The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday June 10th, 2024

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We did this walk on our own.  Back then the ships handed out port maps with information on there that helped you to decide what you would be interested in. You could plan your route hitting the highlights quite easily provided distances weren’t too far apart. Now you have to plan ahead of time and print off a map or hope they hand some out on shore. It’s one of my gripes we no longer get the port guides and I intend to keep complaining about it in my surveys!

Thank you.  That sounds like a great way to visit Malta.  The only thing I would do different is I would stop at the cafe and have some rabbit.  That sure would bring back some great memories of growing up when my Dad would hunt and bring home some rabbits.  My Mom would fry them just like chicken oh so good.  

• Like 25

Posted (edited)

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!  We had rain at 2 am this morning, too bad it didn't last. Yesterday was way too hot to not have the air on!  It got up to 91 yesterday.

The washer and dryer arrived on Saturday as promised,  but the hose was not long enough on the washing machine, nor on the the dryer-not the delivery and installers job to fix that, and then they took off without taking the old washer dryer away, so our carport is rather full of old equipment.  It is supposed to be resolved tomorrow.

Today is DH's immunotherapy day, and meet with the doctor day.  So I scheduled the day off from work.  Tomorrow I meet with my dietician, and Friday I meet up and have some test done on my leg veins.  Next week we take the 4 monsters for their vaccinations, and then, they can meet the fur babies inside.  We did close the doors yesterday shutting out the big cats and let them in for a couple of hours.  This time they all came in and ran around until they couldn't run around any more, and I learned that food is a good bribe to get them back out on the porch.

@smitty34877I'm glad that the teenagers had a good time at the parade, were home by dinner time, and shared their day with you.  Sounds like you have another great kid in the family!

The 8 week campaign ends this week, and I will be glad to be working during day time hours, and not every evening. And I guess I will be back to Lincoln Center soon.  But for the time being, I am ok with working just one job.

dae7ab6b95604b02e96aba283d5560a9.jpg

ae848644b8a6d2b39927f7ff1cb928d3.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and  Dixie.   Three great days to celebrate  Happy Birthday @Denise T

The quote is typical Groucho.

I visited Valletta just once, way back in 2010 on the Crystal Serenity ..

Two great days in US history.  I used an Apple 2e for a number of years...

I’ll pass on the meal.  My alternative is  Papaya with Rainbow of Fruit, Cheese Ravioli, and Strawberry Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam on June 10, 2015.  Not sure Debbie would choose this either.

My second Monday is typically busy and today is no exception with a church zoom meeting at 4 and fire department at 6..

Special hugs to Jacqui.  May things turn around for Terri and Jim, great news that their TV and phone are back.  You’re all overdue for a positive change.  Paul was on line last night for our “Sundays at Seven fellowship time but still in a hospital gown and from his bedroom A long way to go to full recovery..

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 5

The desks in my sixth-grade classroom had inkwells for dip pens, and the desks weren't even that old, but we used only ball-points.

The menu suggestion might be OK, but I would be wary of the "creamy" part. The drink would be sweeter than I like. For the wine, Glenora's Brut-2014, $30.99. "Elegant yeast and delicate fruit flavors delightfully intermingle in the 2014 Brut sparkling wine from Glenora Wine Cellars. The grapes were all grown around Seneca Lake and the wine offers delicate strawberry and elegant apple flavors. This sparkling wine was filled into tirage for the secondary fermentation during the summer of 2015, producing a profusion of tiny bubbles that explode to the surface upon opening the bottle.  The moderate dosage adds luscious creaminess and a lingering finish."

Screenshot2024-06-10at09-03-20GlasbergenCartoonsbyRandyGlasbergenforJune042024GoComics_com.png.1c55bef50a160a8cffce82ed85623d87.png

• Like 21
  • Haha 9

We arrived home and immediately went to bed. We so far have restarted TV and Wi Fi service, restart waste pickup. Ordered prescriptions and that’s all so far. Headed for groceries. House looked great.

Got to go. Bruce

• Like 29
  • Thanks 7

12 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

We arrived home and immediately went to bed. We so far have restarted TV and Wi Fi service, restart waste pickup. Ordered prescriptions and that’s all so far. Headed for groceries. House looked great.

Got to go. Bruce

Welcome home.

Roy

• Like 23

14 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Got to go. Bruce

Welcome back and thanks for taking us along with you. What an amazing trip.

