2026 NCL Cruise Critic cruise (proposed)

10 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

But, there is a deal for Sugar M. (hush ... she probably peek at it long ago as I mentioned this earlier) - solo price for an Oceanview (180+ sq.ft.) - with base fare at just $1,359 plus $275 port taxes/fees/charges for a total of $1,633.

Will you all please stop tempting me. I need to get my passport renewed so I am grounded until the Fall.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Here's my survival story for 115-120 degree temps (like @schmoopie17 said, 110 is nothing!). From June to September, I go from my airconditioned home, to my airconditioned car, to my airconditioned office. All shopping and miscellaneous adventures are done after 8pm. The other 8 months of the year are why I put up with the 4 terrible months. 

As an aside, my office A/C has been out since Friday (the whole building). I have been moving from one place to the next to work and I hate not being at my desk and having my 'stuff'. I did spend yesterday there with turbine fans blowing and the temps in the low 80s...I was fine for about 7 hours and then 'lost my cool'. Supposedly the part came in today and it is repaired. Oh to be on the Joy again...

Hope your office A/C is truly fixed.

Granted it has only been as high as the 90s where I am right now. But the A/C in my home has been out of order since last year. So I've been sitting at Whole Foods during the day like a homeless person since we left the Joy for some cooling relief.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Granted it has only been as high as the 90s where I am right now. But the A/C in my home has been out of order since last year. So I've been sitting at Whole Foods during the day like a homeless person since we left the Joy for some cooling relief.

While up here in the valley we have been dealing with the heat and thunderstorms, we lost power for 14 hrs the other day, and tonight just south of us there was a reported rotation and about 1/3 of the service area is out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Just got a text...it's not fixed.

Last summer the A/C in my apartment went out and we had to live in a hotel for a week (was paid for by my landlord...it's a law in AZ). I am not sure how many more summers I am willing to endure this nonsense. It gets worse every year. 

I need a cruise.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

If your local library has air conditioning, that might be a better place to hang out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

As an aside, my office A/C has been out since Friday (the whole building). I have been moving from one place to the next to work and I hate not being at my desk and having my 'stuff'. I did spend yesterday there with turbine fans blowing and the temps in the low 80s...I was fine for about 7 hours and then 'lost my cool'. Supposedly the part came in today and it is repaired. Oh to be on the Joy again..

Oh my! The office A/C went out last week during the northeast's "heat wave." I kind of laughed given I've experienced much higher than 95 degree temps while out west. Keeping the blinds down, the lights out, and fans on kept me going through the day. As soon as temps went back down to the 70's, the A/C suddenly decided to work (not that I'm complaining). 

Then, Monday, our power went out for a few hours while the dogs were home alone. Thankfully it wasn't too hot, but we've had it all in the last week! Here's to better power for us all and A/C that is working! 

Drink lots and eat some salty yumminess! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

... power went out for a few hours while the dogs were home alone. Thankfully it wasn't too hot, but we've had it all in the last week! Here's to better power for us all and A/C that is working!  Drink lots and eat some salty yumminess! 

Cheers ... we had our share of rolling thunder last night, NWS alert gone off around 8:30 PM (again) warning of 60+ mph, hails and possible urban flash flooding ... and utility had been reducing power lately.  Is solar panel on the house roof a remote possibility, my brother across the river did theirs 2 years ago - not always possible with urban homes like NYC - theirs being detached 2 family home was subsidized with tax rebate/incentives, etc.  Another CC couple we met last Spring on the Epic TA converted their home to solar, living in the middle of nowhere out in AZ at 4,000 ft. elevation and said, they absolutely love and recommend doing it.  

Looks like we'll get a break to more seasonal summer weather for about a week before hitting the 90's and humidity again, high-flow fan should get us thru most of the day & giving our window AC a rest.  Iced black coffee, anyone 😁 

16 hours ago, vswan said:

I would prefer NCL, yes the latitude stuff, but also they are friendlier to solo cruises with room options. Schmoopie, I see you're in Wisconsin. MN here. Mid-state central. Do you fly out of MSP or are you on the other side of the state?

MSP is a long way away. We're in the southeast. We typically fly out of ORD...we hate that airport but they have better choices and lower prices than MKE.

