Pacific Rim

Loved Pacific Rim!  We were lucky enough to eat there on 3 occasions during our cruise. The food, atmosphere and the guests we shared our table with couldn't be faulted. (Splendor in February.)

I had high expectations for Pacific Rim and Regent in general.  I was really disappointed in my dinner experience at Pacific Rim on the Explorer. We were a table of 8 and the server was overworked and the service wasn't as relaxed as I would have expected. The poor ladies just were moving as fast as they could.

1. I have never had sake and wanted to try a few. When the manager sat us I asked if I could a flight of sake and had a few other questions. She had to seat someone else and said she would be right back. She never returned. 

2. I ordered multiple appetizers to share. Only 1/2 of them showed up.  I didn't remind the server because she spent most of her time at the other end of the table and didn't come back to mine end. Also, I thought the other appetizers would appear eventually.  

3. I couldn't eat my main course. One bite and it was awful. The breadcrumbs were soggy and bitter tasting causing the shrimp to taste terrible. Server didn't notice or ask if I liked it.  I didn't need the main course so I just didn't eat it.  Enjoyed the rice.  
4. On the way out of Pacific Rim the manager was there and asked if we enjoyed dinner. I said no it was terrible. She responded "so glad to hear that" while looking at her phone. I repeated that I didn't not enjoy dinner and again she said so glad.  I asked why was she glad that I didn't enjoy my dinner. Then I explained what was wrong and that she didn't return to answer my questions. She said, well I sent the waitress over. I said the waitress didn't handle it and I asked for you.

5. never got to try the sake like I wanted.

I didn't raise a fuss at dinner since it was a large table with multiple dishes being served (several members order two entrees).  The servers were just overwhelmed with trying to get through the night.

Would I return to Pacific Rim - No, I enjoyed the food and had better service in Compass Rose (at dinner).  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, carolcp said:

I had high expectations for Pacific Rim and Regent in general.  I was really disappointed in my dinner experience at Pacific Rim on the Explorer. We were a table of 8 and the server was overworked and the service wasn't as relaxed as I would have expected. The poor ladies just were moving as fast as they could.

1. I have never had sake and wanted to try a few. When the manager sat us I asked if I could a flight of sake and had a few other questions. She had to seat someone else and said she would be right back. She never returned. 

2. I ordered multiple appetizers to share. Only 1/2 of them showed up.  I didn't remind the server because she spent most of her time at the other end of the table and didn't come back to mine end. Also, I thought the other appetizers would appear eventually.  

3. I couldn't eat my main course. One bite and it was awful. The breadcrumbs were soggy and bitter tasting causing the shrimp to taste terrible. Server didn't notice or ask if I liked it.  I didn't need the main course so I just didn't eat it.  Enjoyed the rice.  
4. On the way out of Pacific Rim the manager was there and asked if we enjoyed dinner. I said no it was terrible. She responded "so glad to hear that" while looking at her phone. I repeated that I didn't not enjoy dinner and again she said so glad.  I asked why was she glad that I didn't enjoy my dinner. Then I explained what was wrong and that she didn't return to answer my questions. She said, well I sent the waitress over. I said the waitress didn't handle it and I asked for you.

I didn't raise a fuss at dinner since it was a large table with multiple dishes being served (several members order two entrees).  The servers were just overwhelmed with trying to get through the night.

Would I return to Pacific Rim - No, I enjoyed the food and had better service in Compass Rose (at dinner).  

Carol - I am sorry you had to experience this!  And I have absolutely no reason to doubt, question, or explain away anything you have shared with us.  My very first thought while reading was...."And this is the type of experience that we're expected to pay extremely high and constantly increasing prices/fares for?" Now there will be some who will most likely say, "why didn't you call the manager over immediately and say something?"  And my thought would be, "Why should you have to do that in the first place?  Why should the responsibility for calling attention to sub-standard service and quality control on a luxury cruise line fall to being the customer's responsibility?"   Best Regards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pingpong1 said:

Carol - I am sorry you had to experience this!  And I have absolutely no reason to doubt, question, or explain away anything you have shared with us.  My very first thought while reading was...."And this is the type of experience that we're expected to pay extremely high and constantly increasing prices/fares for?" Now there will be some who will most likely say, "why didn't you call the manager over immediately and say something?"  And my thought would be, "Why should you have to do that in the first place?  Why should the responsibility for calling attention to sub-standard service and quality control on a luxury cruise line fall to being the customer's responsibility?"   Best Regards.

