For those who prefer S Class to E or M, tell me why.

I'm glad to hear some others think E class, Beyond in my case, are dark and sterile looking. My husband called it an "inconvenient" ship. Too many areas that encouraged stairs, dark scary hallway to Eden, uncomfortable seating everywhere, of course IVs, (which we didn't dislike as much as some folks do), unused or underused spaces, not enough bars, no library, and on and on. . 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Three reasons we prefer S class over E:

• "Main dining room" service on E is a hot mess. The logistics of feeding so many people who want variable dining times is already complicated enough without throwing in the complication of having "different" restaurants. But other than decor, they aren't different at all. It's the same galley and the same menu (yes, I know they pretend they are different, but it doesn't matter which one you order from). On Apex a few weeks ago, we showed up as early as 5:30 PM only to be told there was a 30-45 minute wait.

• Sky Lounge

• The "infinite balcony" is neither infinite nor a balcony.
Edited by publicpersona
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I’d sail any of them tomorrow..that said, prefer the layout of E. It feels upscale to me..Ascent was better than Apex..pool cabanas and more bars, plunge pools and a much bigger Sunset Bar layout. We are outside people..

S Class are older school feeling, and I get why some like that. I don’t like them doing away with some of the lawn around the Sunset Bar (Equinox)

i absolutely do not like set time dining on any ship..I don’t know what time tonight I will eat, much less on a cruise this September. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

Our first cruise on Celebrity was solstice about a dozen years ago , was totally impressed we were in aft sky suite ( free upgrade ) but this was before suite lounge and restaurant. Since we did 7 M class all in suites 

last 4 in royal suites , two E class on sky and one penthouse. I prefer E class because of outdoor retreat and entertainment, but dislike there Luminae. m class cruises were because of doing 6 music charters. Really would like to try S class again.

25 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

That sounds absolutely horrible but I have good news for you -- The Japan itinerary has very few sea days so you will not have to suffer that indignity too many times. 

Thanks for the support.  Our first cruise on Millie is Bali to Singapore then maybe Japan.  Maybe I’ll get lucky and they’ll remove all the horrible balconies before our second cruise?  One can only hope.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Can you expand on the reason you don’t like M class?  Which ship were you on?

Did Summit and Constellation.

I think for me there were not enough venues or things to do. I don't like the look of the older ships, Summit was better for looks because of the refurb.

The food on both were ok at best, I had better food on Beyond. 

I'd like to try S class at some point because probably more in the middle.

12 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Did Summit and Constellation.

I think for me there were not enough venues or things to do. I don't like the look of the older ships, Summit was better for looks because of the refurb.

The food on both were ok at best, I had better food on Beyond. 

I'd like to try S class at some point because probably more in the middle.

I love entertainment on M class but we do music charters so have listened to America, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs, Foreigner , Mellisa Manchester, BJ Thomas ,Todd Rundgren etc etc

• Like 2

1 minute ago, George C said:

I love entertainment on M class but we do music charters so have listened to America, Michael McDonald, Boz Scaggs, Foreigner , Mellisa Manchester, BJ Thomas ,Todd Rundgren etc etc

I've never heard of most of these, I think Foreigner is the only one I've heard of.

Summit had a partial charter - if it had been my first cruise I would have never returned (NFL)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, George C said:

Are you referring to music or the theater?  Why would it be different on M class?

8 minutes ago, George C said:

Where is your best source for info on these charters? TIA

4 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Are you referring to music or the theater?  Why would it be different on M class?

They are talking whole ship charters..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

Ours is a 70’s music charter google rock and romance, same company does flower power which is 60’s , disco , 80’s etc . Not cheap but fun get to talk to the artist and they will sign albums CDs etc. we are doing our 7th in March on summit again.

13 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I've never heard of most of these, I think Foreigner is the only one I've heard of.

Summit had a partial charter - if it had been my first cruise I would have never returned (NFL)

We did three partial charters on was hockey , one were Boston Celtics after they won about 40 years ago and other was first responders they were fine but both were a long time ago . 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Whole ship charters?  At least you know what you’re getting.  

Partial charters?  I’d be annoyed if I boarded a ship to find out that a few hundred people were all going to the bars at the same time.  As has been reported on Cruise Critic.

Edited by zitsky

4 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Interesting. Have heard very different opinions on Edge vs Solstice class. Many say that Edge class are so much more high end and luxourius compared to S class. 

Higher Tech.... yes.... higher end....nope

• Like 2

1 hour ago, George C said:

Ours is a 70’s music charter google rock and romance, same company does flower power which is 60’s , disco , 80’s etc . Not cheap but fun get to talk to the artist and they will sign albums CDs etc. we are doing our 7th in March on summit again.

Thanks, good info.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Whole ship charters?  At least you know what you’re getting.  

Partial charters?  I’d be annoyed if I boarded a ship to find out that a few hundred people were all going to the bars at the same time.  As has been reported on Cruise Critic.

Yes, these are almost always whole ship charters..

Edited by PTC DAWG

4 hours ago, Cruiscs said:

Interesting. Have heard very different opinions on Edge vs Solstice class. Many say that Edge class are so much more high end and luxourius compared to S class. 

I don’t think gray is a luxurious color for decor. Especially at Christmas.  I think it looks institutional and cold

IMG_0069.jpeg

• Like 6

16 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I cannot wait to read how horrible your Millennium cruise in Japan was. 

We spent 72 days sailing from Vancouver to Singapore a decade ago.  Loved every day and Japan was amazing.  (Sorry we had a few horrible rough sea days).

38 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I don’t think gray is a luxurious color for decor. Especially at Christmas.  I think it looks institutional and cold

IMG_0069.jpeg

Have been on Edge. The whole ship is not gray.

• Thanks 1

We have sailed on all of the M Class and S Class ships. Only sailed on the Edge once. We board Apex in a week.

Overall I like the M Class ships. I like the size of the ship. That most of the suites are on deck 6. Also the locations of AquaClass cabins under the pool or deck 11. 

When it comes to S Class ships. I just love the glassblowing. In my eyes the best cabins on the S Class ships are the concierge class deck 12 on center aft.

The Edge Class with limited experience. X did a great job on the tendering platform. I did like our Sky Suite.

I do hope the Apex will bring me around to liking the Edge Class ships. My biggest complaint is not being able to order off the MDR while dining in Luminae. Yes I know I can dine in the MDR, but I would be dining alone. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cruiscs said:

Have been on Edge. The whole ship is not gray.

No but a lot of it is.  The rooms are done in gray LVT like panelling and the colors are mostly in grays too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

We have sailed on all of the M Class and S Class ships. Only sailed on the Edge once. We board Apex in a week.

Overall I like the M Class ships. I like the size of the ship. That most of the suites are on deck 6. Also the locations of AquaClass cabins under the pool or deck 11. 

When it comes to S Class ships. I just love the glassblowing. In my eyes the best cabins on the S Class ships are the concierge class deck 12 on center aft.

The Edge Class with limited experience. X did a great job on the tendering platform. I did like our Sky Suite.

I do hope the Apex will bring me around to liking the Edge Class ships. My biggest complaint is not being able to order off the MDR while dining in Luminae. Yes I know I can dine in the MDR, but I would be dining alone. 

I’ll be in a M class Sky suite in 6 months.  I don’t like that they seem to all have a view of the lifeboats one or two decks below.  But we wanted to try the Retreat in this class of ship.

Since I’m in the Retreat, do you suppose they would remove all the lifeboats if I asked them?  I mean, what are they used for, anyway?  😂

Edited by zitsky