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I love ball point pens - varying between medium and fine points.  I don't know that I can be a miracle in someone's life, but I do like to help in small ways.  If it was warmer, today would be a good day for iced tea, but it'll have to wait.

Our sun made a brief appearance yesterday and today it's gone again, replaced by clouds and wind.  Everyone is tiring of the wind, especially that it brings pollen from all the trees onto every surface - I'm tired of dusting and washing everything on the deck, sometimes multiple times a day.  I shouldn't complain about the rain though,as it's good for the farmers and we all depend on them.

We were docked in Valetta, Malta on our first Mediterranean cruise; we took the shore excursion to the beautiful fishing village of Marsaxlokk.

MarsaxlokkFishingVillage.jpg.802d9131d6e2a3f6f40e4ec48c931259.jpg

@marshhawksorry your washer and dryer didn't get installed as hoped; you'd think the installers would have had extra supplies in their vehicles just in case.  I've seen ads on TV recently for the newest washer/dryer combination and they're touting you can do a full load in 2 hours.  Nope.  Don't like them - we used them when we were in Japan and they take too long.  Using our old w&d I can do 2 loads in that time, both washing and drying.  I guess they're good if you don't have a lot of space, but I wouldn't be specifically ordering one as a replacement for my current set.

@Denise THappy Birthday, although I'm not sure it's today!

@aliaschiefwelcome home - glad everything was alright on your return.  Although you had a wonderful time, I'll bet it felt good to sleep in your own bed again.  

I have to share this - yesterday was our lovely DIL's birthday and she was treated like a queen by the men in her house.  Our oldest DGS made her scrambled eggs & toast for breakfast, they went out for a lovely lunch, and later in the afternoon, our youngest DGS called his mom outside to see that "I made you spaghetti!"

Parker.thumb.JPG.f06fc885852c6c711daa267b1bb0ee6f.JPG

Today DH is having a telephone assessment for the cardiac rehab program - it's an exercise program where he'll be monitored for a few weeks, and after that we can continue on our own.  He's been through it before when he had his first heart attacks, and after his sextuple bypass, so he knows what will be going on.  It'll be good to get out and do some serious walking again, for both of us.  

I'd like to try the drink of the day (not sure if the bourbon would overpower it), would definitely like the wine, but $$$$$! I like the menu suggestion today, but would definitely add in some cooked chicken breasts to make it a meal in a bowl. I found a container of beef stew in the freezer that will be heated and served with some crusty buns for us at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, shippmates said:

Thank you.  That sounds like a great way to visit Malta.  The only thing I would do different is I would stop at the cafe and have some rabbit.  That sure would bring back some great memories of growing up when my Dad would hunt and bring home some rabbits.  My Mom would fry them just like chicken oh so good.  

I know exactly what you mean, because my Dad used to hunt rabbits at my grandpa's farm.  We had to help hold the legs while he skinned them.  Grandma would fry them up like chicken too I guess but I never was brave enough to try it.😲

1 hour ago, puppycanducruise said:

@StLouisCruisers  I think it was a wise decision to meet with "the Relatives".   You don't need to be best friends, but everyone should at least be civil to each other.  It sounds like you made a good first step.

Thank you Melanie.  I know I feel better not being on edge about it.

2 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning everyone and thanks for the Daily and the maps Rich!  I always appreciate a good ball point pen, it is amazing how different the simple things can be from each other.  Let's all strive to be a miracle in someone's life.   A good quote from Groucho, I watch TV but I am always reading or playing Scrabble all the while.   Thank you for the gorgeous photos of Malta Sandi, that beautiful is on my bucket list to visit some time in the future.   I will pass on the Orzo and the Georgia Tea but I will take a case of Krug please at $250 + per bottle probably.   😅

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Terrie and Jim and Jacqui.  Prayers for everyone else who are ailing or grieving.    Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

Finally a beautiful day here.  It was forecasted to be sunny here yesterday so I did the bedding and just as I got half of it hung it began to rain.  It got almost dry by the end of the very windy and chilly day yesterday.  It was 40 degrees when I woke this morning, you folks out west can share a little of your heat dome, please......    @StLouisCruisers great to be proactive to meet up with your relatives at the beginning of their voyage and I hope there may be some reconciliation coming.   Everyone have a wonderful Monday!  Nancy

Thanks Nancy, you never know.

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another glorious morning. Yesterday’s winds made yesterday’s heat quite comfortable. Hoping for the same today. The weather gurus are saying we might get between 2 & 3 inches by the end of this week. @summer slope Dixie, hope the predictions don’t come true for you. Some models show as much as 9 inches! Be safe. 

