Think twice about booking a promenade view cabin

Currently on a cruise in a deck 6 Promenade view cabin to which we were "upgraded".  I can't overstate the level of noise in our cabin.  The gift shop below our cabin plays music with a booming base frequently during the day and night. The speaker is mounted directly under our cabin so we hear every "thump".  Plus, the shop holds drawings at various times which features staff yelling through the PA.  Right now, the 80's party is going on and it's so loud in our cabin that it's actually hard to hear the movie we were watching on the TV.  Should never have applied for an upgrade due to the risk of being assigned to whatever was left over.  This is the worst cabin we've had in almost 40 cruises. Unless you don't mind loud noise, don't consider a Promenade view cabin.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I've had a Promenade without problem as well... My suspicion is in the OP's description they listed a speaker directly under their window.  I imagine this is the difference between my and their experience.

I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for you...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry that didnt work out. 

We actually really enjoyed our promenade room, nothing noisy seemed to be going on before 10am in the morning or after 11pm at night, which suited us as the rest of the time we were mostly out the room.

We had to accept though if we were in the room and there was a parade or theme night going on such as the 80's night you mention, we had to be downstairs participating. I think you might have been a bit hopeful hoping to watch a movie whilst that was going on.

On the rare occasions that we book a PVR we always choose one on deck 8 near the rear elevators.  These rooms are VERY quiet even during parades and/or Promenade events.  While not our first option, these rooms are a good value for what they are, and a very good option for an alternative to a true inside cabin.  Just be careful of your location.

Not much you can do about your location if you RU but my advice is never ever RU within the same category that you are already booked in.  IOW, if you’re booked in an interior, only bid on higher categories (OV or above). That’s the only way to ensure that you actually do get a real upgrade…and I would never bid on a RU if I were in a GTY….which is never…

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Bluewake said:

Unless you don't mind loud noise, don't consider a Promenade view cabin.

Not all of those category cabins are the same in terms of noise. You might want to specify the cabin number.

Edited by Biker19

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

A perfect example of the risks associated with Royal Up and GTY cabins. 

Yep ,  i agree .

I wont do either of those  , as i pick my location to avoid any noise.

Cabins above and below me and not across from any service doors.

And near the back of the ship to lessen the foot traffic.

We always enjoyed our Promenade cabins; however, I always pick the cabin I want and would never do an upgrade without knowing where it was. Location, location, location is my motto! Sorry it didn't work out for you and look forward to your next cruise vacation! Cheers!

• Like 3

Many of us would not expect loud music from a gift shop below.  Please share the ship and cabin number so others can avoid that cabin.

We have enjoyed promenade cabins, though we watched the parades from our window or we were out of the cabin.

Posted (edited)

I tried a PV once on Liberty but never again. The room was so narrow you could barely walk between the foot of the bed and the dresser, and the upholstered piece of plywood in front of the window was so hard you couldn’t sit on it for five minutes. 
Our cabin was above the general store but noise was never a problem. 

Edited by HicksRA

3 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Many of us would not expect loud music from a gift shop below.  Please share the ship and cabin number so others can avoid that cabin.

We have enjoyed promenade cabins, though we watched the parades from our window or we were out of the cabin.

We are in cabin 6295 on the Adventure of the Seas. It is directly above the "Gift Jewelry" shop which is located just past the the excursions desk on deck 5.  The shop has a speaker positioned on a tall tripod at the rear of the store (directly below the floor of our cabin) which they use as a PA system and through which they play music to attract/entertain customers.  It's not a huge speaker but it's powerful and, for some reason, tends to resonate in our room, particularly the base.  We also are not too far from where the parties seem to be centered in the Promenade and those parties are quite loud.  We have been in a Promenade cabin once before but it was on deck 9 so the level really seems to matter.  We've always chosen our cabin but this was an "upgrade" bid offer and we were placed by the cruise line.  I guess that is the risk.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bluewake said:

We are in cabin 6295 on the Adventure of the Seas. It is directly above the "Gift Jewelry" shop which is located just past the the excursions desk on deck 5.  The shop has a speaker positioned on a tall tripod at the rear of the store (directly below the floor of our cabin) which they use as a PA system and through which they play music to attract/entertain customers.  It's not a huge speaker but it's powerful and, for some reason, tends to resonate in our room, particularly the base.  We also are not too far from where the parties seem to be centered in the Promenade and those parties are quite loud.  We have been in a Promenade cabin once before but it was on deck 9 so the level really seems to matter.  We've always chosen our cabin but this was an "upgrade" bid offer and we were placed by the cruise line.  I guess that is the risk.

Thanks for sharing that info.  It may help someone picking a promenade cabin, as one does not automatically expect a gift shop to be noisy. 

I agree that RoyalUp bids come with a risk that you will not like your new cabin location.  I’m sorry this happened to you, but I hope you are doing your best to enjoy your cruise.

I literally just wrote a post about this.  We've been in a 6th floor Promenade Room -- two rooms down from the Entertainment Bridge, which is where the singers /dancers perform -- and we only heard noise during the two dance parties, which only lasted 30 minutes each.  We loved sitting in our bay window watching the party without being pressed in the crowd.  

• Like 1

We enjoyed our PV cabins and currently have 2 cruises booked with deck 7 PV cabins. We've never stayed on deck 6, and I pick my cabin so I avoid the ones that seem like they could be noisy. I would have never thought above a gift shop would be noisy though! Good to know, for on this ship at least.