Breakfast in Chops - Diamond Plus

17 hours ago, RFerrington said:

Yes, and I also remember the special section of the MDR where D and D+ could have an "exclusive" breakfast....which wasn't particularly exclusive, but they did give you fresh squeezed juice for nuttin' !

Ahh...the good old days of elegant cruising.   Sigh.  IMHO...all gone now on RCI.  😞 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Ahh...the good old days of elegant cruising.   Sigh.  IMHO...all gone now on RCI.  😞 

Also gone is $2000+ ($5500 today) for a porthole cabin.

Song of America - Sept. 1987

• Haha 3

Just now, Another_Critic said:

Also gone is $2000+ ($5500 today) for a porthole cabin.

Song of America - Sept. 1987

LOL...and I complained when I was a young adult that gas prices jumped from 23 cents to 25 cents a gallon.  😄   Can't imagine what the Oasis, Icon...etc. mega theme park ships have for a fuel appetite.  EEEeeeK!   😱

On 6/9/2024 at 8:07 PM, nelblu said:

As a D+ with 340+ points never been invited.  However, I do attend Cheers with Officers luncheon. 

Yes and every ship seems to have a different menu, and when we went on Wonder it was the best ever! And it was delicious

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Stu UK said:

Had this email today. Seems an error re breakfast or has something changed? 

I'd print multiple copies, laminate them and put a few away in a vault. Show them to the host onboard, worst they'll say is no and a few are bound to let you in eventually. 🤣 

I really miss Chops breakfast. 

• Like 1

What’s the typical breakfast in Chops?  How would that be better than MDR? Is it just better atmosphere or is the choices better? 

I don’t eat much for breakfast and never eat in WJ because I don’t eat the choices they serve there (I don’t eat eggs, bacon, sausage, etc). I  usually eat the small bites in the Crown Lounge, so I was curious about what’s served in Chops.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

It's been the same thing forever

The menu may be the same, but the level of quality, quantity, and proper preparation of the ingredients is long gone.

I am one who remembers a breakfast seating area in Chops for D and above.  Yes carry the food from the Windjammer.  But the staff would serve you coffee from the urns once there.  The only advantage was the ability to get a table if the WJ was crowded.

Now on older ships (without CK) there is a sit down breakfast in Chops for suites (and Pins I think).  Also not sure about JS if they are included.  We will be on INDY in a GS and will check this out.

On 6/12/2024 at 11:12 AM, island lady said:

Also gone is the happy hour of cheap wine and pretzels a peanuts as snacks. 
Beer requests on a pay basis. 😄

On 6/12/2024 at 3:28 PM, lovesthebeach2 said:

Yes and every ship seems to have a different menu, and when we went on Wonder it was the best ever! And it was delicious

Harmony was my best ever. We got those round steaks, forget what they are called. Sooo good. And the garlicky bread from 150.

Worst ever was allure. Steaks were fillets like shoe leather I couldnt cut with a knife. Dont know what they called that cut but was so bad I skipped the next week. Couldnt eat a single but so much gristle. Every bite was gristle. 

Harmony wins. 

Will be on adventure in a week. Boarding friday. We will see. 

25 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I am one who remembers a breakfast seating area in Chops for D and above.  Yes carry the food from the Windjammer.  But the staff would serve you coffee from the urns once there.  The only advantage was the ability to get a table if the WJ was crowded.

Now on older ships (without CK) there is a sit down breakfast in Chops for suites (and Pins I think).  Also not sure about JS if they are included.  We will be on INDY in a GS and will check this out.

I remember a special eating area off the Mdr. People say I'm wrong but I'm sure this happened. We could order espresso or another one there. But it was off the Mdr. Not chops. 

5 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

What’s the typical breakfast in Chops?  How would that be better than MDR? Is it just better atmosphere or is the choices better? 

I don’t eat much for breakfast and never eat in WJ because I don’t eat the choices they serve there (I don’t eat eggs, bacon, sausage, etc). I  usually eat the small bites in the Crown Lounge, so I was curious about what’s served in Chops.

Nothing special in Chops for breakfast.  Just a nicer, calmer ambiance.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I remember a special eating area off the Mdr. People say I'm wrong but I'm sure this happened. We could order espresso or another one there. But it was off the Mdr. Not chops. 

Yes.  They used to have a room off the MDR for D breakfast.  They served fresh squeezed juice and specialty coffee.  Same menu as the rest of the MDR but just a little more sedate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

I haven't noticed this.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Ditto!

We will be boarding our fourth B3B on Adventure at the end of the month, and since we always sail in full suites we have the opportunity to take breakfast in Giovanni's every morning (that would be ~66 days so far this year). 3 out of 4 times my eggs benedict are delivered either cold or hard boiled, and the English muffins are either uncooked or burned. We might get one slice of smoked salmon each or four depending on the mood of the chef, and sometimes it is served properly on a separate dish and sometimes it is piled on the hot plate along with the over/undercooked eggs. DW generally orders her eggs over easy or sunny side up. and rarely are they delivered with any life left in the yolk. Yogurt can be delivered in a martini glass with berries one morning, in a single serve plastic cup the next, and in a soup bowl another time. Sausages and hash browns come straight from the WJ (always cold), and they no longer come around with a muffin/sweet roll basket.

Other than that, the OJ is good.

We have resigned ourselves to only having breakfast there on early port days, turn around days, and debarkation day because we can get better breakfasts in the WJ,

So based on the comments, I’ll stick to my Crown Lounge breakfast of smoked salmon, a few bites of cheese for my bones and cut up fruit.  Occasionally I mix it up and have one of the oatmeal things in the glasses instead.  And it’s very quiet and mostly empty other than the occasional sound of the coffee machine. But I must add that if we cruise on an oasis class ship, which we rarely do, I would grab my food and leave that dungeon. 

• Like 2