Vanessa, thank you for sleeping!😜 And keeping up with all of us! We are a busy group.

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, pool time. A bit of early morning gardening. That will keep me busy. 

IMG_2984.jpeg.314b2b1703a9f17ffb54e59c0ac61397.jpeg

IMG_2985.jpeg.8fcbd04010e87cb00836c2919e7b33d0.jpeg

IMG_2971.jpeg.70d0fd3f8d333bd0c79f40d1e313343e.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating!
@Denise T

Happy Birthday! I hope I have the date correct!

IMG_3005.jpeg.6428bec371ea4d9ecc76c7856257fb53.jpeg

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Krug Grande Cuvee 171st Edition #122003 MV (750ML)

Some days the info about the wine du jour overflows - this is one of those days. This champagne has lots of fans, is easy to find and is VERY pricey (for me). I would love a sip, though. Online prices start at $249.97.

Distributor’s notes

99 JS / 97 WE / 96 WS / 96 VP / 95 VM / 95 DE / 94+ WI / 94 WA / 94 JD
#48 James Suckling's Top 100 Wines of France 2023
#64 James Suckling's Top 100 Wines of 2023
Vinepair Best Champagnes of 2023

The tightness and tension of this is impressive considering the youngest wine from this is 2015 (hot and dry year), with some wines going back to 2000. Ginger and orange zest. Some creme brulee. It's medium-bodied with apple, pie crust and floral character. It's salty and zesty yet, at the same time, complex and gorgeous. Chamomile and other floral teas highlight everything. Turns rich and flavorful at the finish. Terrific release. Really takes off at the end. Drink or hold.--James Suckling

Deliciously balanced, this Champagne is impressive. The iconic wine is in its 171st blend, meaning it combines vintages for the best result for each bottling, not a specific vintage. The 171st essence is dry, while also having fine textured fruit. This is a magnificent wine and worth aging for another year. - Roger Voss, Wine Enthusiast

TA vivid Champagne, with chiseled acidity and a fine, vivacious mousse creating a buoyant frame for layered flavors of crushed black raspberry, grilled nuts, pink grapefruit sorbet and coffee liqueur, plus fragrant accents of ground ginger and anise, graphite and lime blossoms. Long and expressive on the finish, crackling with a lingering fleur de sel note. Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Meunier. Disgorged winter 2021. Drink now through 2033.-Alison Napjus, Wine Spectator

Every year they make the best wine they can based on the harvest. And every year a different proportion of their reserve wine joins the cuvée as it harmonizes with that year’s vinification. They call these editions. This bottle is the 171st edition — and it's spectacular. It's a wine with personality far beyond what's typical in the region. It is rich and complex with layers of textures and aromas. The full, bready nose is contrasted with hints of red berries and tart white cherries. The mouthfeel has elegance, finesse, and depth. The easy perlage takes a back seat to the creamy texture and rounded fruit notes. - Vinepair

The NV Grande Cuvée 171ème Édition, (2015 base vintage) is bright and focused in the glass, showing notable tension and tons of class. Citrus peel, white flowers, mint and white pepper all lend remarkable brightness to a Grande Cuvée that is built more on linear cut rather than volume. Krug is always among the first houses to pick. The 171 clearly shows that style. The blend is 45% Pinot Noir, 37% Chardonnay and 18% Meunier, vintages 2015 through 2000. Disgorged: Winter 2021-2022. Krug ID: 122003 - Antonio Galloni, Vinous Media

Krug’s Grand Cuvee 171ème Edition is a 45% Pinot Noir, 37% Chardonnay and 18% Pinot Meunier barrel fermented assemblage of 131 wines from 12 years. The youngest and predominant base wine was from 2015, and the oldest reserve wines from 2000. This 171eme Edition reveals an aromatically complex nose of warm citrus, poached Anjou pear, dried apricots, lemon balm and toast. Medium to full-bodied, the palate balances a beautifully energetic acid frame alongside rich flavors of Meyer lemon, apple crumble and honeycomb with a kiss of vanilla before finishing long, generous and refreshing. According to the Krug iD122014 the bottle tasted was disgorged in the spring of 2020 and released a year later in 2021. - Sarah Mayo, Wine Independent

he NV Grande Cuvée 171ème Edition is a delightful blend of 45% Pinot Noir, 37% Chardonnay and 18% Pinot Meunier and boasts an attractive and captivating aroma of dried fruits, pastry, lemon oil, marzipan, spring flowers and ginger, with hints of almond and vanilla notes that become more pronounced over time. This medium to full-bodied wine is precise and well-structured, with a fleshy core of fruit and a sapid, incisive finish. Crafted around the 2015 vintage, the blend comprises 131 reserve wines from as far back as 2000 (42% of the total blend) and is expected to age beautifully over the next decade.-Yohan Castaing, Wine Advocate

