Changing Dining Time?

yogimax

This will be our first cruise on MSC and I understand we have been assigned early dining with exact dining time assigned once onboard.  As D+ on RCCL, I find this somewhat annoying and ridiculous.  Is there any way to change this before sailing to a later time?  Can we also request a table for two?  For what it's worth we received a "Status Match" to Gold which seems to mean very little.

I matched to Diamond on MSC and struggled with table assignment and times. We were assigned 5 pm at Waves in a long rectangular table for our party. Before dinner, we asked if we can switch to 6 pm and a circular table (it was very hard to hear across the long table because the tables are very tightly spaced with many people). Was lectured that they needed to find tables for families that got split before our "preference" can be met. Second night, we were late getting back from the port because we were late arriving to port. Was told that we had to go eat in the buffet. They could not accommodate us in the dining room. (Other people said they were able to eat in the dining room, space available, so YYMV.) Third night, we were assigned 5 pm (no change) at Olive to a long oval shaped table with the same issue were one end of the table couldn't hear the other. (Although a plus was that it was next to a window.) Asked again to be moved to a later time and a circle table. Fourth night, we were assigned 5 pm (no change) at Olive (no change) but at a circle table. Hallelujah. But now over half the cruise was already over.

So TLDR: It's extremely difficult to get times changed and we were unsuccessful in doing so. Table changes may be easier.

• Like 1

If you are unhappy with your assigned table, you should go to the area specified in the welcome aboard flyer for your sailing as soon as possible upon boarding. This is usually a deal or table outside of one of the MDRs. Seating assignment is not based on loyalty level, it is based on the experience you booked. If you booked Fantastica, you get a higher priority for your preferred dining time than if you booked Bella.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BazingAu said:

I matched to Diamond on MSC and struggled with table assignment and times.

Now, I'm beginning to worry.  As an RCCL Diamond, we're you disappointed with the service and cruise?

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Now, I'm beginning to worry.  As an RCCL Diamond, we're you disappointed with the service and cruise?

I think they very clearly stated they were disappointed in their dining table assignment and the lack of accommodation in trying to get it changed.

44 minutes ago, yogimax said:

I'll try to stay on topic here, but it was definitely a lot of time spent trying to get things changed/fixed/done on the entire cruise, and the dining piece was no exception. 

I did the process as stated by @JamieLogical (that's exactly where I went and I was booked in Fantastica), but it was just a lot waiting in lines - and multiple days I had to do this. It was all done on a paper notebook where they wrote down info - name, stateroom, preferred time, notes, etc. And the lists were pages long, so I think it's quite a tedious process for the crew as well. A bit shocked that this was all on paper and not some sort of optimization software.

2 hours ago, BazingAu said:

I'll try to stay on topic here, but it was definitely a lot of time spent trying to get things changed/fixed/done on the entire cruise, and the dining piece was no exception. 

I did the process as stated by @JamieLogical (that's exactly where I went and I was booked in Fantastica), but it was just a lot waiting in lines - and multiple days I had to do this. It was all done on a paper notebook where they wrote down info - name, stateroom, preferred time, notes, etc. And the lists were pages long, so I think it's quite a tedious process for the crew as well. A bit shocked that this was all on paper and not some sort of optimization software.

What ship were you on? When I was on the Meraviglia and changed dining times/tables a couple of times, it was definitely on a computer.

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

What ship were you on? When I was on the Meraviglia and changed dining times/tables a couple of times, it was definitely on a computer.

Meraviglia. They wrote the requests down in a notebook. The layout was on a computer, but it looked like they manually entered it into the computer once they figured where to put people.

We were on Virtuosa at the beginning of June and the story from most folks we spoke to was that the chances of changing was slim to none. The ship was busy and no one wanted 5.30 or 9.30.

Now these people may not be particularly representative of the reality, perhaps just those who were annoyed enough to mention it to everyone they spoke with (lots of whinging people on that particular cruise). People who have managed to get what they want are less likely to mention it.

A lot of it will be down to how full the ship is, demographics and nationalities as preferences are different.

I never worry about my dining assignment when sailing gen pop as I very rarely eat in the MDR. I prefer the flexibility, both food wise and schedule wise, of the buffet, and the variety of food there is much more than I have ever seen in anyone's home kitchen. As a Diamond member with MSC (earned with actual $$$ spent, not matched from another line), I always do at least my Diamond dinner in a specialty, and on longer cruises, will pay for a second specialty dinner as well. Maybe someday they will change to everyone having anytime dining like NCL, but then people will just complain about having to wait for a table.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2024 at 5:50 PM, BazingAu said:

I matched to Diamond on MSC and struggled with table assignment and times. We were assigned 5 pm at Waves in a long rectangular table for our party. Before dinner, we asked if we can switch to 6 pm and a circular table (it was very hard to hear across the long table because the tables are very tightly spaced with many people). Was lectured that they needed to find tables for families that got split before our "preference" can be met. Second night, we were late getting back from the port because we were late arriving to port. Was told that we had to go eat in the buffet. They could not accommodate us in the dining room. (Other people said they were able to eat in the dining room, space available, so YYMV.) Third night, we were assigned 5 pm (no change) at Olive to a long oval shaped table with the same issue were one end of the table couldn't hear the other. (Although a plus was that it was next to a window.) Asked again to be moved to a later time and a circle table. Fourth night, we were assigned 5 pm (no change) at Olive (no change) but at a circle table. Hallelujah. But now over half the cruise was already over.

So TLDR: It's extremely difficult to get times changed and we were unsuccessful in doing so. Table changes may be easier.

don't feel too bad. We had 9 in our group all linked 3 months out and we were sat at different tables. Imagine how hard it was to talk to them.

