The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday June 21st, 2024

Today is International Day of Yoga, Litha, and Make Music Day

Life is an awful, ugly place to not have a best friend.--Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.--Mahatma Gandhi

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Eggplant Salad
Drink of the Day - Yellow Hammer
Wine of the Day - El Enemigo 2020 Semillon (Agrelo)
Destination of the Day - Bodo, Norway

Today in History:
1788 US Constitution comes into effect when New Hampshire is the 9th state to ratify it

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island Canada 20:00 - 23:59

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06-22

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

At Sea Destination Dublin, Ireland eta 06-22

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island Alaska 11:00 - 19:00

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Nafplio, Mycenae, Greece eta 06-22

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland eta 06-22

Volendam

Bar Harbor, Maine 07:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Nome, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska, Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30 ,13:00 - 22:00

Zuiderdam

Reykjavik, Iceland 12:00 - ovnt

0621World.thumb.png.fdf3f4734512028d84c30e3255f501ab.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 29

Good morning friends!  As planned Zuiderdam pulled into Reykjavik before 8 a.m.  Skies were heavily overcast, temperature was 50F and it appeared to have rained already though I couldn’t see if it was at that moment.  Rain is in the forecast and I’m hoping that doesn’t mean all day for the next two days.  We leave port Saturday night at 6 p.m.

Cough is better but stomach still not good.  I am eating very lightly.  If I don’t go home lighter in weight after this cruise, I give up! 

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the fleet location maps.  I can go along with the yoga, Litha and making music.  Confused with the quote.  Will pass on the grilled eggplant salad, Yellow Hammer drink and the wine.  Makes life simple.  In 1788 there must have been much celebration with the U.S. Constitution going into effect.  Thanks again today to Debbie @dfishDixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your food and beverage reports. 

Prayers for DB, Alex’s twin boys, the people of Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and our brave men and women in the military assigned to that volatile region.  Many prayers for my friends here in need of them, Jacqui, Tana, Terri and Jim, Annie and Chuck, Pennie, Elizabeth, Roy, Richard and Maureen.  Nice to hear Terry’s @smitty34877 DB is coming for a visit again and to give a hand in her home.  Vanessa @JazzyV I hope your BFF is closer to gaining his full function again so you two can get back to normal lives!  Cheers today for all celebrating happy events and cruises!  Enjoy them while you can.  Thanks Vanessa @JazzyV for the list work again today.  Great job!

I saw the discussion yesterday on Jan Stearman.  We knew her as our CD two times on Seabourn, in 2016 and 2018.  What a lovely lady she is!  Here she is with DH.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Our port today is Bodo, Norway, one I’ve never heard of before.  First time for it so no links today.  And I obviously haven’t been there so hope someone here may have been the lucky one to give it a try.  I don’t see this port on the current list on the Holland America site so perhaps it was there in the past.

Enjoy your start to the weekend.  Try to stay safe and keep well.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 6

Yellow Hammer cocktail:

The name for this cocktail is a nod to the famous Alabama "Rammer Jammer" cheer—and to a slightly smaller resident: a bird. The Alabama state bird is the Northern flicker, also known as the yellowhammer, so named for the flush of warm, vibrant yellow feathers that are revealed when they open their wings.

Like the bird, this cocktail is spellbinding. It's made with four different types of liquor, all mixed with citrus juices, so it's a seriously strong drink that will seem far more sippable. Enjoy this drink responsibly—and especially on game days.
Ingredients:
2/3 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup refrigerated orange juice
1/4 cup (2 oz) vodka (such as Tito’s)
1/4 cup (2oz.) amaretto (such as Disaronno)
1/4 oz. (2 oz.) white rum (such as Bacardi)
2 Tbsp. (1 oz.) orange liqueur (such as Grand Mariner)
4 stem0on0maraschino cherries (from 1 (10 oz.) jar
Directions:
Pour pineapple juice, orange juice, vodka, amaretto, rum, and orange liqueur into a small pitcher.
Stir to combine.
Fill 2 pint glasses with ice.
Pour mixture evenly into glasses.
Place 2 cherries in each glass.  Serve immediately.

Screenshot 2024-06-21 at 6.28.31 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 21

Posted (edited)

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

73 right now, heading up to 93 with again no rain.

Make Music Day sounds like a plan.

Good quote from a great man.

I’ll pass on the eggplant salad.

Did anyone else catch the baseball game from Rickwood Stadium in Birmingham last night that honored the Negro Baseball League and especially Willie Mays who played in that stadium a couple of years, quite a night with some great interviews and memories of those years while not forgetting the injustice that Black ballplayers faced while playing baseball in the Deep South in both the Negro League and in the regular Minor Leagues.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

Another hot one here, so not much on the agenda.  I'll take Bertie for a short walk soon, I don't like to walk him when the sidewalk gets too hot for his little feet.  He'll just have to go out in the backyard to do his business.

Three good days to celebrate.

Interesting quote, but the 2 parts seem disjointed.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink.  I hope the wine is good too.

We've never been to today's port.

