Unlimited Dining Package

Thought we would ask the wonderful experts on Cruise Critic their opinions.

We have been on a ton of cruises over the past 35 years. One of the aspects of cruising that we are unhappy with is the decline of the food, both quality and selection.

We have sailed primarily on Royal  and whereas four out of five cruises that we booked in the past were on Royal that isn't the case any longer. Of the seven most recent cruises, two were on Royal.

The menus on some evenings have nothing that we are interested in and it  becomes boring ordering from the same "every night" options. Going to the Windjammer also isn't very thrilling.

So, after that long explanation, we have booked the Unlimited Dining Package for an upcoming cruise. We don't like that we have to pay for meals that we are already receiving as part of our fare. And, the upscale restaurants, in our opinion have decreased in quality also.

We just want to hear other people's thoughts.

Thank you 

6 minutes ago, artvlay said:

We just want to hear other people's thoughts.

Food is subjective. You will find people who feel similarly to how you do & others who have no problem with the included food. Those are my thoughts.

• Like 4

After many years of doing the UDP we have determined that it's just too much food for us..... at least, for a 7 nights or longer cruise.  We now prefer to do a 3 night package plus our 2 BOGO coupons and finding "something else" to do the 2 remaining nights.  If we were not eligible for the BOGO coupons (not D+ or Pinn) then I probably would get the UDP since 3/7 nights would not cut it.

When you pay for "unlimited" (which is FAR from unlimited, BTW) dining you feel compelled to eat in a specialty restaurant for every lunch and/or dinner (or at least, we do).  Before long you are just waddling from meal to meal without even being hungry...at least, this is how we feel. With the 3 night plus BOGO we feel free to skip a meal (most often, lunch) now and then without the guilt of feeling that you've paid for something that we're not getting.

• Like 4

I'm booking the UDP more and more these days. The upgrade in the quality of food and service just make for a more enjoyable cruise.  While I didn't do it every cruise, on the next 5 I have it booked 3 times.  

• Like 6

I am interested to see everyone's thoughts too. We book primarily Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and have had similar thoughts about the quality of the food. We are booked next year on Symphony of the Seas, and I have been going back and forth on UDP as well. Today's thought is that I will go with the 3-night package. I think it is a good compromise. My husband and sons will be ok with ordering a premium selection steak (looks like this is still available) if we eat in the MDR. Beyond the cost, I am a little worried about the point  @RFerrington makes, because I am the type who thinks, "hey, we paid for this, now get in there and EAT" even if we are not hungry! I also reserve the right to change my mind another 50 times before the actual cruise!

• Like 2

As stated in another response, food is very subjective. I think food in the MDR ranges from average to very good. I think some menus (French for example) are significantly better than other menus (Italian for example). Overall I think the speciality restaurants are a notch above the MDR, but it’s not a big step.  I have purchased the UDP several times in the past when I thought the price was good, but I have never paid more than $99 for the UDP on a seven day cruise. However, we always go to at least one speciality restaurant per cruise to use the BOGO perk for being diamond plus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 12 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

As stated in another response, food is very subjective. I think food in the MDR ranges from average to very good. I think some menus (French for example) are significantly better than other menus (Italian for example).

And the Mexican menu is the absolute worst and I wish it hadn't come back on our Harmony cruise last month. Seriously, Taco Bell is superior to whatever that was.

In general I don't have an issue with the MDR food. I think of it as equivalent to a basic chain restaurant, though the selection definitely looks more high class. I don't pay extra for the dining plan but we had a comped dinner and Chops was fantastic. We also did Jaime's for lunch on boarding day and it wasn't any better than the MDR but it was a lot of food and a nice relaxed lunch while waiting for our room. Our next cruise we do have a package and will be trying everything because I am going to get my money's worth out of that suite but doubt it will be a regular thing for us.

I like it, but would only get it on an oasis class ship or a quantum class, because they have more than 3 restaurants to choose from. 

Add me to the camp that ends up overeating and spending every meal in a specialty restaurant, just because I can, and because it psychologically makes me feel like I got a better deal on the package. It's really too much food, and forces me to eat more meals than I otherwise would, but I get it anyway and I like having it. 

I wouldn't bother on a freedom, voyager, radiance or vision class ship. 

• Like 1

The ambiance, the level of service, views (for the most part, there are some venues without a window ie. Hooked on Navigator), comfortable space between tables rather than the next door table only 6 inches from you, not having waiters running at full speed everywhere all around, not having to hear announcements on a loud speaker for survey "10s", not waiting in line every night for 15 minutes at the front of the MDR for your "reserved" MyTime dining seat... everything about specialty is better including the level of food and service.

I don't think it's subjective at all. You can easily go to MDR and have a crab cake, a salad, steak, a desert, the one single piece of carrot or broccoli on your MDR main plate... anything in the MDR and then go over to Chops and order the exact same thing.... the differences are very clear.

If you can get UDP on sale 40% (until tomorrow when the current sale is over I assume) it's definitely a must do on most ships that have at least 3 specialty venues, which include Vision & Radiance Class.... it is super easy to cycle through each venue twice on a 7 night sailing and have totally different dinners, and then you can choose your favorite restaurant for the third time. I've done this a few times. Lunches are included too if you want (steak burger in Chops is the very best!), and also add Playmakers, Port Side BBQ, and other pay venues on the bigger ships.

Just my humble opinion.