• Haha 1

Just to note....you have likely not been assigned a dining time....you have selected your dining preference.

We took a last minute trip on the Seashore last month and were assigned late dining.  The only booking option was Bella so we knew nothing was guaranteed.  We boarded early and went straight to the desk that was dealing with reservation changes.  The Maître-D was apologetic but said there was little he could do.  He said I will have "hundreds of requests" to move from late dining by the end of the day and I will have to fill the Fantastica's first.  The best he could do was move us from a group table to a 2 top.  We went the first night and walked out of the dining room at 11:05pm.  We didn't return.

4 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Just to note....you have likely not been assigned a dining time....you have selected your dining preference.

We took a last minute trip on the Seashore last month and were assigned late dining.  The only booking option was Bella so we knew nothing was guaranteed.  We boarded early and went straight to the desk that was dealing with reservation changes.  The Maître-D was apologetic but said there was little he could do.  He said I will have "hundreds of requests" to move from late dining by the end of the day and I will have to fill the Fantastica's first.  The best he could do was move us from a group table to a 2 top.  We went the first night and walked out of the dining room at 11:05pm.  We didn't return.

If late dining is that unpopular, MSC should adjust its dining times to adapt to its audience on that sailing. Finishing dinner at 11pm or later is perfectly normal for Italians, not so normal in other parts of the world. 

For our Mediterranean cruise with MSC, we chose Fantastica and picked early dining. I'm expecting a crowd of Italians, Spaniards and Frenchmen, so I don't think we will have any problems getting a table. 

4 minutes ago, MyriamS said:

If late dining is that unpopular, MSC should adjust its dining times to adapt to its audience on that sailing. Finishing dinner at 11pm or later is perfectly normal for Italians, not so normal in other parts of the world. 

For our Mediterranean cruise with MSC, we chose Fantastica and picked early dining. I'm expecting a crowd of Italians, Spaniards and Frenchmen, so I don't think we will have any problems getting a table. 

I say that every time we go.  This was the first time we had ever been stuck with it though.  It really did impact the trip, not eating dinner until 9pm and not finishing until 11pm is just not our thing.

36 minutes ago, MyriamS said:

They already have the earliest seating starting at 5:30... what more could they do to shift it earlier? If they made it at 4:30, then no one would want that seating time.

40 minutes ago, MyriamS said:

How can they adjust dining times when there is a finite number of seats in the MDRs?  The earliest seating on Seashore was 5pm.  There are two MDRs with three seatings, one with two, and the My Choice MDR.  You can’t squeeze more people into the MDR for early seatings.  EM

I wasn't aware that some MSC ships have 3 seatings, I suppose around 5pm, 7pm and 9pm? If one of the seatings (in this case the 9pm one) is wildly unpopular, then it will create a poor experience for the unlucky passengers assigned to it and, as you said, you cannot really fix it by shifting dining times earlier. In this case, it might be better to give up on fixed dining and instead switch to anytime dining, serve people quicky so they're done within an hour and half and, as soon as you clear a table, fill it again with another group. 

Or design ship with large enough MDRs in the first place. 🙂

• Like 1

If you give everyone anytime dining you will have long waits for tables.  It’s not a solution.  I’ve been there, had to wait.  Especially solos.  And even if food comes quickly, you can’t make people rush their meals to make room for more.  The Sea ships have three shifts in at least two MDRs.

IMG_3539.png

17 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

If you give everyone anytime dining you will have long waits for tables.  It’s not a solution.  I’ve been there, had to wait.  Especially solos.  And even if food comes quickly, you can’t make people rush their meals to make room for more.  The Sea ships have three shifts in at least two MDRs.

The rest of the industry has figured it out.  Maybe MSC should send some of those in charge undercover on the other lines.

But they haven’t all figured it out.  My experience on Celebrity last summer was a disaster.  I had select dining, but you had to make a reservation to eat when you wanted.  Otherwise you waited …and waited…. The first night it was an hour, second night 45 min.  Third night was a late port night so no wait.  After that I ate in the lackluster buffet.  On Carnival you log into the app and they tell you how long the wait will be…might be short, might be more than an hour.  EM

29 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

IMG_3539.png

Well, ncl has anytime dining and there are not long wait times.  I'm just pointing out one example of it working 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

IMG_3539.png

You're right that Anytime Dining creates lines that upsets people. However to me it is definitely the lesser of the two evils compared to very late/early seatings, because it is inherently more efficient. We were recently on P&O Iona, a ship with Anytime Dining only, and took around 1h15min for dinner without rushing. As soon as we left, someone else could fill our table.

The above ships has 3 seatings at 5pm, 7.15pm, 9.30pm, which means 2h15min between seatings. While some dinners will appreciate the leisurely pace, fast eaters like us will be done much faster than that, yet their tables will stand empty until the next seating starts. 

The Iona is a big ship and it was full on our voyage but we did find the Anytime dining (reservation only at 5.30 and 6pm and virtual queues from then on) to work nicely. Never had to wait more than 15min for a table at peak time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

Well, ncl has anytime dining and there are not long wait times.  I'm just pointing out one example of it working 

I don’t sail NCL but I understand they have a lot of optional free restaurants that take the pressure off the MDR.  EM

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I don’t sail NCL but I understand they have a lot of optional free restaurants that take the pressure off the MDR.  EM

NCL also heavily pushes diners to the specialty restaurants, a large percentage of passengers book the inclusive rate that includes meal(s) at specialty restaurants.  I see way fewer people in MSC's specialty restaurants. 

Edited by Até
Typp

20 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Yes, they do.  Well, a couple.  And it was the 24 hour restaurant that I missed the most when I was on my msc cruise.  It was no problem when the msc buffet stayed open until 4am, but when they switched to 1am, it sucked