Two years on from its disgorgement, this 2015-based edition has settled beautifully, showing all the sunniness of the base year with its mandarin and apricot plushness, surprisingly smooth and silky up front before settling into its broad, inviting range of praline, cappuccino and bitter almond aromatics and subtle fruit skin chewiness. It's a punchy, fulsome edition thanks to the base year's intensity, but it has been beautifully tamed into a characteristically suave and multilayered Grande Cuvée. A blend of 131 wines, with reserves back to the year 2000. - Tom Hewson, Decanter

Spanning from 1998 through the 2015 vintage, the NV Champagne Grande Cuvée 171 is lush with a kaleidoscope of aromas including orange marmalade, toasted brioche, almond, and ripe peaches. Full-bodied and rounded, it has a hint of warmth on the finish, but it’s highly attractive, balanced, and long, with outstanding depth and richness. This fantastic expression of the Grand Cuvée is gorgeous right out of the gate and will be a great addition for collectors to enjoy over the coming two decades. Drink 2023-2043. - Jeb Dunnuck

Very lively, crisp nose. Tense and surprisingly vibrant for such a hot growing season – positively explosive in terms of its impact on the nose and palate. Lots of acidity and impressively long. A very good Krug, Grande Cuvée. - Jancis Robinson

Okay, Ann you talked me into a glass.  Who's buying though?🥂

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

True to form, I was awake half the night.  I don't know why, but Sunday nights are miserable.  I can't get to sleep and end up tossing and turning all night long.  I think it is a holdover from when I was working and dreading going back on Monday mornings.  It was well after 2 when I finally got to sleep.  That is going to make today a long day.  I won't nap because that will make it hard to sleep tonight.  Nothing is on the agenda other than the gym this morning, so it should be easy in that respect.  

@Denise T

HappyBirthday2.jpg.b633131b254959c12497a39ae1077c25.jpg

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, that was a good move to meet with the Relatives.  It sounds like Mr. Relative wanted to clear the air.  Hopefully, this reduces the tension and all four of you can enjoy the cruise.  

I'd give a pass to today's meal and probably go with Roy's alternative.  I don't eat pasta as a rule due to the carbs.  Pasta is an easily digested carb that sends my blood glucose into the stratosphere.  Best to avoid it.  This particular dish is missing the protein I want.  But, for those who prefer meatless meals, it just might fit the bill!  Feel free to substitute vegetables.  https://www.skinnytaste.com/creamy-orzo-with-asparagus-and-peas/

orzoasparagusandpeas1.thumb.jpg.9e36e59271b12497deeb605e05c00de2.jpg

Slightly different preparation in this recipe.  There is also a nice list of substitutions and additions that you can make.   https://skinnyspatula.com/orzo-asparagus-peas/

orzoasparagusandpeas2.thumb.jpg.fb90515b6a34cd3fd8b89122db26120b.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Thank you Debbie. 

41 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Got to go. Bruce

Sounds like a great start.  Enjoy your own bed for a change.

13 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I love ball point pens - varying between medium and fine points.  I don't know that I can be a miracle in someone's life, but I do like to help in small ways.  If it was warmer, today would be a good day for iced tea, but it'll have to wait.

Our sun made a brief appearance yesterday and today it's gone again, replaced by clouds and wind.  Everyone is tiring of the wind, especially that it brings pollen from all the trees onto every surface - I'm tired of dusting and washing everything on the deck, sometimes multiple times a day.  I shouldn't complain about the rain though,as it's good for the farmers and we all depend on them.

We were docked in Valetta, Malta on our first Mediterranean cruise; we took the shore excursion to the beautiful fishing village of Marsaxlokk.

MarsaxlokkFishingVillage.jpg.802d9131d6e2a3f6f40e4ec48c931259.jpg

@marshhawksorry your washer and dryer didn't get installed as hoped; you'd think the installers would have had extra supplies in their vehicles just in case.  I've seen ads on TV recently for the newest washer/dryer combination and they're touting you can do a full load in 2 hours.  Nope.  Don't like them - we used them when we were in Japan and they take too long.  Using our old w&d I can do 2 loads in that time, both washing and drying.  I guess they're good if you don't have a lot of space, but I wouldn't be specifically ordering one as a replacement for my current set.

