The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday June 18th, 2024

Today is Clark Kent's Birthday (Superman), International Day For Countering Hate Speech, and International Sushi Day

Wicked people never have time for reading. It's one of the reasons for their wickedness.--Lemony Snicket

Meal Suggestion for today - Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder with Fennel, Lemon and Rosemary
Drink of the Day - The Beatnik
Wine of the Day - La Crema Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
Destination of the Day - Mindelo, Cape Verde

Today in History:
1928 American aviator Amelia Earhart becomes the 1st woman to fly across the Atlantic Ocean, landing at Burry Port, Wales

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 06:30 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Leith-Edinburgh, Newhaven-Rosyth-Queensferry, Scotland 08:00 - ovnt

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Valletta, Malta 08:00 - ovnt

Rotterdam

Isle of Skye, Uig-Dunvegan-Armadale-Portree, Scotland 08:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Dutch Harbor Unalaska, Alaska 12:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06-19

Zuiderdam

at sea

0618World.thumb.png.4cd8866bf17c0efcd1dc6e96b7e5de45.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 29

The Beatnik cocktail:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 oz. Averna amaro
1 oz. tawny port (such as Ferreira)
1 oz. Hudson Bright lights, Big Bourbon
Garnish:  Orange wheel

Directions:

Add all ingredients into a mixing glass with ice and stir until well-chilled.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Garnish with an orange wheel.

Screenshot 2024-06-18 at 6.24.05 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 20

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

78 this AM with a high of 91 and again no rain.

Happy birthday to the mild mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper. I loved watching the Superman series on TV when I was a kid and have to admit I watch a episode once in awhile on one of the streaming channels.
Countering hate speech is a very good thing starting with all the antisemitism going on right now.
I have never had sushi.

As for the quote, I’m not sure if reading makes a person less wicked but I do know I’m a voracious reader and not too wicked.

I’d give the meal a try.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!  It's 78 degrees and the computer says "clear". I opened the shades in the den, and while it is not sunny yet, the hummingbirds were on the flowers.  Quite a treat to see this early in the morning. 

Yesterday my boss commented that I have been "rocking it" since my return, and he hoped that I was going to stay long enough for the Design Your own 5 sales.  How long was I going to stay?

I told him forever.  I explained that I had learned that while I need the money (for cruises and medical bills) that more than 30-35 hours a week was no longer in my cards. I got a thumbs up. Of course I can still be kidnapped, but I doubt that will happen.

Must fix breakfast -have a wonderful day!

119cc991e468ee8d94f577ef7ddaee71.jpg

• Like 29
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie.  I’ll pass on the Sushi but celebrate the other 2 days, especially countering hate speech..  Maybe Sandi will have an update on what is open for Zuiderdam’s next port.

Oh no on the quote today.  I do hope reading online counts.  When I have a book in my hands it;s almost certainly sudoku.

I visited Mindelo just once.  It was on my segment of the 2014 Amsterdam World Cruise..

A great day in aviation  history,.

The meal sounds good.  I have not been on a BHB any calendar date between June 18 and July 2 so whatever alternative menu selections I would have would be strained and I’ll take a pass for today..

It will be hot today and getting hotter for the rest of the week.  I visit one of my more distant supermarkets this morning and will be inside for the rest of the day,

Roy

• Like 36

Good Morning or afternoon or evening or whenever you're reading this...

Happy Birthday Clark Kent!!!  I'm not a Sushi person...  But I would love to be rid of Hate Speech!!

For a Texas...  Slow Roasted Pork is called "pulled pork" and it's served with BBQ Sauce on a bun!!!  The Beatnik sounds like a drink I would give a try!  The wine and the location are great ones too!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!