Prayers for our world.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

Have a terrific day.   Stay cool.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone!   Thanks for the Daily and map Rich.   Many will be happy to celebrate Yoga day, not me.  Making music is fun and great to listen to.  A good quote from Gandhi.   I have not been to today's port.  I will pass on the eggplant and the Yellowhammer.  The Semillon wine should be good.   Thanks for researching these for us each day ladies.

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports Vanessa.   Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Terri and Jacqui and everyone else who is ailing or grieving.  @StLouisCruisers I hope your tummy feels better soon!  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

We will be heading out in a couple of hours for our road trip to Escanaba.   A perfect two days to be away as it is supposed to rain the next two days.  We can dodge the raindrops and a lot more fun doing things rather than trapped inside the cabin.  We fished yesterday afternoon and John caught a small Pike.  All I did was lose bait so we called it a day after 2 hours.  Have a lovely Friday!   Nancy

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily updates.  An evening thunderstorm came through yesterday and broke the heatwave that we were experiencing.  Now it’s 70F and a bit humid, I’ll take it.  

I’ll celebrate yoga and making music, I’m really good at the savasana pose!

I really like today’s quote, so much to take away from it.

I’ll pass on the meal and maybe try the drink.

I haven’t been to anywhere in Norway yet.

Praying for those on our list today.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the Reports!!  

I love Eggplant!  (I don't think it tastes like egg at all...  but then, no one asked me when they named it!)

I have had a Yellow hammer and it's good...

Yoga and Make Music are activities I enjoy...  And it is the Summer Solstice.

It also would be my 39th wedding anniversary, had Howard lived past 52 years old.  We married exactly one year to the day after our first date -- which was six months after I met him and kept saying NO to invitations of dates!  I relented on 6/21/84...  I thought one date can't be too bad and then I could say thank you anyway and be done with this man who came into my photo shop one day in January, and told me he was going to marry me...  On the first day, he told me this!

Have a wonderful first day of Summer!!!

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! The first full day of Summer has brought rain! A light, steady, wonderful rain! When Bindi and I went out this morning, I could hear our local frogs partying in the drain 2 1/2 houses down from me. They are happy too!

Vanessa thank you for keeping up with all of us. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores, prep for dinner tomorrow, and maybe some pool time. BTW, I now know what my true relationships with Bindi is. I am her Kahu. 

IMG_3038.jpeg.5a1e4ad84b62467a00a3f6bd084d5c52.jpeg

IMG_2986.jpeg.0c233991587c8c7a6c06b65e01f2a79d.jpeg

IMG_3021.jpeg.38028f773f004597d580181a4412bfd7.jpeg

IMG_3037.jpeg.c6f43fff0d5bc03a8ea42a42924935d1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support.

Cheers for all who are celebrating! @ottahand7 Nancy hope John has a Happy Birthday - enjoy your trip. BTW, Bindi would like to know how you dodge raindrops. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

El Enemigo 2020 Semillón (Agrelo)

When I think of Argentina’s wines - I think of Malbec. But this past week, I had a lovely Cabernet Franc from Argentina & now a Semillón! I definitely would like to try it. Fairly easy to find, not too expensive & three critics give it  a score between 92 & 95. Online prices start at $21.89.

Distributor’s notes

Although Cabernet Franc is the star of Bodega Aleanna, in Mendoza (Argentina), the truth is that this project, whose wines are known as El Enemigo, is more focused on showcasing the terroir than the variety. So, although their Gran Enemigo Single Vineyard Gualtallary 2013 was the first Argentine wine to be awarded the coveted 100 Parker points, there are many other wines being made in its shadow. One of the lesser known, but equally stupendous wines is El Enemigo Semillón. This wine unfortunately goes unnoticed among the great award winners but, nevertheless, has its own talents. Although Argentine white wines are not as acclaimed as its reds, this small production of just a few bottles dazzles with its texture, freshness and elegance.

Its creators, Alejandro Vigil (Catena Zapata’s master winemaker) and Adrianna Catena (daughter of the driving force behind modern wine in Argentina, Nicolás Catena Zapata), are focused on the idea of rescuing some of the ancient Argentine winemaking techniques that have been forgotten over time, and on giving value to abandoned terroirs in the Mendoza region. Their El Enemigo Semillón comes from high-altitude vineyards in the municipality of Agrelo (Luján de Cuyo) and is made from Semillón grapes that are cultivated using respectful agriculture and limited yields. Once the grapes reach the winery, they are selected, destemmed and gently pressed, and the resulting must is fermented with native yeasts. The wine is then aged for 15 months in French oak barrels, with 20% under a yeast cap.

With El Enemigo Semillon, this creative duo fuses Old World winemaking traditions with the soul of the New World. A wonderful way to bring light and power to Argentine white wine.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 4

Thank you Rich, thank you Debbie, thank you Vanessa, thank you Ann, and thank you Dixie for all your work.  And thank you everyone for being here!

Hot weekend ahead! Stay cool.

Stay Safe, and prayers for those in need.

- Jack

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Kazu with foot infection and having foot pain

Cruzin Terri feeling very fatigued from Covid

StLouisCruisers with stomach issues

RIP Donald Sutherland

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Ger_77’s DH Maurice post valve replacement

JazzyV’s BFF post surgery for a tib-fib fracture, non-weight bearing

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome Home Lady Hudson (Katherine) and DS Karen!