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We're booked on the Joy next February for a Panama Canal cruise. If anyone wants to push the date from 2026 to 2025, that would be an option. Although, it's 15 days, so probably not too many takers.

Is it Miami-LA or the other direction?  I did the first Bliss Panama Canal back in 2018 (?) from Miami to LA and would love to go the other direction. I would also like to do the original locks but you can't always get what you want. And I don't think @graphicguyhas done the PC.

Dates please?

52 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Can't eat or talk at the library. Apparently it's frowned upon when I tried.

We lived in Saratoga Springs for awhile and ventured to the library often. They had small cafe with drinks and yummy food. You just need to find the right library! 

Back in the day, like way back when this one was 13/14 years old, I was responsible for the small village library on Wednesday evenings from 5 - 8 PM. I ate dinner at the desk while helping patrons check books out. A wee little (ok, I wasn't little back then either) lad of a book nerd I was then. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

To be honest (or as the kids say...TBH), this would be ideal for us. 

Mrs. Schmoopie has her heart set on going to Croatia in 2026, so if everyone could work it out to do this one in 2025...

Oh schmoopie....we're going to be so close to y'all! We'll be leaving New Orleans for a 7 day cruise on February 2nd, heading to the Western Caribbean. 

I'd love to see Dubrovnik. Are you going on a land-based vacation or cruise? Nothing's posted for 2026 yet. We could do a Med cruise. A few private shore excursions between members could be a strong possibility!  

Edited by cruiseny4life

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'd love to see Dubrovnik. Are you going on a land-based vacation or cruise? Nothing's posted for 2026 yet. We could do a Med cruise. A few private shore excursions between members could be a strong possibility!  

It would definitely be a cruise.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 1:31 AM, sailingships said:

The right age for that cruise but the music? What about Chicago etc?

Chicago did have it's 1st hit album prior to '73, so they would qualify. As would The Supremes, The Fifth Dimension, The Jackson 5, Frankie Valli, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, Yes & many many more! Oh, and completely agree with the poster that "70 is the new 50" & the Swiftie poster, as well. I'm actually a 35 yr old in the body of 67 yr. old.

And we would certainly be interested in such a CC cruise. I'm not at the 70 milestone yet, but will be celebrating hubs attaining it on the Pride of America in Jan. '25. No other cruises set beyond that date. He also thinks I am eternally weird for enjoying "internet forum friendships", but he's at least open to meeting folks once on board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Oh schmoopie....we're going to be so close to y'all! We'll be leaving New Orleans for a 7 day cruise on February 2nd, heading to the Western Caribbean. 

Croatia was our last stop on our very 1st cruise in 2017. We just spent time in the Old City, but it was incredible.I had no idea Dubrovnik was that beautiful. We did the "Game of Thrones" excursion when it was in it's heyday & it was outstanding. Our guide was a young school teacher, native of Dubrovnik.  Lunched at a cafe overlooking one of the coves "sandwiched" by the city wall & even on a very hot day in July, the breeze coming off the water coupled with the view, excellent food and surrounded by history made for a perfect ending, or so we thought. Once back to Venice, our Sun.am flight home was cancelled due to a flight staff shortage & no others available until Tues. AA had to provide hotel/meals for over 50 of us. Ended up at a Doubletree outside of Venice, very comfortable. Then, we found transport to the closest train station to take some of us into Treviso on Monday. What a treat that was! all on American Airlines😉 Oh & we actually made money on the reimbursement for our flight due to the EU traveler protections. Memorable trip for sure!

5 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Can't eat or talk at the library. Apparently it's frowned upon when I tried.

How far are you from the 😁 indoor Chelsea Market, food court w restrooms & free WiFi access - you surely know the High Line.  I am hanging out at the indoor Tangram Mall in Flushing, waiting for the ladies to do their weekly PT sessions (acupuncture & massage) at the next door medical annex ... today is cooler & humidity is low. 

PXL_20240627_191301752.thumb.jpg.88397584104c5ae93a2e359f572d0bef.jpg

This is the Assembly Station for high-end Asian foodies tour, i.e. crispy Peking Duck 😋  except I can't have any for now 😸  

PXL_20240608_233510183.thumb.jpg.4ee500aa54a276dd2905f98bcc7a8aab.jpg

• Like 1