Why I didn’t call the manager over. Well I was expecting her to return since she told me she would. The servers basically dropped my main course off and never came back. They delivered multiple dishes to the wrong person at the table and the receiver didn’t know what they were eating until the correct person noticed. They didn’t even refill my water. 
the managers lack of attention at then end of the meal tells me my concerns wouldn’t have mattered to her since she didn’t even hear my comments TWICE on the way out. 

we had enough meals that missing most of mine that night wasn’t a big loss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carolcp said:

1 hour ago, carolcp said:

I ordered multiple appetizers to share.

It sounds like the poor servers would have been overwhelmed with just your table of 8. Multiple appetisers and entrees for individuals, were you all wanting to try as many things on the menu as possible?

26 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

It sounds like the poor servers would have been overwhelmed with just your table of 8. Multiple appetisers and entrees for individuals, were you all wanting to try as many things on the menu as possible?

That should not matter in the least and has no bearing on the "service", or lack thereof, that was received.  Regent advertises itself as a "5-Star Luxury Cruise Line"...and certainly charges for that service commensurate with their advertising.  If they can't deliver that "bespoke and personalized Service" (as advertised throughout their marketing literature), then she shouldn't build up those expectations with their would-be passengers in the first place.

• Like 2

Just now, pingpong1 said:

That should not matter in the least and has no bearing on the "service", or lack thereof, that was received.  Regent advertises itself as a "5-Star Luxury Cruise Line"...and certainly charges for that service commensurate with their advertising.  If they can't deliver that "bespoke and personalized Service" (as advertised throughout their marketing literature), then she shouldn't build up those expectations with their would-be passengers in the first place.

We will have to agree to disagree. Even land based restaurants would be overwhelmed if multiple individuals at a table ordered extra appetisers and entrees per person as that's a lot of food. I can't fathom ordering more than one appetiser, entree and a side dish. 

• Like 1

I ordered 4 appetizers to share with the table. One entree and the rice for myself. . Others at the table ordered two entrees (one is a body builder). Didn’t get my water refilled. 
The servers had multiple tables to take care of  and they didn’t linger too long anywhere. 

so besides the lack of attention I found my entree inedible. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, frantic36 said:

We will have to agree to disagree. Even land based restaurants would be overwhelmed if multiple individuals at a table ordered extra appetisers and entrees per person as that's a lot of food. I can't fathom ordering more than one appetiser, entree and a side dish. 

Part of the fun of Pacific Rim is trying/sharing various items on the menu.  Maybe I am a glutton?  

I don't think it should overwhelm server(s) to order multiple/shared items.  My wife and I (and often a shared table for 4) do this every time at Pacific Rim, and have not had an issue.

Our last cruise on Explorer (April of this year) we ate there several times and found the curries to not be as good as usual (the flavor was off). Everything else we tried was fine. I'm sure it was the Chef.  

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, carolcp said:

I have to say, although not for the same reasons, our experience of Pacific Rim on Splendor equates with yours.

We felt the rstaurant had absolutley no atmosphere or welcoming vibe. Service was poor - a long wait for anyone to actually come and take an order and then main courses were served as soon as we had finished. Main courses, duck and fish, were so overcooked as to be inedible. Did we complain? Well, we would have done if anyone had been around to complain to.

Such a contrast to Prime 7 where the food was excellent and service impeccable.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 4:57 PM, carolcp said:

. I have never had sake and wanted to try a few. When the manager sat us I asked if I could a flight of sake and had a few other questions.

A flight of sake would be interesting.  Does anyone reading have any experience with this on Regent?

Reference my Post #9:

Back to Splendor's Pacific Rim this evening.  Table for 2; not 8. Seated at 1825H.  (Restaurant always opens before stated 1830H.).  

Within 20 minutes--every table within sight filled.  

Excellent, attentive service, and we stayed for about two hours.  Appetizers were delightful--had two, and a soup.  I tried another Main.  This time, Chinese BBQ Ribs.  A WINNER!.

As for sake:  There is a separate Menu.  Lots of options.  That Menu is normally offered at dessert time--along with the regular dessert Menu.  But, based on prior experiences, if one is so inclined, ask for it earlier in your service.  