• Like 33

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Cruzin Terri with positive Covid test

StLouisCruisers with a cough/chest cold

Cruisint-along with stomach/flu symptoms

Heat, Fires, flooding and storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Cruzin Terri’s DH Jim with memory and anxiety issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy, surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rafinmd back to his normal walk

StLouisCruiser’s cough improving

Cruisercl booking the 2026 GANZ cruise

Overhead Fred and DW at Canada Cottage

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Lady Hudson (Symphony of the Seas to June 21) 7 Night Bahamas & Perfect Day Cruise, with twin sister Karen, swin26 (Rotterdam to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun, Himself (Eurodam to June 22) 7 Day Alaska Explorer, Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice and  StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 24
  • Thanks 19

Good morning friends!  It is 39F here in the fjords around Ivittuut and Arsuk, Greenland.  We have had to settle for what they call scenic cruising here because this is one place there is very little ice.  Basically the ship has been sitting right off those two small villages for several hours, turning slowly 180 degrees, then moving slowly from one to another.  We now seem to be heading out towards the sea and probably be on our way back to Reykjavik, Iceland for Friday and Saturday.  Time is 10 am.  We are traveling at about 8 knots.

Thanks Rich @richwmn for posting our Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  Nice days to celebrate and no thanks to the meal, drink and wine.  Hmmm on that quote!  A great day in Amelia Earhart's life.  Thanks to Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope, and Ann @cat shepard for reporting for us today.

Prayers for everyone here, my DB, Alex's twins, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and the brave men and women in uniform helping out in the area.  Congrats to all celebrating a special event and to those cruising or preparing to.  And thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the great job you do keeping up the lists for us.

The port today is Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands.  This was the port in the past on May 3, 2021, Sept. 3, 2022, and Dec. 2, 2023.  We enjoyed a visit there before and I will post my pictures from last time.

Have a super Tuesday everyone!  Try to stay safe and keep well!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands was an overnight stop on our 2018 Grand Africa and Mediterranean voyage on Prinsendam.  On the island of Sao Vicente, the city of Mindelo was the Prinsendam's stop in the Cape Verde Island on March 22 and 23, 2018.  We were able to dock there, and then there were small shuttle vans that would drive us to the downtown area from the dock area. 

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

We were dropped off on the road running along the beach.

Nearby was a replica of Lisbon's Tower of Belem.

First a stop at the market

Then you could watch these locals carry goods home on their heads!  Real talent!

The lady on the right could make some out-of-this world salads I bet.  The one on the left has eggs on her head!

We also saw a fish market, and the main church in town.

I believe this was a government office.

This pink building called the Palacio do Presidente was once home to the island's governor.

There was a small park a block or so off the beach road, and it was called Praca Nova which means New Square.  It seemed to be a gathering place and we used it to take a rest before heading back to the ship that day.

More park photos.

I have a photo of this spot in the park but I'm not sure what its purpose is.  Tourist info?  Selling Coca-Cola?

Time to catch our ride back to the ship.  There she is way off in the distance in the center of this photo.

The day after, we left Mindelo we were supposed to tender into Praia, Ilha de Santiago in the Cape Verde Islands, but the weather didn't cooperate and we headed towards Banjul, The Gambia arriving there a day early.

This is as much as I could see of Praia.

Maybe next time!

• Like 26
  • Thanks 9

We need more than one day a year to counter hate speech.

No on the meal suggestion (pork), not sure that I would like the cocktail. For a Pinot Noir, maybe Keuka Spring 2020, $29.95. "This Pinot Noir truly expresses cool climate Finger Lakes terroir. Even though Pinot Noir grapes can be labor-intensive and fussy to grow, this dry red wine is sumptous and silky, with classic ripe cherry notes and a smooth, earthy mid-palate. A year of oak-aging balances the finish."

I woke at 5:30 a.m. and I don't like it at all.

Do you remember my concern, because it affected returning from Panama, about my fall course's having been changed from Thursday to Wednesday? They are now hoping to change it to Monday or Tuesday.

dogcontact.jpg.bd42cca7ff6363a3644ca9fcb6066b1d.jpg

• Like 26
  • Haha 10

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another hot, humid day in store for us.  A heat dome is parked over this part of the continent.  It's a "go slow" day, too hot to do anything quickly.

Happy Birthday Clark.  We must eradicate Hate Speech.  I'll pass on sushi.

Not sure about the quote, I think wicked people read wicked things.

The meal sounds good, a change from the way I make pulled pork.  I'll try the drink and the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.