Go for it 👍

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hoopster95 said:

The ambiance, the level of service, views (for the most part, there are some venues without a window ie. Hooked on Navigator), comfortable space between tables rather than the next door table only 6 inches from you, not having waiters running at full speed everywhere all around, not having to hear announcements on a loud speaker for survey "10s", not waiting in line every night for 15 minutes at the front of the MDR for your "reserved" MyTime dining seat... everything about specialty is better including the level of food and service.

I don't think it's subjective at all. You can easily go to MDR and have a crab cake, a salad, steak, a desert, the one single piece of carrot or broccoli on your MDR main plate... anything in the MDR and then go over to Chops and order the exact same thing.... the differences are very clear.

If you can get UDP on sale 40% (until tomorrow when the current sale is over I assume) it's definitely a must do on most ships that have at least 3 specialty venues, which include Vision & Radiance Class.... it is super easy to cycle through each venue twice on a 7 night sailing and have totally different dinners, and then you can choose your favorite restaurant for the third time. I've done this a few times. Lunches are included too if you want (steak burger in Chops is the very best!), and also add Playmakers, Port Side BBQ, and other pay venues on the bigger ships.

Just my humble opinion.

Go for it 👍

YEP, + 1

3 night package was plenty for us. MDR was so bad we only went 2 nights on an 8 day cruise. Used our 3 nights + paid the extra charge at playmakers 1 night ( very reasonable). the other 2 nights in the Solarium ( much better than Windjammer for dinner). windjammer is not bad for breakfast but we prefer the Solarium. For lunch grab a hot dog at the Dog House or some Mexican at El Loco. Park cafe has great breakfast and lunch options. Snack on pizza from Sorento's. We never went hungry.

• Like 2

We have often done the UDP, we much prefer it. Our most recent cruise we did eat in the MDR twice, first in over 100 nights at sea. It was okay. We won't do the UDP on our next 14 night sailing, we found it took too long to get the weight off after our last cruise, but we'll do a combination of specialty for dinner with the Solarium Bistro and a rare MDR night. I think just not doing the UDP lunches will help. 

• Like 2

On 7/4/2024 at 10:09 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

However, we always go to at least one speciality restaurant per cruise to use the BOGO perk for being diamond plus. 

We will be Diamond Plus on our next cruise in September. Can we use the BOGO loyalty perk if we pre-book the specialty restaurant before the cruise or does it have to be booked once onboard?

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

We will be Diamond Plus on our next cruise in September. Can we use the BOGO loyalty perk if we pre-book the specialty restaurant before the cruise or does it have to be booked once onboard?

It has to be booked on board. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going on my first Royal cruise since 2000 this November on Symphony and booked the UDP last week.  Looking forward to checking out all the restaurants onboard.  If I'm a fan then I'm going to do it again when we go on Odyssey next July.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Southern Dan said:

I'm going on my first Royal cruise since 2000 this November on Symphony and booked the UDP last week.  Looking forward to checking out all the restaurants onboard.  If I'm a fan then I'm going to do it again when we go on Odyssey next July.

Odyssey has about half the specialty compared to Symphony. 

17 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Odyssey has about half the specialty compared to Symphony. 

I know it doesn't have 150CP, Hooked and Johnny Rockets and the Italian places are different...is it missing anything else?  I'm most excited for 150CP on Symphony, I've heard nothing but good things!

19 hours ago, Southern Dan said:

I know it doesn't have 150CP, Hooked and Johnny Rockets and the Italian places are different...is it missing anything else?  I'm most excited for 150CP on Symphony, I've heard nothing but good things!

Stealing from the great work done here: Royal Caribbean Information Collection (rc.cruises)

Odyssey (Specialty):

Chop's Grille

Giovanni's Table

Playmakers

Symphony (Specialty):

150 Central

Chop's Grille

Hooked Seafood

Izumi

Jamie's Italian

Johnny Rockets

Playmakers

Wonderland

Trellis Bar

I'm not an expert on what is/isn't include in UDP so I'll leave that to others.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Southern Dan said:

I will be on Symphony also in November. Sailing on the 17th. This will be my 2nd time with UDP. Last time also on Symphony. I do one night at each and a 2nd time at Chops. I also try to eat lunch at one of the restaurants on sea days. Love the $20 a day credit to use at Johnny Rockets and Playmakers. Got some wings to go at night and ate them on my balcony. If you want to eat at Izumi, head there first and make reservations.  They fill up fast and you can’t reserve Izumi at the other restaurants. Enjoy!!!

• Thanks 1

We usually get the UDP especially on the larger ships due to there being more restaurants to chose to go to. We sailed Oasis in May had the UDP and have also booked again for September getting it again. We sail on Anthem in August but have not purchased the UDP as there are not as many specialty restaurants and it can get tedious especially not having a playmakers! ( I say we have not but there is time for my DW to get it as she would eat in Izumi every day). I like the fact you can choose to dine in a more intimate setting and feel a bit more well special. I get what some are saying that you have already paid for the inclusive food but hey to me I am on my holidays and if it suits me to do it I will. If you are in 2 minds about it try the 3 night package and see if you like it then next time get the UDP. Each to their own.

1 hour ago, dragontrainer said:

That's unfortunate.  I'll keep an eye out and if anyone posts the correct list I'll update or delete mine.

If you google the ships name and specialty restaurants you will get the list .