Is Royal Caribbean still taking onboarding pictures?

I sailed the Icon a while back from Miami and realized it is the only cruise I do not have that “excited to be getting on” boarding photo from they usually take as you approach the ship. 

Has Royal Caribbean done away with this photo op? Or did we miss it because we boarded early at around 11 am and via the suite lounge? We got a photo with the ship background later that evening on the Royal Promenade, but it made me wonder if boarding photos are a thing of the past. 

13 minutes ago, PrincessCatarina said:

Has Royal Caribbean done away with this photo op? Or did we miss it because we boarded early at around 11 am and via the suite lounge?

That may be a port/time/location dependent thing - the opportunity should be there most of the time.

Yes, they’re still taking boarding pictures.  We get one every time.  If it’s not right as you’re boarding, ask a crew member where they’re set up.  Sometimes on the small ships they take the pictures near the photo shop. 

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

We weasel right past them every time.

You and me both. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

We never get the boarding pictures, but always get a couple of pictures since it’s a free perk for diamond, one each. 

Used to get the pictures of the ship but kind of let that go recently as well.  

• Like 1

Just now, leaveitallbehind said:

Used to get the pictures of the ship but kind of let that go recently as well.  

I'm on a cruise in October with parents from both sides. Not sure I can get away w/o having a photo taken this time.

• Haha 1

We sailed on Jewel out of San Juan this past March. My wife and I always just walk past the photo op because we don't want the picture but this trip was a family cruise and we had 4 first tme cruisers with us so we wanted to make sure they got their picture taken at boarding. We looked all over for it and couldn't find it. We've cruised out of San Juan many times and it's usaully at the bottom of the stairs where you scan your Seapass (or Set Sail Pass) for the first time to board the ship. The photo op was not there so we figured it would be up on the deck after we boarded. It wan't there either.

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I have never boarded a Royal Caribbean ship where they were NOT taking boarding photos.

We just went on Liberty out of New Jersey and no photos.  We did however, have them on the previous two on Wonder out of Port Canaveral and Odyssey out of Fort Lauderdale.

4 hours ago, LuCruise said:

We just went on Liberty out of New Jersey and no photos.  We did however, have them on the previous two on Wonder out of Port Canaveral and Odyssey out of Fort Lauderdale.

Hmmmm.  After a quadrillion cruises out of Cape Liberty, I was able to make my statement above.  But I'll be boarding Liberty next month, and will see if that experience mirrors yours!

• Like 1

I too  will be boarding Liberty soon  and will be upset if no pictures.  My daughter and I always get a pix at Cape Liberty  in the tee-shirts  she  orders for us for  each cruise.  It is a tradition for us.   

34 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

I too  will be boarding Liberty soon  and will be upset if no pictures.  My daughter and I always get a pix at Cape Liberty  in the tee-shirts  she  orders for us for  each cruise.  It is a tradition for us.   

You'll still be able to take pictures, even if the photographers are not set up at the top of the escalator and along the corridor to the boarding ramps.

You will just have to wait until you are on board, and wait for the evening.  🙂 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, snorkler8 said:

Anyone know about going out of Seattle (Ovation).  It sounds like it might really depend on the departure port?

I don't think that it is port dependent. Every RCCL cruise that I can recall that we have been on in the past 32 years has had a boarding picture station somewhere in the terminal, or perhaps on board. Typically in the terminal en route to boarding after check in. I cannot recall one that didn't.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I don't think that it is port dependent. Every RCCL cruise that I can recall that we have been on in the past 32 years has had a boarding picture station somewhere in the terminal, or perhaps on board. Typically in the terminal en route to boarding after check in. I cannot recall one that didn't.

That has been my experience also. I'm sure people buying the pictures is a decent source of revenue for them. I was shocked that they did not have one in San Juan in March

1 minute ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

That has been my experience also. I'm sure people buying the pictures is a decent source of revenue for them. I was shocked that they did not have one in San Juan in March

Yeah that's surprising.  As they are all 3rd party contracted services, there is no expense per se to the cruise line to have them available.  And with the % the cruise line takes from their sales, its all a plus revenue stream.  Maybe was an issue with the photography company.

Just to clarify on my post about Liberty...There were photographers around the ship taking pictures during the cruise.  But they didn't have someone right as you are boarding with the background (and prints the ship)