Smitty34877’s DB coming to help for a few days

StLouisCruiser’s cough improving

Cruzin Terri’s now negative Covid test

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

swin26 (Rotterdam to June 22) 14d North Cape & The Midnight Sun, Himself (Eurodam to June 22) 7 Day Alaska Explorer, Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice and  StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 18
  • Thanks 19

44 minutes ago, LambKnuckles said:

@marshhawk  I promise I won't eat catfish -- at least not when you're around!!!

@smitty34877  Another child of the Hippies and Beatnicks and Wild Things....  

Now, I'm caught up and it's time to "Hit the day running"!!!

Thanks Lambie. I am reminded that I really hoped the world would be a better place. I have adjusted my thinking to help make my immediate world a bit better. Oh my. I was so naive. 
I enjoyed reading about your DH.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone! 

It is a cool start to the day.  Temps are supposed to get up to 87F followed by rain storms.  We shall see.  A quiet day is planned for today with just a visit to the gym on the agenda and then Farkle tonight.  Right now the house is nice and cool.  I'll shut the windows in a bit to keep the cool air in and the hot air out.  

@LambKnuckles I hope your fond memories of Howard help you today.  

@StLouisCruisers Sorry your tummy is still bothersome.  I hope that clears up soon.

I will celebrate yoga day today as I think the yoga is really helping me with my back issues.  Besides, if I do 10 minutes of yoga today, my watch awards me with a medal.  

I love eggplant, especially when it is grilled.  Onions and bell peppers are also grilled for this salad, so I am sure it is out of this world good.  I would love it!  Grilled Eggplant Salad

eggplantsalad1.jpg.d8e66fcaa7a9432e823024806bdf990e.jpg

Perfect for a hot summer day!

This next recipe uses pickled onions and a lemon dressing.  The lemon dressing sounds really good to me.  They also add in some feta cheese.  Eggplant Salad

eggplantsalad2.thumb.jpg.f3d8f8054afadbf14342468a6b038d2b.jpg

This next salad is totally different and is comprised only of eggplant and capers.  Still, it sounds intriguing and I would try it for something a bit different.  Grilled Eggplant with Capers

eggplantsalad3.thumb.jpg.0f8f14182d9a9379710454bf5f9756e7.jpg

You could easily do the same thing with zucchini or summer squash in place of the eggplant.  Both of those grill up well and would go with the seasonings and other vegetables.  

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 19
  • Thanks 16

Good morning everyone. It truly is TGIF but that does not mean much these days for this retiree. We met with our small church group last night. It was nice seeing them again but the evening was mainly a debriefing of our trip. Next week hope we can get back to Bible study. 
I have an optometry exam this morning so I must be prepared to answer which is clearest this or this? Always struggle with the distinction.

Sue will be leaving for her family’s annual sister’s next Wednesday which has gotten a little too much over the last few years with daughters, granddaughters included.

So it’s off to the shower as one must have clean eyes and eyebrows for the annual “that will be $600.00+ for new spectacles day.”

Thanks for the reports and enjoy your upcoming weekend. It will top off at 96F here today. Stay cool and hydrate. Bruce

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks for our TGIF Daily, Rich and thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Dixie & Ann for your ongoing dedication.

Nice collection of days.  I really like that quote.  And the wine?  @cat shepard Ann, I had that wine when we were in Argentina and brought several bottles back on the ship.  It is delicious.  I highly recommend trying it if the opportunity arises.

IMG_3079.thumb.jpeg.8bad3c8b36b81c859042f99ce9b940c5.jpeg

Well, wonder of wonders, the peonies finally started to open.  They are HUGE - never seen them so big.  Maybe that’s why they took so long to open?

IMG_3078.thumb.jpeg.4c15b6a4f19e1f1d3a747f3a2fe307df.jpeg

Quick post as I have an appointment with the foot nurse this morning.  Not sure if she can do anything but it needs the check up.

IMG_3077.thumb.jpeg.29c712521f37e35fe6d16c9446a08c63.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them 🙏 Cheers to those celebrating and cruising cheer 🥂 

• Like 38
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning from another cloudy day at the beach

Busy day today, so I am off and running.

@ottahand7  A very Happy Birthday weekend to your DH. Enjoy your time away

@LambKnuckles  Wishing you sweet memories of today.  I enjoyed reading about your wonderful husband.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. It is hot and humid. Very.

@ottahand7, Happy Birthday to John

Sorry I missed it yesterday.

@marshhawk, Annie, I hope your eye is ok. Your work schedule sounds exhausting.

i would love to be able to make music but my RA hands made that impossible a long time ago. We listen to our favorites all day long instead.

My DB has already been to the fish store. It opens at 8 and he got us halibut to grill later. The owner assured him the fish was fresh and he said it looked a lot better than anything available in his town.He will even man the grill for us. It is so nice to have him here.

Tana had a long night and is sleeping now. The nurse is returning soon to check on her. The fever unfortunately persists.

Take care everyone.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 12