Silver Cloud Live ... June 9-19 from the Kimberley!

jpalbny

On 6/22/2024 at 2:20 AM, Port Power said:

“Petition” is a well known, top restaurant.  I think we last went there for my son’s 30th birthday.  Did you read all the information in the paving outside? Think courts and petitions.

It was dark, and we were exhausted. So, we didn't read the pavement. I saw some of it the next day but didn't take it all in. 

Perth and the surrounding area were great - will certainly look forward to a return visit some day!

On 6/22/2024 at 10:16 AM, highplanesdrifters said:

What a fun journey!  Can't wait for the next installment Chris has planned .  Hope you take us along.

Will do at some point. We had a great time but we are pretty wiped out. Just got home about 3 hours ago and have to get stuff in order so we can go to work tomorrow. Luckily only 5 months before we can retire. I've had about enough of this work nonsense!

• Like 3

Hi JP, welcome home and I also want to thank you for the wonderful "live from"........

Glad you both had such a good time😀

And I didn't realize you are retiring this year! Congratulations a few months early!!!!😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Great.  Then you will be able to really start traveling! 🤔

38 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

The haul back from OZ is a tough one. And work right around the corner, ouch. We patiently await any travel gems you care to share.😃

What's next during retirement,  JPTravel dot com?

Sure - our retirement plan would be for both of us to work a little, and by a little, I mean just enough to pay for more travel.

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Sure - our retirement plan would be for both of us to work a little, and by a little, I mean just enough to pay for more travel.

That certainly is the way to go JP. I "retired" at  60 but 3 weeks later was on my first locum. It was basically 6 months work, 4 months travel and 2 months to check whether our home was still there.

I originally intended to fully retire in early 2020 but Covid intervened. One of the tasmanian hospitals emailed me to work full time over the pandemic. I agreed to do 3-4 monts woring and a month off before going back again. What else could I do. That time has paid for all the travel in the last 2 years.

I finally retired on the first of March 2022. 53 years of Medicine was enough. But I now miss it. Particularly teaching the young doctors and following their careers. On the other hand I know that I retired at just the right time as my skills had begun their downward spiral and had I continued I wouldn't have felt right.

And thanks for this report with the wonderful pictures and videos. It was a lovely trip down memory lane.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

I’m glad you had such a good experience in the Kimberley.  These long haul flights can certainly be exhausting, but worth it in the end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JP - Every cruise ship has a doctor, and I believe this is a part-time post-retirement gig for many.  [When I cut my foot on lava rock in Hawaii, the ship's doctor on NCL Pride of America was a retired Seattle ER physician – apparently the best training for ship doctors as you're used to seeing everything in the course of a week.  I have no idea how you connect with the booking agency, but I'm sure you'll figure this out if it sounds interesting.]

• Thanks 1

On a different note, this story popped up on my news feed.  When we were there last year I was fascinated by the saltier explosion.   Still happening.

Thought you might find it interesting. Glad they didn't get you! 😃

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-04/saltwater-crocodile-numbers-survey-bigger-kimberley/103406240

• Thanks 1

JP and DrRon, all this retirement talk has me jealous.   As is now, I do take 2 months vacation per year, but it has to be pretty much in 2 week segments to keep the office running/overhead paid. . Can't wait to be able to take off more at one time.  

JP, yet another question.  The packing list they sent me mentioned a waterproof jacket and light jacket/windbreaker.  Do I really need such a thing?  It seemed to me that it was hot your entire trip..  And it is the dry season. 

17 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

JP - Every cruise ship has a doctor, and I believe this is a part-time post-retirement gig for many.  [When I cut my foot on lava rock in Hawaii, the ship's doctor on NCL Pride of America was a retired Seattle ER physician – apparently the best training for ship doctors as you're used to seeing everything in the course of a week.  I have no idea how you connect with the booking agency, but I'm sure you'll figure this out if it sounds interesting.]

Even better, every group jet journey has a physician and they only consider ER doctors as they have such broad experience.  They aren’t even necessarily retired but still working otherwise.

22 minutes ago, RachelG said:

JP, yet another question.  The packing list they sent me mentioned a waterproof jacket and light jacket/windbreaker.  Do I really need such a thing?  It seemed to me that it was hot your entire trip..  And it is the dry season. 

Very unlikely that you will need those articles of clothing in the Kimberley. If you do, you will need your thyroid checked!

But, if you spend any time in Perth, it was chilly there and it does rain during the winter (Port Power can elaborate more, I hope). For our two days it was chilly in the mornings (40s) but warmed to the high 60s during the days. Though we had no rain, we were glad for our jackets during the morning, even though the cold felt wonderful after 10 days of baking in the tropical sun!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

Good information, JP.  We aren't really going to spend any time in Perth, but we will be in Sydney for 2 days,  So I will need to pack a jacket. 

Yes, Sydney in winter is probably wet, so rain jacket and umbrella could be useful.  The temperature is relatively cool, so like everywhere in the world you travel, layers are recommended.  You personally might find short sleeves okay during the afternoon depending where you live, but definitely cooler in the evenings.

• Like 1

JP, thank you for all your work putting this together! I just spent a couple hours reviewing your blog and wonderful photos, from beginning to end. I greatly enjoyed  reviewing the visuals and reading the stories, but know I wouldn't be able to tolerate the hot weather in the Kimberly, much less being active in the heat, so I will not be visiting.  It was nice to be able to vicariously enjoy the area through your posts.  

Great job, and good luck to you both in your early retirement from the Albany VA! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1