LAX to San Pedro

14 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I know this has been discussed somewhere, but I've searched and can't find the info. What is the best way to get from LAX to San Pedro port. We don't want to do a bus. Is the best way a taxi, and has anyone done that. 

Thanks...

We have always used a taxi.  Around 45 min depending on traffic of course.  Can take considerably longer.  Uber/Lyft also available.  Would never try to take a bus in LA.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

We have always used a taxi.  Around 45 min depending on traffic of course.  Can take considerably longer.  Uber/Lyft also available.  Would never try to take a bus in LA.

Thanks...I thought that was the only option we would want. They say there is a shuttle but we don't want a trip around LA dropping people off here and there. We are thinking also of hopping on a ferry and checking out Catalina. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

I know this has been discussed somewhere, but I've searched and can't find the info. What is the best way to get from LAX to San Pedro port. We don't want to do a bus. Is the best way a taxi, and has anyone done that. 

Thanks...

Problem with a taxi at LAX is that they can no longer pick you up. Curbside.  You have to walk or take a shuttle to the LAXit parking lot just outside the airport and then get in line for a taxi or wait for your Uber.   I just hate this.  Last time, and we will do this again next April, we used Blacklane limo service.  Limos can pick you up on the second level.  We had absolutely perfect service, and as Jim said, about 45 minutes unless it’s rush hour,  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Problem with a taxi at LAX is that they can no longer pick you up. Curbside.  You have to walk or take a shuttle to the LAXit parking lot just outside the airport and then get in line for a taxi or wait for your Uber.   I just hate this.  Last time, and we will do this again next April, we used Blacklane limo service.  Limos can pick you up on the second level.  We had absolutely perfect service, and as Jim said, about 45 minutes unless it’s rush hour,  

Thanks for that info!!

Given the new LAX passenger discomfort we will also use Blacklane.  They always provide excellent service for not really that much more.  Hey. when you are spending thousands on a cruise what's wrong with a couple of hundred to start your trip in style??🍸

• Like 1

Blacklane quoted us a set price, and when we figured out what a taxi would cost on the meter without traffic it was just $60 more.  With traffic, it might have been the same.  They have two guys to do the service.  One meets you with a sign at the luggage carousel and then takes you upstairs to the second level where the limo is waiting.  It was just perfectly coordinated.  We are originally from LA, and we always took a taxi to and from the airport from home.  I just can’t imagine having to go through all the rigamarol now. 

• Like 2

We came in night before and stayed at Embassy Suites near airport (used points).  That night pre-booked Lyft for 9am next morning for $140.  In the morning re-checked pricing and was able to cancel and re-book for $43+tip. Trip took about 30 minutes.  Returning from cruise went on Lyft app after clearing CBP and found driver who was lurking right outside.  Trip to LAX took almost an hour and was $60+ tip.  VO airport shuttle departed 15 minutes ahead of us but we passed it on the highway.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Thanks...

We've used a shuttle several times.  Can't remember the name but they were reasonable and set price.  Used both directions.  It's  fairly long ride so taxis might get pricey.  Assuming you're ruling out Viking transfer?  That would be our first choice.  

Edited by Ready to Sail!

2 hours ago, Sunflower & The Scientist said:

Thanks...I thought that was the only option we would want. They say there is a shuttle but we don't want a trip around LA dropping people off here and there. We are thinking also of hopping on a ferry and checking out Catalina. 

We've always gotten shuttle direct between the two points.  Also, in case you don't know the Catalina Ferry does dock very close to the cruise dock but depending on time of year best to check their schedule and availability  ahead of time.  

3 minutes ago, Ready to Sail! said:

We've always gotten shuttle direct between the two points.  Also, in case you don't know the Catalina Ferry does dock very close to the cruise dock but depending on time of year best to check their schedule and availability  ahead of time.  

Also, not something that is that easy for one day with the schedule what it is.  Best to filter in a extra day or two with maybe an overnight on the island and or hotel near the cruise port at least on one end.  Takes pre planning to go over to Catalina combined with cruise schedule.  I would suggest going post cruise.  Probably easier to schedule and don't have to worry about getting back for your cruise sail away!  Wish more cruises stopped at Catalina but not too many do.  

