Is this pushing it too close in case of flight cancellations?

Hi all! I am eyeing a cruise out of San Juan for Spring Break 2025. We live somewhat near the Orlando, Fl airport and have a wedding to attend the day before (Saturday). The plan is to attend the ceremony at least and head for the airport. This wedding is important to us but our vacation time is limited due to new jobs and kids in school so we would have to go this week. The flight would leave Orlando at 9:55 pm at night and arrive a little after 12 am in San Juan. Is this pushing it too close in case of flight cancellations? There are a lot of options leaving Orlando early Sunday morning. Also, I see that sailaway is at 8 pm. What time does boarding typically start when sailaway is that late? Thank you! 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, sunset785 said:

Hi all! I am eyeing a cruise out of San Juan for Spring Break 2025. We live somewhat near the Orlando, Fl airport and have a wedding to attend the day before (Saturday). The plan is to attend the ceremony at least and head for the airport. This wedding is important to us but our vacation time is limited due to new jobs and kids in school so we would have to go this week. The flight would leave Orlando at 9:55 pm at night and arrive a little after 12 am in San Juan. Is this pushing it too close in case of flight cancellations? There are a lot of options leaving Orlando early Sunday morning. Also, I see that sailaway is at 8 pm. What time does boarding typically start when sailaway is that late? Thank you! 

You should be fine.  Just keep an eye on the incoming flight to Orlando.  

We have arrived from Philadelphia on those midnight flights.  Just keep an eye on flight before.  Worst case scenario, you'll go the next morning.  

Boarding starts at the same time as other ports.  If you want to explore a bit before checking in, I would.  No tour is necessary for the forts.  

San Juan is a great port to leave out of.  Probably my favorite of all other than Seward and Barcelona.

Edited to add I always always do the latest check in time for San Juan as we do a late check out for our hotel and leave our bags there so we can either walk around, eat, bike, shop...  I'll be on the ship all week.  Plenty of time.

Edited by jean87510

Posted (edited)

I wouldn't feel comfortable at all with that flight since likely there would be very limited options (even if flights are available, seats may not be) to get you there if your flight is canceled.

Edited by smokeybandit

I flew in the morning of and had plenty of time. I think you have a greater risk of delay/cancellation with the last flight of the day vs the first flight of the day.

Check your travel insurance to see how many hours your flight has to be delayed before they will cover you. I think it's usually about 6 hours.

I remember some years ago, we had a sail from San Juan (Adventure?) and there was a huge snowstorm predicted.  We were panicking and were lucky for a flight from JFK (NYC) with a stop in Miami.  After some 3 hours of waiting for our scheduled flight, we finally took off.  Arrived at San Juan airport sometime around 1:30-2 AM.  The airport was closed and McDs Had just closed and only Subway was open. The sandwich tasted absolutely delicious.🤣 Unfortunately, we had to sleep in the airport and mostly on the hard floor. We did get blankets and somewhat snacks/refreshments.  There must have been a couple of dozens Paxs stranded.  However, getting early on the ship was like stepping in Heaven. 

Posted (edited)

As you indicate, your departure time is 8:00 PM. That is consistent with our experience as most of our San Juan departure cruises left in the evening, typically around 8:00 PM, as with yours.  Arriving the night before at midnight or even day of by noon or so should not be an issue. Flying as you are from Orlando should also mitigate any weather related flight concerns. 

Typically we also check in with first available check in then leave the ship for the day to spend time in Old San Juan, returning usually by dinner time.  Uber makes that transportation easy.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

First time we flew into San Juan, flight was 2 hours late (but still daytime).  Have stayed at the airport hotel when we did have a late flight - kind of weird walking through a terminal that is no longer in use but nice folks, quiet basic room (kind of like an IKEA), and decent included breakfast.  Wasn't worth paying high prices for San Juan hotels when we were arriving late.

The late sailing out of San Juan is specifically to allow more time for guests to arrive. 