@Denise THappy Birthday, although I'm not sure it's today!

@aliaschiefwelcome home - glad everything was alright on your return.  Although you had a wonderful time, I'll bet it felt good to sleep in your own bed again.  

I have to share this - yesterday was our lovely DIL's birthday and she was treated like a queen by the men in her house.  Our oldest DGS made her scrambled eggs & toast for breakfast, they went out for a lovely lunch, and later in the afternoon, our youngest DGS called his mom outside to see that "I made you spaghetti!"

Parker.thumb.JPG.f06fc885852c6c711daa267b1bb0ee6f.JPG

Today DH is having a telephone assessment for the cardiac rehab program - it's an exercise program where he'll be monitored for a few weeks, and after that we can continue on our own.  He's been through it before when he had his first heart attacks, and after his sextuple bypass, so he knows what will be going on.  It'll be good to get out and do some serious walking again, for both of us.  

I'd like to try the drink of the day (not sure if the bourbon would overpower it), would definitely like the wine, but $$$$$! I like the menu suggestion today, but would definitely add in some cooked chicken breasts to make it a meal in a bowl. I found a container of beef stew in the freezer that will be heated and served with some crusty buns for us at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

A beautiful photo of the fishing village topped by a cute picture of the DGS.  Aren't they thoughtful?😄

• Like 24
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Good morning from a cloudy central Texas.  It is already 77F with a predicted high of 89F this afternoon before the thunderstorms are supposed to arrive.  We'll see how that goes.  Currently, the humidity is 96% with a dew point of 76F.  There is not much on the agenda today except staying cool.

Several years ago, I switched from a traditional ball point pen to a gel pen.  I also have a couple of fountain pens, but I don't use them very often.  I hope I can be a miracle in someone's life.  I keep a pitcher of iced tea in the refrigerator year round.

The quote sounds like Groucho Marx.  While DH watches a lot of tv, I am usually busy.  After dinner and the evening news, I'll catch up on the day's happenings on my tablet and play games while we watch tv.

We'll pass on the meal.  The drink sounds like a good one to have on a BHB, and I hope it isn't too sweet.  We'll also pass on the very pricey wine.

We have visited Valletta five times covering six days. 

JFK's signing of the equal pay act was a good start, but we still have a ways to go.  The shipment of the first Apple computer in 1977 was the beginning of a new way to do almost everything.  

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, I'm glad you got The Relative situation out of the way last night and don't have to be looking over your shoulders all the time now.  Thanks for sharing your pictures of Valletta.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad the young people had a good time at the parade, and were home in time to share their day at dinner.  We had a washer/dryer combo in our old motorhome, and it took forever to dry the clothes.

@shippmates  Welcome to the Fleet Report/Daily.  The old walled city of Valletta is a walkable city.  If you don't feel like climbing the steep stairs to reach the old town, there is an elevator that will take you there.  If you are there more than one day, I recommend taking the Ho-Ho tour to see more of the island.  There are two routes which together cover most of the island.

@dfish  Debbie, I hope you get more sleep tonight.

@marshhawk  Annie, I hope they will take the old washer and dryer when they return with the proper hose and power cord tomorrow.  I hope your DH's immunotherapy and doctor appointment go well today.

@rafinmd  Roy, I hope Paul continues to recover well.

@aliaschief  Welcome home and back to the real world, Bruce.

@ger_77  Gerry, I hope the cardiac assessment for rehab goes well today.  Cute picture of the DGS.

407264318_869324091556624_4547077598265363428_n.jpg.b3526a668cfedc92f1156a9f020f1fcf.jpg

407480826_266715399713606_806659286824258043_n.jpg.319b9b3b26aa28fcec8f77a93be3c546.jpg

408139577_3602659416686452_5148654549868164089_n.jpg.81872838166c90002a270d7272ad9ccf.jpg

409064448_10161274734823518_1063614650238680451_n.jpg.636a8a5e4befd23cf398df320f86b310.jpg

409118008_381413130893345_1622457799482988905_n.jpg.944f67081ccaf82370c05e45697c85bb.jpg

409167684_7703007219715855_2452174593830264830_n.jpg.003d8d26081cb5ee316401c6ee1afc3e.jpg

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 21

This is what I posted on July 20, 2022.  There are a lot of pictures of Valletta from our five stops covering six days there.  This first set is from our 2002 and 2004 stops on Noordam III and our one non-BHB stop on the old Regal Princess in 2003.

