The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday June 26th, 2024

richwmn

Today is Bar Code Day, Canoe Day, and Harry Potter Day

What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.--J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Lemon Rosemary Pork Chops with Arugula Salad
Drink of the Day - Jack Frost
Wine of the Day - Louis M. Martini 2019 Lot No. 1 Cabernet Sauvignon (Napa Valley)
Destination of the Day - Salalah, Oman

Today in History:
1857 The first 62 recipients are awarded the Victoria Cross for valour in the Crimean war by Queen Victoria
2016 Panama Canal's third set of locks opens for commercial traffic, doubling the Canal’s capacity at an estimated cost of $5.25 billion

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Liverpool, England 07:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 21:30

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination Istanbul, Turkey, Galataport eta 06-27

Rotterdam

Skjolden, Sognefjord, Norway 08:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Westerdam

Anchorage AK, Alaska, Denali NP 07:00 - ovnt

Zaandam

Vancouver, BC Canada 7:00-16:00

Zuiderdam

Kirkwall, Orkney Island Scotland 08:00 - 17:00

0626World.thumb.png.39598648458d8f2f05ec96e8056b0b95.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 24

Good morning friends!  As per usual I awoke to cloudy skies today but this time we’re anchored off Kirkwall, Scotland.  Temp is about 54F and of course there is always a chance of rain.  Our tour will take place this afternoon, though it was originally scheduled for morning, but somehow Holland America will find a way to change things up for you if they possibly can.  Our tour will be to see the Ring of Brodgar, Skara Brae and Skaill House.  Sounds like we’ll see some archeological sites today.   As I predicted yesterday, by the time we left Stornoway the sun was out and it was a beautiful sail away.  Isn’t that always the case?

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps.  Hmm.  Bar codes, canoes and Harry Potter.  Nothing too exciting for me but YMMV.  I like the quote, the pork chops sound okay, not sure about the drink and DH would enjoy the Cabernet Sauvignon but not me.  A big day in history for the new locks at the Panama Canal and the first Victoria Cross recipients.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your F&B reports today.

Prayers for my DB, Alex’s twin boys, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and the men and women of the U.S. military stationed in the area.  Many prayers for our group here on the Daily care list especially Tana and the family caring for her.  My condolences Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando on the loss of your friend. 🙏 Good luck to Terri @Cruzin Terri at Mayo today and I hope they can do something about that shoulder.  My twin just told me yesterday she thinks she tore the bicep muscle from the bone getting out of the bathtub.  Probably the same shoulder she just had surgery on!  I sure hope not!  Best wishes to Ann @Vict0riann today – I hope all goes well for you.  Great photo of Golden Beach Debbie @dfish!  Is this on Lake Michigan?  A beautiful  spot, that’s for sure!  Cheers for all here celebrating special events and cruising!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV once again for your help with the list keeping.

The port today is Salalah, Oman which was the destination of the day on Feb. 16, 2022.  I have not been to Oman in the past so no photos.  Here’s the link for your convenience in retrieving your photos from that date. 

Have a good day all, and please try to stay safe and keep well.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 8

I love to pop in and read the Reports!!  And catch up with my Dailies' Friends!!!

I know each of these days and can celebrate...  I'm not really an Arugula fan...  but I'd try the pork chops!!  I could use some Jach Frost, today!!  It's going to be hot and humid!!!  And a glass of wine this evening would be wonderful!  I look forward to seeing some of Oman...

AND, I do have an author, friend, whom I am having breakfast with today...  and I can ask about those characters in her books I love and ask what they're doing and what's going on with her!  She just returned from Missouri and a visit with friends!  If you've read her, Tricia L. Sanders.  Cozy Mysteries is her genre...

• Like 33

Jack Frost Cocktail:

Ingredients:

Light corn syrup or honey for rimming glasses
Flaked coconut for rimming glasses
8 cups ice (more or less depending on desired consistency)
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup blue curaçao
1/2 cup vodka or light rum
1/2 cup cream of coconut

Directions:

Rim the glasses: Pour a thin layer of corn syrup onto a plate and dip the rims into the corn syrup, then dip in coconut flakes.
In a blender, blend ice, pineapple juice, blue curacao, vodka and cream of coconut until desired consistency is reached. Pour into glasses and serve immediately.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 6.47.22 AM.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 16

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  Thank you again for wishing DH a happy birthday.  I think he had a nice day of baking in the sun, playing with Lego and dining out.  Champagne and cake were had last night.  I took a personal day yesterday and it felt a bit odd.  I spent some time cleaning in my office and tinkering with my cruise souvenir cases.  Back to work with a day full of meetings.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.40de32097bb075cbb9eec435395fd496.png

• Like 32

Thank you Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for the Fleet Report and Daily.  I’ll celebrate bar codes and canoes but was never into Harry Potter..  Special prayers for Jacaui, Terri, Katherine’s friend, Sandi’s brother, Scottie, Ann, Chuck, and Tana.   I hope Terri's drive yesterday with the bad shoulder was not too hard, and that the Mayo people can make it a little less of an ordeal.   Happy Birthday Carol @mamaofami,

Interesting quote by Slinger.