As always, YMMV, as to taste buds.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

On 7/9/2024 at 6:20 PM, pingpong1 said:

Why should the responsibility for calling attention to sub-standard service and quality control on a luxury cruise line fall to being the customer's responsibility?" 

Since it's the customer who determines that quality and service is sub-standard, how else will management know if the customer doesn't bring it to management's attention? 

On 7/9/2024 at 5:57 PM, carolcp said:

Would I return to Pacific Rim - No

I would try again if on another cruise.  We were on Explorer in Feb. and went to Pacific Rim 3 times in 14 nights.  We loved all the food and the service was superb.  I think in reality, with cruise ships, the turnover of crew impacts every aspect of the cruise, especially food, drink, and housekeeping.  So I wouldn't expect that, fleet wide, your experience is "normal."  

• Like 1

We just returned from the Grandeur cruise from Rome to Monte Carlo.  The service at Pacific Rim was excellent but the food was very inconsistent.  My wife ordered the sushi appetizer which was very good, but the Tiger Prawns and the Lobster Tempura were disappointing.  They both were heavily battered which overwhelmed the taste.  I ordered the Peking Duck with watermelon and it was excellent.  Hopefully it was just one of those nights.

What I found interesting were the open tables at all 3 specialty restaurants.  I would have thought they would have been full considering there are limited reservations.

2 hours ago, FL Wolfpacker said:

We just returned from the Grandeur cruise from Rome to Monte Carlo.  The service at Pacific Rim was excellent but the food was very inconsistent.  My wife ordered the sushi appetizer which was very good, but the Tiger Prawns and the Lobster Tempura were disappointing.  They both were heavily battered which overwhelmed the taste.  I ordered the Peking Duck with watermelon and it was excellent.  Hopefully it was just one of those nights.

What I found interesting were the open tables at all 3 specialty restaurants.  I would have thought they would have been full considering there are limited reservations.

Maybe your service was "excellent" BECAUSE of the empty tables. They may have decided to limit the number of tables because of limited staff.

9 hours ago, shuguley said:

Do you think some of the open tables at specialty restaurants might be reserved for guests in master and grand suits?

I don’t know. We had 7:30 reservations and didn’t leave until after 9 and several tables were never filled. 

I have seen nice restaurants on land will leave tables open if they do not have enough staff to support those tables.  This prevents people from leaving at then end of a meal, with poor service, mad and vowing never to return.

• Like 1

We haven't yet tried Pacific Rim - but will on our April 2025 cruise.  However we have eaten - quite a few times - at Red Ginger on Riviera which is the "model" on which PR was based when Frank del Rio bought Regent.

I have the same comments about Red Ginger.   Don't like the main courses (Malay Rendang is maybe an exception) but do like, a lot, the starters.  (Even the watermelon salad and I normally loathe watermelon!). so what we have done and will in April in PR is to order the starters like Dim Sum.  That is, several starters for the two of us and no main course and no dessert.

I like sake (have worked in Japan) but I can't imagine trying several at the same time...I would be on the floor!  Hot sake to me is heaven.  And RG has that so I assume PR does too.

1 minute ago, Hambagahle said:

We haven't yet tried Pacific Rim - but will on our April 2025 cruise.  However we have eaten - quite a few times - at Red Ginger on Riviera which is the "model" on which PR was based when Frank del Rio bought Regent.

I have the same comments about Red Ginger.   Don't like the main courses (Malay Rendang is maybe an exception) but do like, a lot, the starters.  (Even the watermelon salad and I normally loathe watermelon!). so what we have done and will in April in PR is to order the starters like Dim Sum.  That is, several starters for the two of us and no main course and no dessert.

I like sake (have worked in Japan) but I can't imagine trying several at the same time...I would be on the floor!  Hot sake to me is heaven.  And RG has that so I assume PR does too.

On our Splendor TA cruise last year, PR had zero Sake. And like you, I love hot Sake. Very disappointing, to say the least. We board Grandeur Monday in Barcelona and will enquire first day if they are offering Sake. If not.....most likely will not even bother to eat there.

1 hour ago, Hambagahle said:

no dessert.

Before you make that decision, might I recommend the lychee sorbet. I don’t remember it on previous voyages, but it was offered on Explorer in May, and I loved it. But I love lychees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gpilon said:

We board Grandeur Monday in Barcelona and will enquire first day if they are offering Sake

We were on Grandeur in Jan. and they had Sake, both filtered and unfiltered.

• Like 1