In 2002, we did a tour to the Tarxien Temples and then walked around the upper part of Valletta.

Twenty years ago, we were up a lot earlier than we are today, so we saw the sail in to Valletta.

IMG_0626.thumb.JPG.f37a739250d1be13119be40fa420bf95.JPG

The Tarxien Temples

IMG_0644.thumb.JPG.f6c9f8f01505e93184a6a971c5e4ae95.JPG

IMG_0633.thumb.JPG.7930fc845b1a11ccaf6339325bf96415.JPG

IMG_0636.thumb.JPG.228819c6b328b6abfc1450af1a3bc528.JPG

IMG_0639.thumb.JPG.b7c354a0c68a692decde54541bb14e22.JPG

PICT0002.thumb.JPG.67cb5a75560a53739100c2536ae1397b.JPG

On our first visits to Valletta, they still used Leyland buses for their public transportation.  The bus "depot" was outside the city gates in a plaza at the top of some very steep stairs from the dock.  The new port complex and elevator were built sometime after 2004.

PICT0023.thumb.JPG.8f0c76b9544a3c433f03643e15e0a543.JPG

A few pictures from our walk through Valletta in 2002

PICT0019.thumb.JPG.2f0935d52fbffe288fdd36996d1aa2ce.JPG

PICT0020.thumb.JPG.8c7e3beaadece0e08ebdf2129abef6b3.JPG

PICT0021.thumb.JPG.135fa2c341b33271fdc6b6f409b64acd.JPG

Valletta as Noordam sailed to the next port

PICT0028.thumb.JPG.74df6ebfa40d59dcb6db4e215127b482.JPG

In 2003, when we stopped in Valletta, we decided to take one of the city buses to the Gozo ferry terminal on the other end of Malta.  It was an interesting ride, but the bus was noisy and hot since the engine compartment was by the driver.

IMG_3416.thumb.JPG.df1e015f874e034c84ed8d9628063190.JPG

The ferry terminal.  By the time we reached it, we knew we did not have time to go to Gozo and get back to the ship in time for sail away.  The bus ride took longer than we expected.

IMG_3419.thumb.JPG.792461e320f57211187cd1966023138c.JPG

Our bus back in Valletta

IMG_3425.thumb.JPG.50e97a6ec003b305797e8a9bca338dc5.JPG

In 2004, after climbing those steep steps, we walked around town.  That year, we toured the C0-Cathedral of St. John.  

The main altar.  You can see the graves of the Knights of St. John on the floor.

IMG_2922.thumb.JPG.876519eba8afa5662bfffe4512e05af9.JPG

One of the graves

IMG_2927.thumb.JPG.312dd0ff33a4887161021d4a1bc4fa60.JPG

We also toured the museum at the Co-Cathedral.  The walled courtyard.

IMG_2931.thumb.JPG.865f4be9cdc32811d65d2295af2b6a64.JPG

The Knights of St. John amassed a collection of Belgium tapestries, which when hung on the cold stone walls helped keep the buildings warm.  This is a small part of their collection.

IMG_2933.thumb.JPG.5de83b44067150c77c94835215285518.JPG

A dry dock we passed on the way to the next port.

IMG_3431.thumb.JPG.9404eb92cbc9f25333b05e685a5388f4.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

In 2016, Captain DD extended our day in Valletta to two days due to rough seas, which meant we would not be able to tender in Gozo the second day.

We rented a car the first day and drove to the ferry terminal and took the ferry to Gozo.  These pictures are of our drive back to the  port from the ferry.

We took the long way back to the port.  A couple of beaches and the scenery of the coast and interior.

DSC02245.thumb.JPG.714bdf77a9c1a2e4d33d636cf66166c7.JPG

DSC02249.thumb.JPG.01c6bee5d58b2b7abb0c2eb423d176fa.JPG

DSC02252.thumb.JPG.d6f1cc204441515a1a612e468fdbb946.JPG

DSC02248.thumb.JPG.254a3aabdee485b5836e5ab06f49d6f4.JPG

DSC02250.thumb.JPG.f0d6a25b244d534616b9c9ff97ac5333.JPG

An interesting church we passed.