I have been to Muscat in Oman but not to Salalah.

A great day in British and Panama Canal history, I have viewed the new locks both from the visitor center and the deck of the Rotterdam.

approach.jpg

I think the meal sounds good today and I’ll pass on an alternative.    

Today will be the one brutally hot day today..

Roy

• Like 30
  • Thanks 4

32 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  As per usual I awoke to cloudy skies today but this time we’re anchored off Kirkwall, Scotland.  Temp is about 54F and of course there is always a chance of rain.  Our tour will take place this afternoon, though it was originally scheduled for morning, but somehow Holland America will find a way to change things up for you if they possibly can.  Our tour will be to see the Ring of Brodgar, Skara Brae and Skaill House.  Sounds like we’ll see some archeological sites today.   As I predicted yesterday, by the time we left Stornoway the sun was out and it was a beautiful sail away.  Isn’t that always the case?

Thank you Rich @richwmn for today’s Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps.  Hmm.  Bar codes, canoes and Harry Potter.  Nothing too exciting for me but YMMV.  I like the quote, the pork chops sound okay, not sure about the drink and DH would enjoy the Cabernet Sauvignon but not me.  A big day in history for the new locks at the Panama Canal and the first Victoria Cross recipients.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your F&B reports today.

Prayers for my DB, Alex’s twin boys, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held, and the men and women of the U.S. military stationed in the area.  Many prayers for our group here on the Daily care list especially Tana and the family caring for her.  My condolences Annie @marshhawk and Chuck @catmando on the loss of your friend. 🙏 Good luck to Terri @Cruzin Terri at Mayo today and I hope they can do something about that shoulder.  My twin just told me yesterday she thinks she tore the bicep muscle from the bone getting out of the bathtub.  Probably the same shoulder she just had surgery on!  I sure hope not!  Best wishes to Ann @Vict0riann today – I hope all goes well for you.  Great photo of Golden Beach Debbie @dfish!  Is this on Lake Michigan?  A beautiful  spot, that’s for sure!  Cheers for all here celebrating special events and cruising!  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV once again for your help with the list keeping.

The port today is Salalah, Oman which was the destination of the day on Feb. 16, 2022.  I have not been to Oman in the past so no photos.  Here’s the link for your convenience in retrieving your photos from that date. 

I'm sorry to hear about your twin Sandi and hope the biceps tear is not serious.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having foot pain

Cruzin Terri fatigued post Covid, possible bicep muscle tear, at Mayo today

Lady Hudson’s friend having suffered a stroke, with some paralysis

Passing of marshhawk’s longtime friend 6/25

StLouisCruisers' twin with possible biceps muscle tear

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Marshhawk’s DH Chuck’s vascular issues

Rafinmd’s church member Paul post pneumonia, slow recovery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday mamaofami!

Dfish at DS Barb’s lake house

Cruzin Terri’s now negative Covid test

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Suslor (Rotterdam to June 29) 21d Midnight Sun & Norse Legends, Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Rotterdam to June 29) 7d Norse Passage + (Zuiderdam June 29 to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 18

Good afternoon.

It is 64°F and sunny here.

Nothing much to say about today's day's or quote.

We have been to Muscat Oman on Royal Caribbean Brilliance of the seas in January 2011 and January 2012 and on Royal Caribbean Vision of the seas in February 2017 but today's port was not on the itinerary for Oman.

Prayers 🙏 for all who needs them.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy day.

• Like 24

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's getting hot here again, and humid.  Yes, it's summer.

I'm not a Harry Potter fan, but bar codes and canoes are great.

Interesting quote.

The meal sounds interesting, but I'll cut back (or leave out) the rosemary.  Pass on the drink but I'll try the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for so many.  I hope all the Dailyites who are feeling poorly feel better soon.  I hope we all have something to celebrate.

Have a good day.

• Like 28

Good Wednesday morning!  Thanks for the Daily and map @richwmn.  Bar codes sure have made our lives easier, especially the stockers and check outs at grocery stores but I guess it also brought us the dreaded self check outs.  It has been a long time the last time I paddled a canoe.  My brother gave me one when I spent my first summer at the cabin by myself.   It was too difficult for me to paddle solo so I borrowed a row boat.   Harry Potter sure is popular.  I look forward to photos of today's port.  I like pork chops so today's meal will probably be a winner.  Today's cocktail minus all the ice would be good and yes on the vino.  Thanks for researching these for us each day @summer slope, @cat shepard and @dfish.