• Like 1

We tried the limo desk, but they were a couple of hours wait, so we booked an Uber Black. Picked us up curbside at arrivals within 10 mins. For regular Uber & taxis you must get the shuttle bus to the LAXIT area.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

We tried the limo desk, but they were a couple of hours wait, so we booked an Uber Black. Picked us up curbside at arrivals within 10 mins. For regular Uber & taxis you must get the shuttle bus to the LAXIT area.

What was the cost of Uber Black?  We are going a day early again this time, but wasn't able to avoid the deviation fee.  When we flew into FLL for the last WC, we arrived 36 hours later than scheduled, so just as well we planned to fly 2 days ahead.  Hoping that 1 day early will get us to the ship prior to cast off...next stop Hawaii!

6 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Blacklane quoted us a set price, and when we figured out what a taxi would cost on the meter without traffic it was just $60 more.  With traffic, it might have been the same.  They have two guys to do the service.  One meets you with a sign at the luggage carousel and then takes you upstairs to the second level where the limo is waiting.  It was just perfectly coordinated.  We are originally from LA, and we always took a taxi to and from the airport from home.  I just can’t imagine having to go through all the rigamarol now. 

I assume the guy that meets you will help you with luggage - correct?

Well, we ship our big suitcases by Luggage Forward, so we don’t have anything but hand luggage, but they were very helpful with that.  I’m sure they would take care of everything.  They were so accommodating.  But next time I will tell them just to meet me on the second floor, since we have no need to go down to the baggage claim.  

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Yes, I had heard that Uber Black, like a limo, could pick up from the second level, the departure level.  I have no idea the difference in price between Uber Black and the limo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Islandbc said:

What was the cost of Uber Black?  We are going a day early again this time, but wasn't able to avoid the deviation fee.  When we flew into FLL for the last WC, we arrived 36 hours later than scheduled, so just as well we planned to fly 2 days ahead.  Hoping that 1 day early will get us to the ship prior to cast off...next stop Hawaii!

The Uber Black was about US $110 from LAX to the San Pedro Hotel, a couple of days before we boarded the Viking Sun.

Didn't get a quote from the limo, since they mentioned 2 hr wait.

For those able to drive to the port in San Pedro (we live just up the California coast so no air needed) . . .

Have any of you parked your car there?  Is there a facility?  I seem to remember that some friends parked at the cruise terminal, but can't remember about price and availability.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

For those able to drive to the port in San Pedro (we live just up the California coast so no air needed) . . .

Have any of you parked your car there?  Is there a facility?  I seem to remember that some friends parked at the cruise terminal, but can't remember about price and availability.

Thanks!

Kent, 

You might want to ask this in West Coast Departures forum. 

There appears to be several lots at the cruise terminal so the best one will depend on where Viking embarks from.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Thanks!

We live in San Diego and used the terminal parking for 2 Celebrity cruises in 2023 and 1 Princess cruise in February of this year. 

The cost was $20 a day and convenient to both terminals at the port.

However, a caution. When departing the lot in February we did see a few cars with smashed windows being assisted by police. Unsure if this was a “one off” since we hadn’t seen this in our prior two visits, or if it was the start of a new trend. Hopefully the port has, or is, addressing the security.

We have always gone on a day early and the easiest and cheapest for us was to rent a car at LAX and drop it off in San Pedro. This let us do some sightseeing the day before boarding and then the morning of the cruise, we dropped off the luggage at the ship before returning the car.  We then had a nice stroll to the pier-Uber was our backup if it had of been raining. 

IMG_9643.jpeg

IMG_9650.jpeg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The Uber Black was about US $110 from LAX to the San Pedro Hotel, a couple of days before we boarded the Viking Sun.

Didn't get a quote from the limo, since they mentioned 2 hr wait.

The Limo was $160. We booked 3-4 days ahead.  Uber Black might be a better option.  Will look into that before our next cruise in April. 

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 4:28 PM, FlyerTalker said:

SuperShuttle has direct service available from LAX to the San Pedro cruise terminal.

Now known as Super Shuttle Express and operating for a few months.  The business we knew as Super Shuttle folded and closed 4 years ago.  I cannot vouch for this young company.