The Love Boat (slightly off topic I suppose)

Whilst on Sky recently we watched the first episode of The Love Boat and 2 single women who were strangers to one another where sharing a cabin. Was that a thing that happened to solo travellers in the past? Or just fiction for the show?

4 minutes ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

Whilst on Sky recently we watched the first episode of The Love Boat and 2 single women who were strangers to one another where sharing a cabin. Was that a thing that happened to solo travellers in the past? Or just fiction for the show?

I'd say it was just a script for the show...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

It makes sense that it was, but also I could see an argument for sharing to reduce costs 🤔

Except that there isn't really any "savings". Fares are based on double occupancy...total is twice what the individual fare is.

• Haha 1

Holland America used to have a program like that, so it’s possible that Princess did too back in the day. You’d pay your half of the double occupancy fare, and be matched up with another solo traveller. If there were no other guests booked like that, you’d get the cabin to yourself.

• Like 2

I remember some cruise lines in the 90s had roommate matching services for solo travelers.  If I remember my brochure reading from childhood correctly, your cabin match would be the same gender and if the cruise line couldn't find a match you'd be entitled to sail in a cabin solo without having to pay the single supplement.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Years ago there was a  agency called singles world (out of business now), I think it was in the 1970"s that a friend of mine and I sailed with them.  We shared a cabin with two other girls.  It did  cut the cost down.  we had a great time,. 

They would put you in a  shared cabin with some one.  They also had a host on board.  We all ate together at tables next to each other in the dining room.  We did go on sure together too, if you wanted too. 

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, geocruiser said:

Years ago there was a  agency called singles world, I think it was in the 1970"s that a friend of mine and I sailed with them.  We shared a cabin with two other girls.  It did  cut the cost down.  we had a great time,. 

They would put you in a  shared cabin with some one.  They also had a host on board.  We all ate together at tables next to each other in the dining room.  We did go on sure together too, if you want too. 

Just beat me to my story about Singlesworld.  My first cruise in July of 86 was with them with the original Carnival Jubilee.  They had two groups to choose from 18-35, 35+.  They matched you up with a corresponding same sex partner.  Ate at large 8-10 tables, had our own shore excursion groups.  Let's just say there was more than one hookup in the group, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'd say it was just a script for the show...

No it was quite common back in the day for solos who wanted to save money. Many cruise lines and travel agents had these programs 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, memoak said:

No it was quite common back in the day for solos who wanted to save money. Many cruise lines and travel agents had these programs 

Wow...it just seems like such a huge liability for a cruise line.  (But then...it was a different time back then!)

• Like 2

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

Wow...it just seems like such a huge liability for a cruise line.  (But then...it was a different time back then!)

I believe they signed some very specific contracts. I do know that when I wanted to hook up with someone they had to check it out with their roommate so we could have the cabin for a few hours. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, memoak said:

This was also back in the days when people hitchhiked and other people picked up hitchhikers. Times have changed.

• Like 2

It was, been cruising single since '82, but never did the share thing.  In the 80s, 90s, NCL, RCI had 15 or 20% supplement, slowly going up to 50%.  Princess would have positioning cruises with no supplement once in awhile, that's how I got to Tahiti.  They'd list them in their magazine.

I did travel with the Singleworld group as they had single fares, too where their supplement was less than what the cruise lines were charging.

Paying double bugs me but I like to cruise.  When there were travel magazines, I had several letters published  My theory if a cruise isn't going to be full isn't it better to have one single person on rather than an empty cabin?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, memoak said:

I do know that when I wanted to hook up with someone they had to check it out with their roommate so we could have the cabin for a few hours. 

This sounds a lot like my residence hall life from many years ago. 😊 It also sounds like crew life from not so long ago, but I know less about that.

6 hours ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

In addition to what my fellow posters have said, I should point out that at least one online agency offers roommate matching for their singles cruises RIGHT NOW. 

• Like 1

I used to do it with Holland America Line a lot.  The last time was probably 2003 or 2004.  I did it one time with P&O on the Victoria too.  Other than that it was always low or no single supplement.  Off the top of my head Carnival, P&O UK and Australia, and Princess would match you up with someone. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Except that there isn't really any "savings". Fares are based on double occupancy...total is twice what the individual fare is.

The savings would come from avoiding the single supplement if you went solo in the cabin.

• Like 2

I did a South Pacific cruise on Fairstar (Sitmar Cruises) as a solo traveller in the early 1980's, and shared a 4-berth, inside cabin with 3 other guys who were also travelling solo.  The cruise line matched us up, based on gender and age (I think).  I do remember my cabin mates were a motley crew and our cabin was cramped, but we were all young and only used the cabin for sleeping.  At the time, it was a common and cost-effective option for cruising solo, at least on Fairstar ("The Fun Ship"!).  Ah, those were the days 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Not really. A solo in a cabin pays the fare for two passengers + taxes and fees for one passenger. With two people in a cabin each one is charged the fare for one passenger + taxes and fees for one passenger.  

• Like 1

My very first cruise, about 1972.  I was in a cabin with my Mother and my Father was in a shared cabin with a complete stranger.  They did not have cabins for three.  His roommate was disappointed he had a family onboard.  He wanted to "hang out" but my Father spent all of his time with us.  Even slept in our cabin.  And, my Father would be 100 years old this month.  Thanks for the memories!

• Like 3

After my Dad died in 1995, my Mum went on a few cruises (mostly P&O) alone and shared a cabin (4 berth) with complete strangers (women of course).

She had a fantastic time with her new found friends on each cruise. 

She would say every time the ship rocked, it was my Dad kicking it from above 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, madat said:

I did a South Pacific cruise on Fairstar (Sitmar Cruises) as a solo traveller in the early 1980's, and shared a 4-berth, inside cabin with 3 other guys who were also travelling solo.  The cruise line matched us up, based on gender and age (I think).  I do remember my cabin mates were a motley crew and our cabin was cramped, but we were all young and only used the cabin for sleeping.  At the time, it was a common and cost-effective option for cruising solo, at least on Fairstar ("The Fun Ship"!).  Ah, those were the days 🙂

I did a cruise on a Barefoot Windjammer back in the mid 1980s and was in a 4 man cabin down in the bowels of the ship.  There were two sets of bunk beds and it was cramped, hot, and uncomfortable. I hit my head boarding the ship and probably had a mild concussion and felt miserable the entire short cruise.  Ugh, I hated it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

Don’t know about Princess, but prior to 2006 we sailed many times on Holland America and they put together solo travelers if they wanted a roommate.  I remember because a woman complained they kept putting her with a woman she disliked.

• Haha 1