Thanks for the cares and celebrations reports @JazzyV.  Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Terri and everyone else who is ailing or grieving.  @StLouisCruisers your twin's predicament sounds like my late DH.  He retore two rotator cuff repairs,  one time trying to pry a large rock and the other time throwing a rollaboard in an overhead bin.  Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  Prayers for all suffering from the flooding in the midwest.

A dry day here hopefully.   It was supposed to drop into the 40s but it was 53 when I woke with a high in the 60s with a strong breeze.   More yard work here, planting my two little shrubs top of the list.  They arrived yesterday but it was too hot and windy so I gave them a bit of sun and then put them in a cooler.  Have a lovely Wednesday!  Nancy

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for the good wishes Sandi. 

I hope you have a great day in Kirkwall. When we did the Baltic last year, we did a private tour in Kirkwall, and it was one of our best days.  Make sure you dress warmly, including hat and gloves.  You can always take them off if you get too warm.

Good luck to your sister with her bicep injury.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good Wednesday morning. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

A hot one today in the 90s again. We may get rain later this evening, but I am not holding my breath as it always seems to rain around me. We shall see. I lost my cucumber plant to the heat. 

Nothing exciting happening today. Working on grading assignments for most of this day. There are 105 days until my cruise but who's counting. 

Happy birthday to @mamaofami.

101 Funny Cat Happy Birthday Memes | Funny happy birthday images, Happy ...

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Wednesday Cat Meme - Captions Profile

• Like 27

Good morning. Currently 84 degrees and will rise to mid nineties. Hear thunder in the distance but it looks like the storm will miss us. Yesterday’s way to cool down was a visit to my dermatologist. Had about ten suspicious spots frozen and I’m scheduled for a biopsy on leg and a spot on my back. Today I see my doctor for just a routine checkup.

I’ll be taking Sue to pick up a rental car in a bit. She is driving to Saint John’s Fla. today to daughter’s house and tomorrow they will drive to Virginia for the annual sister’s weekend.

So that’s what’s happening in our neck of the woods. Here’s wishes for a great Hump Day for all of you subscribers to the Daily. Thanks for the reports. Bruce

• Like 27

Good morning all

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann and Dixie for your contributions to this thread.

i actually have a friend who wrote a memoir.  

Thank you all for your good wishes today.

I am on a time schedule and have to shower and have breakfast prior to going to my appointment. Also have to get DH moving.  He takes a while to get going.

Driving yesterday was a challenge with my painful arm.  Not able to wear the sling while driving. Add some heavy rain in mid Georgia did not help the situation.

Don’t know yet if we are going home today.  It depends on what the Doc has in mind.  He may order imaging or refer to an Ortho Surgeon.  I sure hope surgery is not in my future.

@mamaofami  A very happy Birthday to you.

Hope everyone has a great day.  

Will update later when I know more.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

Good morning. The heat and humidity returned and the weather person tells us that we can expect storms tonight. I have not been to the port, like the meal and enjoy canoes. Bar codes are ok, I guess.

@Cruzin Terri, I hope the ortho doc can help with the biceps tear.

@dfish, The lake looks so beautiful. Enjoy and I hope the weather improves.

@mamaofami, Carol, Happy Birthday!

I have a baked ziti in the oven as Tana thought she might like that. I gladly turned the oven on if it encourages eating. We hope for a quiet day today and so far, so good.

Enjoy the day everyone!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Thanks for our daily dose of useful information.  Looks like it will be a nice summer day with a high of 91F, perfect for canoeing.  Bar codes have made our lives easier and fewer supermarket errors.  I really enjoyed the Harry Potter series, I read the entire series one summer a few years back.

I like the quote and I feel the same way occasionally.  

The meal and drink suggestions sound nice.  The drink looks really unique.

I have not been to today’s port.

Prayers for those on our prayer list and for those who need them.  Cheers to everyone who is celebrating a happy event today.  Happy birthday to @mamaofami!🥂

• Like 24

Happy Wednesday! I prefer a kayak to a canoe.IMG_0612.webp.7b2e15d7c94ac1c9560744ffc969500d.webp

Yesterday, Katie Pumphrey was the first person to swim from Sandy Point State Park near the Bay Bridge in Annapolis up the Patapsco River to the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, a distance of about 24 miles miles in a little over 14 hours. This year, after decades long clean-up efforts, the Inner Harbor was declared swimmable and fishable. She hopes her swim draws attention to the harbor’s safe waters and inspires more water recreation. (Picture taken by K Lam)

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 31