Elite Laundry Question

Everything goes into HUGE commercial washers/dryers. It's unlikely that they would do a special wash/dry for one person.

If you have items that you want to give special treatment to, your best bet would be the laundry room. IIRC $3.50 to wash and $3.50 to dry, bring your own detergent and fab.soft. to save a couple of dollars.

PS: if you get lucky the ship might have the laundry room set-up for freebies. It's happened quite a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know for sure, but I'd like to think they use cold water. I don't watch them. 🙂 We always write down cold water ONLY, but sometimes clothes come back looking aged, like they were in scalding water. I prefer not to have anything laundered that I truly care about. The men's underware and socks are safe to me to send. I always hand wash my delicates in the the sink. 

• Thanks 1

There is no place on the laundry form to indicate how you want something washed as far as temperature or delicate. You could try making a note at the bottom but I am not sure how much care would be taken to honor that. I actually never thought to make that note but might try that the next time to see what happens.

We use this perk everytime we cruise and for the most part we haven't had any issue with clothing being sent out (all different types) so I assumed they were taking some care in how they washed certain fabrics.  Unfortunately, I just had some linen items ruined on our last cruise due to shrinking. I would be cautious about sending anything delicate or shrink prone if you don't absolutely need it laundered while on board. 

2 hours ago, Tropic5115 said:

There is no place on the laundry form to indicate how you want something washed as far as temperature or delicate. You could try making a note at the bottom but I am not sure how much care would be taken to honor that. I actually never thought to make that note but might try that the next time to see what happens.

We use this perk everytime we cruise and for the most part we haven't had any issue with clothing being sent out (all different types) so I assumed they were taking some care in how they washed certain fabrics.  Unfortunately, I just had some linen items ruined on our last cruise due to shrinking. I would be cautious about sending anything delicate or shrink prone if you don't absolutely need it laundered while on board. 

Thanks. My main concern is that they will shrink my jeans. That would be especially bad on a cruise😁

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Take the ship's tour (if it's still being offered). Best bargain on board. It was pricey ($150?), but the bling that comes with it makes up for the cost.

The tour includes the laundry room.

We did do the ship’s tour when we first started cruising (I still have the bathrobe and the chef’s jacket), and I remember the laundry room being huge and industrial looking. I also remember that it did not look clothes friendly😬

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

Thanks. My main concern is that they will shrink my jeans. That would be especially bad on a cruise😁

Just take old, previously washed multiple times jeans. They should be OK. DH has had his jeans washed on the ship without shrinkage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Everything goes into HUGE commercial washers/dryers. It's unlikely that they would do a special wash/dry for one person.

If you have items that you want to give special treatment to, your best bet would be the laundry room. IIRC $3.50 to wash and $3.50 to dry, bring your own detergent and fab.soft. to save a couple of dollars.

PS: if you get lucky the ship might have the laundry room set-up for freebies. It's happened quite a lot.

Actually, if you are Elite and you buy wash/dry tokens in the laundry room, you can call Customer Service and they will credit back the cost.

That being said, our clothes have come back in excellent condition.  We did have a TINY mix up during the last cruise.  I had sent my husband's clothes and somehow they misplaced his underwear and gave us a different pair, LOL  The one that they gave us was the same color, but they were ladies and quite large, LOL

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, wrongwaywatson said:

Actually, if you are Elite and you buy wash/dry tokens in the laundry room, you can call Customer Service and they will credit back the cost.

That being said, our clothes have come back in excellent condition.  We did have a TINY mix up during the last cruise.  I had sent my husband's clothes and somehow they misplaced his underwear and gave us a different pair, LOL  The one that they gave us was the same color, but they were ladies and quite large, LOL

Did the they fit him ?

Edited by memoak
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, travellingnana said:

If you request cold water wash and cool dry, do you actually get that, or is everything just washed hot/dried hot no matter what?

If you want to be guaranteed cold water I would do your own laundry 

• Like 3

Write Elite in large letters and request  cool wash on the outside of the bag.

Take a photo of everything you are sending for laundry.

You can request washer/dryer tokens from guest services if you happen to be passing. I take my own (Purex or similar- available on Amazon) 3 in 1 sheets.

17 hours ago, travellingnana said:

If you request cold water wash and cool dry, do you actually get that, or is everything just washed hot/dried hot no matter what?

We swore off of their laundry for a number of years but they've improved considerably. We still write cold wash and cool dry on the ticket but I'm not sure if it helps or not.

We also sent in most items for "cleaning", not "laundry".

14 hours ago, travellingnana said:

Use "cleaning". It's easier on most items and doesn't seem to shrink things.

7 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

Thanks!  What exactly is “cleaning”??

It's basically dry cleaning which they used to do years ago & stopped it because of certain chemicals being bad for the environment. It works just a well. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2024 at 4:08 PM, memoak said:

Did the they fit him ?

LOL   No, they would have been too big! LOL   I turned them in, because they looked nice and new and they were of no use to either of us! LOL  We never did get his pair back, though.  

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2024 at 1:29 PM, travellingnana said:

The ship will shrink jeans. But if yours are 98% cotton / 2% spandex the jeans will stretch back out. Uncomfortable at first but they will stretch back to original size

• Thanks 1

On 6/10/2024 at 11:12 AM, Tropic5115 said:

There is no place on the laundry form to indicate how you want something washed as far as temperature or delicate.

There's a big space at the bottom for special requests. However, regardless of what you put there, clothes will be washed in boiling water and dried on the surface of the sun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, skynight said:

For what is worth, I have never had any issues with the ship's laundry. No shrinkage, no damage, nothing. I have been elite and using this service since 2010.

Ditto

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 2:02 PM, jennybenny said:

I don't know for sure, but I'd like to think they use cold water. I don't watch them. 🙂 We always write down cold water ONLY, but sometimes clothes come back looking aged, like they were in scalding water. I prefer not to have anything laundered that I truly care about. The men's underware and socks are safe to me to send. I always hand wash my delicates in the the sink. 

Used Elite laundry service on board of Sun Princess. Instructed cold water. Not clear what they have used, but I think my DH jeans were washed in hot water. I don't use ship's laundry services fo my clothes. They did OK job for my DH clothes. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 2:02 PM, wrongwaywatson said:

Really?  We are Elite and paid for our wash and dry on the Royal recently.  Didn't know we could request a credit back to our folio.  Thanks for the information, good to know for the future.

34 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Really?  We are Elite and paid for our wash and dry on the Royal recently.  Didn't know we could request a credit back to our folio.  Thanks for the information, good to know for the future.

This will vary ship to ship and there is nothing in writing anywhere what says elites get free tokens

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, memoak said:
7 hours ago, Italy52 said:

This will vary ship to ship and there is nothing in writing anywhere what says elites get free tokens

And yet I haven't been turned down since the restart. I just get enough to do 2 loads on embarkation day