We like sailing out of San Juan but hate the "can't check bags until 4 hours before departure" rule.  The baggage storage area has only one person working it and they tend to take long breaks.  Also don't forget to put your bags through the agricultural xray.  If their sticker isn't on your bag the airline will send you back to start over again.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, LeeW said:

The late sailing out of San Juan is specifically to allow more time for guests to arrive. 

We like sailing out of San Juan but hate the "can't check bags until 4 hours before departure" rule.  The baggage storage area has only one person working it and they tend to take long breaks.  Also don't forget to put your bags through the agricultural xray.  If their sticker isn't on your bag the airline will send you back to start over again.

The late sailing is also due to the proximity of the Virgin (and other) islands which typically are the first ports of call.  Even with a late departure from San Juan the ships are at a slow pace to get there for an AM port of call.  St. Thomas, for example, is less than 70 miles from San Juan.

Are you referring to the ship or the airport with your comment about the luggage check in time?  We have cruised out of San Juan several times and with the ship, in our experience, we have always been able to check bags by late morning with an 8:00 PM departure. 

The timing for the return flights at the airport can be slow with baggage check in due to the agricultural check as you indicate, but it has always been manned by several employees and, although it is the required first step, moves relatively well.  Inside luggage check can be a different story, however.  We have encountered 90 minute + drop off to gate check in times there.

21 hours ago, nelblu said:

I remember some years ago, we had a sail from San Juan (Adventure?) and there was a huge snowstorm predicted.  We were panicking and were lucky for a flight from JFK (NYC) with a stop in Miami.  After some 3 hours of waiting for our scheduled flight, we finally took off.  Arrived at San Juan airport sometime around 1:30-2 AM.  The airport was closed and McDs Had just closed and only Subway was open. The sandwich tasted absolutely delicious.🤣 Unfortunately, we had to sleep in the airport and mostly on the hard floor. We did get blankets and somewhat snacks/refreshments.  There must have been a couple of dozens Paxs stranded.  However, getting early on the ship was like stepping in Heaven. 

Fortunately they are flying from MCO in April.

We have NEVER been able to check bags at the San Juan airport earlier than 4 hours before the flight.  Multiple airlines.  And of course this is now policy at FLL and MIA.  Agree that luggage checkin at airport is also some of the worst everywhere.  We usually get off the ship around 9 and the lines aren't bad then, but with a 4 pm flight have had to store bags many times and then wait for the clerk to show up from his breaks to get them back.  Then lines are hour+, as you said.  Last trip on United and only had 45 minute wait for bag check to open and plenty of seats in the terminal, so we didn't bother storing bags.

Ship checkin is normal - earliest we have tried was around 10 am.  

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, LeeW said:

We have NEVER been able to check bags at the San Juan airport earlier than 4 hours before the flight.  Multiple airlines.  And of course this is now policy at FLL and MIA.  Agree that luggage checkin at airport is also some of the worst everywhere.  We usually get off the ship around 9 and the lines aren't bad then, but with a 4 pm flight have had to store bags many times and then wait for the clerk to show up from his breaks to get them back.  Then lines are hour+, as you said.  Last trip on United and only had 45 minute wait for bag check to open and plenty of seats in the terminal, so we didn't bother storing bags.

Ship checkin is normal - earliest we have tried was around 10 am.  

Appreciate the clarity regarding airport v ship. Never tried to check luggage at SJU airport (or any other for that matter) earlier than that time - typically around two hours prior as we arrive for our flights.  SJU can be a pain and slow with security and bag check and we have had 90+ minutes check in more than once.

• Host Kat changed the title to Is this pushing it too close in case of flight cancellations?
On 6/19/2024 at 9:28 AM, sunset785 said:

Hello @sunset785

Thank you for your new thread. However, it was posted on an incorrect forum and was off topic there. To help you out, I have moved your thread to the North American Homeports - Florida Departures forum where it will be on topic. I also edited your thread title since your main inquiry concerns Orlando flight cancellations. Browse through the thread titles on this forum looking for threads of interest. You may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are both great resources for new as well as experienced cruisers and we are so glad you are posting! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list of the various forums. I suggest you put the page's link in your browser's Favorites for quick & easy access in the future. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

I also suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

Hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic!

Happy sails,

Host Kat