we are Elite Plus!“ 🤣🤣🤣 Looking for our masters, the Zenith…

Ridiculous… 🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

Probably status matched from Royal Caribbean and were distraught when they found out Celebrity didn’t have Elite lapel pins for them to wear.

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, hiccups said:

As we all know, the crew is always going to avoid conflict with a passenger, even when someone is violating a rule.  X (and other cruise lines) need to realize they are upsetting a lot more people by not dealing with inappropriate behavior.  Definitely a change in the review and reward process is in order.

But we don’t “all know”?

51 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Probably status matched from Royal Caribbean and were distraught when they found out Celebrity didn’t have Elite lapel pins for them to wear.

Does that mean if I decide to take a Royal Caribbean cruise, I'll get to wear lapel pins?  Interesting....

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Does that mean if I decide to take a Royal Caribbean cruise, I'll get to wear lapel pins?  Interesting....

Yes, but you’ll have to make them yourself. Or buy them on eBay.

Edited by Mark_K
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

My first thought too

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, d9704011 said:

6 hours ago, Mark_K said:

Yes, but you’ll have to make them yourself. Or buy them on eBay.

yes you could! And no, you don’t have to buy them… we actually received lapel pins when we cruised with Royal many years ago. 
Want some? Ours are still in mint condition. We never wore them 🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

yes you could! And no, you don’t have to buy them… we actually received lapel pins when we cruised with Royal many years ago. 
Want some? Ours are still in mint condition. We never wore them 🤣

We have enough pins, pens, writing paper (still from Mercury), cocktail glasses,   tote bags  and card folders to fill 2  large bins in the attic..

Maybe we'll bring some of these "artifacts" on future cruises..use as door prizes at the get togethers.  

I do like the recipe books and cards

(food and bev),   and treasure all my ART tour books!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1