How “last minute” can you book a cruise?

destinations, the issue isnt who has enough time, all things being considered and equal, the question was when is the latest you can book a cruise, i imagine this question takes into consideration that the op does in fact have the time. my answer was, as long as there are cab ins available, one can book. of course you need to be flexible as to cabin location, category and price.

if you want a haven, and the only options left are ocean view, that's a decision one has to make

do you want the cruise/itinerary, or a specific category

• Like 2

We used to cruise out of NOLA when we were only 3 hours away.  There was a gentleman we saw frequently.  He was retired, lived with his dtr, and was only 20 minutes fromthe pier.  He would pack his bag and come to the pier.  If they had last minute cancellations or a no show he would get on for little more than port and taxes.  He said he didn’t care about the cabin and he always got a cabin to himself.   If they were full, he went home.  Said he sailed several times a month.

• Like 9

20 hours ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

We used to cruise out of NOLA when we were only 3 hours away.  There was a gentleman we saw frequently.  He was retired, lived with his dtr, and was only 20 minutes fromthe pier.  He would pack his bag and come to the pier.  If they had last minute cancellations or a no show he would get on for little more than port and taxes.  He said he didn’t care about the cabin and he always got a cabin to himself.   If they were full, he went home.  Said he sailed several times a month.

Sounds like he really knew how to enjoy his life.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2024 at 3:26 PM, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I didn’t know the number but I know that NYC, central/south Florida, LA, Galveston, Seattle, Boston is way over 10 million folks nearby.

Yup.  Lots of folks in Manhattan can walk to the port.  Plus the metro area is served by 3 commuter train lines from the suburbs plus the subway lines from the other boroughs.  That's a whole lot of people.  Also, many people can work from anywhere post-covid so that adds greatly to flexibility.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yup.  Lots of folks in Manhattan can walk to the port.  Plus the metro area is served by 3 commuter train lines from the suburbs plus the subway lines from the other boroughs.  That's a whole lot of people.  Also, many people can work from anywhere post-covid so that adds greatly to flexibility.

We can take a bus from not that far upstate.

On 6/17/2024 at 9:44 PM, Etta1213 said:

A TX cruise travel agent told me a felon in the US can book a cruise, but the cruise line will likely call about a week before sail date to say that the felon will be denied boarding.

That TA was a moran. I've been a felon for 25-years and have never been called, or denied boarding, by any cruise line.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

That TA was a moran. I've been a felon for 25-years and have never been called, or denied boarding, by any cruise line.

Which cruise line(s) did you use? I wonder if offense matters; for example, felony drug offenses maybe trigger worse reaction than theft, etc. She said she had clients who were rejected. I've read that even a misdemeanor dwi can keep a person from cruising Canadian ports. (I have a close friend who would like to go.)

Edited by Etta1213

43 minutes ago, Etta1213 said:

Which cruise line(s) did you use? I wonder if offense matters; for example, felony drug offenses maybe trigger worse reaction than theft, etc. She said she had clients who were rejected.

I think you should get details from her. She would know why her clients were rejected. Right?

I've cruised Carnival, Royal, NCL, and Holland. No issues. If you have a US passport, you're good to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2024 at 5:14 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

Ok, I just have to ask.  Why on earth would somebody be looking to book a cruise the day before sailing?  I guess if I'm already at the departure port and my cruise the next day is suddenly cancelled.  Why else?

We are within reasonable driving distance of both New Orleans and Mobile.  If I could book a last minute 3 night or 4 night cruise for less per night than it would cost to go out for nightly meals & movies, I would jump on it.

Many people can work remotely or have the flexibility at work to take a day or two off last minute. 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2024 at 6:19 PM, fla33023 said:

I live in Hollywood, FL so I'm in between POM and PE. If I had the money, I certainly would hop on a ship with a moment's notice.

I have a friend who moved to the Ft. Lauderdale area many years ago to work with family.  He was quite surprised to discover that when the oldest relative decided it was time to shut down for a break, they could just walk up to the port and board a cruise ship for a bargain.  (Obviously, this was back when paying at the port on embarkation day was allowed.). This friend went on so many cruises those first few years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:12 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Of course it's relevant.  If none of the available cabins are suitable, that is the same as having no cabins available.

You are making the assumption that the location of the cabin actually matters to the person booking last minute.

Let’s say you get a wild hair and want to drive down to The Emerald Coast tomorrow.  Your friends will be in . . . Orange Beach, Destin, Seaside, (pick a place) . . . and you want to be somewhere near them.  You just book where you find availability, regardless of whether or not it faces the ocean or has the exact layout you want or has bunk beds in the hallway, etc.  It’s not about the space you are sleeping in, it’s about just hanging with your friends at the beach.

Similar thing with booking a last minute cruise.  The person booking is just trying to get on the ship.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

You are making the assumption that the location of the cabin actually matters to the person booking last minute.

It's not an assumption if it is myself booking the cruise. 

The location and class of the cabin does matter. 

I simply won't book anything less than a Haven.

BTW, I don't get wild hairs to hang out at the beach.

On 6/16/2024 at 12:25 PM, McFins said:

What is the minimum number of days prior to the sail date that you can book a cruise?  

Thanks all!!

The bigger question here may be airfare. If you book last minute it could cost you. 

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

It's not an assumption if it is myself booking the cruise. 

The location and class of the cabin does matter. 

I simply won't book anything less than a Haven.

BTW, I don't get wild hairs to hang out at the beach.

And you are not the kind of person this thread is about. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I booked NY to Bermuda four days before AND was still able to submit a bid for a different cabin. As I knew there were a lot of empty cabins, I got a great cabin on deck 13 for another $120 so for the week (starting in an inside) it cost me about $600 with taxes/fees, etc. 

• Like 1

I have a feeling the last minute thing also may depend on where sailing from.. If there is a cruise leaving tomorrow, how would you book it?  I dont think you can do it on the website because you have to start or do your check in online before a certain time.?  I really thought I saw something about 3 days prior also.. But no freaking clue for sure.

47 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I have a feeling the last minute thing also may depend on where sailing from.. If there is a cruise leaving tomorrow, how would you book it?  I dont think you can do it on the website because you have to start or do your check in online before a certain time.?  I really thought I saw something about 3 days prior also.. But no freaking clue for sure.

Just a hunch, but I’d think last minute Hawaii cruises would have less waiting time as they are not international?? I’d think an international cruise would have additional requirements (and time needed)?

47 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

You can still book a cruise after online check in closed, on the cruise lines website or via an agent.  It’s not a legal requirement to have It done and they can do everything for you at the terminal. I Booked the day before and had no problems, no check in time means turn up when you want 😉 cabins left can be the ones people have upgraded from and are then vacant. I booked 3 days before on another and got a great balcony room assigned. Not for everyone I understand, but it is possible to get a great price, cabin and cruise last minute. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, D_And_K_gocruising said:

I have a feeling the last minute thing also may depend on where sailing from.. If there is a cruise leaving tomorrow, how would you book it? 

I'm pretty sure I could have booked the cruise I mentioned before (departing from Oslo - close for me) the night before departure. I started a booking and all looked normal but didn't go through with it.

• Like 1