Currency question in Norway

MomC

Excuse my ignorance but is it actually difficult to get currency in the US for other countries? In the UK I can pop into my local Tesco or Post Office (other venues available 😜) and get a variety of currencies immediately (with a few I need to order and can get a couple of days later) so I always take some local currency with me.

• Thanks 1

In my experience in a large city with major national bank branches all around and the headquarters (titular) of Bank of America, overseas currency is available at a few designated branches in areas most likely to request such service. The types of currency are limited to the most common destinations. Norway Kr may not be included. Many currencies may be ordered for delivery to a local branch with some time delay, 2-3 days in my experience. There is a cost because I would be exchanging US$ for these currencies. 

I did this on my first two out-of-US trips and then the ATM revolution made currency access democratic, or at least as democratic as foreign travel, ATM/debit cards and plush bank accounts can be considered. 

Consider yourself fortunate to live in a smaller country* that is more familiar with travel outside of borders.

*smaller meaning less than 1500 kilometers to another country. I am that far from Canada, Mexico and Bermuda.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

is it actually difficult to get currency in the US for other countries?

A true story.

For one of our trips to the States, we drove the length of the Blue Ridge Highway and Skyline Drive through North Carolina and Virginia. We saw great scenery, listened to great "mountain music" and met interesting people (and for over two weeks, never came across any other foreign tourist). One day, we went into a small town to find lunch - which we did in the local McD's. Needless to say, as soon as we spoke, the staff knew we "were not from these parts". So, we started to chat and the thing  the young guys were most interested in is how we got our dollars. And they seem genuinely incredulous that, not only could we get dollars in the UK but that we got ours from the local supermarket. 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Australia and New Zealand are the winners (?) of the "tyranny of distance" competition. Yet the U. S. has achieved insularity in the geographic and figurative sense of that word.

I had read that London is 500 (air) miles closer to Beijing than Sydney is to Beijing and I had to consult a globe to see that is correct. Flat maps distort minds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harters said:

Oh, you guys in the big countries just slay me. 1500 kilometres and I'm four countries away from home. 😀

1,500 km and I'm still in Ontario with a pretty good drive ahead to the Manitoba border.

I have no problem getting pretty much any type of foreign currency around here; you can actually get USD at your local supermarket?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

you can actually get USD at your local supermarket?

Absolutely. No pre-ordering. 

I'm not sure of all the currencies they keep in stock but it includes Euros, Turkish lira and, most likely, other holiday destination currency. I'd guess they also stock South Asian currency - Bangladesh, India & Pakistan - to cater for local people returning to the family homeland to visit relatives.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Harters said:

Absolutely. No pre-ordering. 

I'm not sure of all the currencies they keep in stock but it includes Euros, Turkish lira and, most likely, other holiday destination currency. I'd guess they also stock South Asian currency - Bangladesh, India & Pakistan - to cater for local people returning to the family homeland to visit relatives.  

These locations such as Tesco, Postal office, others, they purchase currencies as well? What charge fee is there. You can purchase these currencies with a bank card, no "trading" currency?

I've taken numerous cruises to Norway and Scandanavia.    As many said tipping is not expected and common.    My observation has been that the majority of the tips he gladly accepted were in USD.   He was just pleased to be so honored for his hard work.     Since they work in the tour trade they easily convert whatever they receive in any currency. 

Remember they appreciate gratuities regardless of currency.   They fully understand most of their guests will not have Norwegian Krone

• Like 2

We were in Norway last summer.  We took a private tour after the cruise was over with our driver taking us to the hotel by the airport when we finished.  We were unable to get to an ATM after getting off the ship and asked our guide to stop at one.  She said not to worry because everything was included on the tour and any incidental we wanted could be paid for with a credit card.  So I guess she knew she wasn't going to get a tip in Krones, We did give her a tip with dollars and she seemed grateful but the cab driver not so much.  He did not want a tip.  He told us he made a decent wage and didn't need a tip.  He'd been a great driver, and my husband finally got him to take $20.  I sure didn't feel like an ugly American.   I think both of them appreciated that we appreciated their service and gave them a small reward.  Working in the tourist industry I'm sure they get enough dollars and euros that going to the bank once in a while isn't that big of a deal.  Scandinavians don't automatically expect a tip.  I think they both would have been fine if we'd left them nothing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've taken numerous cruises to Norway and Scandanavia.    As many said tipping is not expected and common.    My observation has been that the majority of the tips he gladly accepted were in USD.   He was just pleased to be so honored for his hard work. Since they work in the tour trade they easily convert whatever they receive in any currency. 

Remember they appreciate gratuities regardless of currency.   They fully understand most of their guests will not have Norwegian Krone

I respect your opinions and almost always find your postings most insightful. However on this one, I respectfully disagree. I think making the slight extra effort to obtain a small amount of foreign currency for tips is a way of showing respect for citizens of the country I am visiting.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Excuse my ignorance but is it actually difficult to get currency in the US for other countries? In the UK I can pop into my local Tesco or Post Office (other venues available 😜) and get a variety of currencies immediately (with a few I need to order and can get a couple of days later) so I always take some local currency with me.

Our US bank always has Euros and Pounds available.  If you need other currency, call and they will have it ready for you to pick up in 2 or 3 days.  

Edited by lilybug
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

These locations such as Tesco, Postal office, others, they purchase currencies as well? What charge fee is there. You can purchase these currencies with a bank card, no "trading" currency?

Briefly. Yes, they purchase as well so we'd be able to change leftover currency back into sterling. There's no fee, as such, although their exchange rates obviously incorporate their profit. And, yes, I can complete the transaction using a standard bank debit card. 

I get a very slightly better rate than that advertised by the supermarket as I have their standard loyalty card and present that as well. FWIW, today's rate 1 GBP = 1.24 USD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, iowananny said:

We did give her a tip with dollars and she seemed grateful but the cab driver not so much.  He did not want a tip.  He told us he made a decent wage and didn't need a tip.  He'd been a great driver, and my husband finally got him to take $20.  I sure didn't feel like an ugly American.

So why force your money on him then? The man said no - I'm sure a smile and a gracious thank you would have been appreciated just as much.

In countries where tipping is not the done thing, you could offer to buy your guide or driver lunch (or at least a drink)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Techno123 said:

Excellent. Next time I'm in the US I will tip using my left over Vietnamese dong. I will leave them a quarter of a million dong - I'm sure my server will be ecstatic (not).

You can leave your dong anywhere you wish 😂

• Haha 2

I understand others desire to get local currency, but I can tell you when I'm on  tour with mostly guests from countries that don't tip, I often find I am the only guest to show my gratitude by leaving a tip.  They have always been very grateful.   I also found that most tourist places in Iceland and Scandinavia almost all tourist shops took - Dollars, Pounds and Euros.   They would also give back change in what ever currency you use. 

I just don't like getting stuck with a pocket full of currency that I won't use.   We do always keep on hand Pounds, Euros and Canadian Dollars but I probably use ApplePay for 99% of all expenditures.