Have a great day.  Stay cool.

• Like 30

Good morning from Upper Michigan.  Thanks for the  Daily and map today Rich.  Every day in important to call out hate speech but I am glad it has its' own day.  Superman was fun and I'll leave the Sushi.   There is a great deal of hate from not reading and knowing but I can't say wickedness.  I look forward to photos of today's port.  I love a good pork shoulder with pulled or carved.  I will pass on the cocktail but today's wine would be fine.    Thanks for researching these for us each day. 

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations Reports.  Prayers for Chuck, Tana, Jacqui, Terrie and everyone else is ailing or grieving.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

It will be warm and humid today but nothing like you folks in the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest.   It is 63 degrees and 99 percent humidity and will get into the 80s.   I am not even going to bother to shut the cabin up today as we have one hot day and then it returns to highs in the 70s.  Rain is in the forecast for every day this week including today.   One good thing about a lot of rain it makes it easy to pull weeds which is my main garden project right now.  Fishing first thing this morning probably.    Have a lovely Tuesday.   Nancy 

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Happy Tuesday everyone. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

It is hot here. We are beginning a very long heat wave. Expecting 90 today and temperatures in the 90s well into next Thursday. I have to keep an eye on Fancy because she loves laying in the sun, I have to make her come in. I will also be watering the plants almost every day. I dislike summer very much. I have a meeting, a client, grading of assignments and finishing the results section of my dissertation. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating, 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Tuesday humor | Animal humor | Cat funny | Work week blues | Waiting ...

• Like 31

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report, recipes and lists.  

Happy birthday to Clark Kent.  Conquering hate speech is a noble endeavor unfortunately too much of it is learned at home.  We enjoy sushi about once a week at our favorite sushi Douzo in Boston.  

I wonder if the quote is true.  Books can change minds but not always for the better.

Today‘s meal sounds nice but I would pass on the drink.

Off to the dentist this morning to have a broken molar looked at, cha-ching!

Prayers for those on our prayer list, hoping that things improve.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 30

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Another lovely morning. Already a strong breeze!  We had five minutes of rain yesterday. Just a teaser. But I will take it. Once again, the strong breezes kept the heat & humidity tolerable. And my Celtics won the NBA title! I am careful not to mention anything until it is all over, because I have been known to jinx them. 😎

Vanessa, thank you for recovering so well from your surgery. And you never missed a beat with the Daily! And always seem to find things that I miss!

Gym, Bindi walks, chores & pool time. I have a much needed manicure tomorrow - yesterday’s gardening took its toll on a couple nails. 

IMG_3026.jpeg.c38dea4b65d39c854c47c69900101b6f.jpeg

IMG_3027.jpeg.427d56c1981ed111b8d902e90ad98467.jpeg

IMG_3022.jpeg.a4a2764ae388da2849cc54b020498982.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Jacqui, Terry, Tana, Sandi, Terri - praying for you all. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating! Roy, congrats on getting back to your normal walk! The folks in Boston are celebrating for sure!

May we each find a reason to smile today!

La Crema Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir 2021

This is a lovely Pinot Noir, though my two favorites have a tiny bit more body - it is a close third. Easy to find. Reasonably priced. Online prices start at $19.97.

Winemaker Notes

#1 Wine Spectator Top 10 Wine Values of 2023

Aromas of blackberry, cherry, leather, and tobacco with ­flavors of red cherry, raspberry, and boysenberry. Subtle hints of espresso and cocoa nib underpin notes of exotic spice and toast. The fine tannins are balanced acidity drive a long finish.
  • 91Wine Enthusiast
    Both very well balanced and flavorful, this medium-bodied wine suggests red and black cherries backed by medium tannins for a good, appetizing grip in the texture. It’s a versatile wine for food pairings, and best through 2028.
  • 91Wine Spectator
    Offers a friendly mix of loganberry and damson plum allied to a bright, racy frame, with a nice piercing savory thread running through the finish. 
  • 91Jeb Dunnuck
    The 2021 Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast is floral and juicy, with ripe cherry, candied flowers, and sweet herbs. Medium-bodied and attractive on the palate, with more ripe mixed berries, fine tannins, and a supple, soft texture, this is a clean and very charming wine to drink over the next few years.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 4

Good afternoon.

