Which cruise lines are doing it best these days??

Since Covid we did 7 cruises all in suites , 2 rccl in oasis class, 5 celebrity 3 in M and 2 in E class. I like E class on celebrity, looking forward to MSc yacht club later this year.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Yep.  On the new Explora Journey 1, which is a luxury cruise ship known for its fine cuisine, they have a small venue called Anthology.  That restaurant is generally used to showcase a Michelin starred chef who is either cooking or has trained the onboard staff.  On our cruise, the Michelin Chef was Emma Bengsston who currently reigns as the Chef at the NYC Michelin 2* restaurant, Aquavit.  

Since "Chef Emma" was aboard and doing the cooking (in a galley that can be viewed through a glass wall) we decided to book that venue.  As I recall it was about $195 per person (which included wine pairing).  The evening, we went to dinner, there were only 8 dinners in the venue and Chef Emma actually came to all the tables to chat.   We talked to her about getting a reservation at her NYC restaurant, which she admitted was very difficult (one must book about 1 month in advance).  Chef Emma is the only North American female chef to have earned 2 Michelin stars.  And dinner was quite good with 7 courses.

Keep in mind that dinner, with wine, in Aquavit would cost significantly more than $400 (per couple) so, in a way, the deal on EJ1 was a "bargain."  Restaurant prices have truly gone through the roof.  In NYC, a simple pizza and beer can easily cost more than $50.  Dinner in the top Michelin starred venues can go over $1000 per couple (a lot more if one selects an expensive bottle of wine).

Speaking of EJ1, I should explain a little about that new ship.  She carried up to 900 passengers (on our voyages there were only about 450 onboard) on an all suite vessel.  The ship has no main dining room, but rather has 4 separate restaurants (each with their own galley and staff) plus a high-end Lido and that small Anthology venue.  When I say high-end Lido, consider that if we wanted grilled lobster we had our choice of what kind of lobster.  The raw seafood bar had oysters on the half-shell, cracked crab claws, huge shrimp, etc.  Their sushi restaurant had 2 sushi chefs preparing items to order.  It is a very interesting new cruise line (wholly owned by the MSC folks) with its 2nd (of 6) ships soon having its maiden voyage.

Hank

Hank

Think I would rather go without.

It could be argued they only charge that amount because people are prepared to pay it.

I wouldnt. I just cant get my head round food being that much better than normal food.

Also, I would feel seriously guilty, with so many poor folks living beneath the breadline. But thats just me.

• Like 2

this year we paid an extra $100, for two, to eat in Tuscan Grille on celebrity Constellation.

It was very nice, and they brought us extra dishes we didnt order.

When we left the restaurant we both said the same thing.

It was very nice but not $50 each nicer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DarrenM said:

this year we paid an extra $100, for two, to eat in Tuscan Grille on celebrity Constellation.

So true!  It's always better to see the costs clearly before signing up for such things.  Same concept as comparing actual per-night costs of a cruise to clearly see your best value. 

7 hours ago, DarrenM said:

Just book a penthouse or a royal suite and the specialty restaurants are included 😁😁😁😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, George C said:

Just book a penthouse or a royal suite and the specialty restaurants are included 😁😁😁😁

I think of that the same way as one can buy a Rolls Royce and get an included RR umbrella.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2024 at 8:17 AM, Hlitner said:

Yep.  On the new Explora Journey 1, which is a luxury cruise ship known for its fine cuisine, they have a small venue called Anthology.  That restaurant is generally used to showcase a Michelin starred chef who is either cooking or has trained the onboard staff.  On our cruise, the Michelin Chef was Emma Bengsston who currently reigns as the Chef at the NYC Michelin 2* restaurant, Aquavit.  

Since "Chef Emma" was aboard and doing the cooking (in a galley that can be viewed through a glass wall) we decided to book that venue.  As I recall it was about $195 per person (which included wine pairing).  The evening, we went to dinner, there were only 8 dinners in the venue and Chef Emma actually came to all the tables to chat.   We talked to her about getting a reservation at her NYC restaurant, which she admitted was very difficult (one must book about 1 month in advance).  Chef Emma is the only North American female chef to have earned 2 Michelin stars.  And dinner was quite good with 7 courses.

Keep in mind that dinner, with wine, in Aquavit would cost significantly more than $400 (per couple) so, in a way, the deal on EJ1 was a "bargain."  Restaurant prices have truly gone through the roof.  In NYC, a simple pizza and beer can easily cost more than $50.  Dinner in the top Michelin starred venues can go over $1000 per couple (a lot more if one selects an expensive bottle of wine).

