Aft rooms i s anything wrong with them

latebuyer

Many (most) people here will sing the praises of aft facing cabins and certainly their opinions are valid.  On the flip side, we have observed noticeable vibration issues in aft cabins (and it isn't our imagination, as you can see the ripples in a glass of water that tell the tale) and as a result, we avoid them.  My wife puts her foot down on this issue.  That said, we have not been in an aft cabin on any ship that post-dates the launch of the Crown Princess, so never on a Royal or Sphere Class ship.  Perhaps the vibration issue is less pronounced or even non-existent.  But the wife's view on this has prevented us from testing out the newer ships and risking disappointment with so many cabins to choose from.  

• Like 1

Yes, if you are concerned about motion, get mid-ship, as low as possible.

I don't know which ship you are on, but know a 'sideways' inside cabin can be different that a regular layout, where the cabin is laid out horizontally (port to starboard orientation) and not vertically (aft to forward orientation)

I am also one of those who are sensitive to vibration.

That is what can be felt in AFT cabins, as they are above the engines.

It is so funny, because you realize how much you really feel it when you are sitting on the toilet, or like leaning against a wall or 'headboard'.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Haha 1

Thanks i went ahead and bought a mid aft but its baja deck. It seems lower decks not available as mid aft close to sold out. I think i got one of the cabins when people cancel a cruise as pretty good.Thanks for reminding me not to be cheap! Midship was sold out. Probably too cheap for that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks i went ahead and bought a mid aft but its baja deck. It seems lower decks not available as mid aft close to sold out. I think i got one of the cabins when people cancel a cruise as pretty good.Thanks for reminding me not to be cheap! Midship was sold out. Probably too cheap for that!

We like aft cabins!  Especially stern cabins!

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Many (most) people here will sing the praises of aft facing cabins and certainly their opinions are valid.  On the flip side, we have observed noticeable vibration issues in aft cabins (and it isn't our imagination, as you can see the ripples in a glass of water that tell the tale) and as a result, we avoid them.  My wife puts her foot down on this issue.  That said, we have not been in an aft cabin on any ship that post-dates the launch of the Crown Princess, so never on a Royal or Sphere Class ship.  Perhaps the vibration issue is less pronounced or even non-existent.  But the wife's view on this has prevented us from testing out the newer ships and risking disappointment with so many cabins to choose from.  

There was a time when people paid to feed the “magic fingers” beds in hotel rooms. 🤣 We like wake views when we can get these rooms and don’t mind the assertive wake-ups from thruster vibration as the ship gets into port. We joke it is a special spa feature.

have had an aft room once, it was a suite on the Emerald.  Wonderful cabin as we loved the wake view from the balcony.  Didn't have any motion issues, but the weather was good all cruise.  that's only a one cruise sample.   I have heard of possible soot issues on aft facing rooms on some ships though.  that could be a turn off.

• Like 1

I don't like aft cabins, not just because of the vibration and possible noise but also because of the soot.  Soot can be very unpredictable, depending on the wind and how fast the ship is going. I just don't want soot. I also want to watch where we are going rather than where we've been. 

We usually get a mid-ship cabin but this time there were no cabins left when I booked - 15 months in advance of the sailing!  So we went with mid-aft but as close as we could get to a mid-ship cabin.  

If you look at the reviews you will find a few more opinions.  Everyone is different. 

We usually choose a cabin on the Caribe level but we are going on the Baja level this time and I am happy with the cabin (after doing a lot of research as we haven't sailed yet!).  I think you will be too. 

Edited by paddingtonbear

@latebuyer on Princess I tend to choose mid ship or aft . I had a forward cabin once and did not like it at all, but that’s why there’s cabins in every category and every deck to choose from, all up to you. Not sure if it’s like real estate .

location, location, location. But forward cabins are not my favorite at all.

Only way to decide -is to try what’s comfortable for you.

I booked an aft cabin once on the Ruby Princess. The vibration bothered me.  I found it annoying enough that I had a hard time sleeping, and I usually sleep well on ships.

Since I like to feel movement I always book forward, and will continue to do so.

• Like 1

My hubby doesn't like aft. Something about the motion irks him. We both like forward, so that's what we mostly book.

One of the times I put us aft before I stopped ever doing that was the "bacon cabin." Don't remember the ship, deck or any other details, but we were somewhere over the MDR kitchen. They started cooking bacon way early in the morning, and that aroma traveled into our cabin. This didn't bother me at all, but poor hubby just couldn't sleep. The bacon called to him, and he wanted to answer the call. 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

we 'used to' book the far aft interior cabins on the CB where the door led outside to stairs that went up to the adult pool, then another set of stairs to the aft bar - definitely a go to place for us.

until 'rona ... now it's a balcony wherever we can book, still mid to aft, tho