Thank you for today's FR&D.

Some important days today.

Thought provoking Quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

I did like my Panna cotta and white chocolate sphere I had yesterday.

Prayers for everyone who want them.

I hope everyone is well and y'all have a lovely day.

IMG_20240617_192613.jpg

• Like 33

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 31

Posted (edited)

Good morning, everyone!

AC is still running well, a good thing as mid-MIchigan is going to be toasty again today.  Yesterday we got up to 95F.  The projected high for today is only 90.  So a bit of a reprieve.  No cats showed up in my dreams last night, so it was a restful night.  It was stressful the night before knowing the police were at my door and I could go to jail for harboring stolen cats.  

Nothing on the agenda today except  yoga.  I do have a sewing project for my DS, Mary Jo.  It is replacing the velcro on her dog bed for the car.  I was going to do it yesterday, but got caught up in AC issues.  Combatting hate speech should be everyday.  When you hear it, call them out!

Today's meal sounds good to me.  And easy.  It is one that is cooked long and slow.  I've done these pork shoulders on the grill over indirect heat and let them go for a couple of hours.  Then you can pull them apart with a fork.  Slow Roasted Pork

porkshoulder1.thumb.jpg.d05c5b033958de4326620ff79e17650a.jpg

Roasting potatoes along with the pork is a good idea.  They would be quite flavorful, I think.  

Lemon Roast Pork and Potatoes

porkshoulder2.jpeg.235ff737fd6dcc83a5992c3bf7e9cc71.jpeg

Here's one for the Dutch Oven.  I do think all these recipes are best saved for a time when you want the oven to heat up the house.  This week wouldn't be a great time to cook these.   Dutch Oven Pork Shoulder

porkshoulder3.thumb.jpg.5d7942fe3d5032b8a58b2920e1bdb1f8.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

Edited by dfish
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 14

Good morning. It is getting steamy outside already and the humidity is part of the high temperature picture for the rest of the week. It is hard to believe that I grew up here and never had air conditioning until I left for college. I remember one or two weeks, usually in August, where the newspaper headlines were all about 100 degree days. There was usually a picture of a crowded beach like Coney Island to demonstrate the effect. I have the insulated drapes drawn to keep the cool air in and we just hope the power stays on.

i always enjoyed Superman and like @MISTER 67, I have found a few episodes to watch recently. It does not get old to watch Clark Kent transform. We certainly need a day to counter hate speech. I am astonished at times about the things I hear people say. I will give someone else my sushi. The recipe sounds interesting and could maybe be made in the crack pot.

@StLouisCruisers, Sandi, We were unable to get to  Greenland on our VOV due to the ice and that was in July. Sorry to see that you could not as well. I hope you are feeling much better.

@Cruzin Terri, I hope you are starting to feel better and that Jim is better being in his familiar surroundings. As my mother used to say” you were standing behind the door when they passed out the luck”!
@dfish, Debbie, I was sorry to read about your AC issues but so glad you have a new best friend and it wasn’t crazy expensive to fix.

@JazzyV, Vanessa, hope the power outage you experienced was the only one. Thank you for always taking such good care of the lists. It is appreciated.

Take care out there everyone. It will be quite the week.

• Like 31

Good morning to all. Today we are awakening to 77 degrees temperatures and the high will be 91 and probably feel like 98! We did get some light showers yesterday and the humidity is 70%. 
Congratulations to the Boston Celtics, Eighteen championships.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

The cleaning lady arrives today so just like ship board living we will have clean sheets and cabin. We’ll sort of!☹️

Nothing much planned today other then the routine walk, reading and of course feeding my addiction and keeping up with the Daily.

Thanks to all who make the Daily happen. Bruce

• Like 31

2 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Today we are awakening to 77 degrees temperatures and the high will be 91 and probably feel like 98! We did get some light showers yesterday and the humidity is 70%. 

Same as here in the frozen north, except that we had thunderstorms from about 8:00 p.m. on.

• Like 21