Speaking of EJ1, I should explain a little about that new ship.  She carried up to 900 passengers (on our voyages there were only about 450 onboard) on an all suite vessel.  The ship has no main dining room, but rather has 4 separate restaurants (each with their own galley and staff) plus a high-end Lido and that small Anthology venue.  When I say high-end Lido, consider that if we wanted grilled lobster we had our choice of what kind of lobster.  The raw seafood bar had oysters on the half-shell, cracked crab claws, huge shrimp, etc.  Their sushi restaurant had 2 sushi chefs preparing items to order.  It is a very interesting new cruise line (wholly owned by the MSC folks) with its 2nd (of 6) ships soon having its maiden voyage.

Hank

Hank

Hi Hank, so how was the food? 

38 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Hank, so how was the food? 

EJ's entire philosophy seems to revolve around cuisine, and overall, they had the best food we have ever experienced on any line (including the luxury lines).  As to our expensive dinner (we had enough OBC to cover the high cost) with Chef "Emma,"  it was about what one would expect from a Michelin 2* chef, with the exception of the wine pairings.  But wine choices are so darn subjective.

There is talk, on the EJ boards, that the expensive dinners in Anthology may soon be going away.  My suspicion is that the venue is just not living up to the hype and many are not going to pay the price.   But rumors do not always become fact, so we will wait and see.  And since I know that you have a habit of enjoying luxury lines, I will admit that Seabourn is still my luxury line of choice (although we do have an upcoming SS voyage).  Another poster, when comparing EJ to SB had a very interesting comment which was that "Seabourn has soul."  I think that many SB fans would understand that comment.  While the EJ1 is a gorgeous ship, the decor is terrific, the staff (with the exception of the guest relations folks) excellent, etc. etc., the line does seem to lack something (call it soul).  But in fairness to EJ, when we were on the ship it (and the cruise line) had only been operating 3 months.  As they continue to add ships (5 more coming) the product will likely mature and make some needed adjustments.

It also sounds like the Aponte family may not be very happy with the first year of their luxury line.  There have already been some changes, in senior management, including the recent replacement of the CEO.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/14/2024 at 1:04 PM, George C said:

Or, as you're well aware, do the YC experience. Having completed our second one, we're realizing how insignificant pinnacle is....as well as most other suite experiences. 

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

Or, as you're well aware, do the YC experience. Having completed our second one, we're realizing how insignificant pinnacle is....as well as most other suite experiences. 

Agree!  The YC (and arguably NCLs Haven Suites) offer a unique experience (ship within a ship) which brings many luxury touches to the mass market lines.  That being said, there is much to favor small ship luxury cruise lines (i.e. EJ, Seabourn, Silversea, Regent, etc).  

DW and I have tried it all, but have also found too many limitations with the itineraries of both MSC and EJ.  Both companies stress shorter itineraries (often no more than 7 days).  While it is possible to string together voyages, the fact that folks are embarking/debarking (on a daily basis in Europe) does impact the atmosphere  Most folks who have done long cruises would understant when I say that the atmosphere of a long cruise is quite different from a series of back to back short cruises.

I will repeat something I posted a few months ago.  Last year, DW and I decided to book a 14-21 day Caribbean cruise between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  We first looked at MSC, which offered back to back 7 day cruises with a lousy itinerary (we have done this MSC cruise a few times in the past).  EJ had some options that we considered.  But in the end, we managed to stumble on an amazing 14 day cruise deal on Silversea, which was actually a lot less money than either MSC (Yacht Club) or EJ!  Go figure.  Since we booked that Silversea cruise, they have increased the price over 40%...so timing does matter.

While we really like the YC, it is the lack of interesting itineraries or any longer cruises, that drives us away from MSC's Caribbean offerings.  In Europe, we prefer the smaller ship Premium or Luxury lines...again because of their longer itineraries.

Hank

• Like 2

On 6/10/2024 at 5:24 PM, Shep_Proudfoot said:

I am asking this question in this “neutral” area of the CC forums because I wanted to hear from a variety of opinions, rather than asking in a cruise line specific forum where the answers will largely reflect that cruise line’s fans’ opinions. 

In these post-Covid, inflationary times, which are anecdotally full of cutbacks, reduced food quality, surcharges, inconsistent service, hiked fares and exorbitant excursion charges, which cruise line(s) are still doing it “right”, or at least better than the competition? This could be maintaining good service, holding the line on food quality, staying a decent value, rolling out the best new or revitalized ships vs. the competition or anything else important to cruisers that you think is keeping a cruise line at the top of your consideration list.

Who do you think has responded to these trying times the best, and why?

Most of our cruise experience is Princess, RCI, & Celebrity.   The only one we have not used since covid is Celebrity, and that is solely because of itinerary choices.  I would say RCI and Princess are both doing it right.   Additionally, our first cruise after covid was Carnival out of SF and it was a lot of fun.  

Prices fluctuate and inflation definitely has an impact.  I doubt anyone is adding expenses for upgraded services while lowering costs.  I still consider a cruise vacation a positive experience and a very good value.  I'm not the type that voluntarily does things they don't enjoy.