DSC02258.thumb.JPG.7da0675f39a2df49143c32d7009b9e53.JPG

DSC02236.JPG

• Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

In 2017, our second day in Valletta on Prinsendam, we drove to Mdina.  It is a fortified city in the northern part of Malta and was the capital from antiquity to the medieval period.  Mdina sits atop a tall hill with commanding  views.

DSC02305.thumb.JPG.3d75ff96814f5e3a25051ae888184170.JPG

St. Paul's Cathedral, which was built between 1696 and 1705, is the oldest church in Malta.

DSC02266.thumb.JPG.cd9321ea35856c90a8a881e01e0d59d1.JPG

DSC02271.thumb.JPG.23e12e8a4bd2f8893740317253a3066c.JPG

DSC02273.thumb.JPG.34aff8d2c9993a173d2a59818b87a4aa.JPG

DSC02274.thumb.JPG.039959fcab9b6cd6bb331f9c0c22daf1.JPG

From the Cathedral, we visited the museum in the same plaza.  It was interesting to visit.  From there we walked around the small walled town of Mdina.

DSC02265.thumb.JPG.ce5e6cd802effa3e40a276cad7685dbf.JPG

DSC02291.thumb.JPG.0b6cbe5bea950605d25cbb35bf493fec.JPG

We came to an open area with views of the island.

DSC02294.thumb.JPG.229e396ff652333ba2ef9f4783b6eb1a.JPG

DSC02295.thumb.JPG.9e45d850ea97fe49154cd6521a34c983.JPG

St. Nicholas Chapel

DSC02300.thumb.JPG.db310ce7ed9cd585c3e16e9c94dcf69f.JPG

The main gate

DSC02302.thumb.JPG.dfb7989456b0a49fbb111d153f3a4fc0.JPG

After leaving Mdina, which the locals pronounced M-dina, we headed back to Valletta.  After turning the car in, we took the elevator to the Upper Barrakka Gardens.  Boy, is that elevator worth the cost.

The view from the Barrakka Gardens.

DSC02312.thumb.JPG.80d7bf798a4a38be2ea28555591dd4c5.JPG

DSC02313.thumb.JPG.2513bcf91e51c7d2c6cd67b42bbb6367.JPG

The cannon battery below the gardens.  These would play a big role in our sail away, but more about that later.

DSC02309.thumb.JPG.ada2b7db223ed0af7a5a24a4c0fb688f.JPG

We walked around Valletta, and came across this memorial.  Shortly before we were in Malta, Panamanian journalist  Daphne Caruana Galizia, who exposed political corruption in Malta was killed by a car bomb.  This is the spontaneous memorial to her.

DSC02323.thumb.JPG.92407410c1e2953ec9a27b4fa87d3b73.JPG

A lovely flower display near the gardens.

DSC02317.thumb.JPG.6300f5655a4925ea262cacb676e503e7.JPG

One of the narrow streets we drove down.

DSC02307.thumb.JPG.4f321c8f04af091b14c4ff9ef4623039.JPG

The Prinsendam waiting for our return

DSC02306.thumb.JPG.b576f8339928b7122cf036dffd765abd.JPG

The city as we sailed to the next port.

DSC02340.thumb.JPG.51c93c32ae9fcb5fc54d923610ba8092.JPG

Now, about the cannons.  This was CD Cess Tesslar's last visit to Valetta before his retirement the next January.  Captain DD and the Port Agent arranged a cannon salute to Cess as we sailed.  Cess was on the bridge wing with Captain DD when we sailed.

DSC02343.thumb.JPG.6376778cf03067f88bc9bcf033148707.JPG

BTW, in one of my earlier pictures, the beach area with all the buildings is called Popeye Village.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

In 2019 on Veendam, we took the Ho-Ho to see other areas of Malta.  There were two routes at the time, and we took the one that did not go to Mdina.  The tour took us to the area across from the cruise ship dock.  We then went into the countryside before following the coast along the bays on the north side of the island.  Unfortunately, I do not remember the names of many of the places we saw.

Pictures from our drive around the island.

DSC07831.thumb.JPG.c92cdd0c2e0527889aa751281c8128c2.JPG

DSC07834.thumb.JPG.2b04f0c5ca5f8f6ddf812bcc3d202c53.JPG

DSC07852.thumb.JPG.a422b81d45f5fbc585f3f15c95d5f608.JPG

It-Torri ta' San Lucjan

DSC07855.thumb.JPG.b4c21ec2a709226f32c137194aa2f18e.JPG

There are many towers around the island that were used for defense in the past.  Steve Berry's book The Malta Exchange is set partly in Malta, and some of the towers and chapels around the island are featured.

DSC07863.thumb.JPG.7b25b84a699d2c50110e492ad09d79de.JPG

We drove to the Blue Grotto which was one of the stops.

DSC07875.thumb.JPG.c011bca8505b47e25828e9884152d5f0.JPG

DSC07877.thumb.JPG.6a9ef011d51316a2303a61c78ac82a5e.JPG

Some of the area on the north side of the island before reaching the coast road.

DSC07881.thumb.JPG.f668d389b5ba2752543650604b5e509b.JPG

DSC07882.thumb.JPG.0d1e011684adda4eb2526b29919f2764.JPG

There are several bays on the northside of the island west of Valletta, where there are a lot of apartments.  It looked like the area was really growing with a lot of new buildings.

DSC07886.thumb.JPG.874c36077b7e602eca3fcab023db17ae.JPG

DSC07892.thumb.JPG.561c2f1086ec539e368bc2fa1f277429.JPG

After retiring the old Leyland buses, some were converted to souvenir shops.

DSC07903.thumb.JPG.361d74c15fbfcaf5a97a7ce2206c7524.JPG

A nice park

DSC07917.thumb.JPG.b9e85a4f9f6cf4203ace6d4bc2c495a2.JPG

An old area near St. Elmo's that was being renovated.

DSC07929.thumb.JPG.5848fe782ab7df9e9433e1f2ff12e870.JPG

DSC07931.thumb.JPG.cb439b8715bcc2dec9d8a011c3bf1a07.JPG

Once off the Ho-Ho, we took the elevator up to walk around Valletta.  The memorial to  Daphne Caruana Galizia was still there, but the area around it was back to plantings.

DSC07949.thumb.JPG.7b3ae4e45cd622d32a24af192d60591c.JPG

Since we were going to Gozo then next day, we spent the night in Valletta.

DSC07958.thumb.JPG.917f994780e1b33a0122a8c35350ad3f.JPG

DSC07964.thumb.JPG.65c00120ed9c24aa69b5e79f2a58e270.JPG

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily.

I use ball point pens all the time. I try to do good things for others, maybe not miracles. I like iced tea, particularly peach iced tea. Funny quote, although I've been watching less tv and reading more. Pass on the meal, maybe to the drink and I can't afford the wine. I haven't been to Valletta. 2 good days in history.

It's going to only go into the 60's today, but sunny. 47 tomorrow morning! I'm baking my sourdough loaves while it's cool, since the oven has to be quite hot. I'm also going to call PT to get set up. Then this afternoon I need to get gas and maybe do some of BFF's grocery shopping, if I feel up to it.

@StLouisCruisers That sounds like a fairly productive meeting with the relatives. Excellent Malta photos. 

@1ANGELCAT Enjoy Longwood gardens.

@Denise T Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed putting you on the list, since I knew it was today.

@smitty34877 I'm glad the young people had fun at the parade and got home safely. Continued prayers for Tana and you.

@shippmates Welcome to the Daily!

@marshhawk Ugh on the hoses not being long enough for the new appliances, and them not taking away the old ones. I hope DH's immunotherapy goes well today, as well as the meeting with the doctor. I'm glad your schedule will be easier for a while.

@aliaschief I'm glad you and Sue made it home safely.

@Quartzsite Cruiser Great photos. 

@kazu Hoping you have less pain today.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for those Celebrating.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

Good morning, it's around 55 this morning, supposed to hit 70 later.  The sun is shining and it's not so windy today.   Lots of small twigs and branches in the yard from yesterday.  DGD has another ball game tonite, may need to wear winter clothes!  I'm working on a sourdough loaf...it's not turning out.  The last time I did this recipe, it did...not sure why!  I think we have a quiet day today.  Besides the ball game, nothing on the schedule.  I have 4 quilts to bind

I like iced tea, and I'm struggling to find the "right" ball point pens!  The ink has to flow easily!  Haven't been to the port, not sure about the meal.   

@smitty34877good to hear the teenagers enjoyed their day! 

@ger_77hoping the cardiac rehab goes well.  

@marshhawkhoping your day goes well.

@StLouisCruisershoping you broke the ice and the rest of your cruise goes well.

@Cruzin Terrihope you can enjoy some relaxing time in Bermuda.

@Denise THappy Birthday! 

birthday-